Re: onclick event and screen readers

afhill
On Mar 7, 5:32 pm, Rich Caloggero <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I thought I understood how onclicks worked, but maybe not.  I just coded a
> very simple page with inline onclicks on a span and an anchor. They simply
> fire an alert.  The span has a tabindex of zero.
>
> However, with no screen reader enabled, the onclicks do not fire at all with
> the keyboard.  Is this correct behavior? I thought that onclick was a
> generic event which would fire when the mouse was clicked or the
> platform-specific keyboard activation keys were pressed (on windows, space
> or enter should do the trick). This is all true if Jaws is enabled.
>
> Firefox doesn't draw the focus when it moves to the span; at least IE does
> this correctly.

Hi Rich,
Be default, a span is an inline item, and in my experience, Firefox
seems to have trouble assigning behaviours to such items- it is as
though it has difficulty determining where the boundaries of these
elements are, and therefore can't really tell if the user is
{clicking, hovering} over them. You may want to explore with making
them block elements, or giving them a specific size..
good luck!
- Andrea

Re: onclick event and screen readers

Aaron Leventhal-3
Andrea,

That doesn't jibe with what I know. Do you mind providing a testcase
where Firefox has general trouble with spans?

Rich is experiencing a different, more specific issue. Firefox doesn't
turn an Enter key into a click in all cases.

- Aaron