Recovering the Sent folder?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Recovering the Sent folder?

Christer Jacobsson
As Salaam Aleikum!

She tried to send a tune to a friend today, 14Mib in size, but SMPMW118
crashed and the Sent folder is now putz weg - it's not completely gone
but much smaller than it should be, so the question is, can it be
recovered someway? Unfortunately no backup exist, so can it be recovered
in some other way? She discovered that under the dir y:\tmp there exists
a number of files that seems to be temporary copies of the mailers
folder, perhaps even the Sent folder, anyway here is the list in
abbreviated form, i.e. no file size is given as it was created with the
command dir /b y:\tmp

<$quote>
etc
mozilla-media-cache
plugtmp
usr
4u6k4VZa.zip.part
clipboardcache
D8LB9f8v.zip.part
files.txt
inXfa45S.zip.part
mozsound.wav
N63VxDAH.zip.part
nscopy-1.tmp
nscopy-2.tmp
nscopy-3.tmp
nscopy-4.tmp
nscopy-5.tmp
nscopy-6.tmp
nscopy-7.tmp
nscopy-8.tmp
nscopy-9.tmp
nscopy-10.tmp
nscopy-11.tmp
nscopy-12.tmp
nscopy-13.tmp
nscopy-14.tmp
nscopy-15.tmp
nscopy-16.tmp
nscopy-17.tmp
nscopy-18.tmp
nscopy-19.tmp
nscopy-20.tmp
nscopy-21.tmp
nscopy-22.tmp
nscopy-23.tmp
nscopy-24.tmp
nscopy-25.tmp
nscopy-26.tmp
nscopy-27.tmp
nscopy-28.tmp
nscopy-29.tmp
nscopy-30.tmp
nscopy-31.tmp
nscopy-32.tmp
nscopy-33.tmp
nscopy-34.tmp
nscopy-35.tmp
nscopy-36.tmp
nscopy-37.tmp
nscopy-38.tmp
nscopy-39.tmp
nscopy-40.tmp
nscopy-41.tmp
nscopy-42.tmp
nscopy.tmp
nsmail-1.eml
nsmail-2.eml
nsmail-3.eml
nsmail-4.eml
nsmail-5.eml
nsmail-6.eml
nsmail-7.eml
nsmail.eml
nsmail.mp3
</$quote>

So could the Sent folder be restored from one of these files (with the
mailer closed of course)?


Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 24th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
        Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)
        Team eCs       e-mail:  [hidden email]   (Alternate)
        Team DRW       Dare Refuse Windows
        Chunkawakan    Lakota/Sioux: Horse
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Recovering the Sent folder?

Dave Yeo-3
Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> As Salaam Aleikum!
>
> She tried to send a tune to a friend today, 14Mib in size, but SMPMW118
> crashed and the Sent folder is now putz weg - it's not completely gone
> but much smaller than it should be, so the question is, can it be
> recovered someway? Unfortunately no backup exist, so can it be recovered
> in some other way? She discovered that under the dir y:\tmp there exists
> a number of files that seems to be temporary copies of the mailers
> folder, perhaps even the Sent folder, anyway here is the list in
> abbreviated form, i.e. no file size is given as it was created with the
> command dir /b y:\tmp
>
> <$quote>
> etc
> mozilla-media-cache
> plugtmp
> usr
> 4u6k4VZa.zip.part
> clipboardcache
> D8LB9f8v.zip.part
> files.txt
> inXfa45S.zip.part
> mozsound.wav
> N63VxDAH.zip.part
> nscopy-1.tmp
> nscopy-2.tmp
> nscopy-3.tmp
> nscopy-4.tmp
> nscopy-5.tmp
> nscopy-6.tmp
> nscopy-7.tmp
> nscopy-8.tmp
> nscopy-9.tmp
> nscopy-10.tmp
> nscopy-11.tmp
> nscopy-12.tmp
> nscopy-13.tmp
> nscopy-14.tmp
> nscopy-15.tmp
> nscopy-16.tmp
> nscopy-17.tmp
> nscopy-18.tmp
> nscopy-19.tmp
> nscopy-20.tmp
> nscopy-21.tmp
> nscopy-22.tmp
> nscopy-23.tmp
> nscopy-24.tmp
> nscopy-25.tmp
> nscopy-26.tmp
> nscopy-27.tmp
> nscopy-28.tmp
> nscopy-29.tmp
> nscopy-30.tmp
> nscopy-31.tmp
> nscopy-32.tmp
> nscopy-33.tmp
> nscopy-34.tmp
> nscopy-35.tmp
> nscopy-36.tmp
> nscopy-37.tmp
> nscopy-38.tmp
> nscopy-39.tmp
> nscopy-40.tmp
> nscopy-41.tmp
> nscopy-42.tmp
> nscopy.tmp
> nsmail-1.eml
> nsmail-2.eml
> nsmail-3.eml
> nsmail-4.eml
> nsmail-5.eml
> nsmail-6.eml
> nsmail-7.eml
> nsmail.eml
> nsmail.mp3
> </$quote>
>
> So could the Sent folder be restored from one of these files (with the
> mailer closed of course)?

You're going to have to look in the eml files and I guess the nscopy*tmp
files to see if they contain your sent mail, keeping the file date in
mind. Then mv your corrupted sent folder out of the way and replace it
as well as deleting your Sent.msf file. Hopefully on restarting the
browser, it'll rebuild the Sent.msf file and your Sent folder will be fine.
Dave
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Recovering the Sent folder?

Christer Jacobsson
Dave Yeo wrote:

> Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>> As Salaam Aleikum!
>>
>> She tried to send a tune to a friend today, 14Mib in size, but SMPMW118
>> crashed and the Sent folder is now putz weg - it's not completely gone
>> but much smaller than it should be, so the question is, can it be
>> recovered someway? Unfortunately no backup exist, so can it be recovered
>> in some other way? She discovered that under the dir y:\tmp there exists
>> a number of files that seems to be temporary copies of the mailers
>> folder, perhaps even the Sent folder, anyway here is the list in
>> abbreviated form, i.e. no file size is given as it was created with the
>> command dir /b y:\tmp
>>
>> <$quote>
>> etc
>> mozilla-media-cache
>> plugtmp
>> usr
>> 4u6k4VZa.zip.part
>> clipboardcache
>> D8LB9f8v.zip.part
>> files.txt
>> inXfa45S.zip.part
>> mozsound.wav
>> N63VxDAH.zip.part
>> nscopy-1.tmp
>> nscopy-2.tmp
>> nscopy-3.tmp
>> nscopy-4.tmp
>> nscopy-5.tmp
>> nscopy-6.tmp
>> nscopy-7.tmp
>> nscopy-8.tmp
>> nscopy-9.tmp
>> nscopy-10.tmp
>> nscopy-11.tmp
>> nscopy-12.tmp
>> nscopy-13.tmp
>> nscopy-14.tmp
>> nscopy-15.tmp
>> nscopy-16.tmp
>> nscopy-17.tmp
>> nscopy-18.tmp
>> nscopy-19.tmp
>> nscopy-20.tmp
>> nscopy-21.tmp
>> nscopy-22.tmp
>> nscopy-23.tmp
>> nscopy-24.tmp
>> nscopy-25.tmp
>> nscopy-26.tmp
>> nscopy-27.tmp
>> nscopy-28.tmp
>> nscopy-29.tmp
>> nscopy-30.tmp
>> nscopy-31.tmp
>> nscopy-32.tmp
>> nscopy-33.tmp
>> nscopy-34.tmp
>> nscopy-35.tmp
>> nscopy-36.tmp
>> nscopy-37.tmp
>> nscopy-38.tmp
>> nscopy-39.tmp
>> nscopy-40.tmp
>> nscopy-41.tmp
>> nscopy-42.tmp
>> nscopy.tmp
>> nsmail-1.eml
>> nsmail-2.eml
>> nsmail-3.eml
>> nsmail-4.eml
>> nsmail-5.eml
>> nsmail-6.eml
>> nsmail-7.eml
>> nsmail.eml
>> nsmail.mp3
>> </$quote>
>>
>> So could the Sent folder be restored from one of these files (with the
>> mailer closed of course)?
>
> You're going to have to look in the eml files and I guess the nscopy*tmp
> files to see if they contain your sent mail, keeping the file date in
> mind. Then mv your corrupted sent folder out of the way and replace it
> as well as deleting your Sent.msf file. Hopefully on restarting the
> browser, it'll rebuild the Sent.msf file and your Sent folder will be fine.
> Dave

Then She should look for the latest nsmail-*.eml and take a look into it
   to see if She can at least partially restore the Sent folder - some
info may be lost, but at least it would be more accurate than the
current Sent folder. And when we ar at it, how should She protect the
Sent folder - copying it before starting SMPMW118 or zipping it up and
place it on another partition where there is space for it? There is
233Mb free space on the y: partition but over 609Mb on the z: partition.
She think that a simple xcopy Sent and it's .msf file to a location on
the z: partition would be the simplest way of doing it - after al, there
are no hidden files in the SMPMW118 structure. After that, it's time to
create a brand new profile for the mailer called Brekke and place the
info on the R: partition after creating the mozilla.org file there -
there is over 10Gb free space there, so it should be sufficient for the
new profile.


Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 24th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
        Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)
        Team eCs       e-mail:  [hidden email]   (Alternate)
        Team DRW       Dare Refuse Windows
        Chunkawakan    Lakota/Sioux: Horse
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Recovering the Sent folder?

Dave Yeo-3
Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> Then She should look for the latest nsmail-*.eml and take a look into it
>   to see if She can at least partially restore the Sent folder - some
> info may be lost, but at least it would be more accurate than the
> current Sent folder. And when we ar at it, how should She protect the
> Sent folder - copying it before starting SMPMW118 or zipping it up and
> place it on another partition where there is space for it? There is
> 233Mb free space on the y: partition but over 609Mb on the z: partition.
> She think that a simple xcopy Sent and it's .msf file to a location on
> the z: partition would be the simplest way of doing it - after al, there
> are no hidden files in the SMPMW118 structure. After that, it's time to
> create a brand new profile for the mailer called Brekke and place the
> info on the R: partition after creating the mozilla.org file there -
> there is over 10Gb free space there, so it should be sufficient for the
> new profile.

Yes, you'll have to look at your files, at least they're in mbox format,
basically all messages in one file.
I personally back up my profiles most of the time when I close the
browser using rsync as well as regularly zipping and copying to a USB
thumb drive. The rsync method is fairly quick on hard drives but slow on
thumb drives so zipping the profile and then copying it is quickest.
Dave
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Recovering the Sent folder?

Christer Jacobsson
Dave Yeo wrote:

> Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>> Then She should look for the latest nsmail-*.eml and take a look into it
>>   to see if She can at least partially restore the Sent folder - some
>> info may be lost, but at least it would be more accurate than the
>> current Sent folder. And when we ar at it, how should She protect the
>> Sent folder - copying it before starting SMPMW118 or zipping it up and
>> place it on another partition where there is space for it? There is
>> 233Mb free space on the y: partition but over 609Mb on the z: partition.
>> She think that a simple xcopy Sent and it's .msf file to a location on
>> the z: partition would be the simplest way of doing it - after al, there
>> are no hidden files in the SMPMW118 structure. After that, it's time to
>> create a brand new profile for the mailer called Brekke and place the
>> info on the R: partition after creating the mozilla.org file there -
>> there is over 10Gb free space there, so it should be sufficient for the
>> new profile.
>
> Yes, you'll have to look at your files, at least they're in mbox format,
> basically all messages in one file.
> I personally back up my profiles most of the time when I close the
> browser using rsync as well as regularly zipping and copying to a USB
> thumb drive. The rsync method is fairly quick on hard drives but slow on
> thumb drives so zipping the profile and then copying it is quickest.
> Dave

When She looked into the Sent folder in the mailer's subdirectory,
mail1.901.telia.com She finds mails that have the name "Kaldani" in it,
but searching for "kaldani" when the mailer is opened gives no result -
have used the mailer's search function looking for "Kaldani" in both the
To and Body, but the search function gives no hit. Also searched for the
Swedish word "låt" in the body of the current Sent folder,  So what's
going on here? Could She close the Mailer, copy the Sent with it's
corresponding .msf file to a convenient location, delete the Sent and
it's corresponding .msf file and copying back the Sent plus it's .msf
file and then fire up the mailer. She haven't touched the Sent folder or
sending mail since the crash, so perhaps this method will bring back
some of the relevant outgoing mails that's not visible in the current
Sent folder. "Kaldani" also appears in some of the nscopy-<number>.tmp,
but She thinks that they are useless for recovery purposes - have just
set the attribute +read on both the Sent and it's .msf file so they
don't get disturbed when She closes down the mailer. Btw you said that
you uses rsync for backup purposes, but does a frontend exist for rsync
which She believes is a linux port. And when we are speaking of slowness
backing up to an USB stick - format it with JFS rather than FAT32, that
will probably speed up the backup process? Are there any good backup
programs out there that are easy to use and that can backup Her whole
system, i,e, not just the WSeB that's She runs now but ALL other
partitions on the system - there are about 40GB in toto onto a 64Gb USB
stick. She have heard of a program called "Back 'em up" and it can
handle EA'S and also Hidden, Read-only and System files as well, but the
program is shareware - haven't the price tag for it now, but if the fee
is not to high it may be a good solution. She have the "Back Again Pro"
on the system, but She have heard that it can't backup more than 2GB
onto a media (hd, usb) but it can backup the whole system onto a DAT74
tape, but the tape station is nearly defunct and Dustin don't sell the
cleaning tape anymore. Is the info of the 2GB limit true or not?


Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 24th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
        Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)
        Team eCs       e-mail:  [hidden email]   (Alternate)
        Team DRW       Dare Refuse Windows
        Chunkawakan    Lakota/Sioux: Horse
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Recovering the Sent folder?

Christer Jacobsson
In reply to this post by Dave Yeo-3
Dave Yeo wrote:

> Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>> Then She should look for the latest nsmail-*.eml and take a look into it
>>   to see if She can at least partially restore the Sent folder - some
>> info may be lost, but at least it would be more accurate than the
>> current Sent folder. And when we ar at it, how should She protect the
>> Sent folder - copying it before starting SMPMW118 or zipping it up and
>> place it on another partition where there is space for it? There is
>> 233Mb free space on the y: partition but over 609Mb on the z: partition.
>> She think that a simple xcopy Sent and it's .msf file to a location on
>> the z: partition would be the simplest way of doing it - after al, there
>> are no hidden files in the SMPMW118 structure. After that, it's time to
>> create a brand new profile for the mailer called Brekke and place the
>> info on the R: partition after creating the mozilla.org file there -
>> there is over 10Gb free space there, so it should be sufficient for the
>> new profile.
>
> Yes, you'll have to look at your files, at least they're in mbox format,
> basically all messages in one file.
> I personally back up my profiles most of the time when I close the
> browser using rsync as well as regularly zipping and copying to a USB
> thumb drive. The rsync method is fairly quick on hard drives but slow on
> thumb drives so zipping the profile and then copying it is quickest.
> Dave


What format do you have on the USB stick? If it's FAT32, reformat it to
JFS instead - with JFS you can back up files larger than 2Gib (2GB).


Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 24th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
        Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)
        Team eCs       e-mail:  [hidden email]   (Alternate)
        Team DRW       Dare Refuse Windows
        Chunkawakan    Lakota/Sioux: Horse
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2