Refresh - big failure

Sogn Mill-Scout-2
In an effort to deal with the persistent problem of FF running up the memory to near 100% at which point it stops responding, I tried the REFRESH process. Not only did it not solve that problem, but now there is the unprecedented situation of FF running not only as an app, as it should, but also as a series of background processes. At one point there were SIX background processes. I've never seen FF run that way. The memory, as usual, kept climbing well into the 90s. When I end the background processes it crashes some tabs. Crashed tabs (as opposed to the while program crashing) is another thing I haven't experienced. Meanwhile FF has reached its non-responsive state of paralysis a few more times.

I would scrap this program if I had any confidence that another browser would work better, and that I could import my billions of bookmarks.

I'm running FF 56 on Windows 10 but this problem dates back through previous versions.

Thanks.

Sogn

Re: Refresh - big failure

WaltS48-5
On 10/11/17 5:24 AM, Sogn Mill-Scout wrote:

> In an effort to deal with the persistent problem of FF running up the memory to near 100% at which point it stops responding, I tried the REFRESH process. Not only did it not solve that problem, but now there is the unprecedented situation of FF running not only as an app, as it should, but also as a series of background processes. At one point there were SIX background processes. I've never seen FF run that way. The memory, as usual, kept climbing well into the 90s. When I end the background processes it crashes some tabs. Crashed tabs (as opposed to the while program crashing) is another thing I haven't experienced. Meanwhile FF has reached its non-responsive state of paralysis a few more times.
>
> I would scrap this program if I had any confidence that another browser would work better, and that I could import my billions of bookmarks.
>
> I'm running FF 56 on Windows 10 but this problem dates back through previous versions.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sogn

What do the crash signatures report? You do submit them to Mozilla don't
you?

Here is an example from my Firefox Beta 57.0b7.

<https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/0298e1af-a6bc-480c-a26d-b36880171010>

If you can go to about:support, open it in your browser and review it,
or copy and paste a Report ID in a reply.

Mine shows a bug report has been filed for my crashing problem.

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop

Re: Refresh - big failure

Agaric
On 10/11/2017 02:24 AM, Sogn Mill-Scout wrote:
> In an effort to deal with the persistent problem of FF running up the memory to near 100% at which point it stops responding, I tried the REFRESH process. Not only did it not solve that problem, but now there is the unprecedented situation of FF running not only as an app, as it should, but also as a series of background processes. At one point there were SIX background processes. I've never seen FF run that way. The memory, as usual, kept climbing well into the 90s. When I end the background processes it crashes some tabs. Crashed tabs (as opposed to the while program crashing) is another thing I haven't experienced. Meanwhile FF has reached its non-responsive state of paralysis a few more times.
>
> I would scrap this program if I had any confidence that another browser would work better, and that I could import my billions of bookmarks.
>
> I'm running FF 56 on Windows 10 but this problem dates back through previous versions.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sogn

Try that "Minimize memory usage" button at about:memory

Re: Refresh - big failure

Sogn Mill-Scout-2
At 12:47 PM, 10/11/2017, Wednesday, Agaric wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I tried that but it hasn't helped.

Sogn

Re: Refresh - big failure

Sogn Mill-Scout-2
At 08:52 AM, 10/11/2017, Wednesday, WaltS48 wrote:
[...]

National Popular Vote < http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop

I don't think I'm getting crash reports because, technically, it isn't crashing, i.e. it's not terminating on its own. It just stops responding and the little blue circle in lieu of a cursor goes on spinning indefinitely. Sometimes I give it several minutes but it remains non-responsive, so I go to Task Manager and end the process, terminating FF that way. When I restart it it usually gives me that "This is embarrassing" page showing my previously opened windows/tabs in a list, and I can choose to restart all or some of them. I don't see anything about a crash report in those instances, and that's all I'm afflicted with. Once in a great while it crashes and then there is a crash report I submit to Mozilla.

Thanks.

Sogn

Re: Refresh - big failure

Frosted Flake-2
Sogn Mill-Scout wrote:

> At 08:52 AM, 10/11/2017, Wednesday, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 10/11/17 5:24 AM, Sogn Mill-Scout wrote:
>>> In an effort to deal with the persistent problem of FF running up the
>>> memory to near 100% at which point it stops responding, I tried the
>>> REFRESH process. Not only did it not solve that problem, but now
>>> there is the unprecedented situation of FF running not only as an
>>> app, as it should, but also as a series of background processes. At
>>> one point there were SIX background processes. I've never seen FF run
>>> that way. The memory, as usual, kept climbing well into the 90s. When
>>> I end the background processes it crashes some tabs. Crashed tabs (as
>>> opposed to the while program crashing) is another thing I haven't
>>> experienced. Meanwhile FF has reached its non-responsive state of
>>> paralysis a few more times.
>>> I would scrap this program if I had any confidence that another
>>> browser would work better, and that I could import my billions of
>>> bookmarks.
>>> I'm running FF 56 on Windows 10 but this problem dates back through
>>> previous versions.
>>> Thanks.
>>> Sogn
>>
>> What do the crash signatures report? You do submit them to Mozilla
>> don't you?
>>
>> Here is an example from my Firefox Beta 57.0b7.
>>
>> <https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/0298e1af-a6bc-480c-a26d-b36880171010
>> >

>> If you can go to about:support, open it in your browser and review it,
>> or copy and paste a Report ID in a reply.
>>
>> Mine shows a bug report has been filed for my crashing problem.
>>
>> --
>> Go Bills, Steelers, Pitt, Pens and Sabres!
>> Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
>> National Popular Vote <http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/>
>> Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
>

> I don't think I'm getting crash reports because, technically, it isn't
> crashing, i.e. it's not terminating on its own. It just stops responding
> and the little blue circle in lieu of a cursor goes on spinning
> indefinitely. Sometimes I give it several minutes but it remains
> non-responsive, so I go to Task Manager and end the process, terminating
> FF that way. When I restart it it usually gives me that "This is
> embarrassing" page showing my previously opened windows/tabs in a list,
> and I can choose to restart all or some of them. I don't see anything
> about a crash report in those instances, and that's all I'm afflicted
> with. Once in a great while it crashes and then there is a crash report
> I submit to Mozilla.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sogn
I have had the same problem.  So much so that I started went back two FF
versions.  I switched to using Seamonkey for everything (I could live
with its limitations, I could NOT live with FF.  Finally, I got a notice
to update to FF 56.  I did so.  Screwed up all my personalizations.  I
spent two full days trying to get it to look the way I wanted.  No luck.
I found the LittleFox Theme and installed that.  Gets me close but still
no cigar.  I have been using that for the past few days.  The stall/hang
with the blue circle spinning.
The good news is that the 'Restart' on this seems to work and brings me
back to where I was before the stall/hang fairly quickly.  I must say,
the usability of Firefox has deteriorate DRASTICALLY with the past three
or four updates.
I am NOT a happy camper with the way Firefox is evolving.

--
Frosted Flake

Re: Refresh - big failure

Terry
On 10/11/2017 4:59 PM On a whim, Sogn Mill-Scout pounded out on the keyboard

> At 08:52 AM, 10/11/2017, Wednesday, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 10/11/17 5:24 AM, Sogn Mill-Scout wrote:
>>> In an effort to deal with the persistent problem of FF running up the
>>> memory to near 100% at which point it stops responding, I tried the
>>> REFRESH process. Not only did it not solve that problem, but now
>>> there is the unprecedented situation of FF running not only as an
>>> app, as it should, but also as a series of background processes. At
>>> one point there were SIX background processes. I've never seen FF run
>>> that way. The memory, as usual, kept climbing well into the 90s. When
>>> I end the background processes it crashes some tabs. Crashed tabs (as
>>> opposed to the while program crashing) is another thing I haven't
>>> experienced. Meanwhile FF has reached its non-responsive state of
>>> paralysis a few more times.
>>> I would scrap this program if I had any confidence that another
>>> browser would work better, and that I could import my billions of
>>> bookmarks.
>>> I'm running FF 56 on Windows 10 but this problem dates back through
>>> previous versions.
>>> Thanks.
>>> Sogn
>>
>> What do the crash signatures report? You do submit them to Mozilla
>> don't you?
>>
>> Here is an example from my Firefox Beta 57.0b7.
>>
>> <
>> https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/0298e1af-a6bc-480c-a26d-b36880171010
>> >

>> If you can go to about:support, open it in your browser and review it,
>> or copy and paste a Report ID in a reply.
>>
>> Mine shows a bug report has been filed for my crashing problem.
>>

> I don't think I'm getting crash reports because, technically, it isn't
> crashing, i.e. it's not terminating on its own. It just stops responding
> and the little blue circle in lieu of a cursor goes on spinning
> indefinitely. Sometimes I give it several minutes but it remains
> non-responsive, so I go to Task Manager and end the process, terminating
> FF that way. When I restart it it usually gives me that "This is
> embarrassing" page showing my previously opened windows/tabs in a list,
> and I can choose to restart all or some of them. I don't see anything
> about a crash report in those instances, and that's all I'm afflicted
> with. Once in a great while it crashes and then there is a crash report
> I submit to Mozilla.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sogn

The symptoms you're reporting are what dozens of others are experiencing
also. I can only guess that those who write in to the Mozilla webmaster
email are a miniscule portion of the user base that could be
experiencing similar issues with this update.

Terry