SBCGlobal Newsgroups Vanish

W. eWatson-2
As of the July 15th the the Subject NGs are no longer available. I thought I
had found some free alternative NG servers prior to that, but it looks like
not. Any suggestions?

One is called Motzarella.  As I recall, it has some relationship to
extended-September, but have no idea what's going on. I'm using a Mozilla
product for e-mail. Others I've seen under free lists don't seem to be free
at all.

Re: SBCGlobal Newsgroups Vanish

Annailís
W. Watson wrote:
> As of the July 15th the the Subject NGs are no longer available. I
> thought I had found some free alternative NG servers prior to that, but
> it looks like not. Any suggestions?
>
> One is called Motzarella. As I recall, it has some relationship to
> extended-September, but have no idea what's going on. I'm using a
> Mozilla product for e-mail. Others I've seen under free lists don't seem
> to be free at all.

I think it's called "eternal-september.org".

SBC global.tech.help newsgroups appear to be available through
albasani.net. You do have to register and it may be text only.
URL is http://albasani.net/ if you want to check out the terms
and faqs.

--
Annailís

Annailís wrote:

> W. Watson wrote:
>> As of the July 15th the the Subject NGs are no longer available. I
>> thought I had found some free alternative NG servers prior to that, but
>> it looks like not. Any suggestions?
>>
>> One is called Motzarella. As I recall, it has some relationship to
>> extended-September, but have no idea what's going on. I'm using a
>> Mozilla product for e-mail. Others I've seen under free lists don't seem
>> to be free at all.
>
> I think it's called "eternal-september.org".
>
> SBC global.tech.help newsgroups appear to be available through
> albasani.net. You do have to register and it may be text only. URL is
> http://albasani.net/ if you want to check out the terms and faqs.

I have tried to use news.eternal-september.org for the server, but SeaMonkey
locks up and I eventually need to kill it and its browser/mail windows.

Re: SBCGlobal Newsgroups Vanish

Robert Blair-2
On 7/18/2009 9:25 AM, W. Watson wrote:
> As of the July 15th the the Subject NGs are no longer available. I thought I
> had found some free alternative NG servers prior to that, but it looks like
> not. Any suggestions?
>
> One is called Motzarella.  As I recall, it has some relationship to
> extended-September, but have no idea what's going on. I'm using a Mozilla
> product for e-mail. Others I've seen under free lists don't seem to be free
> at all.

Go to <http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=faqs:news_providers>.

Yes, you will find that many NNTP providers are not free.  They have
costs that must be recovered from their subscribers.  These costs
include the computers that host the servers, the extra disc space to
hold messages whose senders insist on HTML formatting or the inclusion
of graphics, the electricity to run the whole thing, and the staff to
make sure the whole thing continues to run.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Mozilla-related applications.  You can access Mozdev much

David E. Ross wrote:

> On 7/18/2009 9:25 AM, W. Watson wrote:
>> As of the July 15th the the Subject NGs are no longer available. I thought I
>> had found some free alternative NG servers prior to that, but it looks like
>> not. Any suggestions?
>>
>> One is called Motzarella.  As I recall, it has some relationship to
>> extended-September, but have no idea what's going on. I'm using a Mozilla
>> product for e-mail. Others I've seen under free lists don't seem to be free
>> at all.
>
> Go to <http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=faqs:news_providers>.
>
> Yes, you will find that many NNTP providers are not free.  They have
> costs that must be recovered from their subscribers.  These costs
> include the computers that host the servers, the extra disc space to
> hold messages whose senders insist on HTML formatting or the inclusion
> of graphics, the electricity to run the whole thing, and the staff to
> make sure the whole thing continues to run.

That's certainly easy to understand, but how does external-september and a
few others seem to get by with out charges? I don't mind paying some bucks,
but that probably means I need to understand what features each providers
offer. So is their a matrix of such info?

Re: SBCGlobal Newsgroups Vanish

Ron Hunter
W. Watson wrote:

> David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 7/18/2009 9:25 AM, W. Watson wrote:
>>> As of the July 15th the the Subject NGs are no longer available. I thought I
>>> had found some free alternative NG servers prior to that, but it looks like
>>> not. Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> One is called Motzarella.  As I recall, it has some relationship to
>>> extended-September, but have no idea what's going on. I'm using a Mozilla
>>> product for e-mail. Others I've seen under free lists don't seem to be free
>>> at all.
>> Go to <http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=faqs:news_providers>.
>>
>> Yes, you will find that many NNTP providers are not free.  They have
>> costs that must be recovered from their subscribers.  These costs
>> include the computers that host the servers, the extra disc space to
>> hold messages whose senders insist on HTML formatting or the inclusion
>> of graphics, the electricity to run the whole thing, and the staff to
>> make sure the whole thing continues to run.
>>
> That's certainly easy to understand, but how does external-september and a
> few others seem to get by with out charges? I don't mind paying some bucks,
> but that probably means I need to understand what features each providers
> offer. So is their a matrix of such info?

Well, I use Giganews, having tried a couple of others.  Giganews has
several options for how much you can download, and how much you pay.
They have the best retention, even of graphics groups, in the business,
and excellent 'completeness', which is how many multipart articles
(graphics, programs, etc.) are complete, and their speeds are generally
good.  I pay $12.99 for up to 12GB a month.  Have never exceeded that,
or even come close.  The $7.99 account has a 2GB limit, which I found
myself going over some months, so that analyzing a year's usage, I found
the $12.99 a month account cheaper.
I have been very pleased with their service, and they have just about
any group you could want, unless you are into kiddy-porn.  Those went
away a couple of years ago.

Ron Hunter wrote:

> W. Watson wrote:
>> David E. Ross wrote:

>>> Go to <http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=faqs:news_providers>.
>>>
>>> Yes, you will find that many NNTP providers are not free.  They have
>>> costs that must be recovered from their subscribers.  These costs
>>> include the computers that host the servers, the extra disc space to
>>> hold messages whose senders insist on HTML formatting or the inclusion
>>> of graphics, the electricity to run the whole thing, and the staff to
>>> make sure the whole thing continues to run.
>>>
>> That's certainly easy to understand, but how does external-september
>> and a few others seem to get by with out charges? I don't mind paying
>> some bucks, but that probably means I need to understand what features
>> each providers offer. So is their a matrix of such info?
>
> Well, I use Giganews, having tried a couple of others.  Giganews has
> several options for how much you can download, and how much you pay.
> They have the best retention, even of graphics groups, in the business,
> and excellent 'completeness', which is how many multipart articles
> (graphics, programs, etc.) are complete, and their speeds are generally
> good.  I pay $12.99 for up to 12GB a month.  Have never exceeded that,
> or even come close.  The $7.99 account has a 2GB limit, which I found
> myself going over some months, so that analyzing a year's usage, I found
> the $12.99 a month account cheaper.
> I have been very pleased with their service, and they have just about
> any group you could want, unless you are into kiddy-porn.  Those went
> away a couple of years ago.
I'm paying something like $20-25 a month to my ISP. $13.00 is way too much
for newsgroups. I may subscribe to 20-30, but I could easily get along with
10. I have no idea what I need in terms of space, but I find it hard to
believe that would even be in the Gigabyte range. I don't need graphics. I
just need text.

This talk is fine, but what I'd really like is to get back on board with
newsgroups, and what's missing here is an answer to my question in the other
part of this thread. The question is:

I have tried to use news.eternal-september.org for the server, but SeaMonkey
locks up and I eventually need to kill it and its browser/mail windows. How
do get around this?

Apparently, I'll need to go to another Moz/Netscape NG, which is fine. BTW,
who pays for those NGs, and a few others I use like Microsoft's? I guess
they do.

W. Watson wrote:

> Annailís wrote:
>> W. Watson wrote:
>>> As of the July 15th the the Subject NGs are no longer available. I
>>> thought I had found some free alternative NG servers prior to that, but
>>> it looks like not. Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> One is called Motzarella. As I recall, it has some relationship to
>>> extended-September, but have no idea what's going on. I'm using a
>>> Mozilla product for e-mail. Others I've seen under free lists don't seem
>>> to be free at all.
>>
>> I think it's called "eternal-september.org".
>>
>> SBC global.tech.help newsgroups appear to be available through
>> albasani.net. You do have to register and it may be text only. URL is
>> http://albasani.net/ if you want to check out the terms and faqs.
>>
> I have tried to use news.eternal-september.org for the server, but
> SeaMonkey locks up and I eventually need to kill it and its browser/mail
> windows.

Do you have another newsreader or e-mail client installed to try
the settings for news.eternal-september.org in?  Have you tried
deleting the newsserver and starting from scratch to see if you
have the same results?
--
Annailís

Re: SBCGlobal Newsgroups Vanish

Smiles-2
W. eWatson wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:
>> W. Watson wrote:

>>> That's certainly easy to understand, but how does external-september
>>> and a few others seem to get by with out charges? I don't mind paying
>>> some bucks, but that probably means I need to understand what
>>> features each providers offer. So is their a matrix of such info?
>>
>> Well, I use Giganews, having tried a couple of others.  Giganews has
>> several options for how much you can download, and how much you pay.
>> They have the best retention, even of graphics groups, in the
>> business, and excellent 'completeness', which is how many multipart
>> articles (graphics, programs, etc.) are complete, and their speeds are
>> generally good.  I pay $12.99 for up to 12GB a month.  Have never
>> exceeded that, or even come close.  The $7.99 account has a 2GB limit,
>> which I found myself going over some months, so that analyzing a
>> year's usage, I found the $12.99 a month account cheaper.
>> I have been very pleased with their service, and they have just about
>> any group you could want, unless you are into kiddy-porn.  Those went
>> away a couple of years ago.
> I'm paying something like $20-25 a month to my ISP. $13.00 is way too
> much for newsgroups. I may subscribe to 20-30, but I could easily get
> along with 10. I have no idea what I need in terms of space, but I find
> it hard to believe that would even be in the Gigabyte range. I don't
> need graphics. I just need text.
>
> This talk is fine, but what I'd really like is to get back on board with
> newsgroups, and what's missing here is an answer to my question in the
> other part of this thread. The question is:
>
> I have tried to use news.eternal-september.org for the server, but
> SeaMonkey locks up and I eventually need to kill it and its browser/mail
> windows. How do get around this?
>
> Apparently, I'll need to go to another Moz/Netscape NG, which is fine.
> BTW, who pays for those NGs, and a few others I use like Microsoft's? I
> guess they do.
Just a note $20=25 a month would be nice I pay $49.99 plus taxes and get
60gig of up/download for it what do you get
thanks

Smiles wrote:

> W. eWatson wrote:
>> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> Well, I use Giganews, having tried a couple of others.  Giganews has
>>> several options for how much you can download, and how much you pay.
>>> They have the best retention, even of graphics groups, in the
>>> business, and excellent 'completeness', which is how many multipart
>>> articles (graphics, programs, etc.) are complete, and their speeds
>>> are generally good.  I pay $12.99 for up to 12GB a month.  Have never
>>> exceeded that, or even come close.  The $7.99 account has a 2GB
>>> limit, which I found myself going over some months, so that analyzing
>>> a year's usage, I found the $12.99 a month account cheaper.
>>> I have been very pleased with their service, and they have just about
>>> any group you could want, unless you are into kiddy-porn.  Those went
>>> away a couple of years ago.
>> I'm paying something like $20-25 a month to my ISP. $13.00 is way too
>> much for newsgroups. I may subscribe to 20-30, but I could easily get
>> along with 10. I have no idea what I need in terms of space, but I
>> find it hard to believe that would even be in the Gigabyte range. I
>> don't need graphics. I just need text.
>>
>> This talk is fine, but what I'd really like is to get back on board
>> with newsgroups, and what's missing here is an answer to my question
>> in the other part of this thread. The question is:
>>
>> I have tried to use news.eternal-september.org for the server, but
>> SeaMonkey locks up and I eventually need to kill it and its
>> browser/mail windows. How do get around this?
>>
>> Apparently, I'll need to go to another Moz/Netscape NG, which is fine.
>> BTW, who pays for those NGs, and a few others I use like Microsoft's?
>> I guess they do.
> Just a note $20=25 a month would be nice I pay $49.99 plus taxes and get
> 60gig of up/download for it what do you get
> thanks
I get a broadband connection. My ISP is SBCGlobal. I have no idea how much
up/down I get. I certainly don't do much. Possibly program updates every
week or two. I subscribe to about 10 Moz and Windows NGs, which I post to
about 6-12 times a week. When SBCGlobal had NGs for general NGs, (alt, rec,
others), I posted about 30 times a week. I have no idea how to estimate my
traffic. Occasionally, I download a 20-40M file. My cost is fixed.

On 7/19/2009 3:40 AM, W. eWatson wrote:

> Ron Hunter wrote:
>> W. Watson wrote:

>>> That's certainly easy to understand, but how does external-september
>>> and a few others seem to get by with out charges? I don't mind paying
>>> some bucks, but that probably means I need to understand what features
>>> each providers offer. So is their a matrix of such info?
>> Well, I use Giganews, having tried a couple of others.  Giganews has
>> several options for how much you can download, and how much you pay.
>> They have the best retention, even of graphics groups, in the business,
>> and excellent 'completeness', which is how many multipart articles
>> (graphics, programs, etc.) are complete, and their speeds are generally
>> good.  I pay $12.99 for up to 12GB a month.  Have never exceeded that,
>> or even come close.  The $7.99 account has a 2GB limit, which I found
>> myself going over some months, so that analyzing a year's usage, I found
>> the $12.99 a month account cheaper.
>> I have been very pleased with their service, and they have just about
>> any group you could want, unless you are into kiddy-porn.  Those went
>> away a couple of years ago.
> I'm paying something like $20-25 a month to my ISP. $13.00 is way too much
> for newsgroups. I may subscribe to 20-30, but I could easily get along with
> 10. I have no idea what I need in terms of space, but I find it hard to
> believe that would even be in the Gigabyte range. I don't need graphics. I
> just need text.
>
> This talk is fine, but what I'd really like is to get back on board with
> newsgroups, and what's missing here is an answer to my question in the other
> part of this thread. The question is:
>
> I have tried to use news.eternal-september.org for the server, but SeaMonkey
> locks up and I eventually need to kill it and its browser/mail windows. How
> do get around this?
>
> Apparently, I'll need to go to another Moz/Netscape NG, which is fine. BTW,
> who pays for those NGs, and a few others I use like Microsoft's? I guess
> they do.

I too am paying about $25 per month.  This includes two mail boxes, no
limit on downloading, and use of Giganews for newsgroups.  It also
includes hosting my Web site with over 300 pages (more than 10 MB) and a
shell account for secure Telnet access to my name space for maintenance.

If my ISP dropped a service for which I had been paying, I would request
a reduction in the fee.  If the service were NNTP (newsgroups), I would
also suggest that the ISP outsouce that (as does my ISP).

David E. Ross wrote:

> On 7/19/2009 3:40 AM, W. eWatson wrote:
>> Ron Hunter wrote:

>>> Well, I use Giganews, having tried a couple of others.  Giganews has
>>> several options for how much you can download, and how much you pay.
>>> They have the best retention, even of graphics groups, in the business,
>>> and excellent 'completeness', which is how many multipart articles
>>> (graphics, programs, etc.) are complete, and their speeds are generally
>>> good.  I pay $12.99 for up to 12GB a month.  Have never exceeded that,
>>> or even come close.  The $7.99 account has a 2GB limit, which I found
>>> myself going over some months, so that analyzing a year's usage, I found
>>> the $12.99 a month account cheaper.
>>> I have been very pleased with their service, and they have just about
>>> any group you could want, unless you are into kiddy-porn.  Those went
>>> away a couple of years ago.
>> I'm paying something like $20-25 a month to my ISP. $13.00 is way too much
>> for newsgroups. I may subscribe to 20-30, but I could easily get along with
>> 10. I have no idea what I need in terms of space, but I find it hard to
>> believe that would even be in the Gigabyte range. I don't need graphics. I
>> just need text.
>>
>> This talk is fine, but what I'd really like is to get back on board with
>> newsgroups, and what's missing here is an answer to my question in the other
>> part of this thread. The question is:
>>
>> I have tried to use news.eternal-september.org for the server, but SeaMonkey
>> locks up and I eventually need to kill it and its browser/mail windows. How
>> do get around this?
>>
>> Apparently, I'll need to go to another Moz/Netscape NG, which is fine. BTW,
>> who pays for those NGs, and a few others I use like Microsoft's? I guess
>> they do.
>
> I too am paying about $25 per month.  This includes two mail boxes, no
> limit on downloading, and use of Giganews for newsgroups.  It also
> includes hosting my Web site with over 300 pages (more than 10 MB) and a
> shell account for secure Telnet access to my name space for maintenance.
>
> If my ISP dropped a service for which I had been paying, I would request
> a reduction in the fee.  If the service were NNTP (newsgroups), I would
> also suggest that the ISP outsouce that (as does my ISP).

How do I drop SBCGlobal/Yahoo? Who picks up the DSL service then? Aren't I
locked in? I wonder if they dropped ftp?

Annailís wrote:

> W. Watson wrote:
>> Annailís wrote:

>>> I think it's called "eternal-september.org".
>>>
>>> SBC global.tech.help newsgroups appear to be available through
>>> albasani.net. You do have to register and it may be text only. URL is
>>> http://albasani.net/ if you want to check out the terms and faqs.
>>>
>> I have tried to use news.eternal-september.org for the server, but
>> SeaMonkey locks up and I eventually need to kill it and its browser/mail
>> windows.
>
> Do you have another newsreader or e-mail client installed to try the
> settings for news.eternal-september.org in?  Have you tried deleting the
> newsserver and starting from scratch to see if you have the same results?
Yes, this Mozilla server. The port, 119, here is the same as for eternal.
That's about all there is except for news.eternal-september.org, which I
assume is correct. SSL?

Re: SBCGlobal Newsgroups Vanish

PhillipJones
W. eWatson wrote:

> Annail�s wrote:
>> W. Watson wrote:

>>> I have tried to use news.eternal-september.org for the server, but
>>> SeaMonkey locks up and I eventually need to kill it and its browser/mail
>>> windows.
>>
>> Do you have another newsreader or e-mail client installed to try the
>> settings for news.eternal-september.org in?  Have you tried deleting
>> the newsserver and starting from scratch to see if you have the same
>> results?
> Yes, this Mozilla server. The port, 119, here is the same as for
> eternal. That's about all there is except for
> news.eternal-september.org, which I assume is correct. SSL?
check out this:
<http://www.google.com/search?q=news.eternal-september.org&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=mozilla&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial>

--
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.  "If it Ain't Broke, Don't Fix it"
http://www.phillipmjones.net           http://www.vpea.org

Re: SBCGlobal Newsgroups Vanish

W. eWatson-2
Interesting. I noticed a comment that said, "I created a new account".
Apparently, that was the trick. I was trying to use the setup for my old
SBCglobal NGs; however, the types of newsgroups in eternal are limited. For
example, there is no sci.astro.

>>> settings for news.eternal-september.org in?  Have you tried deleting
>>> the newsserver and starting from scratch to see if you have the same
>>> results?
>> Yes, this Mozilla server. The port, 119, here is the same as for
>> eternal. That's about all there is except for
>> news.eternal-september.org, which I assume is correct. SSL?
> check out this:
> <http://www.google.com/search?q=news.eternal-september.org&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=mozilla&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial>

Re: SBCGlobal Newsgroups Vanish

The Real Bev
W. Watson wrote:

> ...but how does external-september and a few others seem to get by with out
> charges?

I asked something like that in the e-t/support groups, but received no answer.
I conclude they're Mafia front organizations.  No, I don't know how they work.
If I did, somebody would probably have to kill me.

> I don't mind paying some bucks, but that probably means I need to understand
> what features each providers offer. So is their a matrix of such info?

--
Cheers, Bev

On 7/19/2009 10:01 AM, W. eWatson wrote:

> David E. Ross wrote:

>>> I'm paying something like $20-25 a month to my ISP. $13.00 is way too much
>>> for newsgroups. I may subscribe to 20-30, but I could easily get along with
>>> 10. I have no idea what I need in terms of space, but I find it hard to
>>> believe that would even be in the Gigabyte range. I don't need graphics. I
>>> just need text.
>>>
>>> This talk is fine, but what I'd really like is to get back on board with
>>> newsgroups, and what's missing here is an answer to my question in the other
>>> part of this thread. The question is:
>>>
>>> I have tried to use news.eternal-september.org for the server, but SeaMonkey
>>> locks up and I eventually need to kill it and its browser/mail windows. How
>>> do get around this?
>>>
>>> Apparently, I'll need to go to another Moz/Netscape NG, which is fine. BTW,
>>> who pays for those NGs, and a few others I use like Microsoft's? I guess
>>> they do.
>> I too am paying about $25 per month.  This includes two mail boxes, no
>> limit on downloading, and use of Giganews for newsgroups.  It also
>> includes hosting my Web site with over 300 pages (more than 10 MB) and a
>> shell account for secure Telnet access to my name space for maintenance.
>>
>> If my ISP dropped a service for which I had been paying, I would request
>> a reduction in the fee.  If the service were NNTP (newsgroups), I would
>> also suggest that the ISP outsouce that (as does my ISP).
>>
> How do I drop SBCGlobal/Yahoo? Who picks up the DSL service then? Aren't I
> locked in? I wonder if they dropped ftp?

Oh, I failed to mention that I have dial-up service.  My ISP does not
offer DSL for consumers, only for businesses.  That's because AT&T (the
local phone company) will not sell my ISP DSL capabilities at a
wholesale price.

I'm thinking of switching to broadband via a cable modem through Time
Warner Cable, as recommended by my favorite independent computer shop.
This would allow me to drop one of my two phone lines.  I would still
keep my current ISP because Time Warner (and its Roadrunner ISP) won't
provide shell access to its Web server.

Before I do anything, I will check with my ISP to determine if
connecting through Time Warner has any impact on my ISP's services,
including the NNTP service through Giganews.  I suspect there is no
impact because my ISP already outsources its dial-up points-of-presence.

Yes, there is significant outsourcing at the ISP I use.  However, their
offices are about 3 miles from my house.  More important, their
technical services staff are all very knowledgeable; they don't
automatically assume that my problems are my own fault.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Mozilla-related applications.  You can access Mozdev much

Re: SBCGlobal Newsgroups Vanish

Ken Whiton
*-* On Sun, 19 Jul 2009, at 08:58:30 -0700,
*-* In Article [hidden email],
*-* David E. Ross wrote
*-* About Re: SBCGlobal Newsgroups Vanish

> On 7/19/2009 3:40 AM, W. eWatson wrote:
>> Ron Hunter wrote:

          [ ... ]

>>> Well, I use Giganews, having tried a couple of others.  Giganews
>>> has several options for how much you can download, and how much
>>> you pay.  They have the best retention, even of graphics groups,
>>> in the business, and excellent 'completeness', which is how many
>>> multipart articles (graphics, programs, etc.) are complete, and
>>> their speeds are generally good.  I pay $12.99 for up to 12GB a
>>> month.  Have never exceeded that, or even come close.  The $7.99
>>> account has a 2GB limit, which I found myself going over some
>>> months, so that analyzing a year's usage, I found the $12.99 a
>>> month account cheaper.

     You might want to take another look at your options.  The $12.99
option now has a 35 GB/mo download limit, and the $7.99 option is 10
GB/mo.  Those are for new customers.  I don't know if they also
increased the limits correspondingly for existing customers.

          [ ... ]

>> I'm paying something like $20-25 a month to my ISP. $13.00 is way
>> too much for newsgroups. I may subscribe to 20-30, but I could
>> easily get along with 10. I have no idea what I need in terms of
>> space, but I find it hard to believe that would even be in the
>> Gigabyte range. I don't need graphics. I just need text.

     Giganews has recently added some new, lower priced options that
you might want to take a look at.

     $2.99/mo     3 GB/mo
     $4.99/mo     5 GB/mo
     $7.99/mo    10 GB/mo - This is an old price, but a new, larger
                            limit.

     They're currently claiming 2218 days retention (2151-2152 days is
six years.) in text groups and 346 days (building toward 365 days) in
binary groups, although the $2.99/mo and $4.99/mo options are limited
to 30 days binary retention.

          [ ... ]

> If my ISP dropped a service for which I had been paying, I would
> request a reduction in the fee.  If the service were NNTP
> (newsgroups), I would also suggest that the ISP outsouce that (as
> does my ISP).

     That's not really an option when the ISP (Comcast) was already
outsourcing newsgroups (to Giganews). :-(  As for a reduction in the
fee, people who asked got $5/mo off for a year.  At the time,
Giganews' price was $7.99/mo for the same 2 GB/mo that Comcast
customers had been getting included in their service, so even with a
price reduction from Comcast the user's net cost would go up. :-(

                                        Ken Whiton
--
    FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: [hidden email] (remove the obvious to reply)

Re: SBCGlobal Newsgroups Vanish

1PW-2
W. Watson wrote:

Snip, snip...

> That's certainly easy to understand, but how does external-september and
> a few others seem to get by with out charges? I don't mind paying some
> bucks, but that probably means I need to understand what features each
> providers offer. So is their a matrix of such info?

Mr. Wolfgang Weyand runs Eternal-September.org (old Motzarella.org).

              <http://www.eternal-september.org/>

Mr. Weyand openly solicits, and gratefully accepts contributions.  He
tries, and does a decent job of blocking spam from the newsgroups he
carries on his NNTP servers while allowing a posting history of about
30 days.

However, to the best of my knowledge, he does not carry any SBC
newsgroups.

Regards,

Pete
--