Re: nstmp folders in SMPmw118?

Christer Jacobsson
Dave Yeo wrote:

> Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>> As Salaam Aleikum!
>>
>> She runs SMPmW118 as Her mailer and under the mail account is the usual
>> Inbox, Sent, Junk and Saved messages folders, but there also exist a
>> host of nstmp folders which now contains thousands of messages,
>> totalling over 200Mib of data. Is it safe for Her to just delete these
>> nstmp folder or would it hurt the mailer in any way?
>
> Generally you can delete them, see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Nstmp_folders
> Dave

Thanks! But She has a small question some Scandinavian members of this
ng reads and it is this: The Swedish alphabet has three tail-end
characters namely 'åÅ', 'äÄ' and 'öÖ'. They are treated as special
characters whether the codepage She uses is 437 or 850, and they DON't
sort properly: if She have three files named Å.txt, Ä.txt and Ö.txt and
does a DIR against them with the 'dir ?.txt', they will show up as
Ä,txt, Å.txt and Ö.txt. So when She retrieves Swedish tunes via Youtube
of from a Swedish CD with a Swedish title, She want to transliterate
these pesky tail-end characters to 'normal' characters, but which would
be the best transliteration? Currently She uses 'aa' for 'å', 'ae' for
'ä' and 'oe' for 'ö'. So a music track from Fröken Elvis album 'Elvis på
svenska / Elvis in Swedish' would be created like this:
Froeken_Elvis-Aelska_mig.mp3 (Love Me Tender is the basis for this cover
tune). Note also the use of the '-' and '_' separator characters: the
underscore is the separator between the artist(s) name and the song
title while the '_' is the separator in the artist's name if it is a
multiword name and also in the name of the tune if it's a multiword
name. When fetching & converting tunes from Youtube, the file name
suggested nearly always contains space characters, and if they are
retained the file name will be enclosed with the "<file name'" combo.
Replacing the space characters with '-' and '_' in their appropriate
places makes the file name a regular one which don't have these pesky "
chars before and after the file name, making the handling of the file,
for example renaming, much easier.

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 20th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
        Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)

Re: nstmp folders in SMPmw118?

Robert Blair-2
On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 23:31:02 UTC, Christer Jacobsson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dave Yeo wrote:
> > Christer Jacobsson wrote:
> >> As Salaam Aleikum!
> >>
> >> She runs SMPmW118 as Her mailer and under the mail account is the usual
> >> Inbox, Sent, Junk and Saved messages folders, but there also exist a
> >> host of nstmp folders which now contains thousands of messages,
> >> totalling over 200Mib of data. Is it safe for Her to just delete these
> >> nstmp folder or would it hurt the mailer in any way?
> >
> > Generally you can delete them, see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Nstmp_folders
> > Dave
>
> Thanks! But She has a small question some Scandinavian members of this
> ng reads and it is this: The Swedish alphabet has three tail-end
> characters namely '†', '„Ž' and '”™'. They are treated as special
> characters whether the codepage She uses is 437 or 850, and they DON't
> sort properly:
If she used the Swedish code page things would sort properly and there would
not be a problem.  Since she wishes to use another code page she needs to do
something that makes sense to her.

> if She have three files named .txt, Ž.txt and ™.txt and
> does a DIR against them with the 'dir ?.txt', they will show up as
> Ž,txt, .txt and ™.txt. So when She retrieves Swedish tunes via Youtube
> of from a Swedish CD with a Swedish title, She want to transliterate
> these pesky tail-end characters to 'normal' characters, but which would
> be the best transliteration?

The best translation is the one she prefers.  The way I or someone else would
do it is of no use to her.  She needs to do what makes sense to her in her
computer environment.

Robert Blair wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 23:31:02 UTC, Christer Jacobsson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Dave Yeo wrote:

>>> Generally you can delete them, see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Nstmp_folders
>>> Dave
>> Thanks! But She has a small question some Scandinavian members of this
>> ng reads and it is this: The Swedish alphabet has three tail-end
>> characters namely '†', '„Ž' and '”™'. They are treated as special
>> characters whether the codepage She uses is 437 or 850, and they DON't
>> sort properly:
>
> If she used the Swedish code page things would sort properly and there would
> not be a problem.  Since she wishes to use another code page she needs to do
> something that makes sense to her.

In Config.sys these statements are present:

COUNTRY=046,C:\OS2\SYSTEM\COUNTRY.SYS
CODEPAGE=046,850

but the SET LANG= is set to EN_US because WSeB is the English version.

>> if She have three files named .txt, Ž.txt and ™.txt and
>> does a DIR against them with the 'dir ?.txt', they will show up as
>> Ž,txt, .txt and ™.txt. So when She retrieves Swedish tunes via Youtube
>> of from a Swedish CD with a Swedish title, She want to transliterate
>> these pesky tail-end characters to 'normal' characters, but which would
>> be the best transliteration?
>
> The best translation is the one she prefers.  The way I or someone else would
> do it is of no use to her.  She needs to do what makes sense to her in her
> computer environment.
>

>> Currently She uses 'aa' for '†', 'ae' for
>> '„' and 'oe' for '”'. So a music track from Fr”ken Elvis album 'Elvis p†
>> svenska / Elvis in Swedish' would be created like this:
>> Froeken_Elvis-Aelska_mig.mp3 (Love Me Tender is the basis for this cover
>> tune). Note also the use of the '-' and '_' separator characters: the
>> underscore is the separator between the artist(s) name and the song
>> title while the '_' is the separator in the artist's name if it is a
>> multiword name and also in the name of the tune if it's a multiword
>> name. When fetching & converting tunes from Youtube, the file name
>> suggested nearly always contains space characters, and if they are
>> retained the file name will be enclosed with the "<file name'" combo.
>> Replacing the space characters with '-' and '_' in their appropriate
>> places makes the file name a regular one which don't have these pesky "
>> chars before and after the file name, making the handling of the file,
>> for example renaming, much easier.

This question of transliteration of the Swedish tail-end chars aren't
just för Herself when naming files; it can have repercussions in
newsgroup posts as well if a Swedish word containing 'Å', 'Ä' is written
as is, the receiver(s) might get a garbled word, all depending how they
had their newsreader setup when it comes to codepages and charatcter
encodings. Therefore She have the City field in Her Amazon profile set
to 'Umeaa' instead of 'Umeå', and bought books from them have NEVER gone
astray because of this! So if She buys stuff from international sites
which don't have Swedish as language but English instead, it's better to
transliterate the tail-end chars to the standard char set A-Z.

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan