Relase tracking & feature pages unused?

Tom Schuster
This is a very subjective, but I feel like the feature pages are not really
used that much anymore. The inbox is quite full with stuff even from 2011.
Some new features never get a feature page, or only pretty late. A lot of
features don't get the right target version and thus never show up on the
release tracking page. (Or otherwise don't reflect reality)

Example:
Before the 11th September, IonMonkey had no target version and didn't show
up on the release tracking page, but was already landed for Firefox 18.
The JS team is working on a new Baseline JIT, with even working stuff on a
project branch, no feature page yet (I am adding one today :).

This is of course only a very shallow few from my team. But I do remember
adding a target version for eg. the pointer lock.

Some other thing that is bugging me: Most feature pages are mostly empty,
the template is probably to huge for most features. There should be a link
to bugzilla (meta) bug at the top.

Cheers,
Tom

Re: Relase tracking & feature pages unused?

Dave Mandelin-3
On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 7:21:10 AM UTC-7, Tom Schuster wrote:
> This is a very subjective, but I feel like the feature pages are not really
> used that much anymore. The inbox is quite full with stuff even from 2011.
> Some new features never get a feature page, or only pretty late.

That is also what I observe.

> A lot of features don't get the right target version and thus never show
> up on the release tracking page. (Or otherwise don't reflect reality)

I didn't even realize features were shown on the release tracking page. I only used it to find out when different releases were coming out (until I made myself a wall chart).

Dave

Re: Relase tracking & feature pages unused?

Sheila Mooney
Yes, it's true that the feature pages have not really been kept up to date
and in general fewer people are using them. They were an experiment and we
learned a lot from them. The product and project teams are working on some
new tools to help capture features, status and such.

More to come soon...

Cheers,
Sheila

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 6:32 PM, Dave Mandelin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 7:21:10 AM UTC-7, Tom Schuster wrote:
> > This is a very subjective, but I feel like the feature pages are not
> really
> > used that much anymore. The inbox is quite full with stuff even from
> 2011.
> > Some new features never get a feature page, or only pretty late.
>
> That is also what I observe.
>
> > A lot of features don't get the right target version and thus never show
> > up on the release tracking page. (Or otherwise don't reflect reality)
>
> I didn't even realize features were shown on the release tracking page. I
> only used it to find out when different releases were coming out (until I
> made myself a wall chart).
>
> Dave

Re: Relase tracking & feature pages unused?

beltzner
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Sheila Mooney <[hidden email]> wrote:
> learned a lot from them. The product and project teams are working on some
> new tools to help capture features, status and such.

That's great to hear. In my experience (which has grown fallow over
the past year, I confess!) unless a system is tightly integrated into
Bugzilla or hg, it will eventually fail under the burden of keeping
things in sync. That system can be "a human who has the responsibility
of transferring status from one system to the other," or an automated
system.

cheers,
mike

Re: Relase tracking & feature pages unused?

Sheila Mooney
Yes absolutely. Thanks for calling that out.

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 7:16 AM, beltzner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Sheila Mooney <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > learned a lot from them. The product and project teams are working on
> some
> > new tools to help capture features, status and such.
>
> That's great to hear. In my experience (which has grown fallow over
> the past year, I confess!) unless a system is tightly integrated into
> Bugzilla or hg, it will eventually fail under the burden of keeping
> things in sync. That system can be "a human who has the responsibility
> of transferring status from one system to the other," or an automated
> system.
>
> cheers,
> mike

Fwd: Relase tracking & feature pages unused?

Tom Schuster