Request for Keyboard Accessibility in Thunderbird/Seamonkey re: Altering Headers

Request for Keyboard Accessibility in Thunderbird/Seamonkey re: Altering Headers

David Goldfield
Hello.  I am a blind user of Mozilla products, particularly Seamonkey as
well as Firefox.  I use screen readers to access my Windows computer
with speech output using the NVDA screen reader, available from
www.nvda-project.org.
I have several requests regarding keyboard accessibility accessing
certain functions from within Seamonkey as well as Thunderbird.  These
programs have many keyboard commands which benefits blind and sighted
users alike, but I would like to offer the following requests which
would make using your products even easier from the keyboard.

1.  My first request is regarding the implementation of keyboard
commands to perform certain functions from within Thunderbird and
Seamonkey regarding altering message headers.
I am unable to find a way of adding or removing the headers in my mail
window, such as from, subject, date, etc.  I know that there is a button
which, when clicked, invokes a menu which allows the user to add or
remove specific headings but accessing this graphical button is awkward
and, with NVDA, practically impossible.  Can a menu option or hotkey be
added to allow blind users to access this feature via the keyboard?

2.  I would like the ability to choose the order of my headings, such as
moving the "from" heading to the beginning of the row of headings.  I
cannot find a method of doing this via menus as you can, let's say, with
Outlook which can present a list of headings with "move up" and "move
down" buttons.  Could Mozilla implement a similar system?

3.  While navigating the folder treeviews of items such as Inbox,
Outbox, Trash, etc. could Mozilla allow keyboard users to input the
first letter of the desired folder, such as pressing I for Inbox, T for
Trash, etc.

4.  Would Mozilla consider implementing a hotkey which accesses the
inbox folder from any other mail folder, such as shift-ctrl-I?  As the
Inbox is probably the most commonly accessed folder this would allow
blind users to quickly access this folder without the need to tab into
the folder list and then navigate through the treeview.

5. Finally, would Mozilla consider implementing a user-controlled option
allowing for the Inbox folder to be immediately opened and gaining focus
at startup?  This would allow the message list to immediately become
accessible without the need to first navigate to it?

I would be happy to test any of these features if Mozilla decides to try
implementing them.  If you put the word out that you are considering
adding any of these features I believe that many other blind users would
like to test them as well, particularly on the Blind Mozilla list.

David Goldfield

RE: Request for Keyboard Accessibility in Thunderbird/Seamonkey re:Altering Headers

Jamal Mazrui
As a blind user of Thunderbird, let me affirm the desirability of such
keyboard enhancements.  I would also prefer that that the TO CC and BCC
fields be separate controls when composing a message.

Jamal

Re: Request for Keyboard Accessibility in Thunderbird/Seamonkey re:Altering Headers

David Bolter-3
  Thanks David and Jamal.

Sorry for the late reply. It would be amazing if someone could go
through the list of tbird accessibility bugs and update the status on
any that might already be filed, and file new ones for bugs you describe
below which are not yet filed. I realize this can be cumbersome but if
anyone is willing to spend the time it is really appreciated. Here is
the current list:

http://mzl.la/bdC9KR

cheers,
davidb

On 20/09/10 11:46 AM, Jamal Mazrui wrote:

> As a blind user of Thunderbird, let me affirm the desirability of such
> keyboard enhancements.  I would also prefer that that the TO CC and BCC
> fields be separate controls when composing a message.
>
> Jamal

Wayne Mery
Also, it would not surprise me if there are bugs without the access
keyword which are particularly onerous to accessibility users.
http://bit.ly/cu1tiM are bugs which don't have access keyword, limited
to message reader component and with "header" in the summary. Someone
might review them to see which deserve access keyword.

QA/bugzilla advice ...
http://www.mibbit.com/chat/?server=irc.mozilla.org&channel=#tb-qa
evangelize ... http://www.spreadthunderbird.com/aff/165/
you can help with ... http://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Testing