Re: audio from mozilla

os24u
** Reply to note from [hidden email] Sun, 09 Feb 2014 12:00:16 -0800

> Message: 7 Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 09:39:30 -0600 From: "Christer Jacobsson" <[hidden email]>
>
> Does extensions to the normal MMOS2 classes exist which would enable MMOS2 / DIVE to play more sound
> formats than the current .wav, for example .mp3 and .flac sound formats? If so, it would be nice to
> able to have SMPmW118, 2.1 and 2.7.2 playing other sound formats, i.e. mail announcement sounds. Ditto
> for using 'mppm <filename>.mp3 to play a .mp3 file.

 ECS has .ogg and .flac included. Mp3 part available from Hobbes. All this from Darwin O'Connor's
audiopak which you would use for OS/2.

 Instead of MMPM are 2 alternatives of qplay.exe. Plays without showing a window. For mp3 without
installing classes, could use mpg123.exe <file>. Set that as helper in moz.

        Cal

Re: audio from mozilla

Christer Jacobsson
On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 08:17:25 UTC, [hidden email] wrote:

> ** Reply to note from [hidden email] Sun, 09 Feb 2014 12:00:16 -0800
>
> > Message: 7 Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 09:39:30 -0600 From: "Christer Jacobsson" <[hidden email]>
> >
> > Does extensions to the normal MMOS2 classes exist which would enable MMOS2 / DIVE to play more sound
> > formats than the current .wav, for example .mp3 and .flac sound formats? If so, it would be nice to
> > able to have SMPmW118, 2.1 and 2.7.2 playing other sound formats, i.e. mail announcement sounds. Ditto
> > for using 'mppm <filename>.mp3 to play a .mp3 file.
>
>  ECS has .ogg and .flac included. Mp3 part available from Hobbes. All this from Darwin O'Connor's
> audiopak which you would use for OS/2.
>
>  Instead of MMPM are 2 alternatives of qplay.exe. Plays without showing a window. For mp3 without
> installing classes, could use mpg123.exe <file>. Set that as helper in moz.

Do we have a newer version of mpg123.exe than the one found on hobbes
namely the 0.59rc-os2a (1999-Aug-31) and if so, where can it be found?
Myself I'm using mpg123.exe in detached mode in startup.cmd to play a
startup melody (I hae a lot of them inserted in the file but all except
the current one I want to hear is rem'ed out, so only one mpg123 player
is active during startup.cmd processing. I also have an OS/2 FS session
dedicated to mpg123 where I have inputted 'mpg123.exe -v -E
g:\os2ut\equalize.dat -@ -' and when the mpg123 in startup is finished I
just press Enter and mpg123 starts, waiting for input through the
keyboard. Naturally, before the invocation statement for mpg123.exe in
this FS session I would have jumped to the y:\sound dir where must of my
music is stored - no hassle inputting cat/file strings, just type the
<file name>.mp3 and mpg123 will play that file immediately. When
finished it will wait for the next input..... :-)

But I'v also have pm123.exe running at the desktop because sometimes the
FS mpg123.exe won't play, then I can easily fallback to pm123 and play
the desired music.

And no, mpg123.exe is not slow on my system with an 800MHz P-III and
640Mib of RAM.

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 18th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
       Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)

Re: audio from mozilla

Dave Yeo-3
Christer Jacobsson wrote:
> Do we have a newer version of mpg123.exe than the one found on hobbes
> namely the 0.59rc-os2a (1999-Aug-31) and if so, where can it be found?

Something is broken in the OS/2 audio code in current versions of mpg123
and I don't have the skills to fix it.
Z! is another decent mp3 player
Dave

Re: audio from mozilla

Christer Jacobsson
On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 08:17:25 UTC, [hidden email] wrote:

> ** Reply to note from [hidden email] Sun, 09 Feb 2014 12:00:16 -0800
>
> > Message: 7 Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 09:39:30 -0600 From: "Christer Jacobsson" <[hidden email]>
> >
> > Does extensions to the normal MMOS2 classes exist which would enable MMOS2 / DIVE to play more sound
> > formats than the current .wav, for example .mp3 and .flac sound formats? If so, it would be nice to
> > able to have SMPmW118, 2.1 and 2.7.2 playing other sound formats, i.e. mail announcement sounds. Ditto
> > for using 'mppm <filename>.mp3 to play a .mp3 file.
>
>  ECS has .ogg and .flac included. Mp3 part available from Hobbes. All this from Darwin O'Connor's
> audiopak which you would use for OS/2.

Where can I get this audiopak? It doesn't exist on hobbes as far as I
can see.

>  Instead of MMPM are 2 alternatives of qplay.exe. Plays without showing a window. For mp3 without
> installing classes, could use mpg123.exe <file>. Set that as helper in moz.

Qplay - now where can I get it? I suppose that it is not a quickmotion
player like the old QuickFlick (qf.exe)? Perhaps Mplayer can play
quickmotion files, but where do I get the codecs it needs - no codecs is
distributed in the Mplayer package.

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 18th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
       Team OS/2      e-mail:  [hidden email] (Primary)
       Team eCs       e-mail:  [hidden email]   (Alternate)
       Team DRW       Dare Refuse Windows
       Chunkawakan    Lakota/Sioux: Horse

Re: audio from mozilla

Steve Wendt
On 2/12/2014 1:08 PM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:

> Perhaps Mplayer can play quickmotion files, but where do I get the
> codecs it needs - no codecs is distributed in the Mplayer package.

Codecs are Win32 binaries, and thus need Odin to be installed; download
can be found on the MPlayer site:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html
ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/windows-essential-20071007.zip

Re: audio from mozilla

Dave Yeo-3

http://doconnor.homeip.net/mmos2/index.htm also see his brothers work at
http://r6.ca/MMAudioPak/

>>   Instead of MMPM are 2 alternatives of qplay.exe. Plays without showing a window. For mp3 without
>> installing classes, could use mpg123.exe<file>. Set that as helper in moz.
>>

> Qplay - now where can I get it?

Not sure

> I suppose that it is not a quickmotion
> player like the old QuickFlick (qf.exe)?

No

> Perhaps Mplayer can play
> quickmotion files, but where do I get the codecs it needs - no codecs is
> distributed in the Mplayer package.

Generally you don't need codecs with MPlayer as it uses FFMpeg which has
reverse engineered most codecs.
Dave

Re: audio from mozilla

Dave Yeo-3
Steve Wendt wrote:

> On 2/12/2014 1:08 PM, Christer Jacobsson wrote:
>
>> Perhaps Mplayer can play quickmotion files, but where do I get the
>> codecs it needs - no codecs is distributed in the Mplayer package.
>
> Codecs are Win32 binaries, and thus need Odin to be installed; download
> can be found on the MPlayer site:
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html
> ftp://ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/windows-essential-20071007.zip

MPlayer has its own PE loader as well as minimal Wine so Odin isn't
required as far as I know. Generally the Win32 codecs aren't needed
either as MPlayer includes FFmpeg.
Dave

Re: audio from mozilla

Steve Wendt
On 2/12/2014 3:06 PM, Dave Yeo wrote:

> MPlayer has its own PE loader as well as minimal Wine so Odin isn't
> required as far as I know.

That's right... I was thinking of the MPlayer-derived hack, WarpVision.

> Generally the Win32 codecs aren't needed either as MPlayer includes FFmpeg.

Certainly the common codecs have support built in; it's usually the
oddball ones that need the Win32 binaries.