SM 1.0 Beta

Ed Mullen
Downloaded last night and so far so good.

One exception is that Tagzilla isn't working right.  Messages get sent
before you have a chance to select a tagline.  This was a problem with
some Mozilla version prior to 1.7.12, can't remember which one.

Another thing is that middle-clicking a link in Mail/News does open a
new tab but doesn't switch focus to the browser.  Could be a TBE
interaction.

And they still haven't fixed the problem of SM/Moz taking back the HTML
file association for Edit.  Anytime you access Advanced prefs SM will
retake the association, stealing it from my preferred editor and giving
it back to Composer. Highly annoying.

Other than that, it's "real fast" and a pleasure to use.

Excellent work!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Re: SM 1.0 Beta

Jeff Beal
Ed Mullen wrote:
> Another thing is that middle-clicking a link in Mail/News does open a
> new tab but doesn't switch focus to the browser.  Could be a TBE
> interaction.

This is controlled by:
   Edit> Preferences> Tabbed Browsing> Switch to new tabs opened from links

--
Jeff Beal

Re: SM 1.0 Beta

Mozzy Fan
Hi Ed, as a moz suite fan, what do you think the future holds for
"SeaMonkey"...?
Do you think it will be forgotten about due to the HYPE for Firefox...?

Re: SM 1.0 Beta

Leonidas Jones
Mozzy Fan wrote:
> Hi Ed, as a moz suite fan, what do you think the future holds for
> "SeaMonkey"...?
> Do you think it will be forgotten about due to the HYPE for Firefox...?

I'm nor Ed, but no.

I get around many support venues, and I find a real desire for an
updated and improved suite.

Its not likely to overtake FF/TB in popularity, but I think there is
enough of a core suite user base to keep it going, andd, indeed, thriving.

Lee

Re: SM 1.0 Beta

Johannes Kastl
On 12/20/2005 9:24 PM Leonidas Jones wrote:

> I get around many support venues, and I find a real desire for an
> updated and improved suite.
>
> Its not likely to overtake FF/TB in popularity, but I think there is
> enough of a core suite user base to keep it going, andd, indeed, thriving.

ACK. Same is here.

OJ
--
Computers are like air conditioners. They stop working properly if you
open windows.

Re: SM 1.0 Beta

Ed Mullen
Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Mozzy Fan wrote:
>> Hi Ed, as a moz suite fan, what do you think the future holds for
>> "SeaMonkey"...?
>> Do you think it will be forgotten about due to the HYPE for Firefox...?
>>

> I'm nor Ed, but no.
>
> I get around many support venues, and I find a real desire for an
> updated and improved suite.
>
> Its not likely to overtake FF/TB in popularity, but I think there is
> enough of a core suite user base to keep it going, andd, indeed, thriving.
>
> Lee

I agree.  And when SM gets to its first release we can all start talking
it up to people. ;-)  I have several friends for whom I am their "help
desk."  I've moved several of them over to Mozilla and will when I think
SM is stable enough for their use.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Re: SM 1.0 Beta

Stan-7
Ed Mullen wrote:

> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> Mozzy Fan wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ed, as a moz suite fan, what do you think the future holds for
>>> "SeaMonkey"...?
>>> Do you think it will be forgotten about due to the HYPE for Firefox...?
>>>

>> I'm nor Ed, but no.
>>
>> I get around many support venues, and I find a real desire for an
>> updated and improved suite.
>>
>> Its not likely to overtake FF/TB in popularity, but I think there is
>> enough of a core suite user base to keep it going, andd, indeed,
>> thriving.
>>
>> Lee
>

> I agree.  And when SM gets to its first release we can all start talking
> it up to people. ;-)  I have several friends for whom I am their "help
> desk."  I've moved several of them over to Mozilla and will when I think
> SM is stable enough for their use.

I'd like to know when you feel SM is at this stable point.  If I moved
over to SM and then needed to go back to Mozilla, is that straightforward?

Stan

Re: SM 1.0 Beta

Ed Mullen
Stan wrote:

> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> I'm nor Ed, but no.
>>>
>>> I get around many support venues, and I find a real desire for an
>>> updated and improved suite.
>>>
>>> Its not likely to overtake FF/TB in popularity, but I think there is
>>> enough of a core suite user base to keep it going, andd, indeed,
>>> thriving.
>>>
>>> Lee
>>

>> I agree.  And when SM gets to its first release we can all start
>> talking it up to people. ;-)  I have several friends for whom I am
>> their "help desk."  I've moved several of them over to Mozilla and
>> will when I think SM is stable enough for their use.
>>

> I'd like to know when you feel SM is at this stable point.

Me? At the very earliest at an RC (Release Candidate) level. For me to
recommend it to anyone else?  Not until final release.  And, perhaps,
not until a month after that when developers have had a chance to tweak
extensions and users have had time to flog the bugs out of it.  I'm not
being negative, that's just my experience regarding when I'd tell a
friend to "go get this now!"

If I moved
> over to SM and then needed to go back to Mozilla, is that straightforward?
>
> Stan

Presumably so.  However, you've got two applications with different sets
of possible configurations (very similar but not totally in sync)
accessing and setting things in the profile.  Soooo ... a conditional "yes."

If you're not sure of the transition being permanent you should create a
new profile for SM and migrate settings from the Moz profile, treating
the SM profile as purely for testing.  Set the mail accounts to leave
messages on the server so they're available to your default Mozilla
profile and do whatever else needed to ensure that Moz remains totally
up-to-date and the default. Use SM only for testing.

And <familiar mantra from Ed>Back up your profiles daily!!!</mantra>

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Re: SM 1.0 Beta

Johannes Kastl
On 12/21/2005 12:48 AM Ed Mullen wrote:

> Presumably so.  However, you've got two applications with different sets
> of possible configurations (very similar but not totally in sync)
> accessing and setting things in the profile.  Soooo ... a conditional "yes."

At the Moment I am switching over to using SM regularly, and from time
to time I need to check something in Mozilla. Works without problems.
Except the folders in the Mailnews-Part "forget" if they were open or
not, but that is just a minor thing. Apart from that, works.

> If you're not sure of the transition being permanent you should create a
> new profile for SM and migrate settings from the Moz profile, treating
> the SM profile as purely for testing.  Set the mail accounts to leave
> messages on the server so they're available to your default Mozilla

or use the Mail folders in the other profile.

> profile and do whatever else needed to ensure that Moz remains totally
> up-to-date and the default. Use SM only for testing.
>
> And <familiar mantra from Ed>Back up your profiles daily!!!</mantra>

ACK.

OJ
--
"Is our children learning?"
(George W. Bush)

Re: SM 1.0 Beta

Leonidas Jones
Johannes Kastl wrote:

> On 12/21/2005 12:48 AM Ed Mullen wrote:
>
>> Presumably so.  However, you've got two applications with different sets
>> of possible configurations (very similar but not totally in sync)
>> accessing and setting things in the profile.  Soooo ... a conditional "yes."
>
> At the Moment I am switching over to using SM regularly, and from time
> to time I need to check something in Mozilla. Works without problems.
> Except the folders in the Mailnews-Part "forget" if they were open or
> not, but that is just a minor thing. Apart from that, works.
>
>> If you're not sure of the transition being permanent you should create a
>> new profile for SM and migrate settings from the Moz profile, treating
>> the SM profile as purely for testing.  Set the mail accounts to leave
>> messages on the server so they're available to your default Mozilla
>
> or use the Mail folders in the other profile.
>
>> profile and do whatever else needed to ensure that Moz remains totally
>> up-to-date and the default. Use SM only for testing.
>>
>> And <familiar mantra from Ed>Back up your profiles daily!!!</mantra>
>
> ACK.
>
> OJ

I suggest that you use separate profiles for Mozilla and SeaMonkey.

Lee

Re: SM 1.0 Beta

Johannes Kastl
On 12/22/2005 04:02 AM Leonidas Jones wrote:

> I suggest that you use separate profiles for Mozilla and SeaMonkey.

Why? I had no problems, so I dont know why. Of course you should have
a Backup of your profile data.

And BTW, a FULLQUOTE for one line of answer?

OJ
--
[Unbreakable Vows]
`Fred and George tried to get me to make one when I was about five.?

Re: SM 1.0 Beta

Ron Lopshire
Johannes Kastl wrote:

> On 12/22/2005 04:02 AM Leonidas Jones wrote:
>

>>I suggest that you use separate profiles for Mozilla and SeaMonkey.
>

> Why? I had no problems, so I dont know why. Of course you should have
> a Backup of your profile data.
>
> And BTW, a FULLQUOTE for one line of answer?
>
> OJ

Johannes,

This is _not_ a Usenet NG, it is a Netscape/Mozilla NG propagated to
Usenet. The posting guidelines for the Netscape/Mozilla NGs are:

   1) Bottom post, no interspersing or top-posting
   2) No snipping

   (http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org/guidelines.html)
   (http://ilias.ca/blog/2005/08/guidelines-rules-or-request.html)

Since this NG is propagated to Usenet, rule #2 is somewhat overlooked,
though still preferred for any discussion on topic. But then again, we
have already violated this NG's charter ... supposed to be for Web
Developers, not end users. We are supposed to hang out in SecNews:

Subscribing to SecNews:
    (http://www.ilias.ca/secnews.html)
See Chris' home page for info:
    (http://www.ilias.ca/)
General Mozilla support:
    (http://www.mozilla.org/support/)

Ron :)

Re: SM 1.0 Beta

L. David Baron
On Thursday 2005-12-22 08:54 -0500, Ron Lopshire wrote:
> This is _not_ a Usenet NG, it is a Netscape/Mozilla NG propagated to
> Usenet. The posting guidelines for the Netscape/Mozilla NGs are:
>
>   1) Bottom post, no interspersing or top-posting
>   2) No snipping
>
>   (http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org/guidelines.html)
>   (http://ilias.ca/blog/2005/08/guidelines-rules-or-request.html)

I've never seen those before, and I don't think they apply to developer
newsgroups.

> have already violated this NG's charter ... supposed to be for Web
> Developers, not end users. We are supposed to hang out in SecNews:

Actually, no, this is a list for Mozilla developers.  See
http://www.mozilla.org/community.html

-David

--
L. David Baron                                <URL: http://dbaron.org/ >

Re: SM 1.0 Beta

Ron Lopshire
L. David Baron wrote:

> On Thursday 2005-12-22 08:54 -0500, Ron Lopshire wrote:
>
>>This is _not_ a Usenet NG, it is a Netscape/Mozilla NG propagated to
>>Usenet. The posting guidelines for the Netscape/Mozilla NGs are:
>>
>>  1) Bottom post, no interspersing or top-posting
>>  2) No snipping
>>
>>  (http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org/guidelines.html)
>>  (http://ilias.ca/blog/2005/08/guidelines-rules-or-request.html)
>

> I've never seen those before, and I don't think they apply to developer
> newsgroups.
>

>>have already violated this NG's charter ... supposed to be for Web
>>Developers, not end users. We are supposed to hang out in SecNews:
>

> Actually, no, this is a list for Mozilla developers.  See
> http://www.mozilla.org/community.html

David,

Yeah, that's right. Most of the developers have abandoned these NGs
due to the proliferation of end user posts. I believe that in the near
(whatever that means) future the Netscape/Mozilla/AOL/Atlanta Braves
news servers are all supposed to be reworked. New charters, some
secure, some not.

ISTM, that if you hang out in both these NGs and the SecNews NGs, you
have 3 options ... always snip, never snip or always pay attention to
which NG you are in. Assuming the latter is highly unlikely, one of
the other two will eventually get you chastised.

Ron :)

Re: SM 1.0 Beta

Johannes Kastl
On 12/22/2005 2:54 PM Ron Lopshire wrote:

> Johannes,
>
> This is _not_ a Usenet NG, it is a Netscape/Mozilla NG propagated to
> Usenet. The posting guidelines for the Netscape/Mozilla NGs are:
>
>    1) Bottom post, no interspersing or top-posting
>    2) No snipping
>
>    (http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org/guidelines.html)
>    (http://ilias.ca/blog/2005/08/guidelines-rules-or-request.html)
>
> Since this NG is propagated to Usenet, rule #2 is somewhat overlooked,
> though still preferred for any discussion on topic. But then again, we

I see. I do not ask what sense that should have. I accpet it and am
sorry for judging too hard.

;-)

OJ
--
"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,

Re: SM 1.0 Beta

Leonidas Jones
Ron Lopshire wrote:

> Johannes Kastl wrote:
>
>> On 12/22/2005 04:02 AM Leonidas Jones wrote:
>>

>>> I suggest that you use separate profiles for Mozilla and SeaMonkey.
>>

>> Why? I had no problems, so I dont know why. Of course you should have
>> a Backup of your profile data.
>>
>> And BTW, a FULLQUOTE for one line of answer?
>>
>> OJ
>
> Johannes,
>
> This is _not_ a Usenet NG, it is a Netscape/Mozilla NG propagated to
> Usenet. The posting guidelines for the Netscape/Mozilla NGs are:
>
>   1) Bottom post, no interspersing or top-posting
>   2) No snipping

Ron, he;s right, I do tend to forget which group I'm posting in from
time to time.  This one does ask for snipping, and I apologize.

Lee
'

Re: SM 1.0 Beta

PeEmm
Ron Lopshire wrote:

> Johannes Kastl wrote:
>>
>> And BTW, a FULLQUOTE for one line of answer?
>>
>> OJ
>

> Johannes,
>
> This is _not_ a Usenet NG, it is a Netscape/Mozilla NG propagated to
> Usenet. The posting guidelines for the Netscape/Mozilla NGs are:
>
>   1) Bottom post, no interspersing or top-posting
>   2) No snipping

No, the netiquette is here:
<http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html>

"Do not quote the entire content of the message to which you are
replying. Include only as much as is necessary for context. Remember
that if someone wants to read the original message, they can; it is
easily accessible. A good rule of thumb is, don't include more quoted
text than new text."

--
/P.M.