Removing SPDY?

Chris Peterson-12
When does Mozilla plan to deprecate and remove SPDY? Google announced
[1] that they plan to remove Chrome support in early 2016. Microsoft has
already removed IE support from Windows 10 Technical Preview [2].

chris

[1]
https://blog.chromium.org/2015/02/hello-http2-goodbye-spdy-http-is_9.html
[2]
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/10/08/http-2-the-long-awaited-sequel.aspx#10563654

Re: Removing SPDY?

Patrick McManus
Heh - I've gotten this question a lot today :)

Yes, chrome seems to be getting lots of retweets for saying they'll remove
a feature in favor of another feature they aren't even shipping yet :) For
anyone reading that doesn't know, the release channel is already offering
the same http/2 support Chrome hopes to rolli out in the next few weeks.

Instead of declaring an arbitrary date for spdy removal, when the h2
ecosystem is up to the task, we'll withdraw spdy as well. We help with the
testing, development, and evangelism of the open standard all the time and
will continue to help push the process along as a top priority.

Unilaterally dropping a protocol that is being used to advantage by folks
like facebook, cloudflare, and Yahoo! isn't doing our users any favors.
We'll work with servers to move towards a standards track and then make the
change when h2 deployment is a reasonable choice in a variety of server
side protocol stacks. Maybe that will be sooner than chrome, maybe later -
but it will be when the market is ready.

-Patrick

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 8:35 PM, Chris Peterson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> When does Mozilla plan to deprecate and remove SPDY? Google announced [1]
> that they plan to remove Chrome support in early 2016. Microsoft has
> already removed IE support from Windows 10 Technical Preview [2].
>

> chris
>

> [1] https://blog.chromium.org/2015/02/hello-http2-goodbye-
> spdy-http-is_9.html
> [2] http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/10/08/http-2-the-
> long-awaited-sequel.aspx#10563654

Re: Removing SPDY?

Chris Peterson-12
Thanks, Patrick. That sounds like a good plan. :)