Replacement for Google Search

B00ze
Good day.

I tried this on Facebook but no one replied, what with the Facebook
algorithms probably no one saw it.

In light of multiple recent reports about Google regarding search
results rankings and YouTube funding, I am looking for an alternative
search engine. I have been test-driving Duck Duck Go for 2 weeks now and
I find it is pretty weak - it returned 3 relevant results when I was
looking for the Better Privacy AddOn earlier this week whereas Google
returned a dozen (at least.) Also, and please correct me if I am wrong,
but I think what Duck Duck Go and IxQuick do is to get their search
results from Google and show them in a different order - I'm not exactly
Google-Free if that is what they do.

So which search engine do you guys use? Everyone's on Google?

Thank you much.
Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / [hidden email]
! (o o)   Member:David-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society

Re: Replacement for Google Search

Good Guy-2
On 14/09/2017 02:03, B00ze wrote:

> Good day.
>
> I tried this on Facebook but no one replied, what with the Facebook
> algorithms probably no one saw it.
>
> In light of multiple recent reports about Google regarding search
> results rankings and YouTube funding, I am looking for an alternative
> search engine. I have been test-driving Duck Duck Go for 2 weeks now
> and I find it is pretty weak - it returned 3 relevant results when I
> was looking for the Better Privacy AddOn earlier this week whereas
> Google returned a dozen (at least.) Also, and please correct me if I
> am wrong, but I think what Duck Duck Go and IxQuick do is to get their
> search results from Google and show them in a different order - I'm
> not exactly Google-Free if that is what they do.
>
> So which search engine do you guys use? Everyone's on Google?
>
> Thank you much.
> Best Regards,

Google is still the king but you can try Bing.  It is from Microsoft but
some people hate everything Microsoft while I hate anything that doesn't
work 100% when I want it.  Microsoft hasn't let me down yet but for
search engines Google is still my favourite.

They say you can have any search engine you want as long as it is Google.

--
With over 500 million devices now running Windows 10, customer

Re: Replacement for Google Search

Arnie Goetchius
B00ze wrote:

> Good day.
>
> I tried this on Facebook but no one replied, what with the Facebook algorithms probably no one saw it.
>
> In light of multiple recent reports about Google regarding search results rankings and YouTube
> funding, I am looking for an alternative search engine. I have been test-driving Duck Duck Go for 2
> weeks now and I find it is pretty weak - it returned 3 relevant results when I was looking for the
> Better Privacy AddOn earlier this week whereas Google returned a dozen (at least.) Also, and please
> correct me if I am wrong, but I think what Duck Duck Go and IxQuick do is to get their search
> results from Google and show them in a different order - I'm not exactly Google-Free if that is what
> they do.
>
> So which search engine do you guys use? Everyone's on Google?
>
> Thank you much.
> Best Regards,

How about https://www.yahoo.com/

Re: Replacement for Google Search

Poutnik-2
Dne 14/09/2017 v 03:03 B00ze napsal(a):

> Good day.
>
> I tried this on Facebook but no one replied, what with the Facebook
> algorithms probably no one saw it.
>
> In light of multiple recent reports about Google regarding search
> results rankings and YouTube funding, I am looking for an alternative
> search engine. I have been test-driving Duck Duck Go for 2 weeks now and
> I find it is pretty weak - it returned 3 relevant results when I was
> looking for the Better Privacy AddOn earlier this week whereas Google
> returned a dozen (at least.) Also, and please correct me if I am wrong,
> but I think what Duck Duck Go and IxQuick do is to get their search
> results from Google and show them in a different order - I'm not exactly
> Google-Free if that is what they do.
>
> So which search engine do you guys use? Everyone's on Google?
>
> Thank you much.
> Best Regards,

IxQuick/Startpage ( they converged ) do use Google with privacy focus,
but I am not aware DDG does so as well. DDG is often the default search
in Linux distributions, I suppose to get rid of Google.

Did you try Bing ? But then you would not be MS free.
Non Windows machines may explode during Bing search. (joking)

--
Poutnik

Wise man guards the words he says,
as they may say about him more,
than he says about the subject.

Re: Replacement for Google Search

PietB-2
B00ze wrote:
> So which search engine do you guys use? Everyone's on Google?

Nope. Only very occasionally. Ixquick aka Startpage is
my default, with Duckduckgo as second.

-p

Re: Replacement for Google Search

Jeff Layman
On 14/09/17 09:00, PietB wrote:
> B00ze wrote:
>> So which search engine do you guys use? Everyone's on Google?
>
> Nope. Only very occasionally. Ixquick aka Startpage is
> my default, with Duckduckgo as second.

I'm afraid you /are/ using Google if you use IxQuick/Startpage (also see
Poutnik's reply).

Quite some time ago I questioned the low number of hits that Startpage
had returned, compared to the same search using Google itself. The reply
from Startpage surprised me; basically, it was that Startpage returns
whatever Google allows it to.

I don't know if that has changed or not. Most of the searches I ask
Startpage to do I find the links I need. Rarely, though, I have to
resort to Google itself, and I can't remember the last time I didn't
find what I was looking for using that.

--

Jeff

Jeff Layman wrote:
> PietB wrote:
>> B00ze wrote:
>>> So which search engine do you guys use? Everyone's on Google?
>>
>> Nope. Only very occasionally. Ixquick aka Startpage is
>> my default, with Duckduckgo as second.
>
> I'm afraid you /are/ using Google if you use IxQuick/Startpage
> (also see Poutnik's reply).

Indirectly, yes. And anonymized.
What I like in particular about SP is that you can "encode"
your settings in the url, although of course that brings a
small privacy risk with it.

> Quite some time ago I questioned the low number of hits that
> Startpage had returned, compared to the same search using
> Google itself. The reply from Startpage surprised me; basically,
> it was that Startpage returns whatever Google allows it to.

I'm not surprised. Google should be able to detect that a
query comes from one of SP's servers, and return only a
limited number of results. As can other search engines that
SP uses. But in general I'm very much satisfied with what
SP does return. It's only when I find the number of results
very/extremely low that I query Google etc. directly.

> I don't know if that has changed or not. Most of the searches
> I ask Startpage to do I find the links I need. Rarely, though,
> I have to resort to Google itself, and I can't remember the
> last time I didn't  find what I was looking for using that.

Same here: see above.

-p

Re: Replacement for Google Search

WaltS48-5
On 9/13/17 9:03 PM, B00ze wrote:

> Good day.
>
> I tried this on Facebook but no one replied, what with the Facebook
> algorithms probably no one saw it.
>
> In light of multiple recent reports about Google regarding search
> results rankings and YouTube funding, I am looking for an alternative
> search engine. I have been test-driving Duck Duck Go for 2 weeks now and
> I find it is pretty weak - it returned 3 relevant results when I was
> looking for the Better Privacy AddOn earlier this week whereas Google
> returned a dozen (at least.) Also, and please correct me if I am wrong,
> but I think what Duck Duck Go and IxQuick do is to get their search
> results from Google and show them in a different order - I'm not exactly
> Google-Free if that is what they do.
>
> So which search engine do you guys use? Everyone's on Google?
>
> Thank you much.
> Best Regards,

Depends on what I'm searching for.

If I'm interested in information about a TV show or movie I use the IMDB
search engine I added to the search engines from the search bar.

The Bugzilla search engine for bugs, occasionally the Wikipedia search
engine.

Many sites have search engines you can add to Firefox.

The Yahoo search engine is the default in recent versions of Firefox.

I set DuckDuckGo as my default.

--
Go Bucs, Pitt, Steelers!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>

Re: Replacement for Google Search

Luis
B00ze wrote:

> Good day.
>
> I tried this on Facebook but no one replied, what with the Facebook
> algorithms probably no one saw it.
>
> In light of multiple recent reports about Google regarding search
> results rankings and YouTube funding, I am looking for an alternative
> search engine. I have been test-driving Duck Duck Go for 2 weeks now and
> I find it is pretty weak - it returned 3 relevant results when I was
> looking for the Better Privacy AddOn earlier this week whereas Google
> returned a dozen (at least.) Also, and please correct me if I am wrong,
> but I think what Duck Duck Go and IxQuick do is to get their search
> results from Google and show them in a different order - I'm not exactly
> Google-Free if that is what they do.
>
> So which search engine do you guys use? Everyone's on Google?
>
> Thank you much.
> Best Regards,

The problem with Google is very simple. They put on top of the search
results what they wish. If you own a site and you stick to "their SEO
rules" your pages might appear on top of the list but, let's say you
don't pay Google's AdWords then your site is placed at the bottom or
simply ignored in the search results.
Rule exception: Big names are on top, particularly if they love Google.
That's the way Google's dictatorship works. Next step is https. If the
site use http their pages will be banned.
Now, regarding other search engines. Unfortunately most of them use
Google results, but if you search: "search engines alternatives", you
will get a bunch of them.

Re: Replacement for Google Search

Wolf K.
On 2017-09-13 21:03, B00ze wrote:

> Good day.
>
> I tried this on Facebook but no one replied, what with the Facebook
> algorithms probably no one saw it.
>
> In light of multiple recent reports about Google regarding search
> results rankings and YouTube funding, I am looking for an alternative
> search engine. I have been test-driving Duck Duck Go for 2 weeks now and
> I find it is pretty weak - it returned 3 relevant results when I was
> looking for the Better Privacy AddOn earlier this week whereas Google
> returned a dozen (at least.) Also, and please correct me if I am wrong,
> but I think what Duck Duck Go and IxQuick do is to get their search
> results from Google and show them in a different order - I'm not exactly
> Google-Free if that is what they do.
>
> So which search engine do you guys use? Everyone's on Google?
>
> Thank you much.
> Best Regards,

duckduckgo.com

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com

Re: Replacement for Google Search

s|b-2
On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 21:03:09 -0400, B00ze wrote:

> So which search engine do you guys use? Everyone's on Google?

In a way, through: startpage.com

--
s|b

On 2017-09-14 11:46, Luis wrote:

> B00ze wrote:
>> Good day.
>>
>> I tried this on Facebook but no one replied, what with the Facebook
>> algorithms probably no one saw it.
>>
>> In light of multiple recent reports about Google regarding search
>> results rankings and YouTube funding, I am looking for an alternative
>> search engine. I have been test-driving Duck Duck Go for 2 weeks now
>> and I find it is pretty weak - it returned 3 relevant results when I
>> was looking for the Better Privacy AddOn earlier this week whereas
>> Google returned a dozen (at least.) Also, and please correct me if I
>> am wrong, but I think what Duck Duck Go and IxQuick do is to get their
>> search results from Google and show them in a different order - I'm
>> not exactly Google-Free if that is what they do.
>>
>> So which search engine do you guys use? Everyone's on Google?
>>
>> Thank you much.
>> Best Regards,
>>
> The problem with Google is very simple. They put on top of the search
> results what they wish.

Actually, it's an algorithm that ranks websites by popularity. The more
hits, the more popular. The list is modified by your search history.
This creates a dumb circle, since fewer than 5% of searchers go beyond
the first page, and 80% don't go past the first half-dozen hits or so.

If you happen to be interested in how silly some woo-woo ideas are, and
search a half dozen or so of e.g.  Moon-Landing-Was-Faked sites, the
next time you look for info about the Moon, you'll get too many hits for
the faked-moon-landing sites.

According the The Register IIRC, Google is redesigning its algorithms so
that the circle will be at least semi-smart.

> If you own a site and you stick to "their SEO
> rules" your pages might appear on top of the list but, let's say you
> don't pay Google's AdWords then your site is placed at the bottom or
> simply ignored in the search results.

One way around this is to use quoted search terms, and/or long search
strings.

> Rule exception: Big names are on top, particularly if they love Google.
> That's the way Google's dictatorship works. Next step is https. If the
> site use http their pages will be banned.
> Now, regarding other search engines. Unfortunately most of them use
> Google results, but if you search: "search engines alternatives", you
> will get a bunch of them.

Yup, but most users have no idea that there are alternatives. Educate
your friends'n'relations. Install alternative search engines for them,
and show them how to switch between/select search engines.

It's like trying to stem the tide. You can't stop the tide, but you
build a higher, longer dock....

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
"Wanted. Schrödinger’s Cat. Dead and Alive."

Re: Replacement for Google Search

EE-2
B00ze wrote:

> Good day.
>
> I tried this on Facebook but no one replied, what with the Facebook
> algorithms probably no one saw it.
>
> In light of multiple recent reports about Google regarding search
> results rankings and YouTube funding, I am looking for an alternative
> search engine. I have been test-driving Duck Duck Go for 2 weeks now and
> I find it is pretty weak - it returned 3 relevant results when I was
> looking for the Better Privacy AddOn earlier this week whereas Google
> returned a dozen (at least.) Also, and please correct me if I am wrong,
> but I think what Duck Duck Go and IxQuick do is to get their search
> results from Google and show them in a different order - I'm not exactly
> Google-Free if that is what they do.
>
> So which search engine do you guys use? Everyone's on Google?
>
> Thank you much.
> Best Regards,

But they do not record your searches for years and try to track you all
over the place.  I think StartPage (from Ixquick) is pretty good.

Arnie Goetchius wrote:

> B00ze wrote:
>> Good day.
>>
>> I tried this on Facebook but no one replied, what with the Facebook algorithms probably no one saw it.
>>
>> In light of multiple recent reports about Google regarding search results rankings and YouTube
>> funding, I am looking for an alternative search engine. I have been test-driving Duck Duck Go for 2
>> weeks now and I find it is pretty weak - it returned 3 relevant results when I was looking for the
>> Better Privacy AddOn earlier this week whereas Google returned a dozen (at least.) Also, and please
>> correct me if I am wrong, but I think what Duck Duck Go and IxQuick do is to get their search
>> results from Google and show them in a different order - I'm not exactly Google-Free if that is what
>> they do.
>>
>> So which search engine do you guys use? Everyone's on Google?
>>
>> Thank you much.
>> Best Regards,
>>
> How about https://www.yahoo.com/

Qwant is not bad either.

Re: Replacement for Google Search

NFN Smith
Jeff Layman wrote:
> On 14/09/17 09:00, PietB wrote:
>> B00ze wrote:
>>> So which search engine do you guys use? Everyone's on Google?
>>
>> Nope. Only very occasionally. Ixquick aka Startpage is
>> my default, with Duckduckgo as second.

If you're using DuckDuckGo, I believe that database being searched is
being provided by Yandex.

> I'm afraid you /are/ using Google if you use IxQuick/Startpage (also see
> Poutnik's reply).

I use IxQuick most of the time.  It's definitely streaming Google's
results, but I notice that it's not quite as thorough. Still, it
insulates your activities from Google.

> Quite some time ago I questioned the low number of hits that Startpage
> had returned, compared to the same search using Google itself. The reply
> from Startpage surprised me; basically, it was that Startpage returns
> whatever Google allows it to.
>
> I don't know if that has changed or not. Most of the searches I ask
> Startpage to do I find the links I need. Rarely, though, I have to
> resort to Google itself, and I can't remember the last time I didn't
> find what I was looking for using that.

What I do with Mozilla browsers is to put a folder in my Bookmarks bar,
with links to several search engines. I've never liked integrating my
address bar and search engine. Thus, I have my browser set not to query
a search engine from the address bar, and I don't use a search bar.
Also, I'm aggressive about using NoScript, and Google is normally
disabled (and I enable only when it's necessary to get a script that
uses Google's scripting engine to run).

Thus, in normal operation, if I need to search, I click on the folder in
the Bookmarks bar, and choose the preferred engine. Most often, that
IxQuick, and most of the time, it's sufficient for my needs. If it's
not, or if I know that I'm doing more in-depth research, I'll go to
Google, or more frequently, I'm using Bing.

Elsewhere in this thread, somebody mentioned Yahoo, and that's usable,
although I believe that they're streaming results from Bing.

Depending on my mood, I may occasionally make use of other search
engines. I think most everybody is streaming results from either Google
or Bing (although there are exceptions), but with each different front
end, you will see different results.

Smith

Wolf K wrote:
>> The problem with Google is very simple. They put on top of the search
>> results what they wish.
>
> Actually, it's an algorithm that ranks websites by popularity. The more
> hits, the more popular. The list is modified by your search history.
> This creates a dumb circle, since fewer than 5% of searchers go beyond
> the first page, and 80% don't go past the first half-dozen hits or so.

One of the fundamental premises of Google is "what you're looking for is
probably what most others are looking for".  That's obviously evolved,
and that's where things like Search Engine Optimization come in, to
influence Google's algorithms.

Actually part of the algorithms are also based on what Google can figure
out about you, the user. The more the algorithms know about you, the
more they can anticipate what you're looking for, and how they determine
"relevance" in their search results ordering.

The problem with this is that if you're looking for something that
doesn't fit the algorithm's assumptions and conclusions, then you may
not find what you're looking for, at all.

If you look the promotional material for DuckDuckGo, they write some
about the potential problems of the "Google Bubble", in that you can end
up being insulated from stuff that doesn't fit.

One of the things that I miss about the old AltaVista engine was the
ability to specify my own ordering of results (as well as granular
Boolean search options), to have better control. But unfortunately,
everybody is pretty much following Google's lead.

Smith

Re: Replacement for Google Search

Jim Fisher
On 13 Sep 2017 at 21:03, B00ze wrote:

> Good day.
>
> I tried this on Facebook but no one replied, what with the Facebook
> algorithms probably no one saw it.
>
> In light of multiple recent reports about Google regarding search
> results rankings and YouTube funding, I am looking for an alternative
> search engine. I have been test-driving Duck Duck Go for 2 weeks now and
> I find it is pretty weak - it returned 3 relevant results when I was
> looking for the Better Privacy AddOn earlier this week whereas Google
> returned a dozen (at least.) Also, and please correct me if I am wrong,
> but I think what Duck Duck Go and IxQuick do is to get their search
> results from Google and show them in a different order - I'm not exactly
> Google-Free if that is what they do.
>
> So which search engine do you guys use? Everyone's on Google?

I've been using DuckDuckGo for ages now and find it works fine for me.If you
use the TOR browser (based on FF, I've just installed it) then DuckDuckGo,
which is the default, can also search the dark web if that's your thing (it's
not mine, but the option's there). However, I probably use Wikipedia just as
much if not more - it depends on the kind of thing I'm searching for.

Jim Fisher

--
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom (needs updating)
http://jimella.wordpress.com - political snippets, especially economic policy

Re: Replacement for Google Search

Mr. Ed-2
On 9/13/17 9:03 PM, B00ze wrote:
[...]

I have found that using my i-phone and telling (asking) Siri what I need, more times than not her first answer is the best.  I just enter that on the home computer and viola I've got it!  Or stay on the i-phone.
--
"This is America!  You can't make a horse
 testify against himself!"      Mister Ed

On 2017-09-13 21:23, Good Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Google is still the king but you can try Bing.  It is from Microsoft but
> some people hate everything Microsoft while I hate anything that doesn't
> work 100% when I want it.  Microsoft hasn't let me down yet but for
> search engines Google is still my favourite.

Yeah, someone on Facebook (Finally saw my post) also suggested Bing. I
tried it with Better Privacy 1.77 and the results we good, much better
than Duck Duck Go. I will probably switch to Bing this week, try it for
a couple weeks. Thanks!

> They say you can have any search engine you want as long as it is Google.

Hehehe :-)

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / [hidden email]
! (o o)   Member:David-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society
oO-( )-Oo  Windows error 05 Multitasking attempted; system confused.

On 2017-09-14 02:48, Poutnik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dne 14/09/2017 v 03:03 B00ze napsal(a):
>>
>> I tried this on Facebook but no one replied, what with the Facebook
>> algorithms probably no one saw it.
>>
>> In light of multiple recent reports about Google regarding search
>> results rankings and YouTube funding, I am looking for an alternative
>> search engine. I have been test-driving Duck Duck Go for 2 weeks now and
>> I find it is pretty weak - it returned 3 relevant results when I was
>> looking for the Better Privacy AddOn earlier this week whereas Google
>> returned a dozen (at least.) Also, and please correct me if I am wrong,
>> but I think what Duck Duck Go and IxQuick do is to get their search
>> results from Google and show them in a different order - I'm not exactly
>> Google-Free if that is what they do.
>>
>> So which search engine do you guys use? Everyone's on Google?
>>
>> Thank you much.
>> Best Regards,
>>

> IxQuick/Startpage ( they converged ) do use Google with privacy focus,
> but I am not aware DDG does so as well. DDG is often the default search
> in Linux distributions, I suppose to get rid of Google.

Both DDG and IxQuick fail the "Better Privacy 1.77" test. They give like
5 relevant results before they start showing things like "blah blah
bought by Russian billionaire for £1.77" which is totally irrelevant to
my search...

> Did you try Bing ? But then you would not be MS free.
> Non Windows machines may explode during Bing search. (joking)

Yup, as Good Guy suggested, I think Bing is my new search for a few
weeks. It returned good results on my single test. Not sure how well I
will find it over a long period...

Thank you.

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / [hidden email]
! (o o)   Member:David-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society
oO-( )-Oo  Why experiment on animals w/ so many bankers out there?