SeaMonkey 1.0 pl-PL for Mac

Re: L10n docs (was Re: How to get a voucher?)

Deb Richardson-2
Axel Hecht wrote:
> Crossposting to .l10n and .mdc to join forces here.

Nickolay has covered the specific questions, but I'd like to add that
I'm trying to put together a structure for a new "Hacking Mozilla"
handbook for the MDC.  One section I hope to include is specifically
about Localization projects, tools, and processes.

The current outline for the new Handbook is here:

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Sandbox:Mozilla_Development:Getting_Started

The outline is not finalized, so if you have specific ideas about what
might be added as subsections of the Localization section, I'd like to
add them.  Ideally, subsections will be relatively simple and logically
organized to bring a new contributor up to speed with how to get started
with, and how to contribute to, our localization projects.

~ deb

PS.  Any feedback about any part of the Handbook outline would be
appreciated.

Re: L10n docs (was Re: How to get a voucher?)

Oscar Manuel Gómez Senovilla
Deb Richardson escribió:

> Axel Hecht wrote:
>> Crossposting to .l10n and .mdc to join forces here.
>
> Nickolay has covered the specific questions, but I'd like to add that
> I'm trying to put together a structure for a new "Hacking Mozilla"
> handbook for the MDC.  One section I hope to include is specifically
> about Localization projects, tools, and processes.
>
> The current outline for the new Handbook is here:
>
> http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Sandbox:Mozilla_Development:Getting_Started
>

> The outline is not finalized, so if you have specific ideas about what
> might be added as subsections of the Localization section, I'd like to
> add them.  Ideally, subsections will be relatively simple and logically
> organized to bring a new contributor up to speed with how to get started
> with, and how to contribute to, our localization projects.
>
> ~ deb
>
> PS.  Any feedback about any part of the Handbook outline would be
> appreciated.

I posted here not long ago a kind of request for extension developers in
order to take care of the schema for localization. I only got positive
feedback from Axel. In order to not repeat, the thread was started on
13/02/06, with the subject "Extension structure". My point is that,
while firefox and thunderbird are the most popular, "the job is done",
in a way that MoFo core developers decide the structure and have no
intention to change, regardless it's good or bad, so I think those docs
should be focused mainly in extension developers (existing and new yet
to come). I believe that ignoring this is an assurance for failure,
because the most active development is for extensions, and these need to
be localized, just like the main products. That's my feedback, for
anybody interested.

Regards.

Re: L10n docs (was Re: How to get a voucher?)

Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez
Simos Xenitellis escribió:
> Such a guide would be really useful.
> If you find it difficult to write a guide in the form of documentation,
> you can provide a complete checklist
> for the process (with scripts and so on) having in mind a rather
> advanced user.
> This way they will be able to help out writing the proper documentation.

Sorry, I'm really short of time these days. I don't want to appear to
be a troll starting a "hot topic" and then disappearing. I'll try to
write a draft off-line and publish it in the wiki.

> Is MT not developed any more, so you have to do some of the work with
> scripts?

The real problem with MT is not that nobody maintains it (after all,
the source code is available and it's not so difficult to understand,
Henrik is clearly not a newbie in Java programming). The real problem
is that Henrik made a design decission that, over time, has proven to
not stand up (he though that there would always be two directory
levels under the ab-CD locale directory, and this has changed with
Firefox, Thunderbird and even Nvu). Internally, MT works with
Components and Subcompoments, not with a simple recursive
directory/file management, and changing that over the full program is
a huge task.

I'll keep the newsgroup informed when I post something in the wiki.

--
If it's true that we are here to help others,
then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?

Axel Hecht escribió:

> Oscar Manuel Gómez Senovilla wrote:
>>
>> I described the process I did for thunderbird 1.5 with potools in
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=14675170
>>
>> That needs some fix, mostly because the current cvs fixes some of the
>> issues, and the scripts have some (minor) improvement. I have also
>> pending to organize that with existing wiki docs.
>>

> That sounds like a good start, could you join that together with some of
> the tricks in
> http://wiki.mozilla.org/Draft:L10n:Creating_a_new_Localization (I should
> probably move that over to devmo) for check-out etc on devmo?

Well, sorry for the delay (I didn't forget it).

Finally, I created this page:
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/mozillacvs

Feel free to link it and suggest improvements or fixes.

Regards.