SM and Flash

Ray Davison
When I started this iteration of trying to isolate the source of the
email scroll delay I started with everything new.  New Hardware, new OS,
new profile, new mail files.  There were to be no questions about
leftover profiles, uncompressed, huge, attachment loaded mail files......

I built SM 1.0 until it broke.  It broke when I added Flash (7.0.14 &
7.0.61).  At that point what had been an acceptable scroll time added a
very noticeable delay.

After I induced the delay by adding Flash I ran 1.7.12 using the same
profile.  I observed that 1.7.12 with Flash has a shorter scroll time
than SM without Flash.

I then went to other machines and found that by just adding and removing
the Flash files in the plugins directory I could increase or decrease
the delay, under SM not 1.7.12.

Maybe with a fast enough machine SM is usable with Flash.  The "new"
machine I used is a laptop, cost about $1700 a year ago.  I don't think
that quite makes it an old relic.  It has about a 2 sec delay with SM.

Has anyone else tried to observe this?

Ray

Re: SM and Flash

Lon Hooker
Ray Davison wrote:

> When I started this iteration of trying to isolate the source of the
> email scroll delay I started with everything new.  New Hardware, new OS,
> new profile, new mail files.  There were to be no questions about
> leftover profiles, uncompressed, huge, attachment loaded mail files......
>
> I built SM 1.0 until it broke.  It broke when I added Flash (7.0.14 &
> 7.0.61).  At that point what had been an acceptable scroll time added a
> very noticeable delay.
>
> After I induced the delay by adding Flash I ran 1.7.12 using the same
> profile.  I observed that 1.7.12 with Flash has a shorter scroll time
> than SM without Flash.
>
> I then went to other machines and found that by just adding and removing
> the Flash files in the plugins directory I could increase or decrease
> the delay, under SM not 1.7.12.
>
> Maybe with a fast enough machine SM is usable with Flash.  The "new"
> machine I used is a laptop, cost about $1700 a year ago.  I don't think
> that quite makes it an old relic.  It has about a 2 sec delay with SM.
>
> Has anyone else tried to observe this?

Ray

In SM "Preferences-->Advanced-->Scripts & plug-ins", there are check
boxes to enable javascript and plug-ins for mail & newsgroups...
unchecking them should isolate mail from flash problems.

HTH

--

Lon

Moderation in all things... especially moderation

Re: SM and Flash

Ray Davison
Lon Hooker wrote:

> In SM "Preferences-->Advanced-->Scripts & plug-ins", there are check
> boxes to enable javascript and plug-ins for mail & newsgroups...
> unchecking them should isolate mail from flash problems.

That was one of my first stops.  I never enable Java for mail.  But what
does that have to do with Flash?  SM with JAVA works fine.

Let me try a different question.  Does anyone have SM with Flash 7 that
is verified at;
http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/

Ray

Re: SM and Flash

Andy Willis-2
Ray Davison wrote:

> Lon Hooker wrote:
>
>> In SM "Preferences-->Advanced-->Scripts & plug-ins", there are check
>> boxes to enable javascript and plug-ins for mail & newsgroups...
>> unchecking them should isolate mail from flash problems.
>
> That was one of my first stops.  I never enable Java for mail.  But what
> does that have to do with Flash?  SM with JAVA works fine.
>
> Let me try a different question.  Does anyone have SM with Flash 7 that
> is verified at;
> http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/
>
> Ray

7.0.63.0 here.
Andy

Re: SM and Flash

Dave Yeo-3
Ray Davison wrote:

> Lon Hooker wrote:
>
>> In SM "Preferences-->Advanced-->Scripts & plug-ins", there are check
>> boxes to enable javascript and plug-ins for mail & newsgroups...
>> unchecking them should isolate mail from flash problems.
>
> That was one of my first stops. I never enable Java for mail. But what
> does that have to do with Flash? SM with JAVA works fine.
>
> Let me try a different question. Does anyone have SM with Flash 7 that
> is verified at;
> http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/
>
> Ray

Works fine here, scrolling is also fine with a 800 Mhz Duron. Did you
update your iplugnw.dll when you upgraded to SM? Should be ipluginw.dll
? 60936?09-15-05? 6:31p. Might be worth reinstalling it on the of chance
you have a corrupt version
Dave

Re: SM and Flash

Peter Weilbacher
Ray Davison wrote:
> Lon Hooker wrote:
>
>> In SM "Preferences-->Advanced-->Scripts & plug-ins", there are check
>> boxes to enable javascript and plug-ins for mail & newsgroups...
>> unchecking them should isolate mail from flash problems.
>
> That was one of my first stops.  I never enable Java for mail.  But what
> does that have to do with Flash?  SM with JAVA works fine.

Java is not equal to JavaScript, despite the first half of the name...
But both Java and Flash are plugins.
   P.

Re: SM and Flash

Ray Davison
Dave Yeo wrote:

> Works fine here, scrolling is also fine with a 800 Mhz Duron.

Do you have both the top and bottom panes open?

> Did you update your iplugnw.dll when you upgraded to SM? Should be ipluginw.dll
> ? 60936?09-15-05? 6:31p. Might be worth reinstalling it on the of chance
> you have a corrupt version

The only thing I find at the INNOTEK site is the XPI, no DLL.  It still
says updated 9-15, is still 90936, but the XPI and the resulting DLL now
are dated 4 Nov 05.
http://download.innotek.de/javaos2/mozilla/ipluginw20050915.xpi

No change.

Ray

Re: SM and Flash

Ray Davison
Peter Weilbacher wrote:

> Java is not equal to JavaScript, despite the first half of the name...
> But both Java and Flash are plugins.

So, what are the pieces that make JavaScript possible and who makes them?

Ray

Re: SM and Flash

Ray Davison
Andy Willis wrote:

>> Let me try a different question.  Does anyone have SM with Flash 7
>> that is verified at;
>> http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/
>>
>> Ray
>>
> 7.0.63.0 here.
> Andy

For the purposes of this discussion I will say that Flash works if the
Flash box, at the referenced Macromedia site, has content, the three
tabs open, and the about tab identifies your browser as having Flash 7.
  If this is the case I will assume that our systems are similar enough
that you can provide me comparative information on another parameter.

If so, please provide the following:

Open the top and bottom panes of a mail window.
Scroll between two adjacent, simple, text only, messages in the top pane
while watching the new message appear in the bottom pane.
How long does it take to change from one message to the next?

What CPU are you running?

TY

Ray

Re: SM and Flash

Steve Wendt
Ray Davison wrote:

> So, what are the pieces that make JavaScript possible and who makes them?

JavaScript (properly known as ECMAScript) is part of the browser; it
requires nothing extra.

Re: SM and Flash

Andy Willis-2
Ray Davison wrote:

> Andy Willis wrote:
>
>>> Let me try a different question.  Does anyone have SM with Flash 7
>>> that is verified at;
>>> http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/
>>>
>>> Ray
>>>
>> 7.0.63.0 here.
>> Andy
>
> For the purposes of this discussion I will say that Flash works if the
> Flash box, at the referenced Macromedia site, has content, the three
> tabs open, and the about tab identifies your browser as having Flash 7.
>  If this is the case I will assume that our systems are similar enough
> that you can provide me comparative information on another parameter.
>
> If so, please provide the following:
>
> Open the top and bottom panes of a mail window.
> Scroll between two adjacent, simple, text only, messages in the top pane
> while watching the new message appear in the bottom pane.
> How long does it take to change from one message to the next?
>
> What CPU are you running?
>
> TY
>
> Ray

OK, to make sure I did the proper test... I have my mail open and the
top pane shows the messages and the bottom pane the message itself.  The
top pane has the focus so that when I hit the down arrow the next
message down is selected and fills the bottom screen or the up arrow
selects the next message going up where it then fills the bottom screen.
  I can switch messages about a message per second.  I hit the arrow key
and including the time it took for me to click the key to the time it
populated was a second.  This is on a ThinkPad T42 with 1.7G Pentium M
processor and 1.5G of Memory with the 9700 Mobility Radeon running SNAP
3.1.5.  I am using a static SeaMonkey build I built yesterday.

about:buildconfig

Build platform
target
i386-pc-os2-emx

Build tools
Compiler Version Compiler flags
gcc gcc version 3.3.5 (Bird Build 2006-03-18 05:37) -Wall -W
-Wno-unused -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Wno-long-long -pedantic -Zomf
-pipe
g++ gcc version 3.3.5 (Bird Build 2006-03-18 05:37) -fno-rtti
-fno-exceptions -Wall -Wconversion -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align
-Woverloaded-virtual -Wsynth -Wno-ctor-dtor-privacy
-Wno-non-virtual-dtor -Wno-long-long -pedantic -Zomf -pipe
-I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/X11R6/include

Configure arguments
--disable-tests --enable-optimize --disable-debug --enable-crypto
--enable-calendar --with-extensions=default --enable-application=suite
--enable-storage --enable-canvas --enable-svg --disable-shared
--enable-static --enable-ldap-experimental

Andy

Re: SM and Flash

Dave Yeo-3
Ray Davison wrote:

> Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>> Works fine here, scrolling is also fine with a 800 Mhz Duron.
>
> Do you have both the top and bottom panes open?
>
>> Did you update your iplugnw.dll when you upgraded to SM? Should be
>> ipluginw.dll ? 60936?09-15-05? 6:31p. Might be worth reinstalling it
>> on the of chance you have a corrupt version
>
> The only thing I find at the INNOTEK site is the XPI, no DLL.  It
> still says updated 9-15, is still 90936, but the XPI and the resulting
> DLL now are dated 4 Nov 05.
> http://download.innotek.de/javaos2/mozilla/ipluginw20050915.xpi
>
> No change.
>
> Ray
Ok, with only the top and bottom panes open (same with all 3 panes)
using a POP3 account scrolling the top pane and allowing the message to
appear on the bottom pane takes about 1 sec. Activity monitor goes
sharply up and down with the peak varying between 2/3 and 100%. The top
of the peak is always a sharp point.
Seamonkey was built Mar 16, buildconfig reports

  about:buildconfig

    Build platform

target
i386-pc-os2-emx

    Build tools

Compiler Version Compiler flags
gcc gcc version 3.2.2 (Innotek Build 2004-02-23 14:15) -Wall -W
-Wno-unused -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align -Wno-long-long -pedantic -Zomf
-pipe
g++ gcc version 3.2.2 (Innotek Build 2004-02-23 14:15) -fno-rtti
-fno-exceptions -Wall -Wconversion -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align
-Woverloaded-virtual -Wsynth -Wno-ctor-dtor-privacy
-Wno-non-virtual-dtor -Wno-long-long -pedantic -Zomf -pipe
-I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/X11R6/include

    Configure arguments

--disable-tests --enable-optimize=-Os --disable-debug --enable-crypto
--with-extensions=all --enable-application=suite

Flash is reported as 7,0,61,0 at the macromedia site. I also updated my
ipluginw.dll which made no difference. CPU is 800Mhz Duron, 256 MBs memory.
Dave

Re: SM and Flash

Mark Klebanoff
On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 17:53:40 UTC, Ray Davison <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The only thing I find at the INNOTEK site is the XPI, no DLL.  It still
> says updated 9-15, is still 90936, but the XPI and the resulting DLL now
> are dated 4 Nov 05.
> http://download.innotek.de/javaos2/mozilla/ipluginw20050915.xpi
>
> No change.
>
> Ray

I'm amazed-- how did you even find that.  There's no "download" tab on
the innotek website and if I just type in http://download.innotek.de
I don't get anything.  YOu seem to have to need to know that file is
there and type in the exact name.

This may relate to the latest (2.1.9.2) eCS maint tool, which says
"innnotek plugin wrapper 1.1 is available for manual download."  It
keeps saying that, even after I've substituted the 11/05 version for
every instance of that file I can find on my hard drive

Re: SM and Flash

Dave Yeo-3
Mark Klebanoff wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 17:53:40 UTC, Ray Davison <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> The only thing I find at the INNOTEK site is the XPI, no DLL.  It still
>> says updated 9-15, is still 90936, but the XPI and the resulting DLL now
>> are dated 4 Nov 05.
>> http://download.innotek.de/javaos2/mozilla/ipluginw20050915.xpi
>>
>> No change.
>>
>> Ray
>>

> I'm amazed-- how did you even find that.  There's no "download" tab on
> the innotek website and if I just type in http://download.innotek.de
> I don't get anything.  YOu seem to have to need to know that file is
> there and type in the exact name.

There is a link for it at http://www.mozilla.org/ports/os2/
Dave