Routine Computer Maintenance

1234 ... 17

Routine Computer Maintenance

WaltS48
Anybody do it?

I took the covers off today, hauled the case outside, and blew out the
dust. Now it looks so much nicer inside.

I also reseated all cables, RAM and the graphics board.

I don't have Windows so don't have to do a defrag. Do Windows users
still need to do that?

--
Thunderbird 30.0b1
Dollar Bank Three Rivers Arts Festival | June 6-15, 2014

Re: Routine Computer Maintenance

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
WaltS48 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anybody do it?
>
> I took the covers off today, hauled the case outside, and blew out
> the dust. Now it looks so much nicer inside.

I do that whenever I notice any increase in operating temperature or
notice the fans spinning more or faster than usual.

> I also reseated all cables, RAM and the graphics board.

I never do that unless I suspect a bad connection.  Once everything is
seated, I bind the cables out of the way;  reseating them would require
undoing the binds, and even though they're just velcro strips, it
doesn't seem worth it.

On 05/19/2014 04:21 PM, »Q« wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> WaltS48 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Anybody do it?
>>
>> I took the covers off today, hauled the case outside, and blew out
>> the dust. Now it looks so much nicer inside.
>
> I do that whenever I notice any increase in operating temperature or
> notice the fans spinning more or faster than usual.

Well, a couple days ago it was mid summer hot here, and the fans were a
bit noisy.

--
Thunderbird 30.0b1
Dollar Bank Three Rivers Arts Festival | June 6-15, 2014
<http://www.3riversartsfest.org/>
Go Bucs!

Re: Routine Computer Maintenance

Ron Hunter
On 5/19/2014 3:07 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

> Anybody do it?
>
> I took the covers off today, hauled the case outside, and blew out the
> dust. Now it looks so much nicer inside.
>
> I also reseated all cables, RAM and the graphics board.
>
> I don't have Windows so don't have to do a defrag. Do Windows users
> still need to do that?

Yes, and EVERYONE needs to defrag.  Modern drives, and large caches just
cover up the fact that files get fragmented.

On 05/19/2014 07:07 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:

> On 5/19/2014 3:07 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
>> Anybody do it?
>>
>> I took the covers off today, hauled the case outside, and blew out the
>> dust. Now it looks so much nicer inside.
>>
>> I also reseated all cables, RAM and the graphics board.
>>
>> I don't have Windows so don't have to do a defrag. Do Windows users
>> still need to do that?
>>

> Yes, and EVERYONE needs to defrag.  Modern drives, and large caches just
> cover up the fact that files get fragmented.

EVERYONE?

[HTG Explains: Why Linux Doesn’t Need
Defragmenting](http://www.howtogeek.com/115229/htg-explains-why-linux-doesnt-need-defragmenting/)

[What Kind of Maintenance Do I Need to Do On My Linux
PC?](http://lifehacker.com/5817282/what-kind-of-maintenance-do-i-need-to-do-on-my-linux-pc)

--
Thunderbird 30.0b1
Dollar Bank Three Rivers Arts Festival | June 6-15, 2014
<http://www.3riversartsfest.org/>
Go Bucs!

Re: Routine Computer Maintenance

LnrB-3
WaltS48 wrote:

> Anybody do it?
>
> I took the covers off today, hauled the case outside, and blew out the
> dust. Now it looks so much nicer inside.
>
> I also reseated all cables, RAM and the graphics board.
>
> I don't have Windows so don't have to do a defrag. Do Windows users
> still need to do that?

Hi, Walt,
I do all this except for defrag.
I don't know if the machine runs any cooler after a blow-out but it's
certainly a lot quieter.

I have a Seagate Momentus Hybrid drive, which says right there in the
instructions not to use a defrag application as defragging is not necessary.

It seems like a good idea to take them at their word.
(';')

Re: Routine Computer Maintenance

Ed Mullen-9
WaltS48 wrote:

> Anybody do it?
>
> I took the covers off today, hauled the case outside, and blew out the
> dust. Now it looks so much nicer inside.
>
> I also reseated all cables, RAM and the graphics board.
>
> I don't have Windows so don't have to do a defrag. Do Windows users
> still need to do that?

Since at least Windows 7 defrag is automatically done.

<http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/improve-performance-defragmenting-hard-disk#1TC=windows-7>

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

On 05/20/2014 12:11 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:

> WaltS48 wrote:
>> Anybody do it?
>>
>> I took the covers off today, hauled the case outside, and blew out the
>> dust. Now it looks so much nicer inside.
>>
>> I also reseated all cables, RAM and the graphics board.
>>
>> I don't have Windows so don't have to do a defrag. Do Windows users
>> still need to do that?
>>

> Since at least Windows 7 defrag is automatically done.
>
> <http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/improve-performance-defragmenting-hard-disk#1TC=windows-7>

Thanks.

And nobody complained they were copying Linux. ;)

LnrB wrote:

> WaltS48 wrote:
>> Anybody do it?
>>
>> I took the covers off today, hauled the case outside, and blew out the
>> dust. Now it looks so much nicer inside.
>>
>> I also reseated all cables, RAM and the graphics board.
>>
>> I don't have Windows so don't have to do a defrag. Do Windows users
>> still need to do that?
>>

> Hi, Walt,
> I do all this except for defrag.
> I don't know if the machine runs any cooler after a blow-out but it's
> certainly a lot quieter.
>
> I have a Seagate Momentus Hybrid drive, which says right there in the
> instructions not to use a defrag application as defragging is not
> necessary.
>
> It seems like a good idea to take them at their word.
> (';')

Actually, your UA indicates Windows 7 so you are defragmenting:  W7 does
it automatically.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Ed Mullen wrote:

> LnrB wrote:
>> WaltS48 wrote:
>>> Anybody do it?
>>>
>>> I took the covers off today, hauled the case outside, and blew out the
>>> dust. Now it looks so much nicer inside.
>>>
>>> I also reseated all cables, RAM and the graphics board.
>>>
>>> I don't have Windows so don't have to do a defrag. Do Windows users
>>> still need to do that?
>>>

>> Hi, Walt,
>> I do all this except for defrag.
>> I don't know if the machine runs any cooler after a blow-out but it's
>> certainly a lot quieter.
>>
>> I have a Seagate Momentus Hybrid drive, which says right there in the
>> instructions not to use a defrag application as defragging is not
>> necessary.
>>
>> It seems like a good idea to take them at their word.
>> (';')
>
> Actually, your UA indicates Windows 7 so you are defragmenting:  W7 does
> it automatically.

Ah, missed that you have an SSD.  Not sure if Windows knows enough to
not defrag it.  But you can certainly turn off auto defrag.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Ed Mullen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ed Mullen wrote:
> > LnrB wrote:

> >> Hi, Walt,
> >> I do all this except for defrag.
> >> I don't know if the machine runs any cooler after a blow-out but
> >> it's certainly a lot quieter.

The quietness is almost certainly due to it being cooler;  the fans
don't need to work as much when it's not as hot, and it's the fans
which create most of the noise.

> >> I have a Seagate Momentus Hybrid drive, which says right there in
> >> the instructions not to use a defrag application as defragging is
> >> not necessary.
> >>
> >> It seems like a good idea to take them at their word.
> >> (';')
> >
> > Actually, your UA indicates Windows 7 so you are defragmenting:  W7
> > does it automatically.
>
> Ah, missed that you have an SSD.  Not sure if Windows knows enough to
> not defrag it.  But you can certainly turn off auto defrag.

If the hybrid drive came as part of an OEM machine, the OEM should have
pre-configured it.  If not, auto defrag should definitely be turned off.

Fragmentation will happen on the HDD platter, but the caching provided
by the SSD will prevent it from causing any performance hit.

Ed Mullen wrote:

> LnrB wrote:
> > WaltS48 wrote:
> >> Anybody do it?
> >>
> >> I took the covers off today, hauled the case outside, and blew out the
> >> dust. Now it looks so much nicer inside.
> >>
> >> I also reseated all cables, RAM and the graphics board.
> >>
> >> I don't have Windows so don't have to do a defrag. Do Windows users
> >> still need to do that?
> >>

> > Hi, Walt,
> > I do all this except for defrag.
> > I don't know if the machine runs any cooler after a blow-out but it's
> > certainly a lot quieter.
> >
> > I have a Seagate Momentus Hybrid drive, which says right there in the
> > instructions not to use a defrag application as defragging is not
> > necessary.
> >
> > It seems like a good idea to take them at their word.
> > (';')
>
> Actually, your UA indicates Windows 7 so you are defragmenting:  W7 does
> it automatically.

Hmm.  I don't know how that happened, Ed, because every morning XP
greets me, just like I installed it to do.
(';')

»Q« wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Ed Mullen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Ed Mullen wrote:

> The quietness is almost certainly due to it being cooler;  the fans
> don't need to work as much when it's not as hot, and it's the fans
> which create most of the noise.
Yes, Q, immediately after I hit Send I realized what I typed.
Quieter because fins cleaner->cooler running->lower fan speed; not
necessarily in that order.

> > > Actually, your UA indicates Windows 7 so you are defragmenting:  W7
> > > does it automatically.
> >
> > Ah, missed that you have an SSD.  Not sure if Windows knows enough to
> > not defrag it.  But you can certainly turn off auto defrag.
>
> If the hybrid drive came as part of an OEM machine, the OEM should have
> pre-configured it.  If not, auto defrag should definitely be turned off.
>
> Fragmentation will happen on the HDD platter, but the caching provided
> by the SSD will prevent it from causing any performance hit.

I suppose one could say it's OEM, because I built the computer.  It was
the Only way I could get exactly what I wanted.

Auto defrag is indeed OFF.
(';')

Re: Routine Computer Maintenance

Jay Garcia
On 20.05.2014 11:13, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 05/20/2014 12:11 PM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>> WaltS48 wrote:
>>> Anybody do it?
>>>
>>> I took the covers off today, hauled the case outside, and blew out the
>>> dust. Now it looks so much nicer inside.
>>>
>>> I also reseated all cables, RAM and the graphics board.
>>>
>>> I don't have Windows so don't have to do a defrag. Do Windows users
>>> still need to do that?
>>>

>> Since at least Windows 7 defrag is automatically done.
>>
>> <http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/improve-performance-defragmenting-hard-disk#1TC=windows-7>
>>

> Thanks.
>
> And nobody complained they were copying Linux. ;)

"He" will be along shortly!! :-(

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/

LnrB wrote:

> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> LnrB wrote:

>> > Hi, Walt,
>> > I do all this except for defrag.
>> > I don't know if the machine runs any cooler after a blow-out but it's
>> > certainly a lot quieter.
>> >
>> > I have a Seagate Momentus Hybrid drive, which says right there in the
>> > instructions not to use a defrag application as defragging is not
>> > necessary.
>> >
>> > It seems like a good idea to take them at their word.
>> > (';')
>>
>> Actually, your UA indicates Windows 7 so you are defragmenting:  W7 does
>> it automatically.
>>
> Hmm.  I don't know how that happened, Ed, because every morning XP
> greets me, just like I installed it to do.
> (';')

Yep, sorry.  Misread it.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

LnrB <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Firefox/20.0 SeaMonkey/2.17.1

> Ed Mullen wrote:

> > Actually, your UA indicates Windows 7
>
> Hmm.  I don't know how that happened, Ed, because every morning XP
> greets me, just like I installed it to do.

Your UA indicates 32-bit XP.  Win 7 would have 'NT 6.1'.  I'm guessing
Ed glanced at the wrong headers.

On 5/20/2014 11:21 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:

> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> LnrB wrote:

>>> Hi, Walt,
>>> I do all this except for defrag.
>>> I don't know if the machine runs any cooler after a blow-out but it's
>>> certainly a lot quieter.
>>>
>>> I have a Seagate Momentus Hybrid drive, which says right there in the
>>> instructions not to use a defrag application as defragging is not
>>> necessary.
>>>
>>> It seems like a good idea to take them at their word.
>>> (';')
>>
>> Actually, your UA indicates Windows 7 so you are defragmenting:  W7 does
>> it automatically.
>>

> Ah, missed that you have an SSD.  Not sure if Windows knows enough to
> not defrag it.  But you can certainly turn off auto defrag.

It is not necessary to defrag an SSD, and probably not a good idea
either.  Although the number or write cycles in modern solid state
memory is probably more than enough to last several years, even if some
of the files were defragged daily.

On 5/20/2014 11:17 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:

> LnrB wrote:
>> WaltS48 wrote:
>>> Anybody do it?
>>>
>>> I took the covers off today, hauled the case outside, and blew out the
>>> dust. Now it looks so much nicer inside.
>>>
>>> I also reseated all cables, RAM and the graphics board.
>>>
>>> I don't have Windows so don't have to do a defrag. Do Windows users
>>> still need to do that?
>>>

>> Hi, Walt,
>> I do all this except for defrag.
>> I don't know if the machine runs any cooler after a blow-out but it's
>> certainly a lot quieter.
>>
>> I have a Seagate Momentus Hybrid drive, which says right there in the
>> instructions not to use a defrag application as defragging is not
>> necessary.
>>
>> It seems like a good idea to take them at their word.
>> (';')
>
> Actually, your UA indicates Windows 7 so you are defragmenting:  W7 does
> it automatically.

Not on my system!  I could have it done daily, but I like to know what
files are fragmenting, so I do it manually, daily.  Yes, I know that is
a bit unnecessary, but I like to watch the blinking lights.

On 5/20/2014 11:11 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
> Ed Mullen
> http://edmullen.net/
> Sex on television can't hurt you unless you fall off.

Given the size of modern HD TV's, falling off would be quite likely!  Grin.

Re: Routine Computer Maintenance

EE-2
WaltS48 wrote:

> On 05/19/2014 07:07 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
>> On 5/19/2014 3:07 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
>>> Anybody do it?
>>>
>>> I took the covers off today, hauled the case outside, and blew out the
>>> dust. Now it looks so much nicer inside.
>>>
>>> I also reseated all cables, RAM and the graphics board.
>>>
>>> I don't have Windows so don't have to do a defrag. Do Windows users
>>> still need to do that?
>>>

>> Yes, and EVERYONE needs to defrag.  Modern drives, and large caches just
>> cover up the fact that files get fragmented.
>>

> EVERYONE?
>
> [HTG Explains: Why Linux Doesn’t Need
> Defragmenting](http://www.howtogeek.com/115229/htg-explains-why-linux-doesnt-need-defragmenting/)
>

> [What Kind of Maintenance Do I Need to Do On My Linux
> PC?](http://lifehacker.com/5817282/what-kind-of-maintenance-do-i-need-to-do-on-my-linux-pc)

Mac OS drives do not need defragmenting either.  The regular OS
maintenance tasks get done faithfully though.

1234 ... 17