Re: api to indicate where an AT user is operating

Re: api to indicate where an AT user is operating

Richard Schwerdtfeger

I was on a call today with an ATV and it was requested whether if there
would be support for an accessibility API That would allow an assistive
technology to tell an application, such as a browser, to render on the
display where the AT User was operating such as in the case of their
operating the virtual buffer.  Typically, browser manufacturers do not want
in assistive technology having control over what might be rendered in the
browser so  I don't know whether this will garner a positive response. That
said, I agree to post the request to this discussion. I look forward to
your response.

thanks,
Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger

Re: api to indicate where an AT user is operating

Trevor Saunders
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 02:24:46PM -0600, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:

> I was on a call today with an ATV and it was requested whether if there
> would be support for an accessibility API That would allow an assistive
> technology to tell an application, such as a browser, to render on the
> display where the AT User was operating such as in the case of their
> operating the virtual buffer.  Typically, browser manufacturers do not want

Since you discuss virtual buffers I'll guess we are talking about
windows here.  So why can't they use IAccessible2::scrollTo() and
IAccessible2::scrollToPoint()?  Which we implement.

I'd be willing to consider implementing other API's for changing
what's displayed, but I tend to think the IA2 or other a11y interface
list is the appropriate place to discuss adding new APIs.

Trev

> in assistive technology having control over what might be rendered in the
> browser so  I don't know whether this will garner a positive response. That
> said, I agree to post the request to this discussion. I look forward to
> your response.
>
> thanks,
> Rich
>

> Rich Schwerdtfeger

Re: api to indicate where an AT user is operating

David Bolter-3
Is the concern that browsers are using hardware acceleration, and/or APIs
that don't allow screen readers to hook in at a low level?

It would be hard to maintain and support modes that are not progressive.

Cheers,
David

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I was on a call today with an ATV and it was requested whether if there
> would be support for an accessibility API That would allow an assistive
> technology to tell an application, such as a browser, to render on the
> display where the AT User was operating such as in the case of their
> operating the virtual buffer.  Typically, browser manufacturers do not want
> in assistive technology having control over what might be rendered in the
> browser so  I don't know whether this will garner a positive response. That
> said, I agree to post the request to this discussion. I look forward to
> your response.
>
> thanks,
> Rich
>

> Rich Schwerdtfeger

Re: api to indicate where an AT user is operating

Richard Schwerdtfeger

It was requested that the browser show a physical rendering of the user's
location. Nothing to do with hardware.

Rich Schwerdtfeger

From: david bolter <[hidden email]>
To: Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
Cc: [hidden email], Matthew
            King/Fishkill/IBM@IBMUS
Date: 01/16/2012 02:50 PM
Subject: Re: api to indicate where an AT user is operating

wrote:

[...]

Okay that helps my understanding, thanks. I think I agree with Trevor's
earlier response. Thoughts?

Cheers,
David

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 5:02 PM, Matthew King <[hidden email]> wrote:

> David, the simplest example is giving a screen reader the ability to
> visually indicate where the screen reader is reading.
> There are a wide variety of use cases for such functionality.
>
> Matt King
> IBM Senior Technical Staff Member
> I/T Chief Accessibility Strategist
> IBM BT/CIO - Global Workforce and Web Process Enablement
> Phone: (503) 578-2329, Tie line: 731-7398
> [hidden email]
>

> Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM
> 01/16/2012 01:09 PM

> david bolter <[hidden email]>
> cc
> [hidden email], Matthew King/Fishkill/IBM@IBMUS
> Subject
> Re: api to indicate where an AT user is operating
>

> It was requested that the browser show a physical rendering of the user's
> location. Nothing to do with hardware.
>
> Rich Schwerdtfeger
>

> From:   david bolter <[hidden email]>
> To:     Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
> Cc:     [hidden email], Matthew
> King/Fishkill/IBM@IBMUS
> Date:   01/16/2012 02:50 PM
> Subject:        Re: api to indicate where an AT user is operating
>

> Is the concern that browsers are using hardware acceleration, and/or APIs
> that don't allow screen readers to hook in at a low level?
>
> It would be hard to maintain and support modes that are not progressive.
>
> Cheers,
> David
>
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> I was on a call today with an ATV and it was requested whether if there
> would be support for an accessibility API That would allow an assistive
> technology to tell an application, such as a browser, to render on the
> display where the AT User was operating such as in the case of their
> operating the virtual buffer.  Typically, browser manufacturers do not
> want
> in assistive technology having control over what might be rendered in the
> browser so  I don't know whether this will garner a positive response.
> That
> said, I agree to post the request to this discussion. I look forward to
> your response.
>
> thanks,
> Rich
>

> Rich Schwerdtfeger

Re: api to indicate where an AT user is operating

Richard Schwerdtfeger

Thanks Trevor.

To Matt:
Is it fine enough granularity Matt? Do you think you have to highlight an
object you are looking at?

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger

From: Trevor Saunders <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email],
Date: 01/16/2012 02:41 PM
Sent by: dev-accessibility-bounces+schwer=[hidden email]