Running reftests less frequently

Gregory Szorc-3
Layout gurus,

Did you know that reftests can consume 6+ days of machine time in
automation for every checkin? (This isn't your fault: just a side-effect of
scheduling everything nearly all the time in automation.)

I just filed bug 1272042 to explore options for reducing reftest scheduling
in automation. I'm not sure if there are prior discussions on this topic. I
do know we have a significant capacity problem in automation right now and
reftests seem like a highly-specialized test suite that doesn't need to run
all the time.

I would very much appreciate the input from layout/reftest domain experts
to determine what can be done, if anything, to schedule reftests less
frequently and put less burden on our automation. Please reply in the bug.

Thank you,

gps