Screen Reader Detection

ohneworte
hello together

there are some flash-methods to figure out, if the client uses a
screen reader (e.g.: http://osflash.org/flashaid#demo). the dectetions
returns "true" or "false". is there also a possibility to get the
information, WHICH screen reader is used (to distinguish jaws and
window-eyes)?

would be a great help!

Re: Screen Reader Detection

Steve Faulkner-2
On Apr 14, 3:35 pm, ohneworte <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hello together
>
> there are some flash-methods to figure out, if the client uses a
> screen reader (e.g.:http://osflash.org/flashaid#demo). the dectetions
> returns "true" or "false". is there also a possibility to get the
> information, WHICH screen reader is used (to distinguish jaws and
> window-eyes)?
>
> would be a great help!

This method 9i understand) only detects the use of MSAA, it is not a
"screen reader" detection method.
Assistive Technology that makes use of MSAA includes JAWS, Window
Eyes, Zoomtext, Dragon naturally speaking, NVDA + others.

Using it to provide different or modified content for "screen reader"
user's is therefore not recommended as user's of the software
mentioned include blind, vision impaired, those with cognitive and
motor skill impairments. Also user's of "screen readers" cannot be
charactised as a homogenous group, and their needs may differ widely.

regards
stevef

Re: Screen Reader Detection

Steve Faulkner-2
On Apr 14, 3:35 pm, ohneworte <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hello together
>
> there are some flash-methods to figure out, if the client uses a
> screen reader (e.g.:http://osflash.org/flashaid#demo). the dectetions
> returns "true" or "false". is there also a possibility to get the
> information, WHICH screen reader is used (to distinguish jaws and
> window-eyes)?
>
> would be a great help!

PS: forgot to mention also:  it only works in Internet Explorer.

regards
stevef

Re: Screen Reader Detection

Mario Lang
ohneworte <[hidden email]> writes:

> hello together
>
> there are some flash-methods to figure out, if the client uses a
> screen reader (e.g.: http://osflash.org/flashaid#demo). the dectetions
> returns "true" or "false". is there also a possibility to get the
> information, WHICH screen reader is used (to distinguish jaws and
> window-eyes)?

My personal opinion on this is that such a feature would add
more harm in the long run, rather than improve things.  There are more
than just those two screen readers out there, and if you are going
this route, you're falling into the "This site was optimized for blabla"
trap.  Accessibility can not be about forcing users to use a certain
screen reader (and therefore, a certain platform).  It should be
about choice.

Please reconsider if you really need this or if there are other possible
solutions for your problem.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>

Re: Screen Reader Detection

ohneworte
I agree with both of you and in normal circumstances I would also
prefer a "universal design", that is suitable for everyone. I am aware
that there are many Screen Readers and a lot of different
disabilities, but I am working on a kind of "Thick Client" right now,
where I know a lot about the clients environment.

So inside this particular environment it is - in my opinion - safe to
make a distinction between Screen Readers. Beside all general
concerns, is there now a way to achieve this goal?
Greetings!

Re: Screen Reader Detection

Victor Tsaran
The only way you could distinguish between screen readers is by looking
at process names, JFW for JAWS, WinEyes for Window-eyes etc. But then
you better make sure that you include them all. :)
So it may end up being a pretty messy game.
But this is really OT for this list.
Vic