Re: top of SeaMonkey browser screen

Paul B. Gallagher
Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 11.07.2011 15:08, NoOp wrote:

My view settings work perfectly for that case:

Sort By  | Order Received, Ascending, Threaded
Messages | All
Threads  | Threads with Unread

If I don't see enough in the message I'm reading, the rest of the thread
is there with it (marked as read or unread as the case may be). A couple
of clicks or "B"s and I'm there.

Threads with no unread messages, of course, don't clutter up the list.

Overpruning is possible, of course, but as long as we include the
relevant part of the previous message, it's pretty easy to follow.

BTW, CTRL-End, with the cursor in the list, takes you to the last
message, not the bottom of the current message. You have to first click
in the message before CTRL-End takes you to the end of that message.

Paul B. Gallagher

Re: top of SeaMonkey browser screen

Jay Garcia
On 11.07.2011 16:14, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

>>> Pleease trim your posts. You guys went from 29 lines to 41, 69, 81, 99,
>>> 107, 122 and 131.
>>
>> What happens to a reader returning to the thread (marked as read) and
>> wants to catch up by reading the last post and scrolling up? Snipping
>> has its merits, agreed, but so does non-snipping. If you don't want to
>> be inconvenienced by an entire post then just ctrl+end to get to the
>> bottom OR page down to read interspersed replies. YMMV
>
> My view settings work perfectly for that case:
>
> Sort By  | Order Received, Ascending, Threaded
> Messages | All
> Threads  | Threads with Unread
>
> If I don't see enough in the message I'm reading, the rest of the thread
> is there with it (marked as read or unread as the case may be). A couple
> of clicks or "B"s and I'm there.
>
> Threads with no unread messages, of course, don't clutter up the list.
>
> Overpruning is possible, of course, but as long as we include the
> relevant part of the previous message, it's pretty easy to follow.
>
> BTW, CTRL-End, with the cursor in the list, takes you to the last
> message, not the bottom of the current message. You have to first click
> in the message before CTRL-End takes you to the end of that message.

That's not the point. All sorts of preferences prevail but if the last
reply is trimmed to the point that just a part of the last reply is the
only message available to the returning reader, then and only then do
other preferences (not default) come into play. But we must assume that
returning readers/users only or opted for default.

Remember what I said, the reader/user has marked ALL messages a READ
prior to returning.

This is why we get into a lot of heated discussions because we are
proponents of not trimming support threads. We do so ONLY because of the
wishes of the group traditions and etiquette guidelines, not because
it's the "right thing to do".

--
*Jay Garcia - Netscape Champion*
www.ufaq.org

Re: top of SeaMonkey browser screen

NoOp-5
On 07/11/2011 03:24 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 11.07.2011 16:14, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

Not trimmed on purpose.

http://www.mozilla.org/about/forums/etiquette.html
<quote>
Trim your follow-ups.

    Do not quote the entire content of the message to which you are
replying. Include only as much as is necessary for context. Remember
that if someone wants to read the original message, they can; it is
easily accessible. A good rule of thumb is, don't include more quoted
text than new text.

    There is always a need for some trimming - either a salutation, a
signature, some blank lines or whatever. If you are doing no trimming
whatsoever of the quoted text, then you aren't trimming enough.
</quote.

You were asked nicely to please trim your threads. The above etiquette
link also asks "Please respect these rules, and each other." If for some
reason you think you are immune to the above, then I'll forgo politely
asking next time & instead simply use my filter options.

On 11.07.2011 18:26, NoOp wrote:

> On 07/11/2011 03:24 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 11.07.2011 16:14, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

I always trim my replies when it's necessary, sometimes I forget when
I'm in a hurry trying to answer/reply to the thousands of posts I field
monthly. Sometimes I don't when I feel that it is detrimental to the
subject and ensuing discussion to do so.

So, if you see one of my un-trimmed replies it's for one of the reasons
stated above but NEVER do I not trim to disrespect the guidelines.

On 07/11/2011 04:57 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:
> On 11.07.2011 18:26, NoOp wrote:

>> http://www.mozilla.org/about/forums/etiquette.html
>> <quote>
>> Trim your follow-ups.
>>
>>     Do not quote the entire content of the message to which you are
>> replying. Include only as much as is necessary for context. Remember
>> that if someone wants to read the original message, they can; it is
>> easily accessible. A good rule of thumb is, don't include more quoted
>> text than new text.
>>
>>     There is always a need for some trimming - either a salutation, a
>> signature, some blank lines or whatever. If you are doing no trimming
>> whatsoever of the quoted text, then you aren't trimming enough.
>> </quote.
>>
>> You were asked nicely to please trim your threads. The above etiquette
>> link also asks "Please respect these rules, and each other." If for some
>> reason you think you are immune to the above, then I'll forgo politely
>> asking next time & instead simply use my filter options.
>>

> I always trim my replies when it's necessary, sometimes I forget when
> I'm in a hurry trying to answer/reply to the thousands of posts I field
> monthly. Sometimes I don't when I feel that it is detrimental to the
> subject and ensuing discussion to do so.
>
> So, if you see one of my un-trimmed replies it's for one of the reasons
> stated above but NEVER do I not trim to disrespect the guidelines.

Right... I'll invoke "Let sleeping dogs lie." Bye now.

Re: top of SeaMonkey browser screen

Terry R.-3
On 7/11/2011 4:26 PM On a whim, NoOp pounded out on the keyboard

> You were asked nicely to please trim your threads. The above etiquette
> link also asks "Please respect these rules, and each other." If for some
> reason you think you are immune to the above, then I'll forgo politely
> asking next time&  instead simply use my filter options.

And yet it was okay for you to not trim, regardless if you were
attempting to make a point, even though the post can be easily seen if
you hadn't.

Let's see, I've seen posters being uncivil, off-topic, unkind to
newcomers, beating an issue to death, crossposting, bashing of all
kinds, top/bottom posting and debates, HTML posting, users posting bug
issues, and poor identifying of subject matter.  ALL of which are
breaking the "guidelines".  And you choose to chastise one of the
longest support givers in these groups for not trimming.

Lighten up, and don't EVER make a mistake, because we're all watching...

Terry R.

Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 11.07.2011 16:14, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

If the reader/user chooses to hide all relevant messages (those in the
same thread), it's no one else's fault that he can't see them. But I
assume a certain basic level of intelligence until I have reason to do
otherwise, so I assume he has the rest of the thread available if he
chooses to look.

> This is why we get into a lot of heated discussions because we...

"We," kemosabe? Dunno who you mean.

> ... are proponents of not trimming support threads. We do so ONLY
> because of the wishes of the group traditions and etiquette
> guidelines, not because it's the "right thing to do".

There are surely a variety of "right things to do" in a variety of
contexts, but I always begin with the assumption that the etiquette
guideline is the default, and any divergence from that default must be
for a good reason. So I pruned this message, but not so brutally as to
make it incomprehensible. I think I acted reasonably and courteously.

Paul B. Gallagher

On 11.07.2011 19:12, Terry R. wrote:

> On 7/11/2011 4:26 PM On a whim, NoOp pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> You were asked nicely to please trim your threads. The above etiquette
>> link also asks "Please respect these rules, and each other." If for some
>> reason you think you are immune to the above, then I'll forgo politely
>> asking next time&  instead simply use my filter options.
>>

> And yet it was okay for you to not trim, regardless if you were
> attempting to make a point, even though the post can be easily seen if
> you hadn't.
>
> Let's see, I've seen posters being uncivil, off-topic, unkind to
> newcomers, beating an issue to death, crossposting, bashing of all
> kinds, top/bottom posting and debates, HTML posting, users posting bug
> issues, and poor identifying of subject matter.  ALL of which are
> breaking the "guidelines".  And you choose to chastise one of the
> longest support givers in these groups for not trimming.
>
> Lighten up, and don't EVER make a mistake, because we're all watching...
>

> Terry R.

He ended the discussion above on a civil note which I thought was pretty
nice unlike some here do whenever the occasion arises which is quite often.

With that in mind, we move on. :-)

--
*Jay Garcia - Netscape Champion*
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird

Re: top of SeaMonkey browser screen

Terry R.-3
On 7/11/2011 8:19 PM On a whim, Jay Garcia pounded out on the keyboard

> On 11.07.2011 19:12, Terry R. wrote:

Kind of like the student slapping the hand of the teacher though...

Terry R.

On 07/12/2011 10:59 AM, Terry R. wrote:
> On 7/11/2011 8:19 PM On a whim, Jay Garcia pounded out on the keyboard

>> He ended the discussion above on a civil note which I thought was pretty
>> nice unlike some here do whenever the occasion arises which is quite often.
>>
>> With that in mind, we move on. :-)
>>

> Kind of like the student slapping the hand of the teacher though...
>

> Terry R.

I see. I started using Mosaic when it first came out, actually purchased
Netscape + support license when it first came out, and have been using
SeaMonkey since it first came out. I've installed SeaMonkey on hundreds
of customers machines & maintained them from the earliest versions to
the most recent. I also typically attempt to test pre-released SeaMonkey
versions on both linux & Windows & and have participated in these
newsgroups for many years. So I reckon that I'm quite familiar with Jay,
and http://www.mozilla.org/about/forums/etiquette.html.

Re: top of SeaMonkey browser screen

Terry R.-3
On 7/13/2011 1:51 PM On a whim, NoOp pounded out on the keyboard

> On 07/12/2011 10:59 AM, Terry R. wrote:
>> On 7/11/2011 8:19 PM On a whim, Jay Garcia pounded out on the keyboard
>>> He ended the discussion above on a civil note which I thought was pretty
>>> nice unlike some here do whenever the occasion arises which is quite often.
>>>
>>> With that in mind, we move on. :-)
>>>

>> Kind of like the student slapping the hand of the teacher though...
>>

>> Terry R.
>
> I see. I started using Mosaic when it first came out, actually purchased
> Netscape + support license when it first came out, and have been using
> SeaMonkey since it first came out. I've installed SeaMonkey on hundreds
> of customers machines&  maintained them from the earliest versions to
> the most recent. I also typically attempt to test pre-released SeaMonkey
> versions on both linux&  Windows&  and have participated in these
> newsgroups for many years. So I reckon that I'm quite familiar with Jay,
> and http://www.mozilla.org/about/forums/etiquette.html.

A lot of us supporters here were on Netscape groups before this server
came to be, and were offering FF & TB/SM support back then.  Jay being
one of them, and an admin on the Netscape groups.

Don't really know what point you were trying to make.

Terry R.

On 13.07.2011 17:32, Terry R. wrote:

> On 7/13/2011 1:51 PM On a whim, NoOp pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> On 07/12/2011 10:59 AM, Terry R. wrote:
>>> On 7/11/2011 8:19 PM On a whim, Jay Garcia pounded out on the keyboard

>>> Kind of like the student slapping the hand of the teacher though...
>>>

>>> Terry R.
>>
>> I see. I started using Mosaic when it first came out, actually purchased
>> Netscape + support license when it first came out, and have been using
>> SeaMonkey since it first came out. I've installed SeaMonkey on hundreds
>> of customers machines&  maintained them from the earliest versions to
>> the most recent. I also typically attempt to test pre-released SeaMonkey
>> versions on both linux&  Windows&  and have participated in these
>> newsgroups for many years. So I reckon that I'm quite familiar with Jay,
>> and http://www.mozilla.org/about/forums/etiquette.html.
>>

> A lot of us supporters here were on Netscape groups before this server
> came to be, and were offering FF & TB/SM support back then.  Jay being
> one of them, and an admin on the Netscape groups.
>
> Don't really know what point you were trying to make.
>

> Terry R.

I think he's trying to convince us that he's an old fart like the rest
of us. :-D

Heck, I started with Lynx and VAX/VMS.

On 07/13/2011 04:43 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 13.07.2011 17:32, Terry R. wrote:

Yes. I started 8008's & advanced to microcoding Varian V series. My
point was that Terry R seemed to have thought that I was new on the
block. Anyway 'nuff said; I made my point & you did as well. I'm back to
SM support.

Re: top of SeaMonkey browser screen

Terry R.-3
On 7/13/2011 7:33 PM On a whim, NoOp pounded out on the keyboard

> On 07/13/2011 04:43 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 13.07.2011 17:32, Terry R. wrote:

In regards to you publicly telling one of the oldest supporters here how
they should be posting, yes.  If you had an issue, you should have taken
it to email instead.

Terry R.

On 14.07.2011 08:53, Terry R. wrote:

> On 7/13/2011 7:33 PM On a whim, NoOp pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> On 07/13/2011 04:43 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>>> On 13.07.2011 17:32, Terry R. wrote:

AFAICT this exchange from the beginning wasn't/isn't about one's areas
of expertise as regards how long we have been active in using computers
and what platforms, etc. but rather one's particular posting habit(s).
He indicated I made my point, apparently I didn't .. but that's ok, we
move on.

Oh, and btw, when Adam dropped his "Apple" I was the one that reparied
it .. so there! ;-)

--
*Jay Garcia - Netscape Champion*
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird

Re: top of SeaMonkey browser screen

Terry R.-3
On 7/14/2011 7:26 AM On a whim, Jay Garcia pounded out on the keyboard

> AFAICT this exchange from the beginning wasn't/isn't about one's areas
> of expertise as regards how long we have been active in using computers
> and what platforms, etc. but rather one's particular posting habit(s).
> He indicated I made my point, apparently I didn't .. but that's ok, we
> move on.
>
> Oh, and btw, when Adam dropped his "Apple" I was the one that reparied
> it .. so there! ;-)

And they were a lot less expensive back then!

Terry R.

On 15.07.2011 10:39, Terry R. wrote:

> On 7/14/2011 7:26 AM On a whim, Jay Garcia pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> AFAICT this exchange from the beginning wasn't/isn't about one's areas
>> of expertise as regards how long we have been active in using computers
>> and what platforms, etc. but rather one's particular posting habit(s).
>> He indicated I made my point, apparently I didn't .. but that's ok, we
>> move on.
>>
>> Oh, and btw, when Adam dropped his "Apple" I was the one that repaired
>> it .. so there! ;-)
>>

> And they were a lot less expensive back then!
>

> Terry R.

Yah, I accepted a snake skin in exchange.