Screen Readers + Firefox Popups Focus

Ken Saunders-2
Hi all and happy new year.
I'm considering adding Answers.com Tips to some web pages but I need
some information on how screen readers handle popups in Firefox 3. A
popup box appears with the definition of a word that has been double
clicked.
I'm assuming that the popup window (if the popup is allowed by the
user) will be focused for visitors using screen readers and that there
wouldn't be any issues with the screen reader reading the text in the
popup window, but I'm unsure of how screen readers react when closing
the popup.

Now for sighted people, they can click on a close button for that
popup or click on the web page and the popup will be closed. I'm
guessing that a person using a screen reader would also have to
manually switch the focus to the web page to close the popup but does
the focus return to the exact spot from where they left off or does
the user have to scan through the whole page to get back to where they
were?
For sighted persons clicking on the web page to close the popup, the
focus is not returned to the text that they had double clicked on that
initiated the popup but when they click on the close button in the
popup it is.

So, is a screen reader user more likely to use a close button in a
popup window and how do they even know what their options for closing
it are?

Where is the focus when they close that window?

What happens if JavaScript isn't even enabled?

And is this all on a case by case basis according to the coding that
is used or is it universal for all popups?

It sounds like a lot to go through just to provide a definition for a
word but sometimes knowing the definition of a single word is key to
the reader's ability to comprehend a whole sentence or paragraph and
if they don't understand what they are reading, then I will have
failed to get the intended information to them and they will simple
leave the site.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this and I know, it's long over due
that I crack down and prepare for the future by learning to use a
screen reader.

My visual impairment is congenital and hasn't really changed
dramatically over the past year or so, but I have had Diabetes for 24
years and Diabetic Retinopathy is a leading cause of blindness so
being prepared (just in case) isn't such a bad idea.

Thanks
Ken

www.AccessFirefox.org

RE: Screen Readers + Firefox Popups Focus

mozilla accessibility
For simple popups generated via window.open, focus is returned to the place it was last in the parent document (generally the control that caused the popup).  You can simply use the system's standard shortcut key for closing windows or tabs. For instance, I'm using Firefox3 on Windows and have the browser set to open new tabs on window.open, so control+f4 closes the popup and returns me to the button that spawned it.

For other kinds of popups (i.e. things you make via HTML pieces (divs and spans etc) plus javascript/css, things work only as well as they are programmed. Focus is not preserved and needs to be programmatically manipulated.

Hope this helps...
-- Rich

-- Rich

Re: Screen Readers + Firefox Popups Focus

Ken Saunders-2
Hi Rich,
Thanks for replying.
In this situation control + f4 (or W) closes the popup and the tab.
That's too bad because it's a really cool and helpful feature that
opens up and displays within seconds.
Thanks again.

Ken