Remote calendars with webdav

WhoKnows
I'm trying to experiment with remote calendars.  I've been following the
following FAQ:
http://www.twilight-systems.com/flacco/mozcal/mozcal-webdav.html

It shows that when you subscribe or publish to a remote cal, you need to
specify the URL and a user-id and password.  My problem is that there
are no textboxes for the user-id or password in either the subscribe or
publish dialog boxes displayed by calendar.  I'm using the Thunderbird
extension version and the build is 2005/01/11.

I've got it working without a user-id and password, but I'd like to
implement a user-id password scheme for obvious reasons.  I'm unclear
why they cannot be specified.  Any help is appreciated.

--
Thanks for all replies!!

Re: Remote calendars with webdav

WhoKnows
In article <[hidden email]>,
funnel@!REMOVE-THIS!berkshire.rr.com says...

> I'm trying to experiment with remote calendars.  I've been following the
> following FAQ:
> http://www.twilight-systems.com/flacco/mozcal/mozcal-webdav.html
>
> It shows that when you subscribe or publish to a remote cal, you need to
> specify the URL and a user-id and password.  My problem is that there
> are no textboxes for the user-id or password in either the subscribe or
> publish dialog boxes displayed by calendar.  I'm using the Thunderbird
> extension version and the build is 2005/01/11.
>
> I've got it working without a user-id and password, but I'd like to
> implement a user-id password scheme for obvious reasons.  I'm unclear
> why they cannot be specified.  Any help is appreciated.

Jut thought I'd pass along the solution.  It seems the doc I referenced
above was dated.  The way Calendar authenticates now is with a dialog
box that lets you enter the user-id and password.  You can also have t-
bird store this as with other user-id's and passwords.
--
Thermaltake 3000BNA Black w/450W PS
ASUS A8V deluxe

check it out at http://www.widowpc.com/

Re: Remote calendars with webdav

Rod Whiteley
WhoKnows wrote:
> ...The way Calendar authenticates now is with a dialog box...

You could have read this in the help, either by installing it as an
extension, or online at:

http://calendarhelp.mozdev.org/open.xul?topic=share:http

--
Rod Whiteley

Re: Remote calendars with webdav

WhoKnows
In article <dj29u3$[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
says...
> You could have read this in the help, either by installing it as an
> extension, or online at:
>
> http://calendarhelp.mozdev.org/open.xul?topic=share:http

Thanks Rod,  I didn't even realize that there was detailed
documentation.  Thanks for the lead!

Re: Remote calendars with webdav

mistofeles
>>You could have read this in the help, either by installing it as an
>>extension, or online at:
>>
>>http://calendarhelp.mozdev.org/open.xul?topic=share:http
> Thanks Rod,  I didn't even realize that there was detailed
> documentation.  Thanks for the lead!

PTM: Thanks but no thanks.
I gave a try for this DAV. I was lost to innumerable web pages and
links. I collected information and read thru that all.
I downloaded files and started.
I got error messages thru the line and got nowhere.

I got documentation for Apache 2.0. I have 1.3.31
The make-file seems to assume RedHat, I have Slackware, the files are
not where they are expected to be. Files are missing and so on.
And so on.

People working with Mozilla should have a meeting with people in Apache
to make a simple and clean installation packet for either MOD_DAV or a
SFTP based system. SFTP might be more streamline.
SFTP Might work better in cases, where you have your server behind a DSL
firewall. In most cases users have a hole for SSH i their firewall so
that they can administer their home servers.

Pasi wrote:
> I gave a try for this DAV. I was lost...

There is plenty of support for Apache, so I'm sure someone will be able
to help you if you ask in the right place.  I used Apache 2's built-in
DAV module.  I found it was easy to configure.  The separate module for
Apache 1.3 has its own documentation.

Calendar does not do its own networking--it relies on Mozilla features.
  To understand why Mozilla does not have built-in SSH support, have a
look at the discussions in Bugzilla.  There is already a Calendar bug to
track this.  If you can provide more information, add a comment there.

--
Rod Whiteley

Rod Whiteley wrote:

> Pasi wrote:
>
>> I gave a try for this DAV. I was lost...
>
> There is plenty of support for Apache, so I'm sure someone will be able
> to help you if you ask in the right place.  I used Apache 2's built-in
> DAV module.  I found it was easy to configure.  The separate module for
> Apache 1.3 has its own documentation.
>
> Calendar does not do its own networking--it relies on Mozilla features.
>  To understand why Mozilla does not have built-in SSH support, have a
> look at the discussions in Bugzilla.  There is already a Calendar bug to
> track this.  If you can provide more information, add a comment there.

PTM: Thanks. Please do not misunderstand me. I do like Sunbird and we
have it now in all of our machines home. And I have had Apache servers
for years both home and work.
Still, I have my ethernal crusade for documentation and easiness.

It would be nice to have an easy way to share calendars. In near future
the home servers will be reality and then we need tools for sharing
documents.

Pasi wrote:
> It would be nice to have an easy way to share calendars...

Shared file systems and FTP servers are easier than web servers.  I use
FileZilla:

http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/

--
Rod Whiteley