Recovering lost mail in Inbox?

Christer Jacobsson
As Salaam Aleikum!

She uses SMPmW118 as Her mailer and last night the system crashed while
She was composing a reply to a mail in the Inbox, and when the CHKDSK Y:
ran at bootup time it deleted the Inbox and Inbox.msf. So She did a
restore of these files from the last FULL backup done last Saturday plus
from the DIFF backup done yesterday (Sunday) - naturally SMPmW118 was
NOT running during the restore. SMPmW118 is configured to show the inbox
in reverse chronological order, i.e. the newest mail at the top and the
oldest at the bottom of the mail list. Then She fired up SMPmW118 in
mailer mode as She always do and the inbox info showed the correct
number of mails there BUT only the most recent mails showed up a mail
body, the rest of the mail bodies showed up empty, but when She used the
End key to go to the FIRST mail (=earliest) then the body showed up
correctly, and when She used PgUp to go to up one page in the mail
listing it showed correct mail bodies. Used the PgUp key about 50 times
and the mail bodies showed up as they should. Lastly She Used the Home
key She was at the top of the mail list and the first mails had a
visible body, then they began to show empty bodies again.

But the worst was yet to come: when She fired up the mailer earlier
today, ALL mails between 2012-10-18 and 2016-01-10 was GONE, spurlos
versenkt! And She KNOW that they had lived in the inbox because they
showed up correctly before She closed down the mailer before the FULL
backup done last Saturday.

So where lies the problem? In the Profile->Mail-><mail provider> that
holds the inbox and inbox.msf, in other Profiler data or may the mail
code have been damaged in some way? And is there any way to get back
these lost mails from the FULL backup? She HAS the full code in a ZIP
file so the code for SMPmW118 can easily be restored from the archive it
came in when She last fetched it home.

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 20th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
        Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)

Re: Recovering lost mail in Inbox?

Dave Yeo-3
On 01/11/16 07:36 AM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> As Salaam Aleikum!
>
> She uses SMPmW118 as Her mailer and last night the system crashed while
> She was composing a reply to a mail in the Inbox, and when the CHKDSK Y:
> ran at bootup time it deleted the Inbox and Inbox.msf. So She did a
> restore of these files from the last FULL backup done last Saturday plus
> from the DIFF backup done yesterday (Sunday) - naturally SMPmW118 was
> NOT running during the restore. SMPmW118 is configured to show the inbox
> in reverse chronological order, i.e. the newest mail at the top and the
> oldest at the bottom of the mail list. Then She fired up SMPmW118 in
> mailer mode as She always do and the inbox info showed the correct
> number of mails there BUT only the most recent mails showed up a mail
> body, the rest of the mail bodies showed up empty, but when She used the
> End key to go to the FIRST mail (=earliest) then the body showed up
> correctly, and when She used PgUp to go to up one page in the mail
> listing it showed correct mail bodies. Used the PgUp key about 50 times
> and the mail bodies showed up as they should. Lastly She Used the Home
> key She was at the top of the mail list and the first mails had a
> visible body, then they began to show empty bodies again.
>
> But the worst was yet to come: when She fired up the mailer earlier
> today, ALL mails between 2012-10-18 and 2016-01-10 was GONE, spurlos
> versenkt! And She KNOW that they had lived in the inbox because they
> showed up correctly before She closed down the mailer before the FULL
> backup done last Saturday.
>
> So where lies the problem? In the Profile->Mail-><mail provider> that
> holds the inbox and inbox.msf, in other Profiler data or may the mail
> code have been damaged in some way? And is there any way to get back
> these lost mails from the FULL backup? She HAS the full code in a ZIP
> file so the code for SMPmW118 can easily be restored from the archive it
> came in when She last fetched it home.

Try deleting inbox.msf while SM is not running. It'll rebuild when you
try to access the inbox. If you haven't recently compacted it, you might
also get deleted and filtered mail returning to life.
You can also look at your inbox with a text editor to see if those mails
are still there.
Dave

Dave Yeo wrote:

> On 01/11/16 07:36 AM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>> As Salaam Aleikum!
>>
>> She uses SMPmW118 as Her mailer and last night the system crashed while
>> She was composing a reply to a mail in the Inbox, and when the CHKDSK Y:
>> ran at bootup time it deleted the Inbox and Inbox.msf. So She did a
>> restore of these files from the last FULL backup done last Saturday plus
>> from the DIFF backup done yesterday (Sunday) - naturally SMPmW118 was
>> NOT running during the restore. SMPmW118 is configured to show the inbox
>> in reverse chronological order, i.e. the newest mail at the top and the
>> oldest at the bottom of the mail list. Then She fired up SMPmW118 in
>> mailer mode as She always do and the inbox info showed the correct
>> number of mails there BUT only the most recent mails showed up a mail
>> body, the rest of the mail bodies showed up empty, but when She used the
>> End key to go to the FIRST mail (=earliest) then the body showed up
>> correctly, and when She used PgUp to go to up one page in the mail
>> listing it showed correct mail bodies. Used the PgUp key about 50 times
>> and the mail bodies showed up as they should. Lastly She Used the Home
>> key She was at the top of the mail list and the first mails had a
>> visible body, then they began to show empty bodies again.
>>
>> But the worst was yet to come: when She fired up the mailer earlier
>> today, ALL mails between 2012-10-18 and 2016-01-10 was GONE, spurlos
>> versenkt! And She KNOW that they had lived in the inbox because they
>> showed up correctly before She closed down the mailer before the FULL
>> backup done last Saturday.
>>
>> So where lies the problem? In the Profile->Mail-><mail provider> that
>> holds the inbox and inbox.msf, in other Profiler data or may the mail
>> code have been damaged in some way? And is there any way to get back
>> these lost mails from the FULL backup? She HAS the full code in a ZIP
>> file so the code for SMPmW118 can easily be restored from the archive it
>> came in when She last fetched it home.
>
> Try deleting inbox.msf while SM is not running. It'll rebuild when you
> try to access the inbox. If you haven't recently compacted it, you might
> also get deleted and filtered mail returning to life.

Did just that: closed down SM, killed the inbox.msf file, fired up SM
again about ten minutes ago and (1) the mails between 2012 and 2016 are
still gone and (2) the mailer have been running now for over ten minutes
and the inbox.msf STILL shows a size of zero.

> You can also look at your inbox with a text editor to see if those mails
> are still there.

Have done that with the builtin LIST command in 4os2 and searched for
"kaldani" - a guy from the Home Service which She have sent over a lot
of music to, There exist incoming mails from him but only up to 2012,
the rest are gone and She have searched high and low for those mails
with the search function in the LIST command. So what should She do
next? Close down the mailer, delete Inbox, inbox.msf and popstate (so SM
will fetch mails that have came in later after the FULL backup from last
Saturday, restore Inbox, Inbox.msf and popstate from the FULL backup
done Saturday. And should She do the DIFF restore from Sunday or not?
Lastly, where can the code for SMPmW118 be found?

And luckily as you can see, the newsgroups section have not met with
this calamity, only the Inbox have been screwed up.

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan

Christer Jacobsson wrote:> Dave Yeo wrote:
 >> On 01/11/16 07:36 AM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:
 >>> As Salaam Aleikum!
 >>>
 >>> She uses SMPmW118 as Her mailer and last night the system crashed while
 >>> She was composing a reply to a mail in the Inbox, and when the
CHKDSK Y:
 >>> ran at bootup time it deleted the Inbox and Inbox.msf. So She did a
 >>> restore of these files from the last FULL backup done last Saturday
plus
 >>> from the DIFF backup done yesterday (Sunday) - naturally SMPmW118 was
 >>> NOT running during the restore. SMPmW118 is configured to show the
inbox
 >>> in reverse chronological order, i.e. the newest mail at the top and the
 >>> oldest at the bottom of the mail list. Then She fired up SMPmW118 in
 >>> mailer mode as She always do and the inbox info showed the correct
 >>> number of mails there BUT only the most recent mails showed up a mail
 >>> body, the rest of the mail bodies showed up empty, but when She
used the
 >>> End key to go to the FIRST mail (=earliest) then the body showed up
 >>> correctly, and when She used PgUp to go to up one page in the mail
 >>> listing it showed correct mail bodies. Used the PgUp key about 50 times
 >>> and the mail bodies showed up as they should. Lastly She Used the Home
 >>> key She was at the top of the mail list and the first mails had a
 >>> visible body, then they began to show empty bodies again.
 >>>
 >>> But the worst was yet to come: when She fired up the mailer earlier
 >>> today, ALL mails between 2012-10-18 and 2016-01-10 was GONE, spurlos
 >>> versenkt! And She KNOW that they had lived in the inbox because they
 >>> showed up correctly before She closed down the mailer before the FULL
 >>> backup done last Saturday.
 >>>
 >>> So where lies the problem? In the Profile->Mail-><mail provider> that
 >>> holds the inbox and inbox.msf, in other Profiler data or may the mail
 >>> code have been damaged in some way? And is there any way to get back
 >>> these lost mails from the FULL backup? She HAS the full code in a ZIP
 >>> file so the code for SMPmW118 can easily be restored from the
archive it
 >>> came in when She last fetched it home.
 >>
 >> Try deleting inbox.msf while SM is not running. It'll rebuild when you
 >> try to access the inbox. If you haven't recently compacted it, you
 >> might also get deleted and filtered mail returning to life.
 >
 > Did just that: closed down SM, killed the inbox.msf file, fired up SM
 > again about ten minutes ago and (1) the mails between 2012 and 2016 are
 > still gone and (2) the mailer have been running now for over ten minutes
 > and the inbox.msf STILL shows a size of zero.

That is weird, almost like the backed up inbox is corrupted.

 >> You can also look at your inbox with a text editor to see if those
 >> mails are still there.
 >
 > Have done that with the builtin LIST command in 4os2 and searched for
 > "kaldani" - a guy from the Home Service which She have sent over a lot
 > of music to, There exist incoming mails from him but only up to 2012,
 > the rest are gone and She have searched high and low for those mails
 > with the search function in the LIST command.

Sounds like the mbox is corrupted

 > So what should She do
 > next? Close down the mailer, delete Inbox, inbox.msf and popstate (so SM
 > will fetch mails that have came in later after the FULL backup from last
 > Saturday, restore Inbox, Inbox.msf and popstate from the FULL backup
 > done Saturday. And should She do the DIFF restore from Sunday or not?
 > Lastly, where can the code for SMPmW118 be found?

Try restoring from the full backup. If that works, copy your inbox
somewhere else just in case then try restoring from the diff backup over
it,. at worst you can revert to the full backup.
I've been lucky with crashes, only ever losing a couple of emails though
I have lost inbox.msf a few times and prefs.js even more often. Besides
the regular backups, I also backup internally every time I close SM.
You also have to be careful about letting your inbox (or any mbox
folder) get too big, probably a good idea in the future to create an
archive folder or one for each year and move everything from perhaps a
year ago into the archive folders.
I think the code for SMPmW releases is on sourceforge though I don't
think Peter touched the mail code. Regular SM 1.x exists on the Mozilla
CVS servers, I have a copy of it here.
Dave

Dave Yeo wrote:

> [...]
>  > Did just that: closed down SM, killed the inbox.msf file, fired up SM
>  > again about ten minutes ago and (1) the mails between 2012 and 2016 are
>  > still gone and (2) the mailer have been running now for over ten minutes
>  > and the inbox.msf STILL shows a size of zero.
>
> That is weird, almost like the backed up inbox is corrupted.
>
>  >
>  >> You can also look at your inbox with a text editor to see if those
>  >> mails are still there.
>  >
>  > Have done that with the builtin LIST command in 4os2 and searched for
>  > "kaldani" - a guy from the Home Service which She have sent over a lot
>  > of music to, There exist incoming mails from him but only up to 2012,
>  > the rest are gone and She have searched high and low for those mails
>  > with the search function in the LIST command.

Yup, it IS corrupted what whith all those mails between 2012 and 2016
that now is spurlos versenkt :-( But the mail COUNTER shows about the
same number of mails in the inbox before these troubles began

>  > So what should She do
>  > next? Close down the mailer, delete Inbox, inbox.msf and popstate (so SM
>  > will fetch mails that have came in later after the FULL backup from last
>  > Saturday, restore Inbox, Inbox.msf and popstate from the FULL backup
>  > done Saturday. And should She do the DIFF restore from Sunday or not?
>  > Lastly, where can the code for SMPmW118 be found?
>
> Try restoring from the full backup. If that works, copy your inbox
> somewhere else just in case then try restoring from the diff backup over
> it,. at worst you can revert to the full backup.
> I've been lucky with crashes, only ever losing a couple of emails though
> I have lost inbox.msf a few times and prefs.js even more often. Besides
> the regular backups, I also backup internally every time I close SM.

How do you do that? She uses a file, seamonkeymail.cmd living in the
SMPmW118 dir, so a backup - perhaps a COPY or ZIP can be placed there.
She have considered doing a backup of the mailboxes (Inbox and Sent)
BEFORE the .cmd file kicks in SMPmW118.

> You also have to be careful about letting your inbox (or any mbox
> folder) get too big, probably a good idea in the future to create an
> archive folder or one for each year and move everything from perhaps a
> year ago into the archive folders.
> I think the code for SMPmW releases is on sourceforge though I don't
> think Peter touched the mail code. Regular SM 1.x exists on the Mozilla
> CVS servers, I have a copy of it here.

There even was a homepage where SMPmW118 could be downloaded from, but
She can't remember the URL for it.

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan

On 01/11/16 11:59 PM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>> I've been lucky with crashes, only ever losing a couple of emails
>> though I have lost inbox.msf a few times and prefs.js even more often.
>> Besides the regular backups, I also backup internally every time I
>> close SM.
>
> How do you do that?

I use rsync, rsync -hia2X -del Z:\Mozprofiles g:\Mozprofiles  Z: is
where my profiles live.

> She uses a file, seamonkeymail.cmd living in the
> SMPmW118 dir, so a backup - perhaps a COPY or ZIP can be placed there.
> She have considered doing a backup of the mailboxes (Inbox and Sent)
> BEFORE the .cmd file kicks in SMPmW118.
>
>> You also have to be careful about letting your inbox (or any mbox
>> folder) get too big, probably a good idea in the future to create an
>> archive folder or one for each year and move everything from perhaps a
>> year ago into the archive folders.
>> I think the code for SMPmW releases is on sourceforge though I don't
>> think Peter touched the mail code. Regular SM 1.x exists on the
>> Mozilla CVS servers, I have a copy of it here.
>
> There even was a homepage where SMPmW118 could be downloaded from, but
> She can't remember the URL for it.

http://pmw-warpzilla.sf.net/ was it and should still be it
Dave

Dave Yeo wrote:

> Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>> Dave Yeo wrote:

>>> Try deleting inbox.msf while SM is not running. It'll rebuild when you
>>> try to access the inbox. If you haven't recently compacted it, you
>>> might also get deleted and filtered mail returning to life.
>>
>> Did just that: closed down SM, killed the inbox.msf file, fired up SM
>> again about ten minutes ago and (1) the mails between 2012 and 2016 are
>> still gone and (2) the mailer have been running now for over ten minutes
>> and the inbox.msf STILL shows a size of zero.
>
> That is weird, almost like the backed up inbox is corrupted.
>

>>> You can also look at your inbox with a text editor to see if those
>>> mails are still there.
>>
>> Have done that with the builtin LIST command in 4os2 and searched for
>> "kaldani" - a guy from the Home Service which She have sent over a lot
>> of music to, There exist incoming mails from him but only up to 2012,
>> the rest are gone and She have searched high and low for those mails
>> with the search function in the LIST command.
>
> Sounds like the mbox is corrupted
>
>> So what should She do
>> next? Close down the mailer, delete Inbox, inbox.msf and popstate (so SM
>> will fetch mails that have came in later after the FULL backup from last
>> Saturday, restore Inbox, Inbox.msf and popstate from the FULL backup
>> done Saturday. And should She do the DIFF restore from Sunday or not?
>> Lastly, where can the code for SMPmW118 be found?
>
> Try restoring from the full backup. If that works, copy your inbox
> somewhere else just in case then try restoring from the diff backup over
> it,. at worst you can revert to the full backup.
> I've been lucky with crashes, only ever losing a couple of emails though
> I have lost inbox.msf a few times and prefs.js even more often. Besides
> the regular backups, I also backup internally every time I close SM.
> You also have to be careful about letting your inbox (or any mbox
> folder) get too big, probably a good idea in the future to create an
> archive folder or one for each year and move everything from perhaps a
> year ago into the archive folders.
> I think the code for SMPmW releases is on sourceforge though I don't
> think Peter touched the mail code. Regular SM 1.x exists on the Mozilla
> CVS servers, I have a copy of it here.
> Dave

If She understands it, SMPmW118 stores the mail in for example Inbox and
Sent in *one* file unlike other mailers that stores the mail in a
per-message manager (perhaps one file per message) - Jan van Wijk told
Her that and had the opinion that the storage policy in SM/2 - at least
up till SMPmW118- made the various mail files fragile. And that would
mean that doing a FULL + DIFF restore would be overkill: the latest DIFF
should restore the whole inbox file as it is backed up as one file. And
by the way, the Inbox contains about 5k mails, from 2006 to 2016 -
haven't had the patience to go into it and removing old and now
irrelevant mails. But as She have two backup sets, one for the current
week and one for the week before that, She could try taking the older
backup's last DIFF backup and restoring the inbox and inbox.msf from
there and see what will happen - perhaps the latest DIFF done last
Friday contains an uncorrupted Inbox. But MUST the inbox.msf be restored
along with Inbox (naturally the mailer is closed down during
backuptime). This error *may* be because the inbox is so big, but it can
also be caused if the SMPmW118 code has been damaged, that's why Sbe
asked for the location of the SMPmW118 file: download it, unzip it over
the existing SMPMw118 code tree (the .cmd files would not be deleted by
this as they are 'home-made' and not in the archive) and see what
happens when the freshened SMPmW118 is fired up again.

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan

On 01/12/16 03:56 PM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:
> If She understands it, SMPmW118 stores the mail in for example Inbox and
> Sent in *one* file unlike other mailers that stores the mail in a
> per-message manager (perhaps one file per message)

Yes, each folder is actually one modified mbox format file where all the
mail lives along with the msf file which is like an index.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox

> - Jan van Wijk told
> Her that and had the opinion that the storage policy in SM/2 - at least
> up till SMPmW118- made the various mail files fragile.

Yes they are fragile and still are in the newest SM and TB. TB does now
have an option of storing mail one message per file.
Note also that when you delete a file, the MSF file gets updated and the
deleted mail is still in the mbox. same if you move a message to a
different folder. The compact option (right click on a mail folder)
copies the mail to a new file, removing the deleted mails at the same
time. The mbox can also get very fragmented and a file error might see
part of it vanish, perhaps what happened to you when chkdsk ran.
Up until recently there was also a 2GB limit to the mbox.

> And that would
> mean that doing a FULL + DIFF restore would be overkill: the latest DIFF
> should restore the whole inbox file as it is backed up as one file. And
> by the way, the Inbox contains about 5k mails, from 2006 to 2016 -
> haven't had the patience to go into it and removing old and now
> irrelevant mails. But as She have two backup sets, one for the current
> week and one for the week before that, She could try taking the older
> backup's last DIFF backup and restoring the inbox and inbox.msf from
> there and see what will happen - perhaps the latest DIFF done last
> Friday contains an uncorrupted Inbox.

Be worth trying. After restoring you can move all the mail to a
different folder as well, perhaps called inbox.bak. That way you can
restore your other backup and compare.

> But MUST the inbox.msf be restored
> along with Inbox (naturally the mailer is closed down during
> backuptime).

No, the inbox.msf should be recreated when you access the mail folder.
Possibly if the mbox file is corrupted the msf won't be recreated.
Moving the messages to a new folder might work around this. You also may
get deleted mail or moved mail re-appearing.

> This error *may* be because the inbox is so big, but it can
> also be caused if the SMPmW118 code has been damaged, that's why Sbe
> asked for the location of the SMPmW118 file: download it, unzip it over
> the existing SMPMw118 code tree (the .cmd files would not be deleted by
> this as they are 'home-made' and not in the archive) and see what
> happens when the freshened SMPmW118 is fired up again.

I'd expect that if the code was damaged, SM would not run. Doesn't hurt
to restore it though.
It's more likely that something in your profile has been damaged as they
are also fragile
Dave

Dave Yeo wrote:

> On 01/12/16 03:56 PM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>> If She understands it, SMPmW118 stores the mail in for example Inbox and
>> Sent in *one* file unlike other mailers that stores the mail in a
>> per-message manager (perhaps one file per message)
>
> Yes, each folder is actually one modified mbox format file where all the
> mail lives along with the msf file which is like an index.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox
>
>> - Jan van Wijk told
>> Her that and had the opinion that the storage policy in SM/2 - at least
>> up till SMPmW118- made the various mail files fragile.
>
> Yes they are fragile and still are in the newest SM and TB. TB does now
> have an option of storing mail one message per file.

That was good news! But suppose She can restore the uncorrupted Inbox
and inbox.msf to SMPmW118, how can She switch to the newest TB release,
configure it with the server and newsgroups settings (this must be done
in Offline mode She presumes), set it to store each mail in a separate
file  and then import the uncorrupted Inbox and Sent folders from
SMPmW118? She tried TB some years back, but didn't like the mail columns
was displayed, but reordering the upper pane layout should be possible
with "mouse trick" where one could change the column order: in SMPmW118
it is now from left to right Recipient, Sender, Junk symbol, Subject,
Click to sort by read, Date (with an up arrow meaning the last mail is
at the top of the list), Size, Flag and Priority.

> Note also that when you delete a file, the MSF file gets updated and the

You must mean a *mail* here, not a file. But what function does the
'nstmp' and 'nstmp-n' have?

> deleted mail is still in the mbox. same if you move a message to a
> different folder. The compact option (right click on a mail folder)
> copies the mail to a new file, removing the deleted mails at the same
> time. The mbox can also get very fragmented and a file error might see
> part of it vanish, perhaps what happened to you when chkdsk ran.
> Up until recently there was also a 2GB limit to the mbox.
>
>> And that would
>> mean that doing a FULL + DIFF restore would be overkill: the latest DIFF
>> should restore the whole inbox file as it is backed up as one file. And
>> by the way, the Inbox contains about 5k mails, from 2006 to 2016 -
>> haven't had the patience to go into it and removing old and now
>> irrelevant mails. But as She have two backup sets, one for the current
>> week and one for the week before that, She could try taking the older
>> backup's last DIFF backup and restoring the inbox and inbox.msf from
>> there and see what will happen - perhaps the latest DIFF done last
>> Friday contains an uncorrupted Inbox.
>
> Be worth trying. After restoring you can move all the mail to a
> different folder as well, perhaps called inbox.bak. That way you can
> restore your other backup and compare.
>
>> But MUST the inbox.msf be restored
>> along with Inbox (naturally the mailer is closed down during
>> backuptime).
>
> No, the inbox.msf should be recreated when you access the mail folder.
> Possibly if the mbox file is corrupted the msf won't be recreated.
> Moving the messages to a new folder might work around this. You also may
> get deleted mail or moved mail re-appearing.

Do you mean moving the messages in Inbox to a new folder in the folder
tree called for example inboxsav or some such?

>> This error *may* be because the inbox is so big, but it can
>> also be caused if the SMPmW118 code has been damaged, that's why Sbe
>> asked for the location of the SMPmW118 file: download it, unzip it over
>> the existing SMPMw118 code tree (the .cmd files would not be deleted by
>> this as they are 'home-made' and not in the archive) and see what
>> happens when the freshened SMPmW118 is fired up again.
>
> I'd expect that if the code was damaged, SM would not run. Doesn't hurt
> to restore it though.
> It's more likely that something in your profile has been damaged as they
> are also fragile
> Dave

Which profile data should She restore? All of it or just prefs.js?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 20th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
        Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)
        Team eCs       e-mail:  [hidden email]   (Alternate)
        Team DRW       Dare Refuse Windows
        Chunkawakan    Lakota/Sioux: Horse

Re: Recovering lost mail in Inbox?

Ray Davison
Dave Yeo wrote:

>> - Jan van Wijk told
>> Her that and had the opinion that the storage policy in SM/2 - at least
>> up till SMPmW118- made the various mail files fragile.
>
> Yes they are fragile and still are in the newest SM and TB. TB does now
> have an option of storing mail one message per file.

My mail files began life in early Netscape.  My primary backup system is
copying everything from desktop to laptop and back when I go on the
road.  My current inbox is about 70M.  You may recall I share them with
Win.  But, from the beginning, I have always maintained mail in in a
separate tree outside the profile.  Could that make them less fragile?
A couple times I changed the name of the inbox and let it create a new
one.  Would that be expected to do anything to strength it?

Ray

On 01/14/16 04:55 PM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> Dave Yeo wrote:
>> On 01/12/16 03:56 PM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>>> If She understands it, SMPmW118 stores the mail in for example Inbox and
>>> Sent in *one* file unlike other mailers that stores the mail in a
>>> per-message manager (perhaps one file per message)
>>
>> Yes, each folder is actually one modified mbox format file where all
>> the mail lives along with the msf file which is like an index.
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox
>>
>>> - Jan van Wijk told
>>> Her that and had the opinion that the storage policy in SM/2 - at least
>>> up till SMPmW118- made the various mail files fragile.
>>
>> Yes they are fragile and still are in the newest SM and TB. TB does
>> now have an option of storing mail one message per file.
>
> That was good news! But suppose She can restore the uncorrupted Inbox
> and inbox.msf to SMPmW118, how can She switch to the newest TB release,
> configure it with the server and newsgroups settings (this must be done
> in Offline mode She presumes), set it to store each mail in a separate
> file  and then import the uncorrupted Inbox and Sent folders from
> SMPmW118? She tried TB some years back, but didn't like the mail columns
> was displayed, but reordering the upper pane layout should be possible
> with "mouse trick" where one could change the column order: in SMPmW118
> it is now from left to right Recipient, Sender, Junk symbol, Subject,
> Click to sort by read, Date (with an up arrow meaning the last mail is
> at the top of the list), Size, Flag and Priority.

To be honest, I haven't been keeping up on the state of TB using the
Maildir (individual files) and last I heard was it was going to be
enabled soon, and that was a couple of years ago. Unluckily TB (and SM)
are just run mostly by volunteers and have had shortages of manpower and
money.
Hmm, seems that at you need at least TB 38 and it is likely buggy for
maildirs, and we don't have it yet (it compiles here but doesn't show
any glyphs. Waiting for Bitwise to finish some porting).
Also I don't think work has been done on migrating an old account.

>> Note also that when you delete a file, the MSF file gets updated and the
>
> You must mean a *mail* here, not a file. But what function does the
> 'nstmp' and 'nstmp-n' have?

Yes, mail. I think the nstmp is just where a message is temporarily
stored while writing and before sending. They seem to have gone away on
newer releases. If you have a crash, SM probably loses track of nstmp
and starts using nstmp-n. You can look inside and probably delete any
you have.

>> deleted mail is still in the mbox. same if you move a message to a
>> different folder. The compact option (right click on a mail folder)
>> copies the mail to a new file, removing the deleted mails at the same
>> time. The mbox can also get very fragmented and a file error might see
>> part of it vanish, perhaps what happened to you when chkdsk ran.
>> Up until recently there was also a 2GB limit to the mbox.
>>
>>> And that would
>>> mean that doing a FULL + DIFF restore would be overkill: the latest DIFF
>>> should restore the whole inbox file as it is backed up as one file. And
>>> by the way, the Inbox contains about 5k mails, from 2006 to 2016 -
>>> haven't had the patience to go into it and removing old and now
>>> irrelevant mails. But as She have two backup sets, one for the current
>>> week and one for the week before that, She could try taking the older
>>> backup's last DIFF backup and restoring the inbox and inbox.msf from
>>> there and see what will happen - perhaps the latest DIFF done last
>>> Friday contains an uncorrupted Inbox.
>>
>> Be worth trying. After restoring you can move all the mail to a
>> different folder as well, perhaps called inbox.bak. That way you can
>> restore your other backup and compare.
>>
>>> But MUST the inbox.msf be restored
>>> along with Inbox (naturally the mailer is closed down during
>>> backuptime).
>>
>> No, the inbox.msf should be recreated when you access the mail folder.
>> Possibly if the mbox file is corrupted the msf won't be recreated.
>> Moving the messages to a new folder might work around this. You also
>> may get deleted mail or moved mail re-appearing.
>>

> Do you mean moving the messages in Inbox to a new folder in the folder
> tree called for example inboxsav or some such?

Yes, inboxsav will be a different file from inbox. Don't forget to
compact the inbox after moving messages to a different folder.

>>> This error *may* be because the inbox is so big, but it can
>>> also be caused if the SMPmW118 code has been damaged, that's why Sbe
>>> asked for the location of the SMPmW118 file: download it, unzip it over
>>> the existing SMPMw118 code tree (the .cmd files would not be deleted by
>>> this as they are 'home-made' and not in the archive) and see what
>>> happens when the freshened SMPmW118 is fired up again.
>>
>> I'd expect that if the code was damaged, SM would not run. Doesn't
>> hurt to restore it though.
>> It's more likely that something in your profile has been damaged as
>> they are also fragile
>> Dave
>
> Which profile data should She restore? All of it or just prefs.js?

Probably not prefs.js, you'll know when that is bad as SM will ask you
to create a new account and lose track of things like window size, I've
had it happen here. Prefs.js can get cruft in it so doesn't hurt to keep
older versions around. Look at the size to get an idea if it has grown
due to cruft. It'll also grow for other reasons as well.
There are some profile files that can be deleted and they'll be
recreated, XUL.dat was one, I forget the others.
Sometimes you have to start over, which means migrating things over.
Mozilla used to have some articles on it somewhere, Google can probably
find them

Dave

On 01/14/16 05:08 PM, Ray Davison wrote:

> Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>>> - Jan van Wijk told
>>> Her that and had the opinion that the storage policy in SM/2 - at least
>>> up till SMPmW118- made the various mail files fragile.
>>
>> Yes they are fragile and still are in the newest SM and TB. TB does now
>> have an option of storing mail one message per file.
>
> My mail files began life in early Netscape.  My primary backup system is
> copying everything from desktop to laptop and back when I go on the
> road.  My current inbox is about 70M.  You may recall I share them with
> Win.  But, from the beginning, I have always maintained mail in in a
> separate tree outside the profile.  Could that make them less fragile? A
> couple times I changed the name of the inbox and let it create a new
> one.  Would that be expected to do anything to strength it?

Copying it will do as good a job as anything. I recently deleted my
whole profile and restored from backup, which gave me a performance
boost. Of course the real performance problem is using mork for the
database.
Keeping them in a separate tree shouldn't matter.
The problem is that the mbox can get very fragmented, especially if you
have a few mail folders (mboxes). SM writes to inbox, then writes to
Mozilla-ng, the writes somewhere else, then writes to inbox again. Some
file systems handle this better then others and IIRC, you use FAT32
which is maybe the worst. Helps to have lots of free space on your
partition and just compacting will defrag the file, or as you do,
copying it somewhere else, deleting and copying it back.
Dave

Dave Yeo wrote:

> On 01/14/16 04:55 PM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>> Dave Yeo wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, each folder is actually one modified mbox format file where all
>>> the mail lives along with the msf file which is like an index.
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox

>>> Yes they are fragile and still are in the newest SM and TB. TB does
>>> now have an option of storing mail one message per file.
>>
>> That was good news! But suppose She can restore the uncorrupted Inbox
>> and inbox.msf to SMPmW118, how can She switch to the newest TB release,
>> configure it with the server and newsgroups settings (this must be done
>> in Offline mode She presumes), set it to store each mail in a separate
>> file  and then import the uncorrupted Inbox and Sent folders from
>> SMPmW118? She tried TB some years back, but didn't like the mail columns
>> was displayed, but reordering the upper pane layout should be possible
>> with "mouse trick" where one could change the column order: in SMPmW118
>> it is now from left to right Recipient, Sender, Junk symbol, Subject,
>> Click to sort by read, Date (with an up arrow meaning the last mail is
>> at the top of the list), Size, Flag and Priority.
>
> To be honest, I haven't been keeping up on the state of TB using the
> Maildir (individual files) and last I heard was it was going to be
> enabled soon, and that was a couple of years ago. Unluckily TB (and SM)
> are just run mostly by volunteers and have had shortages of manpower and
> money.
> Hmm, seems that at you need at least TB 38 and it is likely buggy for
> maildirs, and we don't have it yet (it compiles here but doesn't show
> any glyphs. Waiting for Bitwise to finish some porting).
> Also I don't think work has been done on migrating an old account.
>

>>> Note also that when you delete a file, the MSF file gets updated and the
>>
>> You must mean a *mail* here, not a file. But what function does the
>> 'nstmp' and 'nstmp-n' have?
>
> Yes, mail. I think the nstmp is just where a message is temporarily
> stored while writing and before sending. They seem to have gone away on
> newer releases. If you have a crash, SM probably loses track of nstmp
> and starts using nstmp-n. You can look inside and probably delete any
> you have.
>

>>> deleted mail is still in the mbox. same if you move a message to a
>>> different folder. The compact option (right click on a mail folder)
>>> copies the mail to a new file, removing the deleted mails at the same
>>> time. The mbox can also get very fragmented and a file error might see
>>> part of it vanish, perhaps what happened to you when chkdsk ran.
>>> Up until recently there was also a 2GB limit to the mbox.

>>> Be worth trying. After restoring you can move all the mail to a
>>> different folder as well, perhaps called inbox.bak. That way you can
>>> restore your other backup and compare.

How do She do that - details, please?

But She can happily (but knock on wood :-) ) report that after restoring
Inbox, Popstate and ALL of the preference files from the 2016-01-02 FULL
backup, ALL mails were now visible, no missing mails between 2012 and
2016 AND that the mails lying in that time span showed up with proper
texts in them, not just a blank lower pane and an erronous mail header
that differed from one info in the upper pane of the mailer window. The
only fly in the ointment is that many messages are duplicated, but She
haven't the time just now to go through the whole inbox and delete the
duplicates. Are there some function or tool in SMPmW118 that She can use
to (1) indentify duplicate mails - they tend to lie next to each other -
and (2) remove the duplicate without deleting the original?

>>> No, the inbox.msf should be recreated when you access the mail folder.
>>> Possibly if the mbox file is corrupted the msf won't be recreated.
>>> Moving the messages to a new folder might work around this. You also
>>> may get deleted mail or moved mail re-appearing.
>>>

>> Do you mean moving the messages in Inbox to a new folder in the folder
>> tree called for example inboxsav or some such?
>
> Yes, inboxsav will be a different file from inbox. Don't forget to
> compact the inbox after moving messages to a different folder.

But would it not be best waiting with the compaction of the Inbox until
She have deleted the duplicated mails and these mails that are now old
and irrelevant?

>>> I'd expect that if the code was damaged, SM would not run. Doesn't
>>> hurt to restore it though.
>>> It's more likely that something in your profile has been damaged as
>>> they are also fragile
>>> Dave
>>
>> Which profile data should She restore? All of it or just prefs.js?
>
> Probably not prefs.js, you'll know when that is bad as SM will ask you
> to create a new account and lose track of things like window size, I've
> had it happen here. Prefs.js can get cruft in it so doesn't hurt to keep
> older versions around. Look at the size to get an idea if it has grown
> due to cruft. It'll also grow for other reasons as well.

She have found herself in this situation when SMPmW118 asks Her to
create a mail account - the prefs.js is very small then, so the help was
easy: close the mailer, fire up Ba/2 and restore the good prefs.js:
after that the mailer connected to the various folders and servers just
fine.

> There are some profile files that can be deleted and they'll be
> recreated, XUL.dat was one, I forget the others.

What does XUL.dat do anyway?

> Sometimes you have to start over, which means migrating things over.
> Mozilla used to have some articles on it somewhere, Google can probably
> find them
>
> Dave

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan

Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> How do She do that - details, please?

Highlight (shift click or control click) them and drag them to the new
folder.

> But She can happily (but knock on wood :-) ) report that after restoring
> Inbox, Popstate and ALL of the preference files from the 2016-01-02 FULL
> backup, ALL mails were now visible, no missing mails between 2012 and
> 2016 AND that the mails lying in that time span showed up with proper
> texts in them, not just a blank lower pane and an erronous mail header
> that differed from one info in the upper pane of the mailer window. The
> only fly in the ointment is that many messages are duplicated, but She
> haven't the time just now to go through the whole inbox and delete the
> duplicates. Are there some function or tool in SMPmW118 that She can use
> to (1) indentify duplicate mails - they tend to lie next to each other -
> and (2) remove the duplicate without deleting the original?

I don't know of any. I've always ended up doing it the manual way.

>>> Do you mean moving the messages in Inbox to a new folder in the folder
>>> tree called for example inboxsav or some such?
>>
>> Yes, inboxsav will be a different file from inbox. Don't forget to
>> compact the inbox after moving messages to a different folder.
>>

> But would it not be best waiting with the compaction of the Inbox until
> She have deleted the duplicated mails and these mails that are now old
> and irrelevant?

Doesn't hurt to do it twice or more. I try to do it at least once a day
as I don't like duplicates, deleted and such mails coming back.

>>> Which profile data should She restore? All of it or just prefs.js?
>>
>> Probably not prefs.js, you'll know when that is bad as SM will ask you
>> to create a new account and lose track of things like window size,
>> I've had it happen here. Prefs.js can get cruft in it so doesn't hurt
>> to keep older versions around. Look at the size to get an idea if it
>> has grown due to cruft. It'll also grow for other reasons as well.
>
> She have found herself in this situation when SMPmW118 asks Her to
> create a mail account - the prefs.js is very small then, so the help was
> easy: close the mailer, fire up Ba/2 and restore the good prefs.js:
> after that the mailer connected to the various folders and servers just
> fine.

Exactly.

>> There are some profile files that can be deleted and they'll be
>> recreated, XUL.dat was one, I forget the others.
>
> What does XUL.dat do anyway?

I really don't know, perhaps caching the XUL stuff. The Mozilla apps are
written in XUL, XPCOM and JavaScript and just pretend to be native.
Dave