Reverting to default dictionary language

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Reverting to default dictionary language

Lewis Rosenthal
I posted the following on n.p.m.mailnews on August 7. To date, I've had
no responses. I thought I might be able to solicit some reaction from my
friends here:

Does anyone have a quick hack for getting the spellchecker to
automatically revert to the default dictionary when closing the speller
window? I use spell-as-you-type, but occasionally, I use foreign words
or phrases which I want to check. I highlight the section, click Spell,
select my dictionary, and then (invariably) forget to reset my
dictionary to my default (English-US). This results in every word I type
then being selected as misspelled, as the spell-as-you-type code then
switches to the last used dictionary. <sigh>

Also, I've found that switching dictionaries doesn't change the
spellasyoutype status of different phrases. As an example:

Das Flugzeug ist gelb

(Interesting that my English dictionary didn't pick up "ist" in the
above phrase, though it did in this sentence). With English as my
selected dictionary, all of the above words should be underlined by the
speller. Switching to German, and closing the speller, only new words I
type in English are flagged. This is how I would expect it. However,
once I open the speller and check the above German phrase, the
underlining should remain off, even when I switch back to the English
dictionary. In fact, what has happened is that if I move my cursor over
the above phrase (with English now selected), the underlining returns;
conversely, underlined words in this paragraph which I typed while
German was my selected dictionary remain underlined until I cursor over
them.

Expected behavior? Possibly (it is spell-as-you-_type_, after all).
However, it would be much more appropriate (I think) when one has
already spellchecked to remove the underlining and lock it off.

Is there a bug or RFE for any of this open of which anyone is aware?

TIA!!

BTW: Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; U; Warp 4.5; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20051014
MultiZilla/1.8.1.0s SeaMonkey/1.1a

--
Lewis
------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
   New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users International        www.novell.com/linux/truth
Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?               www.hautspot.com
------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Reverting to default dictionary language

Henry Sobotka
Lewis Rosenthal wrote:
>
> Does anyone have a quick hack for getting the spellchecker to
> automatically revert to the default dictionary when closing the speller
> window?

<snip>

Hi Lewis,

To answer the question, spellcheck doesn't know what language the rest
of the text is in, and were it to revert to default upon closing the
window, other users would invariably complain about that behavior if
they were still writing in the non-default language after closing the
window.

To address the problem, have you tried composing in HTML and using the
lang attribute to mark off chunks in another language? In that context,
I would expect spellcheck to switch dictionaries (if installed)
automatically and consider its not doing so a bug. With plain text
composition though, the ability to keep track of multiple languages via
selection would have to be done in memory, and likely be considered a
feature left to an extension because of limited demand.

Using selection to split strings into chunks with a default or other
language assigned to each could easily be done with Javascript, but I
have no idea what would be involved in getting spellcheck to switch
dictionaries automatically in response to the language property of each
chunk.

h~
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Reverting to default dictionary language

Lewis Rosenthal
In reply to this post by Lewis Rosenthal
On 10/24/2005 01:57 am, Henry Sobotka thus wrote :

> Lewis Rosenthal wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone have a quick hack for getting the spellchecker to
>> automatically revert to the default dictionary when closing the
>> speller window?
>
> <snip>
>
> Hi Lewis,
>
> To answer the question, spellcheck doesn't know what language the rest
> of the text is in, and were it to revert to default upon closing the
> window, other users would invariably complain about that behavior if
> they were still writing in the non-default language after closing the
> window.
>
Now that you put it this way, Henry, this does make sense.

> To address the problem, have you tried composing in HTML and using the
> lang attribute to mark off chunks in another language? In that context,
> I would expect spellcheck to switch dictionaries (if installed)
> automatically and consider its not doing so a bug. With plain text
> composition though, the ability to keep track of multiple languages via
> selection would have to be done in memory, and likely be considered a
> feature left to an extension because of limited demand.
>
Good point. I'll try using HTML for composition and see how it behaves.
I hadn't thought of taking such a "standards-based" approach (too close
to see the forest for the trees, I suppose). ;-)

<snip>

Thanks for the clarification and the suggestion!
--
Lewis
------------------------------------------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
   New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users International        www.novell.com/linux/truth
Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?               www.hautspot.com
------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Mozilla-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-os2