SPARQL

Daniels, Marcus G
Hi,

Has anyone thought about putting a triple store / SPARQL query processor
into Firefox?

Thanks,

marcus

Re: SPARQL

Eric Prud'hommeaux
* Marcus G. Daniels <[hidden email]> [2007-12-05 18:21-0700]
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone thought about putting a triple store / SPARQL query processor
> into Firefox?

I haven't, but I did stick one in MySQL [SM]. I took the yacker c++
output and dinked with the semantic actions 'till it generated the SQL
parse tree that I wanted. What sort of query facilities do you have in
Firefox? Does it map pretty well to SPARQL?

[SM] http://www.w3.org/2005/05/22-SPARQL-MySQL/

> Thanks,
>
> marcus

-eric

office: +1.617.258.5741 NE43-344, MIT, Cambridge, MA 02144 USA
mobile: +1.617.599.3509

([hidden email])
email address distribution.

Re: SPARQL

Daniels, Marcus G
Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
 > I haven't, but I did stick one in MySQL [SM]. I took the yacker c++
 > output and dinked with the semantic actions 'till it generated the SQL
 > parse tree that I wanted. What sort of query facilities do you have in
 > Firefox? Does it map pretty well to SPARQL?
 >
 > [SM] http://www.w3.org/2005/05/22-SPARQL-MySQL/

So the idea would be to generate C++ that called the SQLite primitives
in mozStorage?  http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Storage

I was thinking of this in the context of a semantic web virtual machine
application where it would be useful to reduce query costs as far as
possible, e.g.  http://neno.lanl.gov/

Thanks,

Marcus

Re: SPARQL

Axel Hecht-2
Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone thought about putting a triple store / SPARQL query processor
> into Firefox?

I thought about it, but I'm not too fond of that API myself. There is a
more js-friendly API approach I took recently on
http://hg.mozilla.org/users/axel_mozilla.com/rdf2/?file/cdbb088c4a5b

Note that the RDF engine in mozilla is phasing out, so there's not much
backing for big changes.

Axel

Re: Re: SPARQL

Eric Prud'hommeaux
* Axel Hecht <[hidden email]> [2007-12-06 11:56+0530]

> Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Has anyone thought about putting a triple store / SPARQL query processor
> > into Firefox?
> >

> I thought about it, but I'm not too fond of that API myself. There is a
> more js-friendly API approach I took recently on
> http://hg.mozilla.org/users/axel_mozilla.com/rdf2/?file/cdbb088c4a5b
Looking at
  http://hg.mozilla.org/users/axel_mozilla.com/rdf2/?raw-file/cdbb088c4a5b/docs/index/General.html
I didn't get a sense of how this API is used. Does it permit you to
query for arbitrary graph patterns? Is there a HelloWorld I can look
at?

Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> * Axel Hecht <[hidden email]> [2007-12-06 11:56+0530]
>> Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Has anyone thought about putting a triple store / SPARQL query processor
>>> into Firefox?
>>>
>> I thought about it, but I'm not too fond of that API myself. There is a
>> more js-friendly API approach I took recently on
>> http://hg.mozilla.org/users/axel_mozilla.com/rdf2/?file/cdbb088c4a5b
>
> Looking at
>   http://hg.mozilla.org/users/axel_mozilla.com/rdf2/?raw-file/cdbb088c4a5b/docs/index/General.html
> I didn't get a sense of how this API is used. Does it permit you to
> query for arbitrary graph patterns? Is there a HelloWorld I can look
> at?

http://hg.mozilla.org/users/axel_mozilla.com/rdf2/?file/cdbb088c4a5b/test_api.js
isn't really hello world, but it's what I used for running some queries.

If you checked out the rep on
hg.mozilla.org/users/axel_mozilla.com/rdf2,
http://hg.mozilla.org/users/axel_mozilla.com/rdf2/?raw-file/cdbb088c4a5b/docs/files/api-js.html
would look better, I'm not saying that it'd be great docs, though.

To answer your question though, no, it doesn't support arbitrary graph
patterns, in particular, it doesn't support '..' in xpath lingo, i.e.,
arbitrary depth wildcards. I though sparql does, not sure if that's true
or not.

The setup is totally different to sparql, of course, as it's working on
js objects rather than turtle strings. Think more jQuery and less SQL.

Axel