Remove Thunderbird email account

Barbara-46
I need to delete a no longer needed email account, plus all email for that
account from Thunderbird.

Thinking I knew what I was doing, (ha).. I went into account settings,
highlighted the account, and using the little "Account Actions" down arrow,
chose "REMOVE ACCOUNT"

It went away alright, but the mail is still there on my computer and in my
profile under the "MAIL" directory.  For those who like details that's:
Thunderbird > Profiles > Profilename > Mail, where the unwanted account has it's
own folder holding all mail ever sent or received.  There are also three other
account folders I want to keep.

Is it OK to just delete that unwanted account folder without messing up my
profile?

--
Barbara

Re: Remove Thunderbird email account

Lars Erdmann
Am 27.06.16 um 23.03 schrieb Barbara:

> I need to delete a no longer needed email account, plus all email for that
> account from Thunderbird.
>
> Thinking I knew what I was doing, (ha).. I went into account settings,
> highlighted the account, and using the little "Account Actions" down arrow,
> chose "REMOVE ACCOUNT"
>
> It went away alright, but the mail is still there on my computer and in my
> profile under the "MAIL" directory.  For those who like details that's:
> Thunderbird > Profiles > Profilename > Mail, where the unwanted account has it's
> own folder holding all mail ever sent or received.  There are also three other
> account folders I want to keep.
>
> Is it OK to just delete that unwanted account folder without messing up my
> profile?

I have done so in the past without a problem (in my case that was some
newsgroup accounts). But you might want to backup the whole profile tree
just in case.

Lars

Re: Remove Thunderbird email account

Dave Yeo-3
On 06/27/16 02:03 PM, Barbara wrote:

> I need to delete a no longer needed email account, plus all email for that
> account from Thunderbird.
>
> Thinking I knew what I was doing, (ha).. I went into account settings,
> highlighted the account, and using the little "Account Actions" down arrow,
> chose "REMOVE ACCOUNT"
>
> It went away alright, but the mail is still there on my computer and in my
> profile under the "MAIL" directory.  For those who like details that's:
> Thunderbird > Profiles > Profilename > Mail, where the unwanted account has it's
> own folder holding all mail ever sent or received.  There are also three other
> account folders I want to keep.
>
> Is it OK to just delete that unwanted account folder without messing up my
> profile?

Should be fine, delete the corresponding msf file as well. Perhaps the
parent one as well and as Lars said, make a backup first.
You also should leave TB running for a while for the folders to get
re-indexed, you can look at the activity monitor under Tools to see the
progress.
Dave

On Mon, 27 Jun 2016 21:34:27 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/27/16 02:03 PM, Barbara wrote:
> > I need to delete a no longer needed email account, plus all email for that
> > account from Thunderbird.
> >
> > Thinking I knew what I was doing, (ha).. I went into account settings,
> > highlighted the account, and using the little "Account Actions" down arrow,
> > chose "REMOVE ACCOUNT"
> >
> > It went away alright, but the mail is still there on my computer and in my
> > profile under the "MAIL" directory.  For those who like details that's:
> > Thunderbird > Profiles > Profilename > Mail, where the unwanted account has it's
> > own folder holding all mail ever sent or received.  There are also three other
> > account folders I want to keep.
> >
> > Is it OK to just delete that unwanted account folder without messing up my
> > profile?
> >

> Should be fine, delete the corresponding msf file as well. Perhaps the
> parent one as well and as Lars said, make a backup first.
> You also should leave TB running for a while for the folders to get
> re-indexed, you can look at the activity monitor under Tools to see the
> progress.
> Dave

Thanks guys.  That seems to have worked.  (I *ALWAYS* make a backup first..)

I deleted the .msf file, then the folder.  Started Thunderbird up and saw no
activity (blank) on the Activity Monitor.  Maybe it went so fast I didn't catch
it since that was my least used email account and it finished before I turned it
on.

Now I'm off to do a new profile backup.    :)

--
Barbara