Really OT: Besides FF what web browsers do you use?

Really OT: Besides FF what web browsers do you use?

Luis
I know all you regular guys in User Groups are somehow knowledgeable
persons, except some trolls and Remulakians ("coneheads") that every now
and then post nonsense.  That's why, out of curiosity, I wish to ask you
what browsers do you use. Here is my list in order of precedence (all up
to date):

For general use:
Opera (default) -Replaced FF 54
Yandex
Firefox (Now testing V57. I hope to move it up soon)
Vivaldi

For security and privacy:
Tor
Epic Privacy
Brave

For developing:
Opera Developer
Firefox Developer

Anyone using an alternative for the one I miss?:
Lynx

Please list yours. Thank You:

Re: Really OT: Besides FF what web browsers do you use?

Big Al-3
On 12/01/2017 04:46 PM, Luis wrote:

> I know all you regular guys in User Groups are somehow knowledgeable
> persons, except some trolls and Remulakians ("coneheads") that every now
> and then post nonsense.  That's why, out of curiosity, I wish to ask you
> what browsers do you use. Here is my list in order of precedence (all up
> to date):
>
> For general use:
> Opera (default) -Replaced FF 54
> Yandex
> Firefox (Now testing V57. I hope to move it up soon)
> Vivaldi
>
> For security and privacy:
> Tor
> Epic Privacy
> Brave
>
> For developing:
> Opera Developer
> Firefox Developer
>
> Anyone using an alternative for the one I miss?:
> Lynx
>
> Please list yours. Thank You:
You forgot to list the one that has the largest user base, or
reportedly, Google Chrome.

Safari is another, I think default on MAC.

Big Al wrote:

> On 12/01/2017 04:46 PM, Luis wrote:
>> I know all you regular guys in User Groups are somehow knowledgeable
>> persons, except some trolls and Remulakians ("coneheads") that every
>> now and then post nonsense.  That's why, out of curiosity, I wish to
>> ask you what browsers do you use. Here is my list in order of
>> precedence (all up to date):
>>
>> For general use:
>> Opera (default) -Replaced FF 54
>> Yandex
>> Firefox (Now testing V57. I hope to move it up soon)
>> Vivaldi
>>
>> For security and privacy:
>> Tor
>> Epic Privacy
>> Brave
>>
>> For developing:
>> Opera Developer
>> Firefox Developer
>>
>> Anyone using an alternative for the one I miss?:
>> Lynx
>>
>> Please list yours. Thank You:
> You forgot to list the one that has the largest user base, or
> reportedly, Google Chrome.
>
> Safari is another, I think default on MAC.

I have listed only those I use. Safari dropped support for the Windows
version, but I use Safari in the iPad and iPhone.
What yours?

On 12/01/2017 05:39 PM, Luis wrote:

> Big Al wrote:
>> On 12/01/2017 04:46 PM, Luis wrote:
>>> I know all you regular guys in User Groups are somehow knowledgeable
>>> persons, except some trolls and Remulakians ("coneheads") that every
>>> now and then post nonsense.  That's why, out of curiosity, I wish to
>>> ask you what browsers do you use. Here is my list in order of
>>> precedence (all up to date):
>>>
>>> For general use:
>>> Opera (default) -Replaced FF 54
>>> Yandex
>>> Firefox (Now testing V57. I hope to move it up soon)
>>> Vivaldi
>>>
>>> For security and privacy:
>>> Tor
>>> Epic Privacy
>>> Brave
>>>
>>> For developing:
>>> Opera Developer
>>> Firefox Developer
>>>
>>> Anyone using an alternative for the one I miss?:
>>> Lynx
>>>
>>> Please list yours. Thank You:
>> You forgot to list the one that has the largest user base, or
>> reportedly, Google Chrome.
>>
>> Safari is another, I think default on MAC.
>>
> I have listed only those I use. Safari dropped support for the Windows
> version, but I use Safari in the iPad and iPhone.
> What yours?
Sorry, thought it was obvious... Chrome.

Re: Really OT: Besides FF what web browsers do you use?

WaltS48-8
On 12/1/17 4:46 PM, Luis wrote:

> I know all you regular guys in User Groups are somehow knowledgeable
> persons, except some trolls and Remulakians ("coneheads") that every now
> and then post nonsense.  That's why, out of curiosity, I wish to ask you
> what browsers do you use. Here is my list in order of precedence (all up
> to date):
>
> For general use:
> Opera (default) -Replaced FF 54
> Yandex
> Firefox (Now testing V57. I hope to move it up soon)
> Vivaldi
>
> For security and privacy:
> Tor
> Epic Privacy
> Brave
>
> For developing:
> Opera Developer
> Firefox Developer
>
> Anyone using an alternative for the one I miss?:
> Lynx
>
> Please list yours. Thank You:

For general, security and privacy use:

Firefox Nightly 59.0a1 (production browser)
Firefox Beta 58.0b8 (for testing)
Firefox 57 (installed to provide support on Linux and Windows)

SeaMonkey 2.49.1 and Chromium are also installed on my Linux desktop.
SeaMonkey to provide support. Chromium, no clue. I think I was going to
do speed tests with it and compare them to the foxes.

SeaMonkey 2.49.1 and Vivaldi on Windows.

--
Less than three months until Valentine's Day
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>

On 12/01/2017 01:46 PM, Luis wrote:

> I know all you regular guys in User Groups are somehow knowledgeable
> persons, except some trolls and Remulakians ("coneheads") that every now
> and then post nonsense.  That's why, out of curiosity, I wish to ask you
> what browsers do you use. Here is my list in order of precedence (all up
> to date):
>
> For general use:
> Opera (default) -Replaced FF 54
> Yandex
> Firefox (Now testing V57. I hope to move it up soon)
> Vivaldi
>
> For security and privacy:
> Tor
> Epic Privacy
> Brave
>
> For developing:
> Opera Developer
> Firefox Developer
>
> Anyone using an alternative for the one I miss?:
> Lynx
>
> Please list yours. Thank You:

1st: Firefox
2nd: Brave
3rd: Midori
4rd: Chromium

Chromium need a lot of work.  It is in the Alpha stage.

A lot of my customer get slammed into Chrome and don't
realize it.  So I will use it, but it grates on me.
Seems very unfinished.  But it may just be me.

I have placed the latest FF beta on several custom's machines.
It has cleared up a lot of issues.

Re: Really OT: Besides FF what web browsers do you use?

Poutnik-2
Dne 02/12/2017 v 01:59 WaltS48 napsal(a):

> For general, security and privacy use:
>
> Firefox Nightly 59.0a1 (production browser)
> Firefox Beta 58.0b8 (for testing)
> Firefox 57 (installed to provide support on Linux and Windows)

Why to use nightlies as production browsers ?

I would use 57 or rather 52 ESR,
betas and nightlies for testing only.

--
Poutnik

Dne 01/12/2017 v 22:46 Luis napsal(a):

> I know all you regular guys in User Groups are somehow knowledgeable
> persons, except some trolls and Remulakians ("coneheads") that every now
> and then post nonsense.  That's why, out of curiosity, I wish to ask you
> what browsers do you use. Here is my list in order of precedence (all up
> to date):
>
> For general use:
> Opera (default) -Replaced FF 54
> Yandex
> Firefox (Now testing V57. I hope to move it up soon)
> Vivaldi
>
> For security and privacy:
> Tor
> Epic Privacy
> Brave
>
> For developing:
> Opera Developer
> Firefox Developer
>
> Anyone using an alternative for the one I miss?:
> Lynx
>
> Please list yours. Thank You:

Hmm, putting aside testing and support cases,
is not better to gain mastery in using 1 or 2 tools
then using many tools with suboptimal experience ?

--
Poutnik

Poutnik wrote:

> Dne 02/12/2017 v 01:59 WaltS48 napsal(a):
>

>> For general, security and privacy use:
>>
>> Firefox Nightly 59.0a1 (production browser)
>> Firefox Beta 58.0b8 (for testing)
>> Firefox 57 (installed to provide support on Linux and Windows)
>
> Why to use nightlies as production browsers ?
>
> I would use 57 or rather 52 ESR,
> betas and nightlies for testing only.

I have used nightly's and Betas for years without any issues.  In fact
even FF's until Mozilla banned old extensions.

WaltS48 wrote:

> On 12/1/17 4:46 PM, Luis wrote:
>> I know all you regular guys in User Groups are somehow knowledgeable
>> persons, except some trolls and Remulakians ("coneheads") that every
>> now and then post nonsense.  That's why, out of curiosity, I wish to
>> ask you what browsers do you use. Here is my list in order of
>> precedence (all up to date):
>>
>> For general use:
>> Opera (default) -Replaced FF 54
>> Yandex
>> Firefox (Now testing V57. I hope to move it up soon)
>> Vivaldi
>>
>> For security and privacy:
>> Tor
>> Epic Privacy
>> Brave
>>
>> For developing:
>> Opera Developer
>> Firefox Developer
>>
>> Anyone using an alternative for the one I miss?:
>> Lynx
>>
>> Please list yours. Thank You:
>
> For general, security and privacy use:
>
> Firefox Nightly 59.0a1 (production browser)
> Firefox Beta 58.0b8 (for testing)
> Firefox 57 (installed to provide support on Linux and Windows)
>
> SeaMonkey 2.49.1 and Chromium are also installed on my Linux desktop.
> SeaMonkey to provide support. Chromium, no clue. I think I was going to
> do speed tests with it and compare them to the foxes.
>
> SeaMonkey 2.49.1 and Vivaldi on Windows.

Ooops I forgot to mention SeaMonkey Nightly 2.53, although I use it
exclusively for Newsgroups.

T wrote:

> On 12/01/2017 01:46 PM, Luis wrote:
>> I know all you regular guys in User Groups are somehow knowledgeable
>> persons, except some trolls and Remulakians ("coneheads") that every
>> now and then post nonsense.  That's why, out of curiosity, I wish to
>> ask you what browsers do you use. Here is my list in order of
>> precedence (all up to date):
>>
>> For general use:
>> Opera (default) -Replaced FF 54
>> Yandex
>> Firefox (Now testing V57. I hope to move it up soon)
>> Vivaldi
>>
>> For security and privacy:
>> Tor
>> Epic Privacy
>> Brave
>>
>> For developing:
>> Opera Developer
>> Firefox Developer
>>
>> Anyone using an alternative for the one I miss?:
>> Lynx
>>
>> Please list yours. Thank You:
>

> 1st: Firefox
> 2nd: Brave
> 3rd: Midori
> 4rd: Chromium
>
> Chromium need a lot of work.  It is in the Alpha stage.
>
> A lot of my customer get slammed into Chrome and don't
> realize it.  So I will use it, but it grates on me.
> Seems very unfinished.  But it may just be me.
>
> I have placed the latest FF beta on several custom's machines.
> It has cleared up a lot of issues.

Midori. Hummm. I never thought of it. I have read somewhere that "Opera
Neon is ranked 9th while Midori is ranked 15th."

Dne 02/12/2017 v 13:01 Luis napsal(a):

> Poutnik wrote:
>> Dne 02/12/2017 v 01:59 WaltS48 napsal(a):
>>

>>> For general, security and privacy use:
>>>
>>> Firefox Nightly 59.0a1 (production browser)
>>> Firefox Beta 58.0b8 (for testing)
>>> Firefox 57 (installed to provide support on Linux and Windows)
>>
>> Why to use nightlies as production browsers ?
>>
>> I would use 57 or rather 52 ESR,
>> betas and nightlies for testing only.
>>
> I have used nightly's and Betas for years without any issues.  In fact
> even FF's until Mozilla banned old extensions.

I prefer stable environment with things known as working well globally
and with new features settled down,
to focus on the web content and not the browser.

For these reasons I use ESR not only in enterprise environment,
but personally as well.

There is a big user noise about FF 57+
and not only because dropped legacy addon support.

FF ESR supports legacy addons until May/June 2018.

Until then
ported addons will be cured from porting children diseases,
so would be webextension environment,
ore its APIs will be implemented
and there will be more alternatives for not ported addons.

--
Poutnik

Poutnik wrote:

> Dne 01/12/2017 v 22:46 Luis napsal(a):
>> I know all you regular guys in User Groups are somehow knowledgeable
>> persons, except some trolls and Remulakians ("coneheads") that every now
>> and then post nonsense.  That's why, out of curiosity, I wish to ask you
>> what browsers do you use. Here is my list in order of precedence (all up
>> to date):
>>
>> For general use:
>> Opera (default) -Replaced FF 54
>> Yandex
>> Firefox (Now testing V57. I hope to move it up soon)
>> Vivaldi
>>
>> For security and privacy:
>> Tor
>> Epic Privacy
>> Brave
>>
>> For developing:
>> Opera Developer
>> Firefox Developer
>>
>> Anyone using an alternative for the one I miss?:
>> Lynx
>>
>> Please list yours. Thank You:
>
> Hmm, putting aside testing and support cases,
> is not better to gain mastery in using 1 or 2 tools
> then using many tools with suboptimal experience ?

Pursuing the ideal one perhaps?
Some time ago I found a site that didn't render well in Vivaldi despite
of the fact that pages were coded correctly. The guys at Vivaldi argued
that I was wrong. Well, recently they fixed the browser and now it is
just fine.

Dne 02/12/2017 v 13:26 Luis napsal(a):
> Poutnik wrote:

>> Hmm, putting aside testing and support cases,
>> is not better to gain mastery in using 1 or 2 tools
>> then using many tools with suboptimal experience ?
>>
> Pursuing the ideal one perhaps?
> Some time ago I found a site that didn't render well in Vivaldi despite
> of the fact that pages were coded correctly. The guys at Vivaldi argued
> that I was wrong. Well, recently they fixed the browser and now it is
> just fine.

No, pursuing user experience.

One cannot know e.g. 12 browsers as well as just 1-2,
the secondary one mainly
if some pages do not work well in the primary browser.

People usually do not use 12 different plain text/coding editors,
but just those they are very familiar with.

--
Poutnik

Poutnik wrote:

> Dne 02/12/2017 v 13:26 Luis napsal(a):
>> Poutnik wrote:
>
>>> Hmm, putting aside testing and support cases,
>>> is not better to gain mastery in using 1 or 2 tools
>>> then using many tools with suboptimal experience ?
>>>
>> Pursuing the ideal one perhaps?
>> Some time ago I found a site that didn't render well in Vivaldi despite
>> of the fact that pages were coded correctly. The guys at Vivaldi argued
>> that I was wrong. Well, recently they fixed the browser and now it is
>> just fine.
>
> No, pursuing user experience.
>
> One cannot know e.g. 12 browsers as well as just 1-2,
> the secondary one mainly
> if some pages do not work well in the primary browser.
>
> People usually do not use 12 different plain text/coding editors,
> but just those they are very familiar with.

Good point, at least regarding text editors. IMHO not regarding browsers.

Dne 02/12/2017 v 13:49 Luis napsal(a):
> Poutnik wrote:

>> No, pursuing user experience.
>>
>> One cannot know e.g. 12 browsers as well as just 1-2,
>> the secondary one mainly
>> if some pages do not work well in the primary browser.
>>
>> People usually do not use 12 different plain text/coding editors,
>> but just those they are very familiar with.
>>
> Good point, at least regarding text editors. IMHO not regarding browsers.

Only if you need each of the browsers
because you cannot effectively do
what you do there in other browsers.

It does not apply to testing and support.

Reaching mastery in using few tools
is better then fiddling with many.
Whatever the tool is.

--
Poutnik

Poutnik wrote:

> Dne 02/12/2017 v 13:49 Luis napsal(a):
>> Poutnik wrote:
>
>>> No, pursuing user experience.
>>>
>>> One cannot know e.g. 12 browsers as well as just 1-2,
>>> the secondary one mainly
>>> if some pages do not work well in the primary browser.
>>>
>>> People usually do not use 12 different plain text/coding editors,
>>> but just those they are very familiar with.
>>>
>> Good point, at least regarding text editors. IMHO not regarding browsers.
>
> Only if you need each of the browsers
> because you cannot effectively do
> what you do there in other browsers.
>
> It does not apply to testing and support.
>
> Reaching mastery in using few tools
> is better then fiddling with many.
> Whatever the tool is.

Poutnik, the idea was not to argue but to tell us what do you use. Will you?

Dne 02/12/2017 v 15:24 Luis napsal(a):
> Poutnik wrote:

> Poutnik, the idea was not to argue but to tell us what do you use. Will
> you?

Sure, I can, but what is it good for ?

Major players are well known already,
minor players can be known by little online research.

Windows 7
Firefox ESR
IE 11 (in case pages do not like FF.)

Linux Red Hat OC 6.x / Mint 17.x
Firefox ESR

Android 4.3/7.1.2
Firefox
Opera Mini
(Chrome)

--
Poutnik

Poutnik wrote:

> Dne 02/12/2017 v 15:24 Luis napsal(a):
>> Poutnik wrote:
>

>> Poutnik, the idea was not to argue but to tell us what do you use. Will
>> you?
>
> Sure, I can, but what is it good for ?
>
> Major players are well known already,
> minor players can be known by little online research.
>
> Windows 7
> Firefox ESR
> IE 11 (in case pages do not like FF.)
>
> Linux Red Hat OC 6.x / Mint 17.x
> Firefox ESR
>
> Android 4.3/7.1.2
> Firefox
> Opera Mini
> (Chrome)

Thank you. I was not aware of Opera Mini for iPhone. I'll give a try.

Dne 02/12/2017 v 16:39 Luis napsal(a):

> Thank you. I was not aware of Opera Mini for iPhone. I'll give a try.

It is very popular on Android, focused on minimal used data.
The drawback is worse website compatibility.

--
Poutnik