Screenshot comparison method: A proposal for Mozilla Firefox l10n Quality Assurance

Screenshot comparison method: A proposal for Mozilla Firefox l10n Quality Assurance

chandan kumar
Hello Everybody,

Localization of software plays an important part in software
development life-cycle.
To ensure the maximum correctness and quality of localization. We are
proposing an idea named Screenshot Comparison Method in which there is a
visual comparison of screenshots of source language and target language is
done and a test plan is prepared. Depending upon the test plan modification
is done.
The above proposal is tested manually on Mozilla Firefox 20.0
in English and Hindi locale. The same can be created for other software in
different locale.
I am also proposing a gui mock-up for the same. <3>
Links
<1>Screenshot comparison method in pdf <
https://github.com/chandan47kumar/Screenshot-Comparison-method-proposal/blob/master/docs/mozillafirefoxl10naproposal.pdf

<2>Screenshot comparison method in odt format<
https://github.com/chandan47kumar/Screenshot-Comparison-method-proposal/blob/master/docs/mozillafirefoxl10nqaproposal.odt

<3>Gui mockup for screenshot comparison method <
https://github.com/chandan47kumar/Screenshot-Comparison-method-proposal/blob/master/docs/mozillascreenshot1.png

Please read the above docs and comment on the proposal in order to improve
it and to make software localization testing easy.

Thanks,
With Best Wishes,
Chandan Kumar
Final Year, Computer Science and Engineering
Dr.B.C.Roy Engineering College, Durgapur
https://ciypro.wordpress.com

Re: Screenshot comparison method: A proposal for Mozilla Firefox l10n Quality Assurance

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay
On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 5:00 PM, chandan kumar
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> To ensure the maximum correctness and quality of localization. We are
> proposing an idea named Screenshot Comparison Method in which there is a
> visual comparison of screenshots of source language and target language is
> done and a test plan is prepared.

At what stage of the localization/string_translation workflow do you
propose to invoke test runs?

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>

Re: Screenshot comparison method: A proposal for Mozilla Firefox l10n Quality Assurance

maktrix
On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 5:30 PM, chandan kumar <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Everybody,
>
> Localization of software plays an important part in software
> development life-cycle.
> To ensure the maximum correctness and quality of localization. We are
> proposing an idea named Screenshot Comparison Method in which there is a
> visual comparison of screenshots of source language and target language is
> done and a test plan is prepared. Depending upon the test plan modification
> is done.
> The above proposal is tested manually on Mozilla Firefox 20.0
> in English and Hindi locale. The same can be created for other software in
> different locale.
> I am also proposing a gui mock-up for the same. <3>
> Links
> <1>Screenshot comparison method in pdf <
>
> https://github.com/chandan47kumar/Screenshot-Comparison-method-proposal/blob/master/docs/mozillafirefoxl10naproposal.pdf
> >

> <2>Screenshot comparison method in odt format<
>
> https://github.com/chandan47kumar/Screenshot-Comparison-method-proposal/blob/master/docs/mozillafirefoxl10nqaproposal.odt
> >

> <3>Gui mockup for screenshot comparison method <
>
> https://github.com/chandan47kumar/Screenshot-Comparison-method-proposal/blob/master/docs/mozillascreenshot1.png
> >

> Please read the above docs and comment on the proposal in order to improve
> it and to make software localization testing easy.

We work with hundred thousands of strings, and taking screenshots for each
context would be huge.

IMHO, to ensure consistency (I wont use the term - *correctness*) *Style
Guide* should be the way. Moreover, anyone can use *Translation Memory* to
get more assistance.

regards
mak_
translator (bn_BD)

> Thanks,
> With Best Wishes,
> Chandan Kumar
> Final Year, Computer Science and Engineering
> Dr.B.C.Roy Engineering College, Durgapur
> https://ciypro.wordpress.com

Re: Screenshot comparison method: A proposal for Mozilla Firefox l10n Quality Assurance

Axel Hecht
Hi Chandan,

I think such a tool would be a great idea.

I have a few questions/suggestions:

Taking the screenshots and hooking them up in the tool should be less
work than the testing, right? Any ideas on how to do that?

You'd probably want to not test for 21 if you tested 20, and the
screenshots are the same? If it changed, have an option to show the
previous states?

How to deal with multiple users having both similar and distinct input?
How does the localizer flag input as addressed?

Re linking to the editor, we already have huge challenges linking from
UI to source while the app is running. Do you have proposals here, in
particular when you transfer them to screenshots, even?

Axel

On 4/15/13, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At what stage of the localization/string_translation workflow do you
> propose to invoke test runs?

In the gui mock-up, i have written that we can compare the source
screenshot and target screenshot by two ways: <1> one is manually <2>
other is through invoking test runs.
The test will be invoked when we start comparing the screenshot of the
source and target file of a software i.e. during localization testing.
The question comes how it is invoked, as i have thought.If the
reviewer get the string terminology in the test item, in the
background, that the meaning of that string is searched in the
pre-defined set of terminology list (like : fuel terminology)
/translation memory and that meaning is compared with the target
string, and source translation is compared the target translation
according to style guide for both cases if  it is equal, then test is
passed otherwise it fails.

we can also provide a  choice for reviewers, if the context of the
string is not valid with respect to the application and source file
screenshot, the reviewer may change the test cases.

I hope there may be a better solution exists. Please propose it.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 6:15 PM, mak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We work with hundred thousands of strings, and taking screenshots for each
> context would be huge.

According to the devised  proposal, we are selecting the different modules
of the software one at a time. for each module, we are generating the
screenshot in order to compare from source to target to review the context
of string with reference to software.

IMHO, to ensure consistency (I wont use the term - *correctness*) *Style
> Guide* should be the way. Moreover, anyone can use *Translation Memory*to get more assistance.

Yes, you are right.
we can use Style Guide, a list of standard terminologies and translation
memory of different software as a parameter to review the translation  of
target file submitted by translator automatically through running test. I
am thinking about how to check the context of each string in relation to
application during screenshot comparison in order to fill the test plan.

Thanks,
With Best Wishes,
Chandan Kumar
Final Year, Computer Science and Engineering
Dr.B.C.Roy Engineering College, Durgapur
https://ciypro.wordpress.com

Re: Screenshot comparison method: A proposal for Mozilla Firefox l10n Quality Assurance

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay
On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 12:02 AM, chandan kumar
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> In the gui mock-up, i have written that we can compare the source
> screenshot and target screenshot by two ways: <1> one is manually <2>
> other is through invoking test runs.
> The test will be invoked when we start comparing the screenshot of the
> source and target file of a software i.e. during localization testing.

I was merely asking when you are proposing to do this testing - during
end-of-day when the translator commits to the repo, during the
translation review phase and so forth ...

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>

Re: Screenshot comparison method: A proposal for Mozilla Firefox l10n Quality Assurance

chandan kumar
On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 12:02 AM, chandan kumar
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > In the gui mock-up, i have written that we can compare the source
> > screenshot and target screenshot by two ways: <1> one is manually <2>
> > other is through invoking test runs.
> > The test will be invoked when we start comparing the screenshot of the
> > source and target file of a software i.e. during localization testing.
>
> I was merely asking when you are proposing to do this testing - during
> end-of-day when the translator commits to the repo, during the
> translation review phase and so forth .

During Translation review process, i am proposing to do this.

Thanks,
With Best Wishes,
Chandan Kumar
Final Year, Computer Science and Engineering
Dr.B.C.Roy Engineering College, Durgapur
https://ciypro.wordpress.com

Re: Screenshot comparison method: A proposal for Mozilla Firefox l10n Quality Assurance

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay
On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:00 AM, chandan kumar
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> During Translation review process, i am proposing to do this.

And, approximately how many screen(s) is the current proposal going to
require a reviewer to go through?

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>

Re: Screenshot comparison method: A proposal for Mozilla Firefox l10n Quality Assurance

chandan kumar
On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 6:50 PM, Axel Hecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Axel,

> I think such a tool would be a great idea.
>
> I have a few questions/suggestions:
>
> Taking the screenshots and hooking them up in the tool should be less work
> than the testing, right? Any ideas on how to do that?

Currently Deckard <A web based glade runner> is available for producing
screenshot of GTK application. We can implement it for other application to
produce and compare screenshot of source and target side by side.

> You'd probably want to not test for 21 if you tested 20, and the
> screenshots are the same? If it changed, have an option to show the
> previous states?

If two screenshots are found similar then we can skip by finding similar
screenshot by using google similar image search algorithm or some other
best algorithm.
If we use the concept of sessions used in the web browser to show previous
pages, may be it create an option to show previous state.

 How to deal with multiple users having both similar and distinct input?
> How does the localizer flag input as addressed?

Re linking to the editor, we already have huge challenges linking from UI
> to source while the app is running. Do you have proposals here, in
> particular when you transfer them to screenshots, even?

I am thinking upon both the suggestion, soon i will come up to with some
proposal.

Thanks,
With Best Wishes,
Chandan Kumar
Final Year, Computer Science and Engineering
Dr.B.C.Roy Engineering College, Durgapur
https://ciypro.wordpress.com

Re: Screenshot comparison method: A proposal for Mozilla Firefox l10n Quality Assurance

chandan kumar
On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:26 AM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > During Translation review process, i am proposing to do this.
>
> And, approximately how many screen(s) is the current proposal going to
> require a reviewer to go through?
>
> It will depend upon the module of that project which is selected by the
reviewer. The reviewer has to go through as many screen(s) produced or
linked with module.

Thanks,
With Best Wishes,
Chandan Kumar
Final Year, Computer Science and Engineering
Dr.B.C.Roy Engineering College, Durgapur
https://ciypro.wordpress.com

Re: Screenshot comparison method: A proposal for Mozilla Firefox l10n Quality Assurance

Faisal Aziz-2
HI Chandan,

As far as i am getting into the system,It seems a nice idea to me for
comparing the screenshots, but I am doubtful about how we gonna manage the
states and  How we can manage revisions for different screenshots,?
I am curious to know how you will break the translations in modules  for
screenshots?

Thanks!

[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:00 AM, chandan kumar
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > During Translation review process, i am proposing to do this.
>
> And, approximately how many screen(s) is the current proposal going to
> require a reviewer to go through?
>

> --
> sankarshan mukhopadhyay
> <https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>

Re: Screenshot comparison method: A proposal for Mozilla Firefox l10n Quality Assurance

chandan kumar
 Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 6:50 PM, Axel Hecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Chandan,
>
> How to deal with multiple users having both similar and distinct input?
> How does the localizer flag input as addressed?

i am not getting the above suggestion/question. please explain it.

On Tuesday, April 16, 2013, chandan kumar wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:26 AM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <
> [hidden email] <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
> '[hidden email]');>> wrote:
>
>> > During Translation review process, i am proposing to do this.
>>
>> And, approximately how many screen(s) is the current proposal going to
>> require a reviewer to go through?
>>
>> It will depend upon the module of that project which is selected by the
> reviewer. The reviewer has to go through as many screen(s) produced or
> linked with module.

Have you tried it out with a couple of modules, for your language?

--
Sent from my microwave!

Re: Screenshot comparison method: A proposal for Mozilla Firefox l10n Quality Assurance

Francesco Lodolo [:flod]
This sounds really interesting, considering that screenshots are useful
not only to compare your localization with the original text, but also
to check if you have problems with strings not fully displayed in the
interface.

The only limit I see to this approach, by reading the proposal, is that
it will work only on Linux. I remember there were Mozmill tests on l10n
builds with screenshots, not sure what happened to that project/idea.

Francesco

Re: Screenshot comparison method: A proposal for Mozilla Firefox l10n Quality Assurance

chandan kumar
On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:49 AM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Have you tried it out with a couple of modules, for your language?
>
> I have proposed that idea with the help of screenshot comparison method
and deckard web tool.
i have tested my hypothesis through taking screenshots manually by creating
modules just like the same for my own language as i have shown it in pdf
and writing test plan.
Based on one application and a method, This type of tool will be possible
based on the above proposal.

Thanks,
With Best Wishes,
Chandan Kumar
Final Year, Computer Science and Engineering
Dr.B.C.Roy Engineering College, Durgapur
https://ciypro.wordpress.com

Re: Screenshot comparison method: A proposal for Mozilla Firefox l10n Quality Assurance

chandan kumar
Hello Flod,

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM, flod <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This sounds really interesting, considering that screenshots are useful
> not only to compare your localization with the original text, but also to
> check if you have problems with strings not fully displayed in the
> interface.
>
> The only limit I see to this approach, by reading the proposal, is that it
> will work only on Linux. I remember there were Mozmill tests on l10n builds
> with screenshots, not sure what happened to that project/idea.

The above proposal will work on all types of operating system whether on
linux/mac/window...if webbased can be used for any environment.

2013/4/16 chandan kumar <[hidden email]>

> The above proposal will work on all types of operating system whether on
> linux/mac/window...if webbased can be used for any environment.

I didn't check http://deckard.malizor.org/, I thought it was a GTK software
working on Linux.
So this could only be used to check the localization, not how the
localization is actually displayed?

Francesco

Re: Screenshot comparison method: A proposal for Mozilla Firefox l10n Quality Assurance

Mark Banner-4
On 16/04/2013 06:34, flod wrote:
> This sounds really interesting, considering that screenshots are useful
> not only to compare your localization with the original text, but also
> to check if you have problems with strings not fully displayed in the
> interface.
>
> The only limit I see to this approach, by reading the proposal, is that
> it will work only on Linux. I remember there were Mozmill tests on l10n
> builds with screenshots, not sure what happened to that project/idea.

It is certainly possible to use MozMill to do screenshots - the
Thunderbird unit tests take screenshots whenever a test fails, and
hence, something similar could be used for L10n if desired.

I remember some discussion about it previously as well, but have no idea
when that was.

Mark.

2013/4/16 Mark Banner <[hidden email]>

> I remember some discussion about it previously as well, but have no idea
> when that was.

January 2011 on this list
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/mozilla.dev.l10n/mozmill/mozilla.dev.l10n/w4KsaakoutA/gN_FM7l7OekJ
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/mozilla.dev.l10n/mozmill/mozilla.dev.l10n/TBf1snKpFu0/WV7PrTdP3SYJ