Running Firefox from command line on Mac OS X

Running Firefox from command line on Mac OS X

Jon Leighton-2
I'm running a modified version of Firefox 3.0.11 on several different
platforms, and I typically run it from the command line, but I'm having
trouble with this on Mac OS X (10.5.8).  To run it from the command line
on Mac OS X I start X11, cd to dist/bin under my build directory, and
run the firefox script.  When I do this I don't get the application
menu, and I can't edit the URL.  Is there a way to run firefox from the
command line on Mac OS X and get the expected behavior, or is there a
way to run it from the finder and still see the output to stdout and
stderr?  Thanks very much.

- Jon

Re: Running Firefox from command line on Mac OS X

Benjamin Smedberg
On 10/19/09 11:08 AM, Jon Leighton wrote:
> I'm running a modified version of Firefox 3.0.11 on several different
> platforms, and I typically run it from the command line, but I'm having
> trouble with this on Mac OS X (10.5.8).  To run it from the command line
> on Mac OS X I start X11, cd to dist/bin under my build directory, and
> run the firefox script.  When I do this I don't get the application

Firefox is not an X application on mac. There is no need to start X11. Mac
requires applications to be in a bundle (AppName.app) in order to retrieve
information from the .plist file and for the dock/menu to work correctly.
This means you need to launch the application from dist/Firefox.app (or
dist/Minefield.app, depending on the branding options and branch).

--BDS

Benjamin Smedberg wrote:

> On 10/19/09 11:08 AM, Jon Leighton wrote:
>> I'm running a modified version of Firefox 3.0.11 on several different
>> platforms, and I typically run it from the command line, but I'm having
>> trouble with this on Mac OS X (10.5.8).  To run it from the command line
>> on Mac OS X I start X11, cd to dist/bin under my build directory, and
>> run the firefox script.  When I do this I don't get the application
>
> Firefox is not an X application on mac. There is no need to start X11. Mac
> requires applications to be in a bundle (AppName.app) in order to retrieve
> information from the .plist file and for the dock/menu to work correctly.
> This means you need to launch the application from dist/Firefox.app (or
> dist/Minefield.app, depending on the branding options and branch).

I can run the GranParadisoDebug application from the finder, which works
as expected, but then I don't get any of the output to stdout/stderr,
like I do when running from the command line on
FreeBSD/Linux/Solaris/etc.  What can I do to see that output on Mac OS X?

On 10/19/09 12:02 PM, Jon Leighton wrote:

> Benjamin Smedberg wrote:
>> On 10/19/09 11:08 AM, Jon Leighton wrote:
>>> I'm running a modified version of Firefox 3.0.11 on several different
>>> platforms, and I typically run it from the command line, but I'm having
>>> trouble with this on Mac OS X (10.5.8).  To run it from the command line
>>> on Mac OS X I start X11, cd to dist/bin under my build directory, and
>>> run the firefox script.  When I do this I don't get the application
>>
>> Firefox is not an X application on mac. There is no need to start X11.
>> Mac
>> requires applications to be in a bundle (AppName.app) in order to
>> retrieve
>> information from the .plist file and for the dock/menu to work correctly.
>> This means you need to launch the application from dist/Firefox.app (or
>> dist/Minefield.app, depending on the branding options and branch).
>>
> I can run the GranParadisoDebug application from the finder, which works
> as expected, but then I don't get any of the output to stdout/stderr,
> like I do when running from the command line on
> FreeBSD/Linux/Solaris/etc.  What can I do to see that output on Mac OS X?

Run it from Terminal.app:

/Users/me/mozilla/dist/GranParadisoDebug.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin

--BDS

Benjamin Smedberg wrote:
> Run it from Terminal.app:
>
> /Users/me/mozilla/dist/GranParadisoDebug.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin
>
> --BDS

Thanks - that's exactly what I was looking for.

- Jon

Re: Running Firefox from command line on Mac OS X

amberiadudu
Pada Senin, 19 Oktober 2009 11.08.06 UTC-4, Jon Leighton  menulis:

> I'm running a modified version of Firefox 3.0.11 on several different
> platforms, and I typically run it from the command line, but I'm having
> trouble with this on Mac OS X (10.5.8).  To run it from the command line
> on Mac OS X I start X11, cd to dist/bin under my build directory, and
> run the firefox script.  When I do this I don't get the application
> menu, and I can't edit the URL.  Is there a way to run firefox from the
> command line on Mac OS X and get the expected behavior, or is there a
> way to run it from the finder and still see the output to stdout and
> stderr?  Thanks very much.
>
> - Jon

Re: Running Firefox from command line on Mac OS X

Nicholas Alexander

On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 12:12 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Pada Senin, 19 Oktober 2009 11.08.06 UTC-4, Jon Leighton  menulis:
> I'm running a modified version of Firefox 3.0.11 on several different
> platforms, and I typically run it from the command line, but I'm having
> trouble with this on Mac OS X (10.5.8).  To run it from the command line
> on Mac OS X I start X11, cd to dist/bin under my build directory, and
> run the firefox script.  When I do this I don't get the application
> menu, and I can't edit the URL.  Is there a way to run firefox from the
> command line on Mac OS X and get the expected behavior, or is there a
> way to run it from the finder and still see the output to stdout and
> stderr?  Thanks very much.

I think |./mach run| does what you want in terms of getting "expected behaviour", although I don't know the details about stdout and stderr.  (I think you will see both in the console but don't have a build to check.)

If I recall correctly, you can't run directly from dist/bin and get all the Mac OS X packaging stuff (including the menu and icons) easily.  You can, of course, run |./mach package| and get a well-formed .App bundle that you can then run with "open dist/Firefox*.app".  Mike Hommey once explained some of this to me; he can correct me here if I'm mis-remembering something.

Nick

Re: Running Firefox from command line on Mac OS X

Mike Hommey
On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 04:04:59AM -0800, Nicholas Alexander wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 12:12 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Pada Senin, 19 Oktober 2009 11.08.06 UTC-4, Jon Leighton  menulis:
> > > I'm running a modified version of Firefox 3.0.11 on several different
> > > platforms, and I typically run it from the command line, but I'm having
> > > trouble with this on Mac OS X (10.5.8).  To run it from the command line
> > > on Mac OS X I start X11, cd to dist/bin under my build directory, and
> > > run the firefox script.  When I do this I don't get the application
> > > menu, and I can't edit the URL.  Is there a way to run firefox from the
> > > command line on Mac OS X and get the expected behavior, or is there a
> > > way to run it from the finder and still see the output to stdout and
> > > stderr?  Thanks very much.
> >

> I think |./mach run| does what you want in terms of getting "expected
> behaviour", although I don't know the details about stdout and stderr.  (I
> think you will see both in the console but don't have a build to check.)
>
> If I recall correctly, you can't run directly from dist/bin and get all the
> Mac OS X packaging stuff (including the menu and icons) easily.  You can,
> of course, run |./mach package| and get a well-formed .App bundle that you
> can then run with "open dist/Firefox*.app".  Mike Hommey once explained
> some of this to me; he can correct me here if I'm mis-remembering something.

That's mostly correct, except you actually don't need to create a
package to have the .app directory, it's there directly after the build.
(IIRC)

With that being said, mach didn't exist at the time of Firefox 3.0.11,
and I'm not sure how things were for mac builds back then, but I can
only guess they were pretty similar (as in, I don't think things have
significantly changed on that front in the past 6.5 years (that's how
old Firefox 3.0.11 is), or 7.5 years (that's how old the first Firefox
3.0 is)).

Mike