SM on MAC

Ray Davison
I made some statements in an attempt to help someone with a problem with
SM on Mac OS X 10.5.8.  Is setup similar?

Can you run with the switch -Profilemanager?

Can you put the app, profile and mail/news in separate places, none of
which are on the boot partition?

TY
Ray

Re: SM on MAC

Dave Yeo-3
Ray Davison wrote:
> I made some statements in an attempt to help someone with a problem with
> SM on Mac OS X 10.5.8. Is setup similar?

Should be relatively similar. I don't know MAC but can make some guesses.

> Can you run with the switch -Profilemanager?

It should be supported along with all the other command line options
such as -help.

> Can you put the app, profile and mail/news in separate places, none of
> which are on the boot partition?

IIRC the MAC uses something like a zip file that is mounted on the file
system so it is like you could just CD into the zip and execute it from
there. Don't know what the rules are about where it can be put.
Being a Unix, the profile and mail/news probably has to go into the HOME
directory as that is the only place a user usually has write access.
You could put the app, profile and mail/news anywhere, make the
locations read/write for the user and symlink them to the HOME directory
but may need to be done from the command line using the command line tools.
As  said, I'm mostly guessing, the MAC is a hybrid
Dave

Re: SM on MAC

Cameron Kaiser-2
On 12/11/13 9:27 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:

> Ray Davison wrote:
>> I made some statements in an attempt to help someone with a problem with
>> SM on Mac OS X 10.5.8. Is setup similar?
>
> Should be relatively similar. I don't know MAC but can make some guesses.
>

>> Can you run with the switch -Profilemanager?
>
> It should be supported along with all the other command line options
> such as -help.
>

>> Can you put the app, profile and mail/news in separate places, none of
>> which are on the boot partition?
>
> IIRC the MAC uses something like a zip file that is mounted on the file
> system so it is like you could just CD into the zip and execute it from
> there. Don't know what the rules are about where it can be put.
> Being a Unix, the profile and mail/news probably has to go into the HOME
> directory as that is the only place a user usually has write access.
> You could put the app, profile and mail/news anywhere, make the
> locations read/write for the user and symlink them to the HOME directory
> but may need to be done from the command line using the command line tools.
> As  said, I'm mostly guessing, the MAC is a hybrid
> Dave

Typing this on Tenfourbird on a Mac ...
Everything in the profile for SeaMonkey is stored in
~/Library/Application Support IIRC. You could symlink this somewhere
else if you like. The app can be anywhere.

Cameron Kaiser

Re: SM on MAC

Cameron Kaiser-2
On 12/12/13 10:27 PM, Cameron Kaiser wrote:

> On 12/11/13 9:27 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:
>> Ray Davison wrote:
>>> I made some statements in an attempt to help someone with a problem with
>>> SM on Mac OS X 10.5.8. Is setup similar?
>>
>> Should be relatively similar. I don't know MAC but can make some guesses.
>>

>>> Can you run with the switch -Profilemanager?
>>
>> It should be supported along with all the other command line options
>> such as -help.
>>

>>> Can you put the app, profile and mail/news in separate places, none of
>>> which are on the boot partition?
>>
>> IIRC the MAC uses something like a zip file that is mounted on the file
>> system so it is like you could just CD into the zip and execute it from
>> there. Don't know what the rules are about where it can be put.
>> Being a Unix, the profile and mail/news probably has to go into the HOME
>> directory as that is the only place a user usually has write access.
>> You could put the app, profile and mail/news anywhere, make the
>> locations read/write for the user and symlink them to the HOME directory
>> but may need to be done from the command line using the command line
>> tools.
>> As  said, I'm mostly guessing, the MAC is a hybrid
>> Dave
>>

> Typing this on Tenfourbird on a Mac ...
> Everything in the profile for SeaMonkey is stored in
> ~/Library/Application Support IIRC. You could symlink this somewhere
> else if you like. The app can be anywhere.
>
> Cameron Kaiser

Er, in a *folder* under ~/Library/Application Support (I think it's
~/Library/Application Support/SeaMonkey).

Re: SM on MAC

Ray Davison
Cameron Kaiser wrote:

> Er, in a *folder* under ~/Library/Application Support (I think it's
> ~/Library/Application Support/SeaMonkey).

About once a week here "mozilla.support.seamonkey" someone cries "I lost
my mail".  Often it is the result of an "upgrade", because the profile
got changed.  On OS/2 and Win my advise since Netscape has been to give
the mail it's own tree, apart from both app and profile, on a data
partition and point to it in mail setup.  Is that possible on a Mac?

Ray

Re: SM on MAC

Cameron Kaiser-2
On 12/16/13 11:25 AM, Ray Davison wrote:

> Cameron Kaiser wrote:
>>
>> Er, in a *folder* under ~/Library/Application Support (I think it's
>> ~/Library/Application Support/SeaMonkey).
>
> About once a week here "mozilla.support.seamonkey" someone cries "I lost
> my mail".  Often it is the result of an "upgrade", because the profile
> got changed.  On OS/2 and Win my advise since Netscape has been to give
> the mail it's own tree, apart from both app and profile, on a data
> partition and point to it in mail setup.  Is that possible on a Mac?

I'd just symlink it, personally.

Cameron Kaiser