Quantcast

Re: who can I talk to?

Jeremie Patonnier
Hi Micah

I'm as confused as you are. As far as I know, SVG has absolutely no hinting
capabilities and I'm not aware of any plan about this within the upcoming
SVG 2 standard.

I'm CC'ing Cameron McCormack (SVG Co-Chair) and Edwin Flores (Who implement
SVG in OpenType in FF) as well as the Mozilla SVG ML. Those people are the
best to help us figure this out.

Best,
Jérémie

2013/10/9 John Karahalis <[hidden email]>

> Micah, Jeremie Patonnier (copied here) is our resident SVG expert and head
> of our SVG documentation.
>
> Jeremie, Micah does some amazing work on fonts at Monotype--you have
> probably seen his work without even knowing it! Do you know what Adobe
> meant when it said "SVG also has a powerful equivalent to hinting"?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> John Karahalis
> Mozilla
> openjck.com
>
> ------------------------------

Jeremie
Web : http://jeremie.patonnier.net
Twitter : @JeremiePat <http://twitter.com/JeremiePat>

Re: who can I talk to?

Cameron McCormack-4
Hi all,

Jeremie Patonnier wrote:
> I'm as confused as you are. As far as I know, SVG has absolutely no
> hinting capabilities and I'm not aware of any plan about this within the
> upcoming SVG 2 standard.
>
> I'm CC'ing Cameron McCormack (SVG Co-Chair) and Edwin Flores (Who
> implement SVG in OpenType in FF) as well as the Mozilla SVG ML. Those
> people are the best to help us figure this out.

Jérémie is correct; SVG does not have any hinting capabilities, and we
don't have any current plans within the Working Group to add such
functionality to SVG itself, although there have been some requests for
this.

Regarding the SVG-in-OpenType proposal, we decided that with increasing
display resolutions causing hinting to become less relevant, and given
the uses cases for SVG-in-OpenType tending more towards logos and
display text rather than body text, that we would not add a way to map
OpenType hinting to <path>s within the SVG glyph definitions.

There has been a proposal (which I need to write up) to allow SVG
documents to adapt to the zoom level that they are rendered at, via a
media query.  This was intended to be used for level-of-detail control,
but it could allow simplistic switching of paths used in glyphs rendered
at different resolutions.  Still, this is not something supported by the
language today.

Re: who can I talk to?

Chris Lilley
Hello Jeremie,

Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 10:07:28 AM, you wrote:

> Hi Micah

> I'm as confused as you are. As far as I know, SVG has absolutely no hinting
> capabilities and I'm not aware of any plan about this within the upcoming
> SVG 2 standard.

Having spoken with Sairus (who wrote that blog entry), I suspect that
he is referring to multiple graphical representations of the same
glyph, chosen using Media Queries.

Its not really accurate to call this hinting, but I suppose he calls
it an 'alternative to hinting' which is less incorrect.

> I'm CC'ing Cameron McCormack (SVG Co-Chair) and Edwin Flores (Who implement
> SVG in OpenType in FF) as well as the Mozilla SVG ML. Those people are the
> best to help us figure this out.

Or I will be seeing Sairus tomorrow afternoon and could ask him.

--
Best regards,
 Chris                            mailto:[hidden email]