Re: newsgroup, profile

os24u
** Reply to note from [hidden email] Wed, 10 Jun 2020 12:00:02 +0000

> As Salaam Aleikum! Can the old profile be migrated to the new one "Brekke" which will live  on r:\mozilla.org\org in stages? Why She asks is that there
> are a hell  of lines under the "Helper Appplications" So could She tick off the  prefs that comes before this section, click OK on the new profile so it  will
> be saved/created under the name "Brekke". Then close down SMPMW118,  open the old prefs.js in e.exe and likewise open the new prefs.js and  just
> copy & paste over the items related to the Helper apps, save the  new prefs.js. Then fire up SMPMW118 with the old profile and another  instance with
> the new profile and tick off the rest which are required.

 You can add what you wish. The next 10 people will have much smaller profiles than you, and all are functional

> Btw, in the Mail & Newsgroups part, you only declare which newsservers  She will use, i.e. nntp.ecomstation.com and the one for  news.mozilla.org. For
> the last there probably are just two files, one  for the messages and a corresponding .msf file, but how is it with the  ecomstation newsgroups?
> Discovered that the newsgroups was placed in  news.ecomstation-1.com instead of news.ecomstation.com. So could the  files under
> news.ecomstation-1.com just be copied to  news.ecomstation.com. She thinks that this misplacement of the  news.ecomstation.com made the
> newsgroups unavailable for the mailer.  dev.ports.os2.mozilla.com works just fine, thank you :-)

 copied to  news.ecomstation.com seems reasonable.

        Cal

Re: newsgroup, profile

Peter Brown
Hi

Bit pointless worrying about news.ecomstation.com/nl as that news server
is dead and unlikely to return.

Regards

Pete

[hidden email] wrote:

> ** Reply to note from [hidden email] Wed, 10 Jun 2020 12:00:02 +0000
>>
>> As Salaam Aleikum! Can the old profile be migrated to the new one "Brekke" which will live  on r:\mozilla.org\org in stages? Why She asks is that there
>> are a hell  of lines under the "Helper Appplications" So could She tick off the  prefs that comes before this section, click OK on the new profile so it  will
>> be saved/created under the name "Brekke". Then close down SMPMW118,  open the old prefs.js in e.exe and likewise open the new prefs.js and  just
>> copy & paste over the items related to the Helper apps, save the  new prefs.js. Then fire up SMPMW118 with the old profile and another  instance with
>> the new profile and tick off the rest which are required.
>
>  You can add what you wish. The next 10 people will have much smaller profiles than you, and all are functional
>
>> Btw, in the Mail & Newsgroups part, you only declare which newsservers  She will use, i.e. nntp.ecomstation.com and the one for  news.mozilla.org. For
>> the last there probably are just two files, one  for the messages and a corresponding .msf file, but how is it with the  ecomstation newsgroups?
>> Discovered that the newsgroups was placed in  news.ecomstation-1.com instead of news.ecomstation.com. So could the  files under
>> news.ecomstation-1.com just be copied to  news.ecomstation.com. She thinks that this misplacement of the  news.ecomstation.com made the
>> newsgroups unavailable for the mailer.  dev.ports.os2.mozilla.com works just fine, thank you :-)
>
>  copied to  news.ecomstation.com seems reasonable.
>
>         Cal

Re: newsgroup, profile

Christer Jacobsson
Peter Brown wrote:
> Hi

As Salaam Aleikum!

> Bit pointless worrying about news.ecomstation.com/nl as that news server
> is dead and unlikely to return.

What in the nine purple hells of Palain(*) have happened to it? You
mentioned news.ecomstation.com/nl, but that would mean that a /nl
(Netherlands?) section of it are dead or are the whole
news.ecomstation.com dead also? What other newsgroup servers are
available for us who uses eCs / os2? And btw should a news server name
begin with news.<name of server> or nntp.<name of server>?

She needs a newsgroup server for eCs to ask questions how to use File
And Print Services to transfer all data partitions from the old box to
the new box; the goal is to creata an environment that's like the one on
the old box where for example WarpIN is installed in the g:\os2ut\Warpin
dir - better to have only ONE common Warpin than one for each eCs and
ArcaOS.
> Regards
>
> Pete

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 24th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
        Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)

Re: newsgroup, profile

Peter Brown
Hi Christer

Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> Peter Brown wrote:
>> Hi
>>

> As Salaam Aleikum!
>
>> Bit pointless worrying about news.ecomstation.com/nl as that news
>> server is dead and unlikely to return.
>>

> What in the nine purple hells of Palain(*) have happened to it?

Died about the same time as eCS - years ago.

  You
> mentioned news.ecomstation.com/nl, but that would mean that a /nl
> (Netherlands?) section of it are dead or are the whole
> news.ecomstation.com dead also? What other newsgroup servers are
> available for us who uses eCs / os2? And btw should a news server name
> begin with news.<name of server> or nntp.<name of server>?

news.ecomstation.* is dead.

The server name starts with news.

> She needs a newsgroup server for eCs to ask questions how to use File
> And Print Services to transfer all data partitions from the old box to
> the new box; the goal is to creata an environment that's like the one on
> the old box where for example WarpIN is installed in the g:\os2ut\Warpin
> dir - better to have only ONE common Warpin than one for each eCs and
> ArcaOS.

Suggest you visit https://www.os2world.com and join the forums.

Regards

Pete

>> Regards
>>
>> Pete
>

> Cul8er alligator!
> gaea - feminist & chunkawakan

Re: newsgroup, profile

Christer Jacobsson
Peter Brown wrote:
> Hi Christer

As Salaam Aleikum!

> Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>> Peter Brown wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>

>> As Salaam Aleikum!
>>
>>> Bit pointless worrying about news.ecomstation.com/nl as that news
>>> server is dead and unlikely to return.
>>>

>> What in the nine purple hells of Palain(*) have happened to it?
>

> Died about the same time as eCS - years ago.

But She need at least one eCs 2.1 installed on the new box for viewing
SVTPlay (SVT is our public services TV company) and the browser needs
the Flash11 plugin which *only* works in an eCs environment - it can
detect if one tries to access it from WSeB or ArcaOS, it just wont
function there. But when SVT drops the requirement for a Flash11 plugin
(plus the latest ODIN), then accessing SVTPlay, URPlay (also a part of
SVT) and SRPlay (Swedish Radio player, Swedish Radio is also public
service.) should be accessible via a browser regardless of OS (we're
talking OS2 / eCs / ArcaOS here).

>  You
>> mentioned news.ecomstation.com/nl, but that would mean that a /nl
>> (Netherlands?) section of it are dead or are the whole
>> news.ecomstation.com dead also? What other newsgroup servers are
>> available for us who uses eCs / os2? And btw should a news server name
>> begin with news.<name of server> or nntp.<name of server>?
>>

> news.ecomstation.* is dead.
>
> The server name starts with news.
>
>> She needs a newsgroup server for eCs to ask questions how to use File
>> And Print Services to transfer all data partitions from the old box to
>> the new box; the goal is to creata an environment that's like the one on
>> the old box where for example WarpIN is installed in the g:\os2ut\Warpin
>> dir - better to have only ONE common Warpin than one for each eCs and
>> ArcaOS.
>

> Suggest you visit https://www.os2world.com and join the forums.

Thanks for that tidbit of info :-)

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan

Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> Peter Brown wrote:
>> Hi Christer
>>

> As Salaam Aleikum!
>
>> Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>>>>

>>> As Salaam Aleikum!

>>> What in the nine purple hells of Palain(*) have happened to it?
>>

>> Died about the same time as eCS - years ago.
>>

> But She need at least one eCs 2.1 installed on the new box for viewing
> SVTPlay (SVT is our public services TV company) and the browser needs
> the Flash11 plugin which *only* works in an eCs environment - it can
> detect if one tries to access it from WSeB or ArcaOS, it just wont
> function there. But when SVT drops the requirement for a Flash11 plugin
> (plus the latest ODIN), then accessing SVTPlay, URPlay (also a part of
> SVT) and SRPlay (Swedish Radio player, Swedish Radio is also public
> service.) should be accessible via a browser regardless of OS (we're
> talking OS2 / eCs / ArcaOS here).

I think it is possible to "fool" the flash plugin although I have not
tried it as I have no need of that plugin.

On an eCS system there is a \ecs directory containing this file
ECS_INST.FLG which, I think, the flash plugin checks for.

So, on an ArcaOS or WSeB sysem you need an \ecs directory containing a
copy of that file to make the flash plugin happy.

Give it a try and see if my above theory works.

>>  You
>>> mentioned news.ecomstation.com/nl, but that would mean that a /nl
>>> (Netherlands?) section of it are dead or are the whole
>>> news.ecomstation.com dead also? What other newsgroup servers are
>>> available for us who uses eCs / os2? And btw should a news server name
>>> begin with news.<name of server> or nntp.<name of server>?
>>>

>> news.ecomstation.* is dead.
>>
>> The server name starts with news.
>>
>>> She needs a newsgroup server for eCs to ask questions how to use File
>>> And Print Services to transfer all data partitions from the old box to
>>> the new box; the goal is to creata an environment that's like the one on
>>> the old box where for example WarpIN is installed in the g:\os2ut\Warpin
>>> dir - better to have only ONE common Warpin than one for each eCs and
>>> ArcaOS.

Re: 1 Warpin for several boot volumes.
That was working fine but now ANPM can install files that have Warpin
entries but, as I discovered recently, ANPM/Warpin is not yet clever
enough to work with more than 1 DATABAS_?.INI file. I currently have 3
boot volumes H:, L:, M:  all using the same Warpin and ANPM. The result
of installing some files has been a new DATABAS_D.INI file containing
the entries that should have gone into DATABAS_L.INI

Probably the quickest way to copy files from old disk to new disks is to
have both disks installed in the same system box and use XCOPY.

Using File & Print Client you need both systems connected to the lan and
then simply copy your data files.

Regards

Pete

>> Suggest you visit https://www.os2world.com and join the forums.
>>

> Thanks for that tidbit of info :-)
>

> Cul8er alligator!
> gaea - feminist & chunkawakan

Re: newsgroup, profile

Christer Jacobsson
Peter Brown wrote:
> Hi Christer

As Salaam Aleikum!

> Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>> Peter Brown wrote:
>>> Hi Christer
>>>

>> As Salaam Aleikum!

>>> Died about the same time as eCS - years ago.
>>>

>> But She need at least one eCs 2.1 installed on the new box for viewing
>> SVTPlay (SVT is our public services TV company) and the browser needs
>> the Flash11 plugin which *only* works in an eCs environment - it can
>> detect if one tries to access it from WSeB or ArcaOS, it just wont
>> function there. But when SVT drops the requirement for a Flash11 plugin
>> (plus the latest ODIN), then accessing SVTPlay, URPlay (also a part of
>> SVT) and SRPlay (Swedish Radio player, Swedish Radio is also public
>> service.) should be accessible via a browser regardless of OS (we're
>> talking OS2 / eCs / ArcaOS here).
>>

> I think it is possible to "fool" the flash plugin although I have not
> tried it as I have no need of that plugin.
>
> On an eCS system there is a \ecs directory containing this file
> ECS_INST.FLG which, I think, the flash plugin checks for.
>
> So, on an ArcaOS or WSeB sysem you need an \ecs directory containing a
> copy of that file to make the flash plugin happy.

Will try this on the new box. Reason? Higher browser level (FF31 and 45)
and faster CPU plus 8Gib RAM.

> Give it a try and see if my above theory works.
>

>>>  You
>>>>

>>> news.ecomstation.* is dead.
>>>
>>> The server name starts with news.

> Re: 1 Warpin for several boot volumes.
> That was working fine but now ANPM can install files that have Warpin
> entries but, as I discovered recently, ANPM/Warpin is not yet clever
> enough to work with more than 1 DATABAS_?.INI file. I currently have 3
> boot volumes H:, L:, M:  all using the same Warpin and ANPM. The result
> of installing some files has been a new DATABAS_D.INI file containing
> the entries that should have gone into DATABAS_L.INI

Then you should raise a ticket on this so Warpin installs via ANPN don't
foul up the database but conform to the standard database instead.

> Probably the quickest way to copy files from old disk to new disks is to
> have both disks installed in the same system box and use XCOPY.

That's not possible as the HD's on the old system is SCSI and the HD'S
on the new system is SATA. But you probably means that to transfer files
from the old to the new box shold be done with \\Sorileawks\*
\\Sorileasrv /S /E /V /H /T /R /O. Or would it be better to use File and
Print services - the old system have LAN Server and the new will have
PEER server with the name Sorileasrv (on the old system it's Sorileawks).

> Using File & Print Client you need both systems connected to the lan and
> then simply copy your data files.

Both systems hangs on the same router (unfortunately a Huawei model so a
firewall program should be installed (probably In-Joys firewall program)
to protect the system from things that go bump in the night :-(

>>> Suggest you visit https://www.os2world.com and join the forums.

Does it need a high-level browser or can FF17 be used to access it?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 24th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
        Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)
        Team eCs       e-mail:  [hidden email]   (Alternate)
        Team DRW       Dare Refuse Windows
        Chunkawakan    Lakota/Sioux: Horse

Re: newsgroup, profile

Peter Brown
Hi Christer

Not having used FF17 to access os2world (I use Seamonkey) I have to
admit that I do not know the answer to that question - but would expect
it to work.

The easiest way to find out is to try it  :-)

Regards

Pete