Script to automatically add new product versions to the database?

Script to automatically add new product versions to the database?

PhilMills
The company I work for has a pretty rapid new-version rate (3 to 4
releases a day x 5 or 6 products - mostly test code, but mgmt would
like to track it anyway), so keeping the product/version information
up-to-date by hand is starting to be a real hassle.

Could somebody point me to a script that I could modify (or, better
yet, have my release tools generate and run) that would automagically
add a new Version into the database for a given Product?

I know just enough perl/cgi/sql to get myself into trouble, but not
quite enough to knock this one out on my own yet - modifying existing
code, though, is doable.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks,
Phil Mills

RE: Script to automatically add new product versions to the database?

Benton, Kevin
> The company I work for has a pretty rapid new-version rate (3 to 4
> releases a day x 5 or 6 products - mostly test code, but mgmt would
> like to track it anyway), so keeping the product/version information
> up-to-date by hand is starting to be a real hassle.
>
> Could somebody point me to a script that I could modify (or, better
> yet, have my release tools generate and run) that would automagically
> add a new Version into the database for a given Product?
>
> I know just enough perl/cgi/sql to get myself into trouble, but not
> quite enough to knock this one out on my own yet - modifying existing
> code, though, is doable.

It sounds like what your company really wants is a source control
management system (SCM) to track that.  Bugzilla isn't really designed
to be used in the way you're specifying.  In fact, that's exactly what a
SCM does.  Then, version numbers really do make sense and are related to
what's actually released.

If your company is set on doing it the way you suggest, it seems you
ought to consider using a text field for your version information - that
way your users don't have to come to you so often and you can focus more
on the other tasks of caring for Bugzilla.  Many users have co-opted the
status whiteboard field for other uses like this.

In my group, we use it like this:

Vmm.nnBLaa

where mm is the major release number, nn is the minor release number,
and aa is the base level.  We also use Perforce for our SCM (nice GUI
and runs on Windows and Unix).

---
Kevin Benton
Perl/Bugzilla Developer
Advanced Micro Devices

The opinions stated in this communication do not necessarily reflect the
view of Advanced Micro Devices and have not been reviewed by management.
This communication may contain sensitive and/or confidential and/or
proprietary information.  Distribution of such information is strictly
prohibited without prior consent of Advanced Micro Devices.  This
communication is for the intended recipient(s) only.  If you have
received this communication in error, please notify the sender, then
destroy any remaining copies of this communication.

Re: Script to automatically add new product versions to the database?

PhilMills
We've got a lovely SCM system (well, honestly, we've got a crap one, but we're transitioning over to BitKeeper in a month or so, and that rocks the house, so to speak).  It's just that there's enough different codes running through the testing labs that they'd like to be able to gripe about each one individually as different combinations of features interact and break different stuff.  Every release is already automatically named, stamped and tagged in the SCM, so tracking within the SCM isn't an issue (and BK will make that even easier), and our build and release tools automatically generate some XML documentation on each release ("this was based on release xxx, released on mm.dd.yyyy, features these changes and will identify itself as zzzzz", only more verbose) that it puts to the intranet page for each project.  We're tracked and annotated - we just want to be able to gripe accurately and consistently.

We've certainly thought about snagging a few chars of the whiteboard or other text fields, but I think everybody will agree that short of cattle prods taped to the bottom of the deskchairs, it's gonna be a chore to re-train the users to do that consistently.  It's an option if I can't figure out a way to auto-populate the list, but it (not having all the versions available in the Versions list) has been the number one complaint from all the users in our group so far.  Tacking on a script that lets BugZilla know about a release seems to be the sane thing to do.

--
**
Phil Mills
Also at: [hidden email]