Quantcast

Relicensing wiki.mozilla.org to CC-BY-SA

Relicensing wiki.mozilla.org to CC-BY-SA

Gervase Markham
A few years ago, we made the five-year effort to relicense the Mozilla
codebase under the current tri-license so that our code could be used in
more contexts and circumstances, without losing copyleft. This has been
very successful, enabling projects like Songbird and Miro to happen
which otherwise couldn't due to licensing incompatibilities.

We'd now plan to do another similar, if smaller, thing. The Mozilla
project, and the world, has been moving towards Creative Commons
licences for non-code content. This is the licence used by the Mozilla
Developer Centre and by www.mozilla.org. However, anomalously,
wiki.mozilla.org is currently under the GNU FDL (Free Documentation
Licence). This is for no other reason than it was the MediaWiki default
at the time we set it up, and we inadvertently neglected to change it.

The GNU Project have generously added a relicensing clause to the most
recent version of the FDL, 1.3, to allow FDL wikis to relicense under
Creative Commons CC-BY-SA. wiki.mozilla.org is eligible to use this
exception. We plan to use it to make our wiki content solely CC-BY-SA,
and so interoperable with MDC, www.mozilla.org and the vast body of
other Creative Commons-licensed content around the world. We believe
that this is consistent with contributors' expectations based on their
experience with other Mozilla sites, and it will simplify moving
wiki.mozilla.org content to other such sites and remixing it with
content on those sites.

We want to be sure that people are OK with this, so if you have an
objection, please post it in mozilla.legal.

Gerv