Re: latest firefox for Win2000?

keith nuttle
On 6/18/2012 3:12 PM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> James Moe wrote:
>
>>    Given that one reason MS dropped support of Win2k is that it was a
>> security disaster. Likely any browser issues will pale to insignificance
>> next to the OS issues.
>
> Given that Win2000 was state of the art (for Microsoft) from 1999 until
> the "prettier" XP SP1 was released, I'll say it was not a security
> disaster. I used it for seven years before I switched to Linux, and never
> once had any kind of security problem. Some say (still) that it was the
> best OS that Microsoft ever issued. And support continued through 2010.
>
> As with today's Windows versions, users then and now are still being
> infected by shooting themselves in the foot.
>
> Follow-up set to mozilla.general

Window XP SP3 an updated Windows SP1 is still suppported and will be for
a couple of more years.  Then it too will be tossed out.

Re: latest firefox for Win2000?

James Moe-3
On 06/18/2012 12:12 PM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

>>   Given that one reason MS dropped support of Win2k is that it was a
>> security disaster. Likely any browser issues will pale to insignificance
>> next to the OS issues.
>
> Given that Win2000 was state of the art (for Microsoft) from 1999 until
> the "prettier" XP SP1 was released, I'll say it was not a security
> disaster. I used it for seven years before I switched to Linux, and never
> once had any kind of security problem. Some say (still) that it was the
> best OS that Microsoft ever issued. And support continued through 2010.

  I never had a security problem with it either. But then, I always had
at least one firewall in place, and practice safe browsing/email.
  I just remember being surprised that MS was so candid about the
security problems of win2000: there were so many issues that could not
be fixed without a major overhaul. Which is what winXP was.

--
James Moe
jmm-list at sohnen-moe dot com

Re: latest firefox for Win2000?

kelly-49
On Jun 18, 10:47 pm, Keith Nuttle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/18/2012 3:12 PM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>

> > James Moe wrote:
>
> >>    Given that one reason MS dropped support of Win2k is that it was a
> >> security disaster. Likely any browser issues will pale to insignificance
> >> next to the OS issues.
>
> > Given that Win2000 was state of the art (for Microsoft) from 1999 until
> > the "prettier" XP SP1 was released, I'll say it was not a security
> > disaster. I used it for seven years before I switched to Linux, and never
> > once had any kind of security problem. Some say (still) that it was the
> > best OS that Microsoft ever issued. And support continued through 2010.
>
> > As with today's Windows versions, users then and now are still being
> > infected by shooting themselves in the foot.
>
> > Follow-up set to mozilla.general
>
> Window XP SP3 an updated Windows SP1 is still suppported and will be for
> a couple of more years.  Then it too will be tossed out.

..and this info came from????

Re: latest firefox for Win2000?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty
kelly wrote:

> Keith Nuttle wrote:
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>>>
>>> Given that Win2000 was state of the art (for Microsoft) from 1999
>>> until the "prettier" XP SP1 was released, I'll say it was not a
>>> security disaster. I used it for seven years before I switched to
>>> Linux, and never once had any kind of security problem. Some say
>>> (still) that it was the best OS that Microsoft ever issued. And
>>> support continued through 2010.
>>>
>>> As with today's Windows versions, users then and now are still being
>>> infected by shooting themselves in the foot.
>>>
>>> Follow-up set to mozilla.general
>>
>> Window XP SP3 an updated Windows SP1 is still suppported and will be
>> for a couple of more years.  Then it too will be tossed out.
>
> ..and this info came from????

What info? That XP will only be supported for a short while? Google can
tell you.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#Support_lifecycle>

"On April 8, 2014, all support for Windows XP, including security updates
and hotfixes, will be terminated."

--
   -bts

Re: latest firefox for Win2000?

kelly-49
On Jun 21, 11:01 am, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> kelly wrote:
> > Keith Nuttle wrote:

> >> Window XP SP3 an updated Windows SP1 is still suppported and will be
> >> for a couple of more years.  Then it too will be tossed out.
>
> > ..and this info came from????
>
> What info? That XP will only be supported for a short while? Google can
> tell you.
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#Support_lifecycle>
>
> "On April 8, 2014, all support for Windows XP, including security updates
> and hotfixes, will be terminated."
>
> --
>    -bts
>    -This space for rent, but the price is high

...and you..of ALL people..believe in Santa Claus?

kelly wrote:

> On Jun 21, 11:01 am, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> kelly wrote:

>> > ..and this info came from????
>>
>> What info? That XP will only be supported for a short while? Google can
>> tell you.
>>
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#Support_lifecycle>
>>
>> "On April 8, 2014, all support for Windows XP, including security
>> updates and hotfixes, will be terminated."
>
> ...and you..of ALL people..believe in Santa Claus?

Of course!  Don't you?

Besides that, what is your point?  You should soon be considering
upgrading as you are using XP, and Firefox 8.

--
   -bts