Re: Wi-Fi warping wallpaper hardens homes to hackers • reghardware

Re: Wi-Fi warping wallpaper hardens homes to hackers • reghardware

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what David graced us with on 5/11/2012
12:28 PM:
> <http://www.reghardware.com/2012/05/10/wifi_blocking_wallpaper_houses_homes_from_hackers/>
>
> I gotta' get some of this.  :-)

That is cool but way too much work for my geekdom :)

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Wi-Fi warping wallpaper hardens homes to hackers • reghardware

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what David H. Lipman graced us with on
5/11/2012 1:19 PM:

> From: "David" <[hidden email]>
>
>> <http://www.reghardware.com/2012/05/10/wifi_blocking_wallpaper_houses_homes_from_hackers/>
>>

>> I gotta' get some of this.  :-)
>
> Just secure the bloody WiFi.
>
> Don't announce SSID.
> Use a Strong Password
> Use WPA2 AES encryption.

and MAC filtering. Even so, this won't prevent an expert from hacking
your wireless but, honestly, an expert thinking it worthwhile hacking my
wireless is one who has more than a few screws loose.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Wi-Fi warping wallpaper hardens homes to hackers • reghardware

s|b-2
On Fri, 11 May 2012 13:57:00 -0700, Sailfish wrote:

> and MAC filtering. Even so, this won't prevent an expert from hacking
> your wireless but, honestly, an expert thinking it worthwhile hacking my
> wireless is one who has more than a few screws loose.

It's funny because it's true. :-)

--
s|b

Re: Wi-Fi warping wallpaper hardens homes to hackers • reghardware

Dave Warren-2
In the last episode of
<[hidden email]>, David
<[hidden email]> said:

><http://www.reghardware.com/2012/05/10/wifi_blocking_wallpaper_houses_homes_from_hackers/>
>
>I gotta' get some of this.  :-)

Just wait for the first guy to install it on his internal walls, then
bitch that his wireless router doesn't work.

Re: Wi-Fi warping wallpaper hardens homes to hackers • reghardware

David Boles-2
On 5/11/2012 6:59 PM, Dave Warren wrote:

> In the last episode of
> <[hidden email]>, David
> <[hidden email]> said:
>
>> <http://www.reghardware.com/2012/05/10/wifi_blocking_wallpaper_houses_homes_from_hackers/>
>>
>> I gotta' get some of this.  :-)
>
> Just wait for the first guy to install it on his internal walls, then
> bitch that his wireless router doesn't work.

You do *know* that will happen? Imagine the call to product support.   :-P

--

  David

Re: Wi-Fi warping wallpaper hardens homes to hackers • reghardware

Ron Hunter
On 5/11/2012 3:57 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what David H. Lipman graced us with on
> 5/11/2012 1:19 PM:
>> From: "David" <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> <http://www.reghardware.com/2012/05/10/wifi_blocking_wallpaper_houses_homes_from_hackers/>
>>>

>>> I gotta' get some of this.  :-)
>>
>> Just secure the bloody WiFi.
>>
>> Don't announce SSID.
>> Use a Strong Password
>> Use WPA2 AES encryption.
>>
> and MAC filtering. Even so, this won't prevent an expert from hacking
> your wireless but, honestly, an expert thinking it worthwhile hacking my
> wireless is one who has more than a few screws loose.

Same here.  Gone are the days when my phone was tapped by KGB and FBI...
  Thank God.

Re: Wi-Fi warping wallpaper hardens homes to hackers • reghardware

F1Com
On 5/11/2012 1:57 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard

> My bloviated meandering follows what David H. Lipman graced us with on
> 5/11/2012 1:19 PM:
>> From: "David"<[hidden email]>
>>
>>> <http://www.reghardware.com/2012/05/10/wifi_blocking_wallpaper_houses_homes_from_hackers/>
>>>

>>> I gotta' get some of this.  :-)
>> Just secure the bloody WiFi.
>>
>> Don't announce SSID.
>> Use a Strong Password
>> Use WPA2 AES encryption.
>>
> and MAC filtering. Even so, this won't prevent an expert from hacking
> your wireless but, honestly, an expert thinking it worthwhile hacking my
> wireless is one who has more than a few screws loose.

As is the case with most users. ;-)

Terry

Re: Wi-Fi warping wallpaper hardens homes to hackers • reghardware

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what [hidden email] graced us
with on 5/11/2012 6:12 PM:

> On 5/11/2012 1:57 PM On a whim, Sailfish pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what David H. Lipman graced us with on
>> 5/11/2012 1:19 PM:
>>> From: "David"<[hidden email]>

>>> Just secure the bloody WiFi.
>>>
>>> Don't announce SSID.
>>> Use a Strong Password
>>> Use WPA2 AES encryption.
>>>
>> and MAC filtering. Even so, this won't prevent an expert from hacking
>> your wireless but, honestly, an expert thinking it worthwhile hacking my
>> wireless is one who has more than a few screws loose.
>>

> As is the case with most users. ;-)

ah-yep :_)

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Wi-Fi warping wallpaper hardens homes to hackers • reghardware

Sailfish-2
5/11/2012 6:11 PM:

> On 5/11/2012 3:57 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what David H. Lipman graced us with on
>> 5/11/2012 1:19 PM:
>>> From: "David" <[hidden email]>

>>> Just secure the bloody WiFi.
>>>
>>> Don't announce SSID.
>>> Use a Strong Password
>>> Use WPA2 AES encryption.
>>>
>> and MAC filtering. Even so, this won't prevent an expert from hacking
>> your wireless but, honestly, an expert thinking it worthwhile hacking my
>> wireless is one who has more than a few screws loose.
>>
> Same here.  Gone are the days when my phone was tapped by KGB and FBI...
>  Thank God.

I actually warranted a telephone pole camera installation pointing
directly into my back yard not 20 feet away when I worked in the Skunk
Works. I never cared since my non-work life was fairly boring :)

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Wi-Fi warping wallpaper hardens homes to hackers • reghardware

David H. Lipman-2
From: "Sailfish" <[hidden email]>

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
> 5/11/2012 6:11 PM:
>> On 5/11/2012 3:57 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what David H. Lipman graced us with on
>>> 5/11/2012 1:19 PM:

>>> and MAC filtering. Even so, this won't prevent an expert from hacking
>>> your wireless but, honestly, an expert thinking it worthwhile hacking my
>>> wireless is one who has more than a few screws loose.
>>>
>> Same here.  Gone are the days when my phone was tapped by KGB and FBI...
>> Thank God.
>>
> I actually warranted a telephone pole camera installation pointing
> directly into my back yard not 20 feet away when I worked in the Skunk
> Works. I never cared since my non-work life was fairly boring :)

Yeah but did Kelly's people tell 'ya about the TEMPEST monitoring ?  ;-)

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Re: Wi-Fi warping wallpaper hardens homes to hackers • reghardware

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what David H. Lipman graced us with on
5/11/2012 7:18 PM:

> From: "Sailfish" <[hidden email]>
>
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on

>>> Same here.  Gone are the days when my phone was tapped by KGB and
>>> FBI... Thank God.
>>>
>> I actually warranted a telephone pole camera installation pointing
>> directly into my back yard not 20 feet away when I worked in the Skunk
>> Works. I never cared since my non-work life was fairly boring :)
>>
> Yeah but did Kelly's people tell 'ya about the TEMPEST monitoring ?  ;-)

nah, all I got from him was a pictured signed by him and Ben :_)

On 5/11/2012 8:19 PM, Sailfish wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Ron Hunter graced us with on
> 5/11/2012 6:11 PM:
>> On 5/11/2012 3:57 PM, Sailfish wrote:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what David H. Lipman graced us with on
>>> 5/11/2012 1:19 PM:

>>> and MAC filtering. Even so, this won't prevent an expert from hacking
>>> your wireless but, honestly, an expert thinking it worthwhile hacking my
>>> wireless is one who has more than a few screws loose.
>>>
>> Same here.  Gone are the days when my phone was tapped by KGB and
>> FBI...  Thank God.
>>
> I actually warranted a telephone pole camera installation pointing
> directly into my back yard not 20 feet away when I worked in the Skunk
> Works. I never cared since my non-work life was fairly boring :)

I guess they wanted to know if you happened to be cooking something nice
on the grill so they could drop in for an inspection...  Grin.

<[hidden email]> said:

>On 5/11/2012 6:59 PM, Dave Warren wrote:
>> In the last episode of
>> <[hidden email]>, David
>> <[hidden email]> said:
>>
>>> <http://www.reghardware.com/2012/05/10/wifi_blocking_wallpaper_houses_homes_from_hackers/>
>>>
>>> I gotta' get some of this.  :-)
>>
>> Just wait for the first guy to install it on his internal walls, then
>> bitch that his wireless router doesn't work.
>

>You do *know* that will happen? Imagine the call to product support.   :-P

I'd willingly take that call too, just to enjoy the beauty.

On 5/12/2012 2:40 AM, Dave Warren wrote:

> In the last episode of
> <[hidden email]>, David
> <[hidden email]> said:
>
>> On 5/11/2012 6:59 PM, Dave Warren wrote:
>>> In the last episode of
>>> <[hidden email]>, David

>>> Just wait for the first guy to install it on his internal walls, then
>>> bitch that his wireless router doesn't work.
>>

>> You do *know* that will happen? Imagine the call to product support.   :-P
>
> I'd willingly take that call too, just to enjoy the beauty.

What a dumb idea!  With router development aimed at increasing range,
just what we DON'T need is to have wallpaper blocking the signals.
Imagine putting that wallpaper on your room that has the router, then
complaining you can't use your laptop, or cell phone outside that room.
  Leave it to the French....
I bought a wireless N router recently for the extra speed, as I consider
the extra range a negative for those of us who live in suburban or urban
areas.  I am sure the people who live in rural areas would consider
extra range a benefit.  But putting up 'fences' as it were to interfere
is a bad idea in my way of thinking.

Ron Hunter <[hidden email]> said:

>What a dumb idea!  With router development aimed at increasing range,
>just what we DON'T need is to have wallpaper blocking the signals.
>Imagine putting that wallpaper on your room that has the router, then
>complaining you can't use your laptop, or cell phone outside that room.
>  Leave it to the French....

The point isn't to wallpaper each room, but rather, to wallpaper the
outer walls where you would want logical network boundaries.

>I bought a wireless N router recently for the extra speed, as I consider
>the extra range a negative for those of us who live in suburban or urban
>areas.

So you'd benefit from wifi absorbing/blocking wallpaper since it would
let you have a strong signal within your boundaries but not have signal
range outside that point.

As an added benefit, for those of us that live in denser urban areas,
this would help to reduce the interference from nearby wireless
networks, a problem that will only get worse as your neighbours get high
range access points and neighbours from further away start to battle
with your network for wireless spectrum.

Re: Wi-Fi warping wallpaper hardens homes to hackers • reghardware

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Dave Warren graced us with on
5/13/2012 1:13 PM:

> In the last episode of <[hidden email]>,
> Ron Hunter <[hidden email]> said:
>
>> What a dumb idea!  With router development aimed at increasing range,
>> just what we DON'T need is to have wallpaper blocking the signals.
>> Imagine putting that wallpaper on your room that has the router, then
>> complaining you can't use your laptop, or cell phone outside that room.
>>  Leave it to the French....
>
> The point isn't to wallpaper each room, but rather, to wallpaper the
> outer walls where you would want logical network boundaries.
>
>> I bought a wireless N router recently for the extra speed, as I consider
>> the extra range a negative for those of us who live in suburban or urban
>> areas.
>
> So you'd benefit from wifi absorbing/blocking wallpaper since it would
> let you have a strong signal within your boundaries but not have signal
> range outside that point.
>
> As an added benefit, for those of us that live in denser urban areas,
> this would help to reduce the interference from nearby wireless
> networks, a problem that will only get worse as your neighbours get high
> range access points and neighbours from further away start to battle
> with your network for wireless spectrum.

Which begs the question of how one can enjoy their backyard lounging
amenities and still be able to surf the net. Wait! I know.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: Wi-Fi warping wallpaper hardens homes to hackers • reghardware

GerardJan-8
Banned User
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

On 5/13/2012 3:13 PM, Dave Warren wrote:

> In the last episode of <[hidden email]>,
> Ron Hunter <[hidden email]> said:
>
>> What a dumb idea!  With router development aimed at increasing range,
>> just what we DON'T need is to have wallpaper blocking the signals.
>> Imagine putting that wallpaper on your room that has the router, then
>> complaining you can't use your laptop, or cell phone outside that room.
>>   Leave it to the French....
>
> The point isn't to wallpaper each room, but rather, to wallpaper the
> outer walls where you would want logical network boundaries.

So, if I wanted to use my computer on my front porch, I would need to
leave the door open, or sit just outside the window?  I am sure the
attenuation of signal would be enough to prevent my niece from using
hers around the pool.

>> I bought a wireless N router recently for the extra speed, as I consider
>> the extra range a negative for those of us who live in suburban or urban
>> areas.
>
> So you'd benefit from wifi absorbing/blocking wallpaper since it would
> let you have a strong signal within your boundaries but not have signal
> range outside that point.

No, for the above-mentioned reasons.  Note that my neighbor accessed my
router while his was being worked on.  Not technically legal, but he has
the same service provider, so I ok'ed it.

> As an added benefit, for those of us that live in denser urban areas,
> this would help to reduce the interference from nearby wireless
> networks, a problem that will only get worse as your neighbours get high
> range access points and neighbours from further away start to battle
> with your network for wireless spectrum.

Re: Wi-Fi warping wallpaper hardens homes to hackers • reghardware

Ron Hunter
On 5/13/2012 3:13 PM, Dave Warren wrote:
> As an added benefit, for those of us that live in denser urban areas,
> this would help to reduce the interference from nearby wireless
> networks, a problem that will only get worse as your neighbours get high
> range access points and neighbours from further away start to battle
> with your network for wireless spectrum.

I can pick up wi-fi from my closest neighbor, and the lady who lives
across the street.  Both have good encryption on their router.  My niece
who lives in a Chicago suburb says she has usable signal strength from 5
routers, other than hers.  There is some merit to that idea in urban
areas, and prosperous suburbs.

Sailfish <[hidden email]> said:

>My bloviated meandering follows what Dave Warren graced us with on
>5/13/2012 1:13 PM:
>>
>> So you'd benefit from wifi absorbing/blocking wallpaper since it would
>> let you have a strong signal within your boundaries but not have signal
>> range outside that point.
>>
>> As an added benefit, for those of us that live in denser urban areas,
>> this would help to reduce the interference from nearby wireless
>> networks, a problem that will only get worse as your neighbours get high
>> range access points and neighbours from further away start to battle
>> with your network for wireless spectrum.
>
>Which begs the question of how one can enjoy their backyard lounging
>amenities and still be able to surf the net. Wait! I know.

If doing so is important to you, then this is not the product for you.
If you can't figure that out on your own, you're probably not qualified
to run a wireless network anyway.

It's less needed in houses, it's more needed in apartments, condos, and
offices.