Re: testing -- youtube hippo for Christmas

Re: testing -- youtube hippo for Christmas

Ken Whiton
*-* On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 09:15:05 -0800,
*-* In Article [hidden email],
*-* Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote
*-* About Re: testing -- youtube hippo for Christmas

> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>> the script I used for this was:

>> <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LKLZxv6wA78&amp;rel=1"
>>   type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="355" width="425"></iframe>

> did you see this?

      No.  As with the mp3 in the previous post, it opened a dialog box
telling me what I was opening and asking what action TB should take,
with the default action being "open".  When I clicked "OK", it opened
another tab (blank) in FF, displaying the URL
file:///C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/l.swf
Checking the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP directory, I find a 715-byte file of that
name, which I suspect is the result of a failed attempt to download
the linked YouTube video.

      Between clicking "OK" and the opening of the FF tab, a message
(error ?) was displayed, but too briefly to see what type of message
it was, or to read it.

      Clicking on the link in the script did download the video, and
open and play it in FF, but, as I described above, it didn't work by
just opening the post in TB.

      [As you can see, moved from m.test to m.general]

                                         Ken Whiton

     FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: [hidden email] (remove the obvious to reply)

Ken Whiton wrote:

> *-* On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 09:15:05 -0800,
> *-* In Article [hidden email],
> *-* Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote
> *-* About Re: testing -- youtube hippo for Christmas

>>> the script I used for this was:
>
>>> <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LKLZxv6wA78&amp;rel=1"
>>>   type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="355" width="425"></iframe>
>
>> did you see this?
>
>       No.  As with the mp3 in the previous post, it opened a dialog box
> telling me what I was opening and asking what action TB should take,
> with the default action being "open".  When I clicked "OK", it opened
> another tab (blank) in FF, displaying the URL
> file:///C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/l.swf
> Checking the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP directory, I find a 715-byte file of that
> name, which I suspect is the result of a failed attempt to download
> the linked YouTube video.
>
>       Between clicking "OK" and the opening of the FF tab, a message
> (error ?) was displayed, but too briefly to see what type of message
> it was, or to read it.
>
>       Clicking on the link in the script did download the video, and
> open and play it in FF, but, as I described above, it didn't work by
> just opening the post in TB.
>
>       [As you can see, moved from m.test to m.general]
>
>                                          Ken Whiton
>
>      FIDO: 1:132/152
> InterNet: [hidden email] (remove the obvious to reply)

this is a flash file, so you need the flash plugins placed
within the TB plugin directory.

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: testing -- youtube hippo for Christmas

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> Ken Whiton wrote:
>> *-* On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 09:15:05 -0800,
>> *-* In Article [hidden email],
>> *-* Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote
>> *-* About Re: testing -- youtube hippo for Christmas

>>> did you see this?
>>       No.  As with the mp3 in the previous post, it opened a dialog box
>> telling me what I was opening and asking what action TB should take,
>> with the default action being "open".  When I clicked "OK", it opened
>> another tab (blank) in FF, displaying the URL
>> file:///C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/l.swf
>> Checking the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP directory, I find a 715-byte file of that
>> name, which I suspect is the result of a failed attempt to download
>> the linked YouTube video.
>>
>>       Between clicking "OK" and the opening of the FF tab, a message
>> (error ?) was displayed, but too briefly to see what type of message
>> it was, or to read it.
>>
>>       Clicking on the link in the script did download the video, and
>> open and play it in FF, but, as I described above, it didn't work by
>> just opening the post in TB.
>>
>>       [As you can see, moved from m.test to m.general]
>>
>>                                          Ken Whiton
>>
>>      FIDO: 1:132/152
>> InterNet: [hidden email] (remove the obvious to reply)
>
> this is a flash file, so you need the flash plugins placed
> within the TB plugin directory.

if we were under the old newsgroup system, I'd tell you to
go to the MTMM group, but now, I'm confused.  Do I send you
to MTMM group and have them tell you wants wrong? Or do I
send you to the mozilla.support.seamonkey or
mozilla.support.thunderbird newsgroup? Or do we wait until
this new group shows up and I send you there?

Under the old system, I would have posted the test message
in the MTMM group and you could ask there, and someone would
have replied, but now I'm lost.  Sorry, I really can't help
you cause I'm baffled by all this confusion crap.

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: testing -- youtube hippo for Christmas

Chris Ilias-2
On 12/9/07 4:34 AM, _Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo_ spoke thusly:

> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Ken Whiton wrote:
>>> *-* On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 09:15:05 -0800,
>>> *-* In Article [hidden email],
>>> *-* Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote
>>> *-* About Re: testing -- youtube hippo for Christmas

>>>       No.  As with the mp3 in the previous post, it opened a dialog box
>>> telling me what I was opening and asking what action TB should take,
>>> with the default action being "open".  When I clicked "OK", it opened
>>> another tab (blank) in FF, displaying the URL
>>> file:///C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/l.swf
>>> Checking the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP directory, I find a 715-byte file of that
>>> name, which I suspect is the result of a failed attempt to download
>>> the linked YouTube video.
>>>
>>>       Between clicking "OK" and the opening of the FF tab, a message
>>> (error ?) was displayed, but too briefly to see what type of message
>>> it was, or to read it.
>>>
>>>       Clicking on the link in the script did download the video, and
>>> open and play it in FF, but, as I described above, it didn't work by
>>> just opening the post in TB.
>>>
>>>       [As you can see, moved from m.test to m.general]
>>>
>>>                                          Ken Whiton
>>>
>>>      FIDO: 1:132/152
>>> InterNet: [hidden email] (remove the obvious to reply)
>>
>> this is a flash file, so you need the flash plugins placed within the
>> TB plugin directory.
>>

> if we were under the old newsgroup system, I'd tell you to go to the
> MTMM group, but now, I'm confused.  Do I send you to MTMM group and have
> them tell you wants wrong? Or do I send you to the
> mozilla.support.seamonkey or mozilla.support.thunderbird newsgroup? Or
> do we wait until this new group shows up and I send you there?
>
> Under the old system, I would have posted the test message in the MTMM
> group and you could ask there, and someone would have replied, but now
> I'm lost.  Sorry, I really can't help you cause I'm baffled by all this
> confusion crap.

If I read it correctly, Ken (who is using Thunderbird) is wondering why
your message isn't playing music. Correct?
If so, that belongs in mozilla.support.thunderbird. Always has.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

Re: testing -- youtube hippo for Christmas

Philip Chee
On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 01:20:43 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> this is a flash file, so you need the flash plugins placed
> within the TB plugin directory.

Thunderbird builds prior to 3.0a did not build with plugin support, so
even putting the flashplayer plugin files into the Thunderbird plugin
directory won't help. Of course he might be running a private custom
build with plugins enabled ....

Phil

--
Philip Chee <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ http://xsidebar.mozdev.org

Re: testing -- youtube hippo for Christmas

squaredancer
On 09.12.2007 10:20, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Peter Potamus
the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :

> Ken Whiton wrote:
>
>> *-* On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 09:15:05 -0800,
>> *-* In Article [hidden email],
>> *-* Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote
>> *-* About Re: testing -- youtube hippo for Christmas

>>> did you see this?
>>>
>>       No.  As with the mp3 in the previous post, it opened a dialog box
>> telling me what I was opening and asking what action TB should take,
>> with the default action being "open".  When I clicked "OK", it opened
>> another tab (blank) in FF, displaying the URL
>> file:///C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/l.swf
>> Checking the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP directory, I find a 715-byte file of that
>> name, which I suspect is the result of a failed attempt to download
>> the linked YouTube video.
>>
>>       Between clicking "OK" and the opening of the FF tab, a message
>> (error ?) was displayed, but too briefly to see what type of message
>> it was, or to read it.
>>
>>       Clicking on the link in the script did download the video, and
>> open and play it in FF, but, as I described above, it didn't work by
>> just opening the post in TB.
>>
>>       [As you can see, moved from m.test to m.general]
>>
>>                                          Ken Whiton
>>
>>      FIDO: 1:132/152
>> InterNet: [hidden email] (remove the obvious to reply)
>>

> this is a flash file, so you need the flash plugins placed
> within the TB plugin directory.

a problem that would be properly discussed in the MTMM group and NOT in
general!

reg

Re: testing -- youtube hippo for Christmas

squaredancer
On 09.12.2007 12:55, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Philip Chee to
generate the following:? :

> On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 01:20:43 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>

>> this is a flash file, so you need the flash plugins placed
>> within the TB plugin directory.
>>

> Thunderbird builds prior to 3.0a did not build with plugin support, so
> even putting the flashplayer plugin files into the Thunderbird plugin
> directory won't help. Of course he might be running a private custom
> build with plugins enabled ....
>
> Phil

which, of course, is a speciality confined to the MTMM group - it is NOT
a support.TB feature - those guys (ie Chris Ilias) don't have a clue
about it!

reg

Re: testing -- youtube hippo for Christmas

Christopher Jahn
Chris Ilias <[hidden email]> wrote in
news:[hidden email]:

> On 12/9/07 4:34 AM, _Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo_ spoke
> thusly:
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>>> this is a flash file, so you need the flash plugins placed
>>> within the TB plugin directory.
>>>

>> if we were under the old newsgroup system, I'd tell you to go
>> to the MTMM group, but now, I'm confused.  Do I send you to
>> MTMM group and have them tell you wants wrong? Or do I send
>> you to the mozilla.support.seamonkey or
>> mozilla.support.thunderbird newsgroup? Or do we wait until
>> this new group shows up and I send you there?
>>
>> Under the old system, I would have posted the test message in
>> the MTMM group and you could ask there, and someone would
>> have replied, but now I'm lost.  Sorry, I really can't help
>> you cause I'm baffled by all this confusion crap.
>
> If I read it correctly, Ken (who is using Thunderbird) is
> wondering why your message isn't playing music. Correct?
> If so, that belongs in mozilla.support.thunderbird. Always
> has.

Except that we don't deal with embedded multimedia issues in MST,
and never have.  We have always referred them to MTMM, where the
experts are.  MST deals primarly with the actual workings of the
program, not specifc questions regarding HTML composition.

IOW, MST can help you get and send mail, set your view options,
troubleshoot problems with menues and buttons and configuration.
But if you want to do scription or troubleshoot CSS mail
templates, you need MTMM.

What the hell have YOU been up to for the last 2 years, if you
don't know THIS basic fact?  One more reason to get rid of you.

--
}:-)       Christopher Jahn
{:-(       http://manormaniac.blogspot.com/

Coito ergo sum.

squaredancer wrote:

> On 09.12.2007 10:20, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Peter Potamus
> the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :
>> Ken Whiton wrote:
>>
>>> *-* On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 09:15:05 -0800,
>>> *-* In Article [hidden email],
>>> *-* Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote
>>> *-* About Re: testing -- youtube hippo for Christmas

>>>       No.  As with the mp3 in the previous post, it opened a dialog box
>>> telling me what I was opening and asking what action TB should take,
>>> with the default action being "open".  When I clicked "OK", it opened
>>> another tab (blank) in FF, displaying the URL
>>> file:///C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/l.swf
>>> Checking the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP directory, I find a 715-byte file of that
>>> name, which I suspect is the result of a failed attempt to download
>>> the linked YouTube video.
>>>
>>>       Between clicking "OK" and the opening of the FF tab, a message
>>> (error ?) was displayed, but too briefly to see what type of message
>>> it was, or to read it.
>>>
>>>       Clicking on the link in the script did download the video, and
>>> open and play it in FF, but, as I described above, it didn't work by
>>> just opening the post in TB.
>>>
>>>       [As you can see, moved from m.test to m.general]
>>>
>>>                                          Ken Whiton
>>>
>>>      FIDO: 1:132/152
>>> InterNet: [hidden email] (remove the obvious to reply)
>>>
>> this is a flash file, so you need the flash plugins placed
>> within the TB plugin directory.
>>

> a problem that would be properly discussed in the MTMM group and NOT in
> general!
>
> reg

you're forgetting: I'M BANNED,therefore, I can't discuss it.

Warning: Private emails to me may become public

Posting of this message may get me banned from the Mozilla
Newsgroups, as its not "contributing to the developement of
the Mozilla Project"

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: testing -- youtube hippo for Christmas

squaredancer
On 09.12.2007 18:04, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Peter Potamus
the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :

> squaredancer wrote:
>
>> On 09.12.2007 10:20, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Peter Potamus
>> the Purple Hippo to generate the following:? :

>>> this is a flash file, so you need the flash plugins placed
>>> within the TB plugin directory.
>>>

>> a problem that would be properly discussed in the MTMM group and NOT in
>> general!
>>
>> reg
>>

> you're forgetting: I'M BANNED,therefore, I can't discuss it.

I *killfile* people who propogate (or something) filesharing - therefore
please note that I can't see - let alone read - your above post! :-P

reg

Re: testing -- youtube hippo for Christmas

Chris Ilias-2
On 12/9/07 10:22 AM, _Christopher Jahn_ spoke thusly:

> Chris Ilias <[hidden email]> wrote in
> news:[hidden email]:
>
>> If I read it correctly, Ken (who is using Thunderbird) is
>> wondering why your message isn't playing music. Correct?
>> If so, that belongs in mozilla.support.thunderbird. Always
>> has.
>
> Except that we don't deal with embedded multimedia issues in MST,
> and never have.  We have always referred them to MTMM, where the
> experts are.  MST deals primarly with the actual workings of the
> program, not specifc questions regarding HTML composition.

"We" do, and have. I have. We should.
If someone has trouble viewing a web site in Firefox, that post belongs
in mozilla.support.firefox.
If someone has trouble getting the web site they created to work in
Firefox, their post belongs in mozilla.web-developers.general.
If someone is having trouble viewing an HTML message in Thunderbird,
that post belongs in mozilla.support.thunderbird.
If someone has trouble getting their HTML message to work in
Thunderbird, that post belongs in the new newsgroup.
--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

Re: testing -- youtube hippo for Christmas

Chris Jahn
Chris Ilias <[hidden email]> wrote in
news:[hidden email]:

>> Except that we don't deal with embedded multimedia issues in
>> MST, and never have.  We have always referred them to MTMM,
>> where the experts are.  MST deals primarly with the actual
>> workings of the program, not specifc questions regarding HTML
>> composition.
>
> "We" do, and have. I have. We should.

Why?  We discourage HTML postings in the support groups.  Hard to
deal with HTML problems when you're asking people not to post HTML.
Hell, my newsreader won't parse HTML because I find TB an
inadequate newsreader and use something else.

Besides, most of us lack the expertise for high-end composition,
Ilias.  Back in the day before we adapted these lame versions of
support groups, we'd send them to NTMM and they'd get to ask people
who specialize in figuring out what they can do with HTML in mail.

It wasn't until you f**ked up these groups that there has been any
issue with it.

Peer support worked for over a decade on the Secnews server,
delivering unequalled service until you came along.  Answers came
fast and easy over there. It was a mistake to leave Secnews.  We
believed that you were going to continue the same traditions and
standards of service, and instead you became a power hungry control
freak.

Do you remember the origin of the rift between myself and Potomas?
I used to berate him about all the crap he said about you.  I now
realize he was right: you are a pompous jerk, and a detriment to
these support groups.

--
Mozilla & Netscape FAQs: http://www.ufaq.org/
Web page validation: http://validator.w3.org

Pay careful attention to the Tao-Jones Average.

Re: testing -- youtube hippo for Christmas

Chris Ilias-2
On 12/10/07 2:30 AM, _Chris Jahn_ spoke thusly:

> Chris Ilias <[hidden email]> wrote in
> news:[hidden email]:
>
>>> Except that we don't deal with embedded multimedia issues in
>>> MST, and never have.  We have always referred them to MTMM,
>>> where the experts are.  MST deals primarly with the actual
>>> workings of the program, not specifc questions regarding HTML
>>> composition.
>> "We" do, and have. I have. We should.
>
> Why?  We discourage HTML postings in the support groups.  Hard to
> deal with HTML problems when you're asking people not to post HTML.
> Hell, my newsreader won't parse HTML because I find TB an
> inadequate newsreader and use something else.

If the person is having trouble *reading* HTML messages, posting in HTML
isn't really going to help that much.

> Besides, most of us lack the expertise for high-end composition,
> Ilias.

"Expertise"? Just because *you* don't doesn't mean others don't.

> Back in the day before we adapted these lame versions of
> support groups, we'd send them to NTMM and they'd get to ask people
> who specialize in figuring out what they can do with HTML in mail.

This must be before the year 2000, because that never happened when I
was subscribed to newsgroups on secnews.

> Peer support worked for over a decade on the Secnews server,
> delivering unequalled service until you came along.  Answers came
> fast and easy over there. It was a mistake to leave Secnews.  We
> believed that you were going to continue the same traditions and
> standards of service, and instead you became a power hungry control
> freak.

Peer support worked until the level of OT discussion got out of hand
around early 2005. A number of people were fed up with it. Here's a
direct quote from a Netscape Champ:
"The off topic crap will never stop as long as there are no
consequences, and champions continue to contribute to the threads.
These people obviously have too much time on their hands and nothing
useful to do with it, so they sit around here and jaw.  And when they
have champs jawin along with them they will ignore anyone telling them
to stop.  "Do as I say, not what I do" is even less effective with
adults than it is with children, although the distinction between the
two on this server is less than clear."
And that was /before/ we started doing anything about it.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that I didn't do any
policing on secnews ("It was a mistake to leave"). I was closing threads
on secnews long before this server was set up. Andrew did the same thing
on secnews as he did here, and I was told to hold back when I started
doing something about it.

Given your abusive nature toward users, I implore you to go back to secnews.
--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

Re: testing -- youtube hippo for Christmas

Christopher Jahn
Chris Ilias <[hidden email]> wrote in
news:[hidden email]:

>> Back in the day before we adapted these lame versions of
>> support groups, we'd send them to NTMM and they'd get to ask
>> people who specialize in figuring out what they can do with
>> HTML in mail.
>
> This must be before the year 2000, because that never happened
> when I was subscribed to newsgroups on secnews.

We were doing it up until you lied to us to get us over here.

--
}:-)       Christopher Jahn
{:-(       http://manormaniac.blogspot.com/

The classical Greeks were not influenced by the classical Greeks.

Re: testing -- youtube hippo for Christmas

Christopher Jahn
Chris Ilias <[hidden email]> wrote in
news:[hidden email]:

> Given your abusive nature toward users, I implore you to go
> back to secnews.

I am not abusive towards users.  I do not tolerate trolls, Peter,
or you.

--
}:-)       Christopher Jahn
{:-(       http://manormaniac.blogspot.com/

The classical Greeks were not influenced by the classical Greeks.

Re: testing -- youtube hippo for Christmas

The Real Bev
Chris Ilias wrote:

> On 12/10/07 2:30 AM, _Chris Jahn_ spoke thusly:
>>
>> Peer support worked for over a decade on the Secnews server,
>> delivering unequalled service until you came along.  Answers came
>> fast and easy over there. It was a mistake to leave Secnews.  We
>> believed that you were going to continue the same traditions and
>> standards of service, and instead you became a power hungry control
>> freak.

Don't know about the last part, but the first part was certainly true.

> Peer support worked until the level of OT discussion got out of hand
> around early 2005. A number of people were fed up with it. Here's a
> direct quote from a Netscape Champ:
> "The off topic crap will never stop as long as there are no
> consequences...

Off-topicality itself occupies far less space than comments and
arguments about it.  Arguing with Jehovah's Witnesses wastes your time
and the pigs enjoy it.  It's amazing how effective closing the door (or
your eyes) is.

> If I understand you correctly, you're saying that I didn't do any
> policing on secnews ("It was a mistake to leave"). I was closing threads
> on secnews long before this server was set up. Andrew did the same thing
> on secnews as he did here, and I was told to hold back when I started
> doing something about it.

FWIW, the secnews netscape.mozilla.user.unix denizens were unfailingly
courteous, helpful and fun.  I am especially grateful to Rinaldi who,
even if unable to solve my problems due to my inadequacies, was (and is)
a joy to read -- and NOBODY ranted to anybody else about off-topicality.
  Granted, it wasn't a really active group, but it was a home of sorts.

Bev

Re: testing -- youtube hippo for Christmas

squaredancer
On 10.12.2007 17:44, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  The Real Bev
to generate the following:? :
> Chris Ilias wrote:
>

>> On 12/10/07 2:30 AM, _Chris Jahn_ spoke thusly:

<< snipped >>

>> doing something about it.
>>

> FWIW, the secnews netscape.mozilla.user.unix denizens were unfailingly
> courteous, helpful and fun.  I am especially grateful to Rinaldi who,
> even if unable to solve my problems due to my inadequacies, was (and is)
> a joy to read -- and NOBODY ranted to anybody else about off-topicality.
>   Granted, it wasn't a really active group, but it was a home of sorts.

yepp - and in the same tenor:
"We're gonna miss MTMM"

reg

Re: testing -- youtube hippo for Christmas

Jay Garcia