Re: Wi-Fi warping wallpaper hardens homes to hackers • reghardware

Re: Wi-Fi warping wallpaper hardens homes to hackers • reghardware

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Dave Warren graced us with on
5/13/2012 10:00 PM:

> In the last episode of <[hidden email]>,
> Sailfish <[hidden email]> said:
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Dave Warren graced us with on
>> 5/13/2012 1:13 PM:
>>> So you'd benefit from wifi absorbing/blocking wallpaper since it would
>>> let you have a strong signal within your boundaries but not have signal
>>> range outside that point.
>>>
>>> As an added benefit, for those of us that live in denser urban areas,
>>> this would help to reduce the interference from nearby wireless
>>> networks, a problem that will only get worse as your neighbours get high
>>> range access points and neighbours from further away start to battle
>>> with your network for wireless spectrum.
>> Which begs the question of how one can enjoy their backyard lounging
>> amenities and still be able to surf the net. Wait! I know.
>
> If doing so is important to you, then this is not the product for you.
> If you can't figure that out on your own, you're probably not qualified
> to run a wireless network anyway.

Yeah, I determined that for reasons other than no outside coverage :)

> It's less needed in houses, it's more needed in apartments, condos, and
> offices.

Offices maybe, all the rest can be more easily and inexpensively
safeguarded using the built in password encryption and MAC filtering.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Wi-Fi warping wallpaper hardens homes to hackers • reghardware

Ron Hunter
On 5/14/2012 12:00 AM, Dave Warren wrote:

> In the last episode of <[hidden email]>,
> Sailfish <[hidden email]> said:
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Dave Warren graced us with on
>> 5/13/2012 1:13 PM:
>>>
>>> So you'd benefit from wifi absorbing/blocking wallpaper since it would
>>> let you have a strong signal within your boundaries but not have signal
>>> range outside that point.
>>>
>>> As an added benefit, for those of us that live in denser urban areas,
>>> this would help to reduce the interference from nearby wireless
>>> networks, a problem that will only get worse as your neighbours get high
>>> range access points and neighbours from further away start to battle
>>> with your network for wireless spectrum.
>>
>> Which begs the question of how one can enjoy their backyard lounging
>> amenities and still be able to surf the net. Wait! I know.
>
> If doing so is important to you, then this is not the product for you.
> If you can't figure that out on your own, you're probably not qualified
> to run a wireless network anyway.
>
> It's less needed in houses, it's more needed in apartments, condos, and
> offices.

I can certainly see how offices would be interested in this,
apartments/condos, maybe.  For the average house, probably not an
advantage, and for rural folks, not something that would be to their
advantage.  That said, there are a LOT of offices, apartments, and
condos....

Re: Wi-Fi warping wallpaper hardens homes to hackers • reghardware

Tarkus-3
On 5/13/2012 1:40 PM, GerardJan wrote:
> Micro-soft with all their grace forces you to use WiFi in `g' mode,
> blast !@#$
> My Fedora16 does `n', blasting fast upto 700Kbytes/sec

Huh?

Re: Wi-Fi warping wallpaper hardens homes to hackers • reghardware

David H. Lipman-2
From: "Tarkus" <[hidden email]>

> On 5/13/2012 1:40 PM, GerardJan wrote:
>> Micro-soft with all their grace forces you to use WiFi in `g' mode,
>> blast !@#$
>> My Fedora16 does `n', blasting fast upto 700Kbytes/sec
>
> Huh?

They guy is of his meds.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Re: Wi-Fi warping wallpaper hardens homes to hackers • reghardware

Dave Warren-2
Sailfish <[hidden email]> said:

>My bloviated meandering follows what Dave Warren graced us with on
>5/13/2012 10:00 PM:
>> It's less needed in houses, it's more needed in apartments, condos, and
>> offices.
>
>Offices maybe, all the rest can be more easily and inexpensively
>safeguarded using the built in password encryption and MAC filtering.

It's not just about safeguarding, it's also about giving you clear
wireless spectrum rather than competing with your neighbours for
spectrum in high density areas.

Re: Wi-Fi warping wallpaper hardens homes to hackers • reghardware

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Dave Warren graced us with on
5/14/2012 9:44 PM:

> In the last episode of <-[hidden email]>,
> Sailfish <[hidden email]> said:
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Dave Warren graced us with on
>> 5/13/2012 10:00 PM:
>>> It's less needed in houses, it's more needed in apartments, condos, and
>>> offices.
>> Offices maybe, all the rest can be more easily and inexpensively
>> safeguarded using the built in password encryption and MAC filtering.
>
> It's not just about safeguarding, it's also about giving you clear
> wireless spectrum rather than competing with your neighbours for
> spectrum in high density areas.

Perhaps but how many landlords are going to pay for this type of
shielding; especially if it turns out that their occupants will start
complaining about no balcony or back yard access?