Request received: Re: Support the Fork ref:_00DU0Lfqj._5001v1FkamC:ref

Request received: Re: Support the Fork ref:_00DU0Lfqj._5001v1FkamC:ref

Mozilla - General mailing list
Hello ,

Thanks for your email. We have received your request 04153180 and it is being processed by our Support team.

To leave additional comments, please reply to this email.

Best,

TheFork team

TheFork, a TripAdvisor Company

Re: Request received: Re: Support the Fork ref:_00DU0Lfqj._5001v1FkamC:ref

Don Spam's Reckless Son
And this was triggered by a "Cows are Nice" text (as in not html)
posting from a faked email address.
Why?

--
spammus ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/

Re: Request received: Re: Support the Fork

The Real Bev
On 02/01/2020 04:16 PM, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:

> And this was triggered by a "Cows are Nice" text (as in not html)
> posting from a faked email address.
> Why?
>
> Support TheFork wrote:
>> Hello ,
>>
>> Thanks for your email. We have received your request 04153180 and it is being processed by our Support team.
>>
>> To leave additional comments, please reply to this email.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> TheFork team
>>
>> TheFork, a TripAdvisor Company

I sure hope that nobody does any DOS tricks to this company.  That would
be wrong.  REALLY wrong.  REALLY REALLY wrong, especially if there was
an explanation of why it was being done and explaining TAC's
responsibility toward the internet, without which they probably couldn't
survive.

--
Cheers, Bev
    Judges are our only protection against a legal system that can

Re: Request received: Re: Support the Fork

Wolf K.
On 2020-02-01 19:16, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
> spammus ergo sum,

s/ "Spammo, ergo sum."

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com

Re: Request received: Re: Support the Fork ref:_00DU0Lfqj._5001v1FkamC:ref

Mozilla - General mailing list
On 02/01/2020 04:16 PM, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
> And this was triggered by a "Cows are Nice" text (as in not html)
> posting from a faked email address. Why?

Posts from TheFork are killfiled and deleted here, in Thunderbird.

The #2 reference in your headers finds TheFork's spam:
<http://al.howardknight.net/?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3Cmailman.903.1580529925.1613.general%40lists.mozilla.org%3E>

The #1 reference, which I assumed would lead to the trigger, finds nothing:
<http://al.howardknight.net/?STYPE=msgid&MSGI=%3C-vU4Z000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000Q508OZ00oubebwICRsS9bCSNrK7vjw%40sfdc.net%3E>

I've never emailed TheFork, no request 04153180, nothing.
How do you conclude that it was triggered by my post? Which post was it?

> Support TheFork wrote:
>> Hello ,
>>
>> Thanks for your email. We have received your request 04153180 and
>> it is being processed by our Support team.
>>
>> To leave additional comments, please reply to this email.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> TheFork team
>>

>> TheFork, a TripAdvisor Company

Re: Request received: Re: Support the Fork ref:_00DU0Lfqj._5001v1FkamC:ref

Don Spam's Reckless Son
If you look at the timestamp on the fork posting - and I don't know what
timezone you are in so I can't say what it is for you - you posted
something a minute earlier.

Your posting was:
> Sure they do. I have a bit of fun with _your_ posts on the win10 group, and you deserve it.
>

> Everybody should see how GG is received at alt.comp.os.windows-10

and was a reply to something by Don Juan.
I have been looking at these posts and each one is obviously triggered
by another posting with a timestamp up to 3 minutes earlier, there was
no other posting to this Newsgroup at that time.
Your more recent posting - the one I am replying to now - did not have
the same effect.
I wish this was something Chris Ilias could take care of.

spammo ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/

On 02/03/2020 11:12 AM, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:

> If you look at the timestamp on the fork posting - and I don't know
> what timezone you are in so I can't say what it is for you - you
> posted something a minute earlier.
>
> Your posting was:
>> Sure they do. I have a bit of fun with _your_ posts on the win10
>> group, and you deserve it.
>>
>> Everybody should see how GG is received at alt.comp.os.windows-10
>
> and was a reply to something by Don Juan. I have been looking at
> these posts and each one is obviously triggered by another posting
> with a timestamp up to 3 minutes earlier, there was no other posting
> to this Newsgroup at that time. Your more recent posting - the one I
> am replying to now - did not have the same effect. I wish this was
> something Chris Ilias could take care of.

I have no email accounts set up in TB, it's used for newsgroups only.
Either someone is forwarding posts to TheFork, or TheFork reads this group.

On 02/03/2020 11:40 AM, Cows are Nice wrote:

> On 02/03/2020 11:12 AM, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
>> If you look at the timestamp on the fork posting - and I don't know
>> what timezone you are in so I can't say what it is for you - you
>> posted something a minute earlier.
>>
>> Your posting was:
>>> Sure they do. I have a bit of fun with _your_ posts on the win10
>>> group, and you deserve it.
>>>
>>> Everybody should see how GG is received at alt.comp.os.windows-10
>>
>> and was a reply to something by Don Juan. I have been looking at
>> these posts and each one is obviously triggered by another posting
>> with a timestamp up to 3 minutes earlier, there was no other posting
>> to this Newsgroup at that time. Your more recent posting - the one I
>> am replying to now - did not have the same effect. I wish this was
>> something Chris Ilias could take care of.
>
> I have no email accounts set up in TB, it's used for newsgroups only.
> Either someone is forwarding posts to TheFork, or TheFork reads this group.

I think some clueless person accidentally cc'd The Fork with a message
and The Fork has an autoresponder and NOBODY there knows how to kill it.
  If they're still coming in (my killfile works) the TripAdvisor people
are sufficiently clueless that I wouldn'tt want to trust them for travel
advice etc. either.

I miss the days when you had to know at least SOMETHING to access the net.

--
Cheers, Bev

On 02/03/2020 12:42 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 02/03/2020 11:40 AM, Cows are Nice wrote:
>> I have no email accounts set up in TB, it's used for newsgroups only.
>> Either someone is forwarding posts to TheFork, or TheFork reads this
>> group.
>
> I think some clueless person accidentally cc'd The Fork with a message
> and The Fork has an autoresponder

I think that clueless person accidentally uses
"[hidden email]" as his fake address to contact Fork.

> and NOBODY there knows how to kill it.
>   If they're still coming in (my killfile works) the TripAdvisor people
> are sufficiently clueless that I wouldn'tt want to trust them for travel
> advice etc. either.

Someone is using Fork to disrupt this group. There is a persistent pest
here.

Re: Request received: Re: Support the Fork

Mark Rousell-3
On 03/02/2020 20:42, The Real Bev wrote:
> I think some clueless person accidentally cc'd The Fork with a message
> and The Fork has an autoresponder and NOBODY there knows how to kill
> it.  If they're still coming in (my killfile works) the TripAdvisor
> people are sufficiently clueless that I wouldn'tt want to trust them
> for travel advice etc. either.
>
> I miss the days when you had to know at least SOMETHING to access the
> net.

Yup, this is (probably) it. As we should be aware, the very same thing
happened in 2018 with a company named Avas Flowers.

Avas Flowers is a real, legitimate, wholesale flowers vendor in New
Jersey, USA. Someone, somewhere, somehow, subscribed the Avas Flowers
customer support email address to the [hidden email] mail
list (for those who always access this list as a newsgroup, remember
that mozilla.general is also accessible as a mail list). The result of
this was that anyone who posted to this mail list got a response from
the Avas Flowers customer relationship management system! The Avas
Flowers customer support staff could not understand what was happening
and appeared to be incapable of unsubscribing themselves (I tried to
speak to them but they were incapable of understanding).

The same thing seems to have now happened with TheFork. You'd expect
that they'd be a bit more clued up than a flower company but it seems not.

Note that this mail list is not the only victim of this bizarre type of
event. I forget which now but one of the GnuPG mail lists was similarly
affected by another legitimate company's customer support address.

An unanswered question is how do these customer support email addresses
get signed up to mail lists? I cannot see how this can be achieved
without the participation of someone who actually has access to the
customer support email address itself. However, it has now happened
multiple times and it can't be coincidence: There must be a
vulnerability somewhere that someone is taking advantage of.

However, if this is supposed to be some kind of DoS attack, it's a poor
one. It would take multiple concurrent signups to really cause problems.
In practice, it's only ever a bit of an annoyance.

An active moderator, which this list does not have, could easily enough
remove the incorrectly subscribed addresses.

--
Mark Rousell

On 04/02/2020 14:05, Mark Rousell wrote:
> However, if this is supposed to be some kind of DoS attack, it's a
> poor one. It would take multiple concurrent signups to really cause
> problems. In practice, it's only ever a bit of an annoyance. An active
> moderator, which this list does not have, could easily enough remove
> the incorrectly subscribed addresses.

It occurs to me that it could be the other way round: It might be
intended to be a DoS attack against the companies who have been signed
up to the mail list. We don't know how many mail lists they've been
signed up to.

--
Mark Rousell

Re: Request received: Re: Support the Fork

Daniel-3
Mark Rousell wrote on 5/02/2020 1:05 AM:

> On 03/02/2020 20:42, The Real Bev wrote:
>> I think some clueless person accidentally cc'd The Fork with a message
>> and The Fork has an autoresponder and NOBODY there knows how to kill
>> it.  If they're still coming in (my killfile works) the TripAdvisor
>> people are sufficiently clueless that I wouldn'tt want to trust them
>> for travel advice etc. either.
>>
>> I miss the days when you had to know at least SOMETHING to access the
>> net.
>
> Yup, this is (probably) it. As we should be aware, the very same thing
> happened in 2018 with a company named Avas Flowers.
>
> Avas Flowers is a real, legitimate, wholesale flowers vendor in New
> Jersey, USA. Someone, somewhere, somehow, subscribed the Avas Flowers
> customer support email address to the [hidden email] mail
> list (for those who always access this list as a newsgroup, remember
> that mozilla.general is also accessible as a mail list). The result of
> this was that anyone who posted to this mail list got a response from
> the Avas Flowers customer relationship management system! The Avas
> Flowers customer support staff could not understand what was happening
> and appeared to be incapable of unsubscribing themselves (I tried to
> speak to them but they were incapable of understanding).

Many years ago, my ISP apparently had his Server hit, somehow, such that
the naughty peoples got a listing of the e-mail address for his
customers. Also, at about the same time, I had a basic web-page on his
Server which included my e-mail address.

I get Spam, lots of Spam, almost daily.

I have even received Spam from 'me' at my normal e-mail address.

I'm guessing because of this data-mining that went on so long ago.

If I can receive e-mails from 'me', could I have also been signed up to
various web-sights which are now sending me 'legitimate' e-mails??

Could this be what is happening with these 'Support TheFork' posts??
Some naughty person has signed the list up to a legitimate web-page, and
the web-page, through no fault of their own, is now receiving and
responding to 'e-mails' that they never requested??
--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Daniel wrote:

> Mark Rousell wrote on 5/02/2020 1:05 AM:
>> On 03/02/2020 20:42, The Real Bev wrote:
>>> I think some clueless person accidentally cc'd The Fork with a message
>>> and The Fork has an autoresponder and NOBODY there knows how to kill
>>> it.  If they're still coming in (my killfile works) the TripAdvisor
>>> people are sufficiently clueless that I wouldn'tt want to trust them
>>> for travel advice etc. either.
>>>
>>> I miss the days when you had to know at least SOMETHING to access the
>>> net.
>>
>> Yup, this is (probably) it. As we should be aware, the very same thing
>> happened in 2018 with a company named Avas Flowers.
>>
>> Avas Flowers is a real, legitimate, wholesale flowers vendor in New
>> Jersey, USA. Someone, somewhere, somehow, subscribed the Avas Flowers
>> customer support email address to the [hidden email] mail
>> list (for those who always access this list as a newsgroup, remember
>> that mozilla.general is also accessible as a mail list). The result of
>> this was that anyone who posted to this mail list got a response from
>> the Avas Flowers customer relationship management system! The Avas
>> Flowers customer support staff could not understand what was happening
>> and appeared to be incapable of unsubscribing themselves (I tried to
>> speak to them but they were incapable of understanding).
>
> Many years ago, my ISP apparently had his Server hit, somehow, such that
> the naughty peoples got a listing of the e-mail address for his
> customers. Also, at about the same time, I had a basic web-page on his
> Server which included my e-mail address.
>
> I get Spam, lots of Spam, almost daily.
>
> I have even received Spam from 'me' at my normal e-mail address.
>
> I'm guessing because of this data-mining that went on so long ago.
>
> If I can receive e-mails from 'me', could I have also been signed up to
> various web-sights which are now sending me 'legitimate' e-mails??
>
> Could this be what is happening with these 'Support TheFork' posts??
> Some naughty person has signed the list up to a legitimate web-page, and
> the web-page, through no fault of their own, is now receiving and
> responding to 'e-mails' that they never requested??

ok, to your spam problem.  You do not say they got your password, most
(all?) sites you subscribe to will send you a confirmation mail which
you have to reply to.
Nowadays most (all?) mail forwarders check the sender's address for
legitimacy, although I am not sure what that check entails.  Your own
address is legitimate so that is a good reason to use that, I used to
get such mails until I entered my own address into my personal
blacklist.  It has been a few years since they last tried that one with me.

Now to this specific case.  Traffic to this Newsgroup is - say - 3-5
postings a day but only around one a day generate Fork responses.  That
led me to believe that TheFork would only generate one such response a
calendar day (in Australia?) but then I noticed 3 TheForks in just under
24 hours in the Developers Group so that theory is out the window.
It seems that only postings from specific people generate TheForks, but
those people have nothing in common that I can see.  Some post directly
and some via the email interface.
We used to get TheForks in the Support Group but they have stopped - at
least temporarily.

--
spammo ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/

Re: Request received: Re: Support the Fork

J. P. Gilliver (John)-3
In message <[hidden email]>, Don Spam's
Reckless Son <[hidden email]> writes:
[]

>Now to this specific case.  Traffic to this Newsgroup is - say - 3-5
>postings a day but only around one a day generate Fork responses.  That
>led me to believe that TheFork would only generate one such response a
>calendar day (in Australia?) but then I noticed 3 TheForks in just
>under 24 hours in the Developers Group so that theory is out the window.
>It seems that only postings from specific people generate TheForks, but
>those people have nothing in common that I can see.  Some post directly
>and some via the email interface.
>We used to get TheForks in the Support Group but they have stopped - at
>least temporarily.

I take this (and the Firefox one) as newsgroups (rather than a mailing
list). I see the Fork posts same as everyone else. I also have received
the odd Fork email directly to me, though I don't think I've had one of
those for a week or two. (When I was doing, they had differing -
increasing - reference numbers in them; I think I may have had more than
one in a day, though never enough to be more than a minor irritant [not
enough to getting round to setting up any sort of rule].)

I hate petitions, they're the modern-day equivalent of villagers with
pitchforks and flaming torches. - Alison Graham RT 2016/2/20-26

Re: Request received: Re: Support the Fork

J. P. Gilliver (John)-3
In message <SiJE$[hidden email]>, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
<[hidden email]> writes:
[]
>I take this (and the Firefox one) as newsgroups (rather than a mailing
>list). I see the Fork posts same as everyone else. I also have received
>the odd Fork email directly to me, though I don't think I've had one of
>those for a week or two. (When I was doing, they had differing -
>increasing - reference numbers in them; I think I may have had more
>than one in a day, though never enough to be more than a minor irritant
>[not enough to getting round to setting up any sort of rule].)

I spoke too soon - I've just received another email.

"The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's
money."

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> In message <SiJE$[hidden email]>, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
> <[hidden email]> writes:
> []
>> I take this (and the Firefox one) as newsgroups (rather than a mailing
>> list). I see the Fork posts same as everyone else. I also have
>> received the odd Fork email directly to me, though I don't think I've
>> had one of those for a week or two. (When I was doing, they had
>> differing - increasing - reference numbers in them; I think I may have
>> had more than one in a day, though never enough to be more than a
>> minor irritant [not enough to getting round to setting up any sort of
>> rule].)
>
> I spoke too soon - I've just received another email.

Really?  I can't see it and there is nothing in my Filter Log.

Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote on 5/02/2020 8:56 PM:

> Daniel wrote:
>> Mark Rousell wrote on 5/02/2020 1:05 AM:

>>> Yup, this is (probably) it. As we should be aware, the very same thing
>>> happened in 2018 with a company named Avas Flowers.
>>>
>>> Avas Flowers is a real, legitimate, wholesale flowers vendor in New
>>> Jersey, USA. Someone, somewhere, somehow, subscribed the Avas Flowers
>>> customer support email address to the [hidden email] mail
>>> list (for those who always access this list as a newsgroup, remember
>>> that mozilla.general is also accessible as a mail list). The result of
>>> this was that anyone who posted to this mail list got a response from
>>> the Avas Flowers customer relationship management system! The Avas
>>> Flowers customer support staff could not understand what was happening
>>> and appeared to be incapable of unsubscribing themselves (I tried to
>>> speak to them but they were incapable of understanding).
>>
>> Many years ago, my ISP apparently had his Server hit, somehow, such
>> that the naughty peoples got a listing of the e-mail address for his
>> customers. Also, at about the same time, I had a basic web-page on his
>> Server which included my e-mail address.
>>
>> I get Spam, lots of Spam, almost daily.
>>
>> I have even received Spam from 'me' at my normal e-mail address.
>>
>> I'm guessing because of this data-mining that went on so long ago.
>>
>> If I can receive e-mails from 'me', could I have also been signed up
>> to various web-sights which are now sending me 'legitimate' e-mails??
>>
>> Could this be what is happening with these 'Support TheFork' posts??
>> Some naughty person has signed the list up to a legitimate web-page,
>> and the web-page, through no fault of their own, is now receiving and
>> responding to 'e-mails' that they never requested??
>
> ok, to your spam problem.  You do not say they got your password, most
> (all?) sites you subscribe to will send you a confirmation mail which
> you have to reply to.

No, they did not get any passwords (as far as I know), just a listing of
valid (at that time, at least) e-mail addresses so, as I say, I
sometimes receive e-mails from 'me'.

Presumably, other people would also be receiving e-mails from 'me'!

> Nowadays most (all?) mail forwarders check the sender's address for
> legitimacy, although I am not sure what that check entails.  Your own
> address is legitimate so that is a good reason to use that, I used to
> get such mails until I entered my own address into my personal
> blacklist.  It has been a few years since they last tried that one with me.
If your own e-mail address is in your blacklist that would not stop you
receiving e-mails from 'you', just that you would not see anything of
them .... unless you checked for any action on your blacklist list, if
that is even possible!

--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: Request received: Re: Support the Fork

😉 Good Guy 😉
On 05/02/2020 05:53, Daniel wrote:

> Could this be what is happening with these 'Support TheFork' posts??

It could that people who have subscribed to the Mozilla List with their
genuine eMail address are the ones whose posts trigger responses from
TheFork.  I don't use my real eMail so there won't be anything from me
though, I might try using some spammer's eMail to test someday.   I get
some spam but I just delete them and move on but one of these days I'll
try to harvest their eMail and use it here to see if this triggers
anything.  gmail won't work because that indian posting dating sites
here is using gmail address but his posts don't trigger anything.

Nobody has mentioned anything about salesforce.com whose software is
used widely for customer support (TheFork are using this).  May be
something to do with them.

--
With over 1.2 billion devices now running Windows 10, customer

Re: Request received: Re: Support the Fork

J. P. Gilliver (John)-3
In message <[hidden email]>, Don Spam's
Reckless Son <[hidden email]> writes:

>J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> In message <SiJE$[hidden email]>, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
>><[hidden email]> writes:
>> []
>>> I take this (and the Firefox one) as newsgroups (rather than a
>>>mailing  list). I see the Fork posts same as everyone else. I also
>>>have  received the odd Fork email directly to me, though I don't
>>>think I've  had one of those for a week or two. (When I was doing,
>>>they had  differing - increasing - reference numbers in them; I think
>>>I may have  had more than one in a day, though never enough to be
>>>more than a  minor irritant [not enough to getting round to setting
>>>up any sort of  rule].)
>>  I spoke too soon - I've just received another email.
>
>Really?  I can't see it and there is nothing in my Filter Log.

I don't understand: I wouldn't expect you to see my emails.

If you carry on hating, you're the one who's damaged.
- Sir Harold Atcherley, sent to the Burma/Siam railway in April 1943

😉 Good Guy 😉 wrote:

> On 05/02/2020 05:53, Daniel wrote:
>>

>> Could this be what is happening with these 'Support TheFork' posts??
>
> It could that people who have subscribed to the Mozilla List with their
> genuine eMail address are the ones whose posts trigger responses from
> TheFork.  I don't use my real eMail so there won't be anything from me
> though, I might try using some spammer's eMail to test someday.   I get
> some spam but I just delete them and move on but one of these days I'll
> try to harvest their eMail and use it here to see if this triggers
> anything.  gmail won't work because that indian posting dating sites
> here is using gmail address but his posts don't trigger anything.
>
> Nobody has mentioned anything about salesforce.com whose software is
> used widely for customer support (TheFork are using this).  May be
> something to do with them.

If you take a look at the postings triggering TheFork responses you will
see that most of them have fake addresses, Cows are Nice being a prime
example.

--
spammo ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/