Re: sending a webpage in email

JoeS-3
JoeS wrote:

> David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 12/12/2007 9:56 AM, Piebald wrote:
>>> I am trying to send a web page in the body of an email. It is one of
>>> my own webpages so I know it is functioning. When I insert html the
>>> links dont work and the images don't show. When I attach it it shows
>>> the webpage in the body but the images are not displaying. what is
>>> the method of doing this?
>>
>> Instead of abusing bandwidth and consuming disc space, just send the URL
>> of the Web page.
>>
> Follow-up to general
>
> You didn't answer the question.
>
> JoeS

I don't think Piebald knows this guy named "bandwidth" which you think he is abusing.
Nor do I think he is planning to "consume" his disc space. He did, however have a question, which I think you failed to
answer. Personal opinion and preferences is really not what support is all about IMO
With all due respect David, if you don't like the question, then why offer an answer that is really just a statement
that you don't agree with what he is asking.
In the strict interpretations of Off-topic, this probably would meet the criteria.

JoeS

Re: sending a webpage in email

Robert Blair-2
On 12/13/2007 7:26 PM, JoeS wrote:

> David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 12/12/2007 9:56 AM, Piebald wrote:
>>> I am trying to send a web page in the body of an email. It is one of my
>>> own webpages so I know it is functioning. When I insert html the links
>>> dont work and the images don't show. When I attach it it shows the
>>> webpage in the body but the images are not displaying. what is the
>>> method of doing this?
>> Instead of abusing bandwidth and consuming disc space, just send the URL
>> of the Web page.
>>
> Follow-up to general
>
> You didn't answer the question.

Piebald (the original poster in this thread) has a problem.  Rather than
giving a complicated answer that might require further exchanges of
messages, I gave him a simple work-around that indeed is effective.  For
many individuals, this work-around is the preferred method for "sending"
Web pages via E-mail.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Mozilla-related applications.  You can access Mozdev much

David E. Ross wrote:

> On 12/13/2007 7:26 PM, JoeS wrote:
>> David E. Ross wrote:
>>> Instead of abusing bandwidth and consuming disc space, just send the URL
>>> of the Web page.
>>>
>> Follow-up to general
>>
>> You didn't answer the question.
>
> Piebald (the original poster in this thread) has a problem.  Rather than
> giving a complicated answer that might require further exchanges of
> messages, I gave him a simple work-around that indeed is effective.  For
> many individuals, this work-around is the preferred method for "sending"
> Web pages via E-mail.

David,
We won't resolve the html vs plaintext debate here. My purpose was simply to show that your opinion is not what the
OP was looking for. He is not "many individuals" So why try to place him there. He obviously wants to use methods that
you don't agree with.
Words like "abusing" and "consuming" state you opinion, but don't really help. A complicated answer was probably what
he *was* looking for. That's why we need a specific group for this type of discussion.

Re: sending a webpage in email

squaredancer
On 14.12.2007 04:26, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  JoeS to
generate the following:? :

> David E. Ross wrote:
>
>> On 12/12/2007 9:56 AM, Piebald wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to send a web page in the body of an email. It is one of my
>>> own webpages so I know it is functioning. When I insert html the links
>>> dont work and the images don't show. When I attach it it shows the
>>> webpage in the body but the images are not displaying. what is the
>>> method of doing this?
>>>
>> Instead of abusing bandwidth and consuming disc space, just send the URL
>> of the Web page.
>>

> Follow-up to general
>
> You didn't answer the question.
>
> JoeS

a "should-be" case of "referred to MTMM group"

reg

Re: sending a webpage in email

PhillipJones
squaredancer wrote:

> On 14.12.2007 04:26, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  JoeS to
> generate the following:? :
>> David E. Ross wrote:

>>> Instead of abusing bandwidth and consuming disc space, just send the URL
>>> of the Web page.
>>>

>> Follow-up to general
>>
>> You didn't answer the question.
>>
>> JoeS
>>

> a "should-be" case of "referred to MTMM group"
>
> reg
Wouldn't that be instead the for Now non existent MGMM Group?

Re: sending a webpage in email

squaredancer
On 15.12.2007 19:14, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Phillip M.
Jones, C.E.T to generate the following:? :

> squaredancer wrote:
>
>> On 14.12.2007 04:26, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  JoeS to
>> generate the following:? :

>>> Follow-up to general
>>>
>>> You didn't answer the question.
>>>
>>> JoeS
>>>

>> a "should-be" case of "referred to MTMM group"
>>
>> reg
>>
> Wouldn't that be instead the for Now non existent MGMM Group?

futuristically seen, yes!
This shows one of those cases that gerv and Chris I simply *do not*
(want to....?)understand!

reg

reg

Re: sending a webpage in email

Daniel-24
JoeS wrote:

> David E. Ross wrote:
>>>>
>>> Follow-up to general
>>>
>>> You didn't answer the question.
>>
>> Piebald (the original poster in this thread) has a problem.  Rather than
>> giving a complicated answer that might require further exchanges of
>> messages, I gave him a simple work-around that indeed is effective.  For
>> many individuals, this work-around is the preferred method for "sending"
>> Web pages via E-mail.
>>
> David,
> We won't resolve the html vs plaintext debate here. My purpose was
> simply to show that your opinion is not what the
> OP was looking for. He is not "many individuals" So why try to place him
> there. He obviously wants to use methods that
> you don't agree with.
> Words like "abusing" and "consuming" state you opinion, but don't really
> help. A complicated answer was probably what
> he *was* looking for. That's why we need a specific group for this type
> of discussion.

I'm with David. Why should I have to download, as mail, something that I
can quite easily view in my browser?

Daniel

Daniel wrote:

> JoeS wrote:
>> David E. Ross wrote:

>>> Piebald (the original poster in this thread) has a problem.  Rather than
>>> giving a complicated answer that might require further exchanges of
>>> messages, I gave him a simple work-around that indeed is effective.  For
>>> many individuals, this work-around is the preferred method for "sending"
>>> Web pages via E-mail.
>>>
>> David,
>> We won't resolve the html vs plaintext debate here. My purpose was
>> simply to show that your opinion is not what the
>> OP was looking for. He is not "many individuals" So why try to place
>> him there. He obviously wants to use methods that
>> you don't agree with.
>> Words like "abusing" and "consuming" state you opinion, but don't
>> really help. A complicated answer was probably what
>> he *was* looking for. That's why we need a specific group for this
>> type of discussion.
>
> I'm with David. Why should I have to download, as mail, something that I
> can quite easily view in my browser?
>
> Daniel
Okay,

Suppose you have relatives that want to send a group of pictures of say
the new Grandson or granddaughter. You they want to send a Christmas (or
Holiday) greeting card they created.

You mean you would dump it out of hand? Do you know how much it cost
have a website hosted through a web hosting service. Or to own the
equipment to host a website and the skills needed to create a website
and the exspense of the software?

Not every one is so fortunate.

Re: sending a webpage in email

Terry R.
On 12/17/2007 11:04 AM On a whim, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T pounded out on
the keyboard

> Daniel wrote:
>> JoeS wrote:

>>> David,
>>> We won't resolve the html vs plaintext debate here. My purpose was
>>> simply to show that your opinion is not what the
>>> OP was looking for. He is not "many individuals" So why try to place
>>> him there. He obviously wants to use methods that
>>> you don't agree with.
>>> Words like "abusing" and "consuming" state you opinion, but don't
>>> really help. A complicated answer was probably what
>>> he *was* looking for. That's why we need a specific group for this
>>> type of discussion.
>> I'm with David. Why should I have to download, as mail, something that I
>> can quite easily view in my browser?
>>
>> Daniel
> Okay,
>
> Suppose you have relatives that want to send a group of pictures of say
> the new Grandson or granddaughter. You they want to send a Christmas (or
> Holiday) greeting card they created.
>
> You mean you would dump it out of hand? Do you know how much it cost
> have a website hosted through a web hosting service. Or to own the
> equipment to host a website and the skills needed to create a website
> and the exspense of the software?
>
> Not every one is so fortunate.

Just about every ISP offers free web space.  So if someone has an
internet connection, they most likely have access to a place to create a
web page.  But that doesn't take into account learning how to design a
page, uploading, and everything else.

And web hosting is very affordable today also. Less than $10 USD per
month, depending on what you need.

--
Terry R.

On 12/17/2007 11:04 AM, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>> JoeS wrote:

>>> David,
>>> We won't resolve the html vs plaintext debate here. My purpose was
>>> simply to show that your opinion is not what the
>>> OP was looking for. He is not "many individuals" So why try to place
>>> him there. He obviously wants to use methods that
>>> you don't agree with.
>>> Words like "abusing" and "consuming" state you opinion, but don't
>>> really help. A complicated answer was probably what
>>> he *was* looking for. That's why we need a specific group for this
>>> type of discussion.
>> I'm with David. Why should I have to download, as mail, something that I
>> can quite easily view in my browser?
>>
>> Daniel
> Okay,
>
> Suppose you have relatives that want to send a group of pictures of say
> the new Grandson or granddaughter. You they want to send a Christmas (or
> Holiday) greeting card they created.
>
> You mean you would dump it out of hand? Do you know how much it cost
> have a website hosted through a web hosting service. Or to own the
> equipment to host a website and the skills needed to create a website
> and the exspense of the software?
>
> Not every one is so fortunate.

My ISP charges for the access, with an additional charge for an
additional mailbox.  Web hosting to 20MB is included at no extra charge;
I'm already using 10.8MB.

However, the question was about how to send a Web page via an E-mail
message, not about creating the Web page.  It could easily be someone
else's Web page; it could even be a commercial Web page or a page from a
news service.  I may be mistaken, but it appears that Web servers
generally deliver pages more quickly than mail servers.

My daughter and I exchange URIs in E-mail messages all the time.  And we
all exchange URIs in messages in this and other newsgroups.  Using such
URIs to view a page via a browser means that the page exists on my hard
drive in my browser's cache, which I empty just before each time I do a
backup of my hard drives.  Receiving the page in an E-mail message means
that I have to find the file and delete it; it's not in my browser cache.

And, as a practical matter, it was far easier to answer the original
question by suggesting the use of a URI than going into details about
how to embed a Web page in a message.

I still feel my answer was clearly on-topic for
mozilla.support.thunderbird and that JoeS unnecessarily interfered when
he replied to my original message with a follow-up to this newsgroup.

David E. Ross wrote:

> On 12/17/2007 11:04 AM, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> Daniel wrote:

>>> I'm with David. Why should I have to download, as mail, something that I
>>> can quite easily view in my browser?
>>>
>>> Daniel
>> Okay,
>>
>> Suppose you have relatives that want to send a group of pictures of say
>> the new Grandson or granddaughter. You they want to send a Christmas (or
>> Holiday) greeting card they created.
>>
>> You mean you would dump it out of hand? Do you know how much it cost
>> have a website hosted through a web hosting service. Or to own the
>> equipment to host a website and the skills needed to create a website
>> and the exspense of the software?
>>
>> Not every one is so fortunate.
>>

> My ISP charges for the access, with an additional charge for an
> additional mailbox.  Web hosting to 20MB is included at no extra charge;
> I'm already using 10.8MB.
>
> However, the question was about how to send a Web page via an E-mail
> message, not about creating the Web page.  It could easily be someone
> else's Web page; it could even be a commercial Web page or a page from a
> news service.  I may be mistaken, but it appears that Web servers
> generally deliver pages more quickly than mail servers.
>
> My daughter and I exchange URIs in E-mail messages all the time.  And we
> all exchange URIs in messages in this and other newsgroups.  Using such
> URIs to view a page via a browser means that the page exists on my hard
> drive in my browser's cache, which I empty just before each time I do a
> backup of my hard drives.  Receiving the page in an E-mail message means
> that I have to find the file and delete it; it's not in my browser cache.
>
> And, as a practical matter, it was far easier to answer the original
> question by suggesting the use of a URI than going into details about
> how to embed a Web page in a message.
>
> I still feel my answer was clearly on-topic for
> mozilla.support.thunderbird and that JoeS unnecessarily interfered when
> he replied to my original message with a follow-up to this newsgroup.

David, Your support work in this group far surpasses mine, and I'm sure it is appreciated.
But the OP was looking for help with techniques in mail/news that we at NTMM have used for years.
I can't tell you how many questions I've seen here, and in Mozillazine on the subject.
I'm afraid that many new users (and some veterans that I know) simply choose another product,
concluding that it's too difficult, or simply can't be done.

Well, it is difficult, but suggesting they don't try to use Tbird/SeaMonkey in *their* preferred
way is just not fair to the poster.

JoeS