Re: moving profile

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: moving profile

os24u
** Reply to note from [hidden email] Mon, 10 Feb 2020 12:00:01 +0000
>  
> But setting SET MOZILLA_HOME=R:\MOZILLA.ORG\MOZILLA will screw up the  locations for the FF profiles, these may be
> migrated at a later date,  the mailer must be migrated first, therefore it's best to to set this  statement locally in both
> the migration .cmd file and in the .cmd file  that wil kick off the migrated mailer itself (not the SMPMW118 program,  it
> will stay where it is now. She's a command line hound using 4OS2 as  the command shell rather than the command.com
> that's shipped with os2 /  eeCs.

 You do not need to migrate profiles. Copy your \profile tree to new location and use all profiles from there. Then when
you wish a new profile, add one. Mozilla profiles are not fixed, they are searched below wherever mozilla_home is.

> No, but She suspects that the whole mozilla tree plus backup of the WSeB  OS would be larger than 2Gib - She have a
> smal plugin in FF 10.O.2 and  17..0.11esr that sets the history to 99999 days instead of the standard  7 days without
> this plugin.

 What is the issue with 2gb? When you do a backup are you copying the entire file tree? Do you expect to lump an entire
partition into one file?
   
> Btw, do you have any experience with WarpIN program? Her WarpIn in WSeB  will not work, so can it be deinstalled and
> reinstalled without losing  it's data base content? If not, then She can contact Netlabs to ask them  for support of this
> vital program - She want to "hot up" WSeB with  modern software like ACPI, AHCI, GenMac or MultiMac, the new FAT32
> IFS,  the latest DaniS506 package and perhaps other stuff so that it will  function properly on the new box - so much is
> tied up with WSeB, so She  wants to run it as the primary OS and also having eCs 2.1 and eCs 2.1  Business Edition (got
> it for free plus the regkey by a guy at Mensys).  And a decent backup program that's visible both in WSeB AND at least
> on  of the eCs'es so She can do a restore if WSeB bombs so hard that only a  restore of the latest fresh backup will cure
> it, doing it from one of  the eCs'es. She hav learned the hard way why backup/restore is needed.  When She worked on

 Warpin, never use it directly. Use WpiView which extracts files from .wpi and move files wherever desired.  

 datbas_D.ini is the database for Warpin, copy it over should work.

 Backup apps have 2, plus 2 more have not tested yet. Give an example of how you wish to backup, describing target and
source.

        Cal


_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: moving profile

Christer Jacobsson
[hidden email] wrote:
> ** Reply to note from [hidden email] Mon, 10 Feb 2020 12:00:01 +0000
>>  

As Salaam Aleikum!

>> But setting SET MOZILLA_HOME=R:\MOZILLA.ORG\MOZILLA will screw up the  locations for the FF profiles, these may be
>> migrated at a later date,  the mailer must be migrated first, therefore it's best to to set this  statement locally in both
>> the migration .cmd file and in the .cmd file  that wil kick off the migrated mailer itself (not the SMPMW118 program,  it
>> will stay where it is now. She's a command line hound using 4OS2 as  the command shell rather than the command.com
>> that's shipped with os2 /  eeCs.
>
>  You do not need to migrate profiles. Copy your \profile tree to new location and use all profiles from there. Then when
> you wish a new profile, add one. Mozilla profiles are not fixed, they are searched below wherever mozilla_home is.
>

The profile "default" is sick, so moving it to the new location you
suggested may not clear up this, therefore a Migrate of the default to a
new profile called "Brekke" should clear up this sickness. Or would it
be best to open the Default profile (mailer in offline mode), open the
Profile manager and just ticking off the relevant settings to the new
profile - as She said before, NOTHING can be changed in the currrent
Default profile except the mail sound :-( So a migration/creating the
new profile is required. When the new profile is created, how does She
migrate the Adress book (it's stated that the Profile, Adress book and
the Mail&Newsgroups can be migrated, but which command line parameters
will do this?) Btw, how does She get hold of the list of the parameters
that SMPMW118 will accept? Have tried to get them via "smpmw118.exe -?,
but that just brings up the mailer in online mode. So when She migrates
the Default profile to the new Brekke profile, what's the command for
doing this - the same goes for the migrating of the Adress Book and the
Mail&Newsgroups. And how does SMPMW118 be started in Offline mode - it
should not be Online during these operations.

>> No, but She suspects that the whole mozilla tree plus backup of the WSeB  OS would be larger than 2Gib - She have a
>> smal plugin in FF 10.O.2 and  17..0.11esr that sets the history to 99999 days instead of the standard  7 days without
>> this plugin.
>
>  What is the issue with 2gb? When you do a backup are you copying the entire file tree? Do you expect to lump an entire
> partition into one file?
>    

Her old backup program, Back Again/2 Pro does not backup more then 2Gib
on for example a DVD or an USB stick - it can only backup more than 2Gb
to a DAT74 tape, but that road is closed now, so She is searching for a
new backup program that can backup the whole system onto an 64Gib USB
stick. First a FULL backup on Saturday at 07:00, then Incremental
backups Sun-Fri, change the USB stick and do a FULL backup plus the
Incremental backups on the "new stick". With this method She will have
two weeks backups avaiable if something goes seriously wrong - did that
with the DAT74 backup, had 2 tapes, one for Week1 and the other for
Week2. Then when Week3 arrives, go back to the Week1 tape and begin a
new cycle. Will do the same. Btw, do you know of some NAS program for
OS/2 / eCs - a guy suggested a program in the ordinary mail flow, but
haven't managed to locate it because the name of the program is red
meaning that it's a link rather than an ordinary text name. She have
heard of a native os2 / eCs backup called Back 'em Up which is shareware
and it will backup extended attributes to the backup media, in this case
USB sticks formatted with JFS rather than FAT32. Will install it in WSeB
and in one of the eCs that willl be on the new system so if WSeB bombs
so hard it can't be started, just boot over to the alternate eCs,
reformat C: and restore WSeB and it should run again just fine. Haven't
installed the newest FAT32 on the system yet, it's delivered as an .exe
file which will probably try to invoke Warpin that's now defunct in WSeB.

>> Btw, do you have any experience with WarpIN program? Her WarpIn in WSeB  will not work, so can it be deinstalled and
>> reinstalled without losing  it's data base content? If not, then She can contact Netlabs to ask them  for support of this
>> vital program - She want to "hot up" WSeB with  modern software like ACPI, AHCI, GenMac or MultiMac, the new FAT32
>> IFS,  the latest DaniS506 package and perhaps other stuff so that it will  function properly on the new box - so much is
>> tied up with WSeB, so She  wants to run it as the primary OS and also having eCs 2.1 and eCs 2.1  Business Edition (got
>> it for free plus the regkey by a guy at Mensys).  And a decent backup program that's visible both in WSeB AND at least
>> on  of the eCs'es so She can do a restore if WSeB bombs so hard that only a  restore of the latest fresh backup will cure
>> it, doing it from one of  the eCs'es. She hav learned the hard way why backup/restore is needed.  When She worked on
>
>  Warpin, never use it directly. Use WpiView which extracts files from .wpi and move files wherever desired.  
>

Is this WpView a part of the WarpIN package?

>  datbas_D.ini is the database for Warpin, copy it over should work.
>
>  Backup apps have 2, plus 2 more have not tested yet. Give an example of how you wish to backup, describing target and
> source.
>

Source: Every partition on the old and the new system, target: a 64Gib
USB stick (in fact 2 of them as She described above). Have heard of an
animal called Rsync but that program is in all probabillity a *nix port
that may require a hell lot of parameters to make it backup the whole
system to an USB stick. So a backup program that can have multiple
profiles - FULL and Incremental should be best as the Incremental backup
just backups cat/files that have changed since the last FULL backup.
Ease of use is paramount, so a modern version of Back Again/2 like Back
'em Up (shareware) may be suitable. Her move to the new flat plus costs
for moving all the stuff in Her old flat, installing light sources and
such ate up our money reservers so a NAS can't be bought at the present,
therefore the need for a native OS2 / ecs backup program. A NAS will
come later running some flavour of Linux plus FreeNAS backup program,
and as Linux programs doesn't recognize drive letters, the FreeNAS can
backup everything from the new box, whether it's Win7, some modern
flavour of DOS with support for SATA and USB, the various OS'es and all
the data partitions. The NAS program can be configured with a web
browser, telling it how to behave properly, perhaps doing a TOTAL backup
on Saturdays and Incremental backups the other days of the week.


Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 24th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
        Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)
        Team eCs       e-mail:  [hidden email]   (Alternate)
        Team DRW       Dare Refuse Windows
        Chunkawakan    Lakota/Sioux: Horse
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: moving profile

Christer Jacobsson
In reply to this post by os24u
[hidden email] wrote:

> ** Reply to note from [hidden email] Mon, 10 Feb 2020 12:00:01 +0000
>>  
>> But setting SET MOZILLA_HOME=R:\MOZILLA.ORG\MOZILLA will screw up the  locations for the FF profiles, these may be
>> migrated at a later date,  the mailer must be migrated first, therefore it's best to to set this  statement locally in both
>> the migration .cmd file and in the .cmd file  that wil kick off the migrated mailer itself (not the SMPMW118 program,  it
>> will stay where it is now. She's a command line hound using 4OS2 as  the command shell rather than the command.com
>> that's shipped with os2 /  eeCs.
>
>  You do not need to migrate profiles. Copy your \profile tree to new location and use all profiles from there. Then when
> you wish a new profile, add one. Mozilla profiles are not fixed, they are searched below wherever mozilla_home is.
>
>> No, but She suspects that the whole mozilla tree plus backup of the WSeB  OS would be larger than 2Gib - She have a
>> smal plugin in FF 10.O.2 and  17..0.11esr that sets the history to 99999 days instead of the standard  7 days without
>> this plugin.
>
>  What is the issue with 2gb? When you do a backup are you copying the entire file tree? Do you expect to lump an entire
> partition into one file?
>

With the old BackAgain/2 program, She backed up the WHOLE system every
Saturday and only backed up things tha's have changed after the FULL
backup, i.e. an incremental backup. A FULL backup took about 2 hours
onto a DATT74 tape but the Incremental backups took about fifteen
minutes each. As She have learned the hard way that backups are
necessary. She have used various OS/2 backup programs, the latest is
Back Again/2. But that old program can ONLY backup 2GB on ANY media
except to a DAT74 tape. But newer backup programs for eCs don't have
this barrier, so backing up the whole system, i.e.every partition on
Saturday plus backing up only stuff that's changed after the Saturday
FULL backup. So if for example WSeB bombs so hard it will not boot at
all, just change to an eCs OS where the backup program is also
installed, reformat C: (WSeB) and do a TOTAL restore of WSeB, run CHKDSK
C: /F and reboot WSeB and it will boot up nice as you please. Had to do
this to get back a functioning WSeB, but that didn't happened often,
thanks the Great Mother for that!

>> Btw, do you have any experience with WarpIN program? Her WarpIn in WSeB  will not work, so can it be deinstalled and
>> reinstalled without losing  it's data base content? If not, then She can contact Netlabs to ask them  for support of this
>> vital program - She want to "hot up" WSeB with  modern software like ACPI, AHCI, GenMac or MultiMac, the new FAT32
>> IFS,  the latest DaniS506 package and perhaps other stuff so that it will  function properly on the new box - so much is
>> tied up with WSeB, so She  wants to run it as the primary OS and also having eCs 2.1 and eCs 2.1  Business Edition (got
>> it for free plus the regkey by a guy at Mensys).  And a decent backup program that's visible both in WSeB AND at least
>> on  of the eCs'es so She can do a restore if WSeB bombs so hard that only a  restore of the latest fresh backup will cure
>> it, doing it from one of  the eCs'es. She hav learned the hard way why backup/restore is needed.  When She worked on
>
>  Warpin, never use it directly. Use WpiView which extracts files from .wpi and move files wherever desired.  
>
>  datbas_D.ini is the database for Warpin, copy it over should work.
>
>  Backup apps have 2, plus 2 more have not tested yet. Give an example of how you wish to backup, describing target and
> source.
>
>         Cal
>
>

On the migration tack: Which parameters can SMPMW118 be invoked with?
She need the whole set of them. She will go the route of firing up
SMPMW118 in offline mode and bring up the Profile manager. In another
OS/2 session, fire up SMPMW118 in offline mode, having set
MOZILLA_HOME=R:\MOZILLA.ORG\MOZILLA, then bring up the profile manager
and creating the new profile Brekke with the desired settings. But when
this new profile is created, how does one migrate the Adress Book and
Mail&Newsgroups, i.e. which parameters must be entered to do the job?


Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 24th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
        Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)
        Team eCs       e-mail:  [hidden email]   (Alternate)
        Team DRW       Dare Refuse Windows
        Chunkawakan    Lakota/Sioux: Horse
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2