Reading Firefox Passwords Without Using Firefox...?

Reading Firefox Passwords Without Using Firefox...?

Martin Rosenfeld-2
Hi,

Is there a way to read Firefox passwords from a Firefox an not in use
profile without putting my everyday profile in harms way? Is there an
app that will read such passwords and let me copy them?

Martin Rosenfeld

Re: Reading Firefox Passwords Without Using Firefox...?

Dave Yeo-3
Martin Rosenfeld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to read Firefox passwords from a Firefox an not in use
> profile without putting my everyday profile in harms way? Is there an
> app that will read such passwords and let me copy them?
>
> Martin Rosenfeld

I don't think there is an app to read the passwords, which are
encrypted. If you're worried about your profile, back it up first,
perhaps by zipping it and then after closing Firefox, you can delete and
restore (make sure your backup is good first).
If this is a different profile from your usual, use the profile manager
to change profiles, copy your passwords, the use the profile manager to
switch back. Firefox.exe -help will leave a console window with
instructions for changing profiles, starting with the profile manager etc.
Dave

Re: Reading Firefox Passwords Without Using Firefox...?

Steve Wendt
On 07/11/2016 10:07 AM, Martin Rosenfeld wrote:

> Is there a way to read Firefox passwords from a Firefox an not in use
> profile without putting my everyday profile in harms way? Is there an
> app that will read such passwords and let me copy them?

Does this help?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/password-exporter/

Otherwise, there are Windoze tools (no personal experience, sorry):
https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-find-hidden-passwords-in-firefox/

Re: Reading Firefox Passwords Without Using Firefox...?

Steven Levine-3
On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 17:07:37 UTC, Martin Rosenfeld
<[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Martin,

> Is there a way to read Firefox passwords from a Firefox an not in use
> profile without putting my everyday profile in harms way? Is there an
> app that will read such passwords and let me copy them?

If you really want to leave your working file unsullied, you can
create a test profile a copy logins.json and key3.db the test profile.

FWIW, if you are working on profile problems, you can even copy the
profile to a new subtree and add the tree name to
Home\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini.

Steven