SeaMokey 2-42b8 and Thunderbird 45esr

Dave Yeo-3
Hi I've uploaded builds of SeaMonkey and Thunderbird built on the ESR
branch using Bitwises Gecko code. They're 2 commits behind, so the
readme and changelog haven't been updated to the same level as Firefox
ESR and still require RUN!. They also only have the extra requirement of
libvpx as well as possibly the nspr in the experimental repository
(untested with the stable version of nspr, the experimental one was
needed to build)
SeaMonkey is a special case as 2.42 was never released. I've backported
a couple of patches and have more that don't apply, need to hunt through
more bugs :) Both apps seem to run fine here though they seem to use
more shared memory and SM is somewhat slow.
Not sure that Lightning will be automatically installed, it was here
with an unpackaged binary. If needed I'll upload the XPI.
https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/dry-comm-esr31/downloads/seamonkey-2.42b8.en-US.os2.zip
https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/dry-comm-esr31/downloads/thunderbird-45.8.0b8.en-US.os2.zip
Dave

Re: SeaMokey 2-42b8 and Thunderbird 45esr

Frank-Rainer Grahl-2
The SeaMonkey Data Manager and Safebrowsing is broken in 2.42. There are around 10
bugs which should be backported but 2 have l10n changes. I have backports for them
and a list of the bugs. Just shoot me an email if you want them. They are current
because I am still building a (now) 2.42.9 for reference on Windows. I just don't
have individual patches but they could be extracted.

FRG

On Sat, 20 May 2017 16:23:47 -0700, Dave Yeo wrote:

>>Hi I've uploaded builds of SeaMonkey and Thunderbird built on the ESR
>>branch using Bitwises Gecko code. They're 2 commits behind, so the
>>readme and changelog haven't been updated to the same level as Firefox
>>ESR and still require RUN!. They also only have the extra requirement of
>>libvpx as well as possibly the nspr in the experimental repository
>>(untested with the stable version of nspr, the experimental one was
>>needed to build)
>>SeaMonkey is a special case as 2.42 was never released. I've backported
>>a couple of patches and have more that don't apply, need to hunt through
>>more bugs :) Both apps seem to run fine here though they seem to use
>>more shared memory and SM is somewhat slow.
>>Not sure that Lightning will be automatically installed, it was here
>>with an unpackaged binary. If needed I'll upload the XPI.
>>https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/dry-comm-esr31/downloads/seamonkey-2.42b8.en-US.os2.
zip
>>https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/dry-comm-esr31/downloads/thunderbird-45.8.0b8.en-US.
os2.zip
>>Dave

 Regards
 Frank-Rainer Grahl

Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
> The SeaMonkey Data Manager and Safebrowsing is broken in 2.42. There are around 10
> bugs which should be backported but 2 have l10n changes. I have backports for them
> and a list of the bugs. Just shoot me an email if you want them. They are current
> because I am still building a (now) 2.42.9 for reference on Windows. I just don't
> have individual patches but they could be extracted.
>
> FRG

Sounds good. I found a couple of patches that applied, bugs 1055954 and
1188348 and others that didn't apply. I'll send you a PM
Thanks.

> On Sat, 20 May 2017 16:23:47 -0700, Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>>> Hi I've uploaded builds of SeaMonkey and Thunderbird built on the ESR
>>> branch using Bitwises Gecko code. They're 2 commits behind, so the
>>> readme and changelog haven't been updated to the same level as Firefox
>>> ESR and still require RUN!. They also only have the extra requirement of
>>> libvpx as well as possibly the nspr in the experimental repository
>>> (untested with the stable version of nspr, the experimental one was
>>> needed to build)
>>> SeaMonkey is a special case as 2.42 was never released. I've backported
>>> a couple of patches and have more that don't apply, need to hunt through
>>> more bugs :) Both apps seem to run fine here though they seem to use
>>> more shared memory and SM is somewhat slow.
>>> Not sure that Lightning will be automatically installed, it was here
>>> with an unpackaged binary. If needed I'll upload the XPI.
>>> https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/dry-comm-esr31/downloads/seamonkey-2.42b8.en-US.os2.
> zip
>>> https://bitbucket.org/dryeo/dry-comm-esr31/downloads/thunderbird-45.8.0b8.en-US.
> os2.zip
>>> Dave
>

>  Regards
>  Frank-Rainer Grahl

Dave

Re: SeaMokey 2-42b8 and Thunderbird 45esr

Steve Wendt
On 05/20/17 04:23 pm, Dave Yeo wrote:

> Hi I've uploaded builds of SeaMonkey. They also only have the extra
> requirement of libvpx

With SeaMonkey 2.35, html5test.com shows H.264 and AAC support if you
have the (optional) libvpx and ffmpeg DLLs.  With this build, it appears
that libvpx4 is now required, but html5test.com says there is no H.264
or AAC support.

I am using nspr-4_12_0-4_oc00 and nss-3_23_0-4_oc00, as packaged here:
http://os2news.warpstock.org/mozsupport-2017-05-27.zip

And of course ffmpeg, as packaged here:
http://os2news.warpstock.org/mozmedia-2017-04-02.zip

With the addition of libvxp4.  I haven't added in hunspell and
libjpeg-turbo since your current build of SeaMonkey doesn't need it, and
the general consensus seems to be that the 45esr builds are generally
not worth using at this point; hopefully bitwise updates to 45.9 (why
would they not have pulled in the security updates yet?), and tracks
down the cause of the poor performance.

Steve Wendt wrote:
> On 05/20/17 04:23 pm, Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>> Hi I've uploaded builds of SeaMonkey. They also only have the extra
>> requirement of libvpx
>
> With SeaMonkey 2.35, html5test.com shows H.264 and AAC support if you
> have the (optional) libvpx and ffmpeg DLLs.  With this build, it appears
> that libvpx4 is now required, but html5test.com says there is no H.264
> or AAC support.

Hmm, you're right, plus the Bitwise release of Firefox is the same. I'll
open an issue shortly.

> I am using nspr-4_12_0-4_oc00 and nss-3_23_0-4_oc00, as packaged here:
> http://os2news.warpstock.org/mozsupport-2017-05-27.zip
>
> And of course ffmpeg, as packaged here:
> http://os2news.warpstock.org/mozmedia-2017-04-02.zip

I have all the latest installed so it's not that.

> With the addition of libvxp4.  I haven't added in hunspell and
> libjpeg-turbo since your current build of SeaMonkey doesn't need it, and
> the general consensus seems to be that the 45esr builds are generally
> not worth using at this point; hopefully bitwise updates to 45.9 (why
> would they not have pulled in the security updates yet?), and tracks
> down the cause of the poor performance.

I don't see any point in installing hunspell and currently the included
libjpeg-turbo works fine so why have extra requirements.
Why they're so slow to upgrade, I don't know, unless it is to avoid
trademark issues by only releasing unsupported versions of Firefox. I
tried to talk them into rebranding but they don't pay attention to me.
BTW, finally got around to applying Frank-Rainer Grahl's patches, after
reviewing and fixing my merge and hope to upload a new SM soon. I've
been using SM for quite a while, it's slow but usable, especially now
with the cursor issue fixed, thanks to Frank-Rainer. Hopefully it'll be
release quality once Bitwise fixes Firefox.

On 05/27/17 07:55 pm, Dave Yeo wrote:

>> libvpx4 is now required, but html5test.com says there is no H.264
>> or AAC support.
>
> Hmm, you're right, plus the Bitwise release of Firefox is the same. I'll
> open an issue shortly.

I see it; thanks.
https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/issues/216

> I don't see any point in installing hunspell and currently the included
> libjpeg-turbo works fine so why have extra requirements.

I think we have agreed on this point several times already.  :-p

> Why they're so slow to upgrade, I don't know, unless it is to avoid
> trademark issues by only releasing unsupported versions of Firefox.

45esr is already fully obsolete.

> BTW, finally got around to applying Frank-Rainer Grahl's patches, after
> reviewing and fixing my merge and hope to upload a new SM soon.

Thanks, as always!  Thanks as well to Frank for his input (and helping
to keep SeaMonkey alive).

> with the cursor issue fixed

Somehow I have missed seeing this problem?

Re: SeaMokey 2-42b8 and Thunderbird 45esr

Dave Yeo-3
Meant to send this to the newsgroup,

On 05/27/17 08:57 PM, Steve Wendt wrote:
>> with the cursor issue fixed
>
> Somehow I have missed seeing this problem?

The cursor was periodically vanishing when inputting text, irritating.
See https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/issues/213 For now I've
branched Firefox, hopefully Bitwise will apply the patches, good chance
as Lewis is a supportive SM user.
Dave

Re: SeaMokey 2-42b8 and Thunderbird 45esr

Frank-Rainer Grahl-2
You sure that is caused by the missing appconstants? This patch was only for the
Data Manager. I think it and the sanitizer were the last consumers of the old
formhistory at this time.

I had some trouble with text editing in this version and backported a few editor
fixes. There were also in the patch and the sheet especially bug 1258085, bug
333064 and bug 1257363 I think.

On Sat, 27 May 2017 23:32:57 -0700, Dave Yeo wrote:

>>Meant to send this to the newsgroup,

>>> Somehow I have missed seeing this problem?
>>
>>The cursor was periodically vanishing when inputting text, irritating.
>>See https://github.com/bitwiseworks/mozilla-os2/issues/213 For now I've
>>branched Firefox, hopefully Bitwise will apply the patches, good chance
>>as Lewis is a supportive SM user.
>>Dave

 Regards
 Frank-Rainer Grahl

On 05/28/17 07:44 AM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
> You sure that is caused by the missing appconstants? This patch was only for the
> Data Manager. I think it and the sanitizer were the last consumers of the old
> formhistory at this time.

It seems to have fixed it in both Firefox and SeaMonkey here. Tested
with a couple of builds of Firefox as well as SeaMonkey.
Perhaps it was a coincidence but as it was one of the few Firefox fixes
from you, I started with it and testing Firefox
Dave

Re: SeaMokey 2-42b8 and Thunderbird 45esr

Frank-Rainer Grahl-3
Hmm interesting. If it was missing in other parts you should have seen errors
in the log.
FRG

Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
> Hmm interesting. If it was missing in other parts you should have seen
> errors in the log.
> FRG

After fixing a couple of files that didn't merge right and applying your
patches, it seems to be working pretty well, except for the performance
issue, which needs to be fixed in the Gecko code
Thanks
Dave