Read All About It! Firefox Quantum is coming!

Read All About It! Firefox Quantum is coming!

WaltS48-5
It's in the news, blog posts and available now as 57.0 Beta. ☺

<https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/firefox-takes-a-quantum-leap-forward-with-new-developer-edition/>

<https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/09/26/firefox-quantum-beta-developer-edition/>

Signup to learn more.

<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/quantum/>

or download Firefox Quantum in your language and test it out with a
separate profile.

<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/beta/all/>

<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/developer/>

--
Go Bucs, Pitt, Steelers and Pens!
(Space for rent)

Re: Read All About It! Firefox Quantum is coming!

Annailis-2
On 2017-09-27 10:10 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

> It's in the news, blog posts and available now as 57.0 Beta. ☺
>
> <https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/firefox-takes-a-quantum-leap-forward-with-new-developer-edition/>
>

> <https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/09/26/firefox-quantum-beta-developer-edition/>
>

> Signup to learn more.
>
> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/quantum/>
>
> or download Firefox Quantum in your language and test it out with a
> separate profile.
>
> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/beta/all/>
>
> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/developer/>

Using the beta as of yesterday when I let 46 Beta update.  If I could
survive Australis, I can survive this - would be better if Theme and
Font Size Changer was compatible!

AW

Re: Read All About It! Firefox Quantum is coming!

Lucifer Morningstar
On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 10:10:38 -0400, WaltS48 <[hidden email]>
wrote:

Wouldn't it be better to fix the real one first?
So many updates. So many bugs still.

On 9/28/17 12:32 AM, Lucifer Morningstar wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 10:10:38 -0400, WaltS48 <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> It's in the news, blog posts and available now as 57.0 Beta. ?
>>
>> <https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/firefox-takes-a-quantum-leap-forward-with-new-developer-edition/>
>>
>> <https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/09/26/firefox-quantum-beta-developer-edition/>
>>
>> Signup to learn more.
>>
>> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/quantum/>
>>
>> or download Firefox Quantum in your language and test it out with a
>> separate profile.
>>
>> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/beta/all/>
>>
>> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/developer/>
>
> Wouldn't it be better to fix the real one first?
> So many updates. So many bugs still.

This will be the real one when it launches November 14, 2017.

There will always be bugs. 😞

--
Go Bucs, Pitt, Steelers and Pens!
(Space for rent)
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
National Popular Vote <http://www.nationalpopularvote.com

Re: Read All About It! Firefox Quantum is coming!

Luis
WaltS48 wrote:

> On 9/28/17 12:32 AM, Lucifer Morningstar wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 10:10:38 -0400, WaltS48 <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> It's in the news, blog posts and available now as 57.0 Beta. ?
>>>
>>> <https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/firefox-takes-a-quantum-leap-forward-with-new-developer-edition/>
>>>

>>> <https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/09/26/firefox-quantum-beta-developer-edition/>
>>>

>>> Signup to learn more.
>>>
>>> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/quantum/>
>>>
>>> or download Firefox Quantum in your language and test it out with a
>>> separate profile.
>>>
>>> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/beta/all/>
>>>
>>> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/developer/>
>>
>> Wouldn't it be better to fix the real one first?
>> So many updates. So many bugs still.
>>

> This will be the real one when it launches November 14, 2017.
>
> There will always be bugs. 😞

Bugs and no extensions :(

Re: Read All About It! Firefox Quantum is coming!

Mark12547
In article <[hidden email]>,
[hidden email] says...
> > This will be the real one when it launches November 14, 2017.
> >
> > There will always be bugs. ?
> >
> Bugs and no extensions :(

I am doing well with these "no extensions":

* uBlock Origin
* IPvFoo
* Hostname in title
* Google(tm) Translator
* Bookmarks Organizer
* Country Flag +
* small-clock
* Tab Center Redux

All of these are WebExtensions and installed in Nightly 58.

Of all of these, the one I consider absolutely essential is some sort of
ad blocker, and I am currently using uBlock Origin for that, though for
those who prefer AdBlock Plus, there is a WebExtensions version of that
available in the AMO Beta channel

Re: Read All About It! Firefox Quantum is coming!

PietB-2
Mark12547 wrote:
> I am doing well with these "no extensions":

Your taste, your choice.

-p

Re: Read All About It! Firefox Quantum is coming!

Hartdonor
On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 16:46:08 -0700, in mozilla.general, Mark12547 wrote:

>In article <[hidden email]>,
>[hidden email] says...
>> > This will be the real one when it launches November 14, 2017.
>> >
>> > There will always be bugs. ?
>> >
>> Bugs and no extensions :(
>>

>I am doing well with these "no extensions":
>
>* uBlock Origin
>* IPvFoo
>* Hostname in title
>* Google(tm) Translator
>* Bookmarks Organizer
>* Country Flag +
>* small-clock
>* Tab Center Redux
>
>All of these are WebExtensions and installed in Nightly 58.
>
>Of all of these, the one I consider absolutely essential is some sort of
>ad blocker, and I am currently using uBlock Origin for that, though for
>those who prefer AdBlock Plus, there is a WebExtensions version of that
>available in the AMO Beta channel

Ghostery has a Webextensions version now too.

--
Give all you can, don't give more than you can.

Mark12547 wrote:

> In article <[hidden email]>,
> [hidden email] says...
>>> This will be the real one when it launches November 14, 2017.
>>>
>>> There will always be bugs. ?
>>>
>> Bugs and no extensions :(
>>

> I am doing well with these "no extensions":
>
> * uBlock Origin
> * IPvFoo
> * Hostname in title
> * Google(tm) Translator
> * Bookmarks Organizer
> * Country Flag +
> * small-clock
> * Tab Center Redux
>
> All of these are WebExtensions and installed in Nightly 58.
>
> Of all of these, the one I consider absolutely essential is some sort of
> ad blocker, and I am currently using uBlock Origin for that, though for
> those who prefer AdBlock Plus, there is a WebExtensions version of that
> available in the AMO Beta channel

Let us know when the following are available:

Screenshot editor
Print editor
Passwords editor
Passwords exporter
Exif viewer
Javascript on/off
Enhancer for YouTube

Thanks

Re: Read All About It! Firefox Quantum is coming!

🐴 Mr. Ed 🐴
On 9/29/17 8:24 AM, Luis wrote:
Mark12547 wrote:
In article [hidden email],
[hidden email] says...
[...]

Yes, extensions that are actually worth having.  💪

--
"This is America!  You can't make a horse
 testify against himself!"      Mister Ed

<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=Screenshot+editor>

<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=Print+editor>

> Passwords editor

Built-in Feature.

> Passwords exporter

Can't find anything here?

<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=Password+exporter>

<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/exif-viewer/>

<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/javascript-toggler/>

> Enhancer for YouTube

Notice the Search Bar in each page? I'll let you look for this one.

Hint#1: It exists.

Hint#2: The search engine can be added to Firefox and the user doesn't
even have to go to the addons.mozilla.org site to search for extensions
or themes.

Hint#3: They all should work in 55 and 56, possibly all the way back to
48 is what I hear, but can't confirm.

> Thanks

No problem it is a slow day.

--
Go Bucs, Pitt, Steelers and Pens!
How many stand up at home for an anthem?

On 9/29/17 10:50 AM, Mr. Ed wrote:

> On 9/29/17 8:24 AM, Luis wrote:
>> Mark12547 wrote:
>>> In article <[hidden email]>,
>>> [hidden email] says...

>>> I am doing well with these "no extensions":
>>>
>>> * uBlock Origin
>>> * IPvFoo
>>> * Hostname in title
>>> * Google(tm) Translator
>>> * Bookmarks Organizer
>>> * Country Flag +
>>> * small-clock
>>> * Tab Center Redux
>>>
>>> All of these are WebExtensions and installed in Nightly 58.
>>>
>>> Of all of these, the one I consider absolutely essential is some sort of
>>> ad blocker, and I am currently using uBlock Origin for that, though for
>>> those who prefer AdBlock Plus, there is a WebExtensions version of that
>>> available in the AMO Beta channel
>>>

>> Let us know when the following are available:
>>
>> Screenshot editor
>> Print editor
>> Passwords editor
>> Passwords exporter
>> Exif viewer
>> Javascript on/off
>> Enhancer for YouTube
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Yes, extensions that are actually worth having. 💪

Have you tried searching or just jumping on the bandwagon.

See my reply to Luis.

On 9/29/17 10:55 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 9/29/17 10:50 AM, Mr. Ed wrote:

>>> Let us know when the following are available:
>>>
>>> Screenshot editor
>>> Print editor
>>> Passwords editor
>>> Passwords exporter
>>> Exif viewer
>>> Javascript on/off
>>> Enhancer for YouTube
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> Yes, extensions that are actually worth having. 💪
>>

> Have you tried searching or just jumping on the bandwagon.
>
> See my reply to Luis.

Thought we were talking about "extensions" embedded in the release, not added on
by the user.

WaltS48 wrote:

> On 9/29/17 8:24 AM, Luis wrote:
>> Mark12547 wrote:
>>> In article <[hidden email]>,
>>> [hidden email] says...

>>> I am doing well with these "no extensions":
>>>
>>> * uBlock Origin
>>> * IPvFoo
>>> * Hostname in title
>>> * Google(tm) Translator
>>> * Bookmarks Organizer
>>> * Country Flag +
>>> * small-clock
>>> * Tab Center Redux
>>>
>>> All of these are WebExtensions and installed in Nightly 58.
>>>
>>> Of all of these, the one I consider absolutely essential is some sort of
>>> ad blocker, and I am currently using uBlock Origin for that, though for
>>> those who prefer AdBlock Plus, there is a WebExtensions version of that
>>> available in the AMO Beta channel
>>>

>> Let us know when the following are available:
>>
>> Screenshot editor
>
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=Screenshot+editor>
>
>> Print editor
>
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=Print+editor>
>
>> Passwords editor
>
> Built-in Feature.
>
>> Passwords exporter
>
> Can't find anything here?
>
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=Password+exporter>
>
>> Exif viewer
>
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/exif-viewer/>
>
>> Javascript on/off
>
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/javascript-toggler/>
>
>> Enhancer for YouTube
>
> Notice the Search Bar in each page? I'll let you look for this one.
>
> Hint#1: It exists.
>
> Hint#2: The search engine can be added to Firefox and the user doesn't
> even have to go to the addons.mozilla.org site to search for extensions
> or themes.
>
> Hint#3: They all should work in 55 and 56, possibly all the way back to
> 48 is what I hear, but can't confirm.
>

>> Thanks
>>

> No problem it is a slow day.

Walt,
At this moment I don't have time to test all the extensions you mention
but I did test Print Editor and Screen Shot.  The first one is not bad.
The second one has bugs and it is not what I was referred to.
Any way, thanks for the list and please keep informing us on new
compatible extensions. The very moment I get all the extensions I need
and the new FF is debugged I'll be glad to reinstall it as my default
browser.  In the mean time Opera rules.
Cheers

Re: Read All About It! Firefox Quantum is coming!

NFN Smith
Luis wrote:
> Any way, thanks for the list and please keep informing us on new
> compatible extensions. The very moment I get all the extensions I need
> and the new FF is debugged I'll be glad to reinstall it as my default
> browser.  In the mean time Opera rules.

Although Walt's announcements are useful, there's far too many
extensions to track.

If there's a particular extension that you want to see, the best thing
to do is to check the extension's page at AMO.  Some extension writers
have explicitly noted that they won't move to WebExtension, some haven't
said anything, one way or another.

I know that with NoScript, in the user comments section at AMO with
multiple pleas by users requesting support through WebExtension, but no
apparent response, yay or nay. However following the link to the
developer's page, there are notes there that NoScript is under
development, and will eventually have a version in WebExtension.

To me, NoScript is one of my highest priorities, but in terms of
following the development path, it's unreasonable to expect Walt or
anybody else to report development status. If one is important to you,
you need to be willing to take the time to do the research.  If you're
unwilling to do that, then your options seem to be:

- Hope that an extension will still be available when FF updates to v
57, and accept the probability that it won't (or may not be available
immediately).

- Don't allow FF to upgrade to 57.

- Downgrade to the current 52.x ESR release, and buy yourself some
additional time, to continue to run legacy extensions.

Smith

Re: Read All About It! Firefox Quantum is coming!

The Real Bev
Does 'Quantum' = 'FF57'?

Are we going to stuck with cutesy Android-like names rather than numbers
from now on?  I'll open a vein in a warm bathtub before I call it
'Marshmallow'.

--
Cheers, Bev
    "I would be most content if my children grew up to be the

OT Re: Read All About It! Firefox Quantum is coming!

Daniel
On 30/09/2017 6:37 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
> Does 'Quantum' = 'FF57'?
>
> Are we going to stuck with cutesy Android-like names rather than numbers
> from now on?  I'll open a vein in a warm bathtub before I call it
> 'Marshmallow'.

Gee! I didn't know bathtubs, warm or otherwise, had veins!!

Oh!! I see now! ;-P

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:51.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.48 Build identifier: 20170329183526

Go Dallas Cowgirls!! .... Err!! ... Um!! .. I mean *Go Dallas Cowboys* !!

Re: Read All About It! Firefox Quantum is coming!

Mark12547
In article <[hidden email]>, bashley101
+[hidden email] says...
> Does 'Quantum' = 'FF57'?

Quantum is a collection of the Mozilla projects to make Firefox faster,
some of the code landing in 57, but there will be additional parts of
Quantum landing in later versions.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Quantum

The first major part of Quantum landing is Quantum CSS, a.k.a., Stylo.
But other performance improvements are also landing in 57.

I think the Marketing side of Mozilla decided to use Quantum as an
advertising point. (Not to be confused with "quantum dots".) We will
probably be seeing "Quantum" plastered on the screens for a few releases
until Marketing gets tired of it. :)