Recent Cancellations in m.s.thunderbird

1234 ... 21

Recent Cancellations in m.s.thunderbird

Gus Richter
I noticed that a couple of squaredancer's posts have been canceled at
m.s.thunderbird  specifically in the "HTML or Plain Text - no problem
for me" thread. I was curious as to what was the content and what could
have caused the deletions, so I googled to see one of the deleted post.
This is what I found (in Google time):

Chris Ilias    Dec 31 2007, 4:01 pm
.... [snip] ....
Remember, those responses [to OT posts] count toward your OT post count.

Gus Richter    Jan 1, 3:04 am
Everyone be advised that *ignorance is NO excuse* - so y'all quake in
your boots and shit your pants 'cause Mozilla has been shown the way;
everyone is on an *OT post count list* and you are being tracked.
Penalty is virtual destruction of your account.

squaredancer   Jan 1, 8:00 am
....or (by far...) worse - permanently diverted to "Mozilla.general"

This last response by squaredancer warrants his post to be deleted?
I had to search through Google's morass to find out his response?
At least two, seemingly at random, have been deleted in the thread.
This is to inform squaredancer and for the off-chance of finding out the
reason why for the deletions.

--
Gus

Re: Recent Cancellations in m.s.thunderbird

John McWilliams via TB
Gus Richter wrote:

> I noticed that a couple of squaredancer's posts have been canceled at
> m.s.thunderbird  specifically in the "HTML or Plain Text - no problem
> for me" thread. I was curious as to what was the content and what
> could have caused the deletions, so I googled to see one of the
> deleted post. This is what I found (in Google time):
>
> Chris Ilias    Dec 31 2007, 4:01 pm
> .... [snip] ....
> Remember, those responses [to OT posts] count toward your OT post count.
>
> Gus Richter    Jan 1, 3:04 am
> Everyone be advised that *ignorance is NO excuse* - so y'all quake in
> your boots and shit your pants 'cause Mozilla has been shown the way;
> everyone is on an *OT post count list* and you are being tracked.
> Penalty is virtual destruction of your account.
>
> squaredancer   Jan 1, 8:00 am
> ....or (by far...) worse - permanently diverted to "Mozilla.general"
>

> This last response by squaredancer warrants his post to be deleted?
> I had to search through Google's morass to find out his response?
> At least two, seemingly at random, have been deleted in the thread.
> This is to inform squaredancer and for the off-chance of finding out
> the reason why for the deletions.

Cancelling posts is a very slippery slope. We simply didn't do it when I
was an active Champion, unless it was simply foul or an attack of some
magnitude.

At the same time two of the most prolific posters could stop with the
sarcasm, baiting and plain excess posting.
Ah, that'd be reg and Grant, in case there's doubt in your minds, gents.

--
John McWilliams

Re: Recent Cancellations in m.s.thunderbird

Jay Garcia
On 03.01.2008 10:08, Gus Richter wrote:

> I noticed that a couple of squaredancer's posts have been canceled at
> m.s.thunderbird  specifically in the "HTML or Plain Text - no problem
> for me" thread. I was curious as to what was the content and what could
> have caused the deletions, so I googled to see one of the deleted post.
> This is what I found (in Google time):
>
> Chris Ilias    Dec 31 2007, 4:01 pm
> .... [snip] ....
> Remember, those responses [to OT posts] count toward your OT post count.
>
> Gus Richter    Jan 1, 3:04 am
> Everyone be advised that *ignorance is NO excuse* - so y'all quake in
> your boots and shit your pants 'cause Mozilla has been shown the way;
> everyone is on an *OT post count list* and you are being tracked.
> Penalty is virtual destruction of your account.
>
> squaredancer   Jan 1, 8:00 am
> ....or (by far...) worse - permanently diverted to "Mozilla.general"
>

> This last response by squaredancer warrants his post to be deleted?
> I had to search through Google's morass to find out his response?
> At least two, seemingly at random, have been deleted in the thread.
> This is to inform squaredancer and for the off-chance of finding out the
> reason why for the deletions.

This would never have happened on Secnews, he would have been tarred and
feathered. :-)

--
Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

On 03.01.2008 10:26, John McWilliams via TB wrote:

>> I noticed that a couple of squaredancer's posts have been canceled at
>> m.s.thunderbird  specifically in the "HTML or Plain Text - no problem
>> for me" thread. I was curious as to what was the content and what
>> could have caused the deletions, so I googled to see one of the
>> deleted post. This is what I found (in Google time):
>>
>> Chris Ilias    Dec 31 2007, 4:01 pm
>> .... [snip] ....
>> Remember, those responses [to OT posts] count toward your OT post count.
>>
>> Gus Richter    Jan 1, 3:04 am
>> Everyone be advised that *ignorance is NO excuse* - so y'all quake in
>> your boots and shit your pants 'cause Mozilla has been shown the way;
>> everyone is on an *OT post count list* and you are being tracked.
>> Penalty is virtual destruction of your account.
>>
>> squaredancer   Jan 1, 8:00 am
>> ....or (by far...) worse - permanently diverted to "Mozilla.general"
>>

>> This last response by squaredancer warrants his post to be deleted?
>> I had to search through Google's morass to find out his response?
>> At least two, seemingly at random, have been deleted in the thread.
>> This is to inform squaredancer and for the off-chance of finding out
>> the reason why for the deletions.
>
> Cancelling posts is a very slippery slope. We simply didn't do it when I
> was an active Champion, unless it was simply foul or an attack of some
> magnitude.

I see we see eye to eye on this one.

> At the same time two of the most prolific posters could stop with the
> sarcasm, baiting and plain excess posting.
> Ah, that'd be reg and Grant, in case there's doubt in your minds, gents.

Still and all they wouldn't have been banned or posts cancelled on
Secnews. And I strongly believe that they behave HERE in accordance with
policy or in spite of policy. If there was no policy I believe they
wouldn't be as prolific.

Now, there are those that are gonna say, "well, this isn't secnews".
Correct, it isn't but if we (some) all remember, news.mozilla.org was
originally hosted on the same server as secnews and there wasn't the
problems there like there are here. Do you think that odd or just a
fluke of nature/policy or what?

--
Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: Recent Cancellations in m.s.thunderbird

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
John McWilliams via TB wrote:

> Gus Richter wrote:
>> I noticed that a couple of squaredancer's posts have been canceled at
>> m.s.thunderbird  specifically in the "HTML or Plain Text - no problem
>> for me" thread. I was curious as to what was the content and what
>> could have caused the deletions, so I googled to see one of the
>> deleted post. This is what I found (in Google time):
>>
>> Chris Ilias    Dec 31 2007, 4:01 pm
>> .... [snip] ....
>> Remember, those responses [to OT posts] count toward your OT post count.
>>
>> Gus Richter    Jan 1, 3:04 am
>> Everyone be advised that *ignorance is NO excuse* - so y'all quake in
>> your boots and shit your pants 'cause Mozilla has been shown the way;
>> everyone is on an *OT post count list* and you are being tracked.
>> Penalty is virtual destruction of your account.
>>
>> squaredancer   Jan 1, 8:00 am
>> ....or (by far...) worse - permanently diverted to "Mozilla.general"
>>

>> This last response by squaredancer warrants his post to be deleted?
>> I had to search through Google's morass to find out his response?
>> At least two, seemingly at random, have been deleted in the thread.
>> This is to inform squaredancer and for the off-chance of finding out
>> the reason why for the deletions.
>
> Cancelling posts is a very slippery slope. We simply didn't do it when I
> was an active Champion, unless it was simply foul or an attack of some
> magnitude.
>
> At the same time two of the most prolific posters could stop with the
> sarcasm, baiting and plain excess posting.
> Ah, that'd be reg and Grant, in case there's doubt in your minds, gents.

ahhh, excuse me, but if you payed attention and noticed, I
have NOT been posting in the FF or TB groups.  And any OT
postings have been in the general group where this sort of
thing is permitted.  So, don't blame me!!!!

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Gus Richter wrote:

> I noticed that a couple of squaredancer's posts have been canceled at
> m.s.thunderbird  specifically in the "HTML or Plain Text - no problem
> for me" thread. I was curious as to what was the content and what could
> have caused the deletions, so I googled to see one of the deleted post.
> This is what I found (in Google time):
>
> Chris Ilias    Dec 31 2007, 4:01 pm
> .... [snip] ....
> Remember, those responses [to OT posts] count toward your OT post count.
>
> Gus Richter    Jan 1, 3:04 am
> Everyone be advised that *ignorance is NO excuse* - so y'all quake in
> your boots and shit your pants 'cause Mozilla has been shown the way;
> everyone is on an *OT post count list* and you are being tracked.
> Penalty is virtual destruction of your account.
>
> squaredancer   Jan 1, 8:00 am
> ....or (by far...) worse - permanently diverted to "Mozilla.general"
>

> This last response by squaredancer warrants his post to be deleted?
> I had to search through Google's morass to find out his response?
> At least two, seemingly at random, have been deleted in the thread.
> This is to inform squaredancer and for the off-chance of finding out the
> reason why for the deletions.

its just not squaredancer's posting that have been removed.
  It seems there are others that have had their postings
obliterated aswell.

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Recent Cancellations in m.s.thunderbird

sean.bean
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 03.01.2008 10:08, Gus Richter wrote:

reg or illias :-0

On 03.01.2008 11:52, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>> I noticed that a couple of squaredancer's posts have been canceled at
>> m.s.thunderbird  specifically in the "HTML or Plain Text - no problem
>> for me" thread. I was curious as to what was the content and what could
>> have caused the deletions, so I googled to see one of the deleted post.
>> This is what I found (in Google time):
>>
>> Chris Ilias    Dec 31 2007, 4:01 pm
>> .... [snip] ....
>> Remember, those responses [to OT posts] count toward your OT post count.
>>
>> Gus Richter    Jan 1, 3:04 am
>> Everyone be advised that *ignorance is NO excuse* - so y'all quake in
>> your boots and shit your pants 'cause Mozilla has been shown the way;
>> everyone is on an *OT post count list* and you are being tracked.
>> Penalty is virtual destruction of your account.
>>
>> squaredancer   Jan 1, 8:00 am
>> ....or (by far...) worse - permanently diverted to "Mozilla.general"
>>

>> This last response by squaredancer warrants his post to be deleted?
>> I had to search through Google's morass to find out his response?
>> At least two, seemingly at random, have been deleted in the thread.
>> This is to inform squaredancer and for the off-chance of finding out the
>> reason why for the deletions.
>>

> its just not squaredancer's posting that have been removed.
>   It seems there are others that have had their postings
> obliterated aswell.

My wife, the retired attorney, is sorta looking (don't hold thy breath)
into copyright and intellectual property laws with respect to newsgroup
postings by individuals as may pertain to those laws. I doubt seriously
that there would be a "case" but who knows. Certainly doesn't come under
the right to Free Speech thing. If you've ever noticed the copyright
statement at the bottom of a PHPBB forum or PHPNuke site, you'll see
what I mean by copyright belongs to the poster, etc. Some copyright
statements are the property of the site(s) in question but that has to
be made apparent to the users to be effective.

On 03.01.2008 12:23, sean bean wrote:

>>> I noticed that a couple of squaredancer's posts have been canceled at
>>> m.s.thunderbird  specifically in the "HTML or Plain Text - no problem
>>> for me" thread. I was curious as to what was the content and what could
>>> have caused the deletions, so I googled to see one of the deleted post.
>>> This is what I found (in Google time):
>>>
>>> Chris Ilias    Dec 31 2007, 4:01 pm
>>> .... [snip] ....
>>> Remember, those responses [to OT posts] count toward your OT post count.
>>>
>>> Gus Richter    Jan 1, 3:04 am
>>> Everyone be advised that *ignorance is NO excuse* - so y'all quake in
>>> your boots and shit your pants 'cause Mozilla has been shown the way;
>>> everyone is on an *OT post count list* and you are being tracked.
>>> Penalty is virtual destruction of your account.
>>>
>>> squaredancer   Jan 1, 8:00 am
>>> ....or (by far...) worse - permanently diverted to "Mozilla.general"
>>>

>>> This last response by squaredancer warrants his post to be deleted?
>>> I had to search through Google's morass to find out his response?
>>> At least two, seemingly at random, have been deleted in the thread.
>>> This is to inform squaredancer and for the off-chance of finding out the
>>> reason why for the deletions.
>>>

>> This would never have happened on Secnews, he would have been tarred and
>> feathered. :-)
>>

> reg or illias :-0

Reg .. or, er ... reg :-)

Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 03.01.2008 12:23, sean bean wrote:

dang... something tells me illias would be more fun to rub tar on... and
he'd look cuter in feathers

Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 03.01.2008 11:52, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

ohhh, thats interesting.  Lets see, in the US, a copyright
becomes effective the moment its been published to the
public.  No need for a copyright notice. But then that would
be a problem.  I violated your copyright because of my
reply.  I left your message intack.

Maybe a change in my sig file is required. ;-)

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Notice: This posting is protected under Copyright Laws.

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: Recent Cancellations in m.s.thunderbird

Chris Ilias-2
On 1/3/08 11:08 AM, _Gus Richter_ spoke thusly:

> I noticed that a couple of squaredancer's posts have been canceled at
> m.s.thunderbird  specifically in the "HTML or Plain Text - no problem
> for me" thread. I was curious as to what was the content and what could
> have caused the deletions, so I googled to see one of the deleted post.
> This is what I found (in Google time):
>
> Chris Ilias    Dec 31 2007, 4:01 pm
> .... [snip] ....
> Remember, those responses [to OT posts] count toward your OT post count.
>
> Gus Richter    Jan 1, 3:04 am
> Everyone be advised that *ignorance is NO excuse* - so y'all quake in
> your boots and shit your pants 'cause Mozilla has been shown the way;
> everyone is on an *OT post count list* and you are being tracked.
> Penalty is virtual destruction of your account.
>
> squaredancer   Jan 1, 8:00 am
> ....or (by far...) worse - permanently diverted to "Mozilla.general"
>

> This last response by squaredancer warrants his post to be deleted?
> I had to search through Google's morass to find out his response?
> At least two, seemingly at random, have been deleted in the thread.
> This is to inform squaredancer and for the off-chance of finding out the
> reason why for the deletions.

Out of those three posters, reg is the only one that has received a
second notification under the OT removal policy [1]. He was informed
that any further posts of his would be deleted, back in April. This has
already been discussed in here:
<http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.general/msg/c93f340f13a3565c>.

[1]<http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html>
--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

On 03.01.2008 13:38, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>> On 03.01.2008 11:52, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

In the reply is where it gets interesting and probably loses merit
unless the copyright extends in that direction as well, I dunno and
really don't care. The "better half" gave up, not interested and with a
smirk on her pretty face. I can't publish her reply as that would
constitute this as being one of the vulgarity accepted groups. Female
lawyers probably have the worst case of "potty mouth" of all
professional women. :-)

--
Jay Garcia Netscape Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Re: Recent Cancellations in m.s.thunderbird

PhillipJones
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 03.01.2008 12:23, sean bean wrote:

  I though maybe Reg feathered and the other Tarred.

Chris Ilias wrote:

> On 1/3/08 11:08 AM, _Gus Richter_ spoke thusly:
>> I noticed that a couple of squaredancer's posts have been canceled at
>> m.s.thunderbird  specifically in the "HTML or Plain Text - no problem
>> for me" thread. I was curious as to what was the content and what
>> could have caused the deletions, so I googled to see one of the
>> deleted post. This is what I found (in Google time):
>>
>> Chris Ilias    Dec 31 2007, 4:01 pm
>> .... [snip] ....
>> Remember, those responses [to OT posts] count toward your OT post count.
>>
>> Gus Richter    Jan 1, 3:04 am
>> Everyone be advised that *ignorance is NO excuse* - so y'all quake in
>> your boots and shit your pants 'cause Mozilla has been shown the way;
>> everyone is on an *OT post count list* and you are being tracked.
>> Penalty is virtual destruction of your account.
>>
>> squaredancer   Jan 1, 8:00 am
>> ....or (by far...) worse - permanently diverted to "Mozilla.general"
>>

>> This last response by squaredancer warrants his post to be deleted?
>> I had to search through Google's morass to find out his response?
>> At least two, seemingly at random, have been deleted in the thread.
>> This is to inform squaredancer and for the off-chance of finding out
>> the reason why for the deletions.
>
> Out of those three posters, reg is the only one that has received a
> second notification under the OT removal policy [1]. He was informed
> that any further posts of his would be deleted, back in April. This has
> already been discussed in here:
> <http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.general/msg/c93f340f13a3565c>.
>
> [1]<http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html>

Quick, quick, let's remove all his posts now since "back in April" so
that nobody notices that we've only _selectively_ done some deletions,
especially in the thread which Gerv has permitted to be OT. Is that now
going to be the follow-up scenario?

--
Gus

Re: Recent Cancellations in m.s.thunderbird

Chris Ilias-2
On 1/3/08 3:38 PM, _Gus Richter_ spoke thusly:

> Chris Ilias wrote:
>
>> Out of those three posters, reg is the only one that has received a
>> second notification under the OT removal policy [1]. He was informed
>> that any further posts of his would be deleted, back in April. This
>> has already been discussed in here:
>> <http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.general/msg/c93f340f13a3565c>.
>>
>> [1]<http://www.mozilla.org/community/cancellation.html>
>
> Quick, quick, let's remove all his posts now since "back in April" so
> that nobody notices that we've only _selectively_ done some deletions,

As per the policy "...and then start to cancel any and all infringing
posts from that person, without warning or comment."

Selective is correct. Only the OT posts get removed.

> especially in the thread which Gerv has permitted to be OT. Is that now
> going to be the follow-up scenario?

"Permitted as OT"? Where? Discussion about whether to use text or HTML
email is on-topic, because that info is useful to Thunderbird users, in
their use of Thunderbird. If I thought it were off-topic, I would has
told you set the follow-up on your original post.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

Re: Recent Cancellations in m.s.thunderbird

»Q«
Jay Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My wife, the retired attorney, is sorta looking (don't hold thy
> breath) into copyright and intellectual property laws with respect to
> newsgroup postings by individuals as may pertain to those laws. I
> doubt seriously that there would be a "case" but who knows. Certainly
> doesn't come under the right to Free Speech thing. If you've ever
> noticed the copyright statement at the bottom of a PHPBB forum or
> PHPNuke site, you'll see what I mean by copyright belongs to the
> poster, etc. Some copyright statements are the property of the
> site(s) in question but that has to be made apparent to the users to
> be effective.

IANAL.

On Usenet at least, authors in the U.S. retain their copyright.  But
they've failed to stop Google from reproducing their work on its
webpages to profit from the posts;  IIRC, the winning argument was that
posters give some kind of implicit consent to have their Usenet posts
reproduced on the web.

I'd guess posters here retain their copyrights, but I can't see what
that would have to do with cancellations.

On 03.01.2008 14:33, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

>>> reg or illias :-0
>>
>> Reg .. or, er ... reg :-)
>>
>   I though maybe Reg feathered and the other Tarred.

If you haven't already noticed I don't take personal issues up in here
nor do I publicly bash or otherwise belittle any of the persons
responsible for maintaining this server but instead we hash things out
via email as it should be.

»Q« wrote:
> I'd guess posters here retain their copyrights, but I can't see what
> that would have to do with cancellations.

thats right, the poster retains their copyrights; therefore,
only the poster has the right to determine whether his post
can be cancelled or not, not the Spam Mooses.  It belongs to
the poster, not to Mozilla.