Re: Where to post image of screenshot?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
132 messages Options
1234 ... 7
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where to post image of screenshot?

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
"Terry R." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The date and time was Saturday, June 20, 2009 12:46:48 PM, and on a
> whim, Chris Ilias pounded out on the keyboard:
>
> > On 20/06/09 9:04 AM, Don Nickell wrote:  
> >> Where can I post a screenshot?  I tried on the MS Screenshot site
> >> but it appears that NG is dead, last message is dated on April 20
> >> by Dan. I tried MS Test but no go. Sigh...  
> >
> > A lot of people these days are using <http://www.grabup.com/>,
> > which will automatically upload your image and put the URL in your
> > clipboard.
> >
> > You can also try <http://www.screencast.com/>, which also supports
> > screencasts.
> >
> > Both are free.
>
> But why isn't screenshots working?  I would have expected an
> explanation from you.

I don't know why you'd expect an explanation from Chris, since Chris has
never been involved with that group.  As you well know, Dan has been the
list owner and moderator of the group ever since it was set up. You can
find current discussions in mozilla.general with Dan trying to
troubleshoot the problem, which he just learned about.  I've set
followups to there.

--
»Q«
     Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where to post image of screenshot?

user-41
On 20.06.2009 21:56, »Q« wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> "Terry R." <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The date and time was Saturday, June 20, 2009 12:46:48 PM, and on a
>> whim, Chris Ilias pounded out on the keyboard:
>>
>> > On 20/06/09 9:04 AM, Don Nickell wrote:  
>> >> Where can I post a screenshot?  I tried on the MS Screenshot site
>> >> but it appears that NG is dead, last message is dated on April 20
>> >> by Dan. I tried MS Test but no go. Sigh...  
>> >
>> > A lot of people these days are using <http://www.grabup.com/>,
>> > which will automatically upload your image and put the URL in your
>> > clipboard.
>> >
>> > You can also try <http://www.screencast.com/>, which also supports
>> > screencasts.
>> >
>> > Both are free.
>>
>> But why isn't screenshots working?  I would have expected an
>> explanation from you.
>
> I don't know why you'd expect an explanation from Chris, since Chris has
> never been involved with that group.  As you well know, Dan has been the
> list owner and moderator of the group ever since it was set up. You can
> find current discussions in mozilla.general with Dan trying to
> troubleshoot the problem, which he just learned about.  I've set
> followups to there.
>

It would seem to me that a "moderator", being a step above the "user" so
to speak, and being part of the management team should know or at least
have the wherewithall to know and/or inquire and report back to the group.

"Not my job" is unacceptable.

/xo
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where to post image of screenshot?

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
user <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20.06.2009 21:56, »Q« wrote:
>
> > As you well know, Dan has been the list owner and moderator of the
> > group ever since it was set up. You can find current discussions in
> > mozilla.general with Dan trying to troubleshoot the problem, which
> > he just learned about.  I've set followups to there.
>
> It would seem to me that a "moderator", being a step above the "user"
> so to speak, and being part of the management team should know or at
> least have the wherewithall to know and/or inquire and report back to
> the group.
>
> "Not my job" is unacceptable.

Are you having some trouble contacting Dan with your questions or are
you just whining for the sake of whining?

--
»Q«                                                              /"\
                                      ASCII Ribbon Campaign      \ /
                                       against html e-mail        X
                                     <http://asciiribbon.org/>   / \
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where to post image of screenshot?

Dennis-77
»Q« wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 20.06.2009 21:56, »Q« wrote:
>>
>>> As you well know, Dan has been the list owner and moderator of the
>>> group ever since it was set up. You can find current discussions in
>>> mozilla.general with Dan trying to troubleshoot the problem, which
>>> he just learned about.  I've set followups to there.
>> It would seem to me that a "moderator", being a step above the "user"
>> so to speak, and being part of the management team should know or at
>> least have the wherewithall to know and/or inquire and report back to
>> the group.
>>
>> "Not my job" is unacceptable.
>
> Are you having some trouble contacting Dan with your questions or are
> you just whining for the sake of whining?
>

Hmmm, sounded more to me like he was pointing out the inept way of
handling things, the lack of insight, and the lack of ability to
complete the job that a "moderator" such as yourselves, Q and Chris,
would be expected to know and do. I took his comments to be referring to
your (Q's and Chris') conduct in this thread and nothing to do with Dan
or the screenshots group.

Dennis
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where to post image of screenshot?

user-41
In reply to this post by »Q«
On 21.06.2009 14:08, »Q« wrote:

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 20.06.2009 21:56, »Q« wrote:
>>
>> > As you well know, Dan has been the list owner and moderator of the
>> > group ever since it was set up. You can find current discussions in
>> > mozilla.general with Dan trying to troubleshoot the problem, which
>> > he just learned about.  I've set followups to there.
>>
>> It would seem to me that a "moderator", being a step above the "user"
>> so to speak, and being part of the management team should know or at
>> least have the wherewithall to know and/or inquire and report back to
>> the group.
>>
>> "Not my job" is unacceptable.
>
> Are you having some trouble contacting Dan with your questions or are
> you just whining for the sake of whining?
>

It wasn't a question but rather an observation, I wasn't seeking a reply
from Dan but rather was posting a reply to your entry. Since Dan has
been posting here in .general I think he'll be most happy to respond as
well maybe. You must be employed by the COE or something similar,
typical response.

/xo - headed back to Texas shortly.

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where to post image of screenshot?

»Q«
In reply to this post by Dennis-77
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Dennis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> »Q« wrote:
> > In <news:[hidden email]>,
> > user <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >  
> >> On 20.06.2009 21:56, »Q« wrote:
> >>  
> >>> As you well know, Dan has been the list owner and moderator of the
> >>> group ever since it was set up. You can find current discussions
> >>> in mozilla.general with Dan trying to troubleshoot the problem,
> >>> which he just learned about.  I've set followups to there.  
> >> It would seem to me that a "moderator", being a step above the
> >> "user" so to speak, and being part of the management team should
> >> know or at least have the wherewithall to know and/or inquire and
> >> report back to the group.
> >>
> >> "Not my job" is unacceptable.  
> >
> > Are you having some trouble contacting Dan with your questions or
> > are you just whining for the sake of whining?
>
> Hmmm, sounded more to me like he was pointing out the inept way of
> handling things, the lack of insight, and the lack of ability to
> complete the job that a "moderator" such as yourselves, Q and Chris,
> would be expected to know and do.

Thanks to both you and "Xavier" for explaining something of the reasons
for your whining, though I'm not sure how you arrived at your
expectations.

--
»Q«                                                              /"\
                                      ASCII Ribbon Campaign      \ /
                                       against html e-mail        X
                                     <http://asciiribbon.org/>   / \
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where to post image of screenshot?

Chris Ilias-2
In reply to this post by Dennis-77
On 21/06/09 3:53 PM, Dennis wrote:
> Hmmm, sounded more to me like he was pointing out the inept way of
> handling things, the lack of insight, and the lack of ability to
> complete the job that a "moderator" such as yourselves, Q and Chris,
> would be expected to know and do. I took his comments to be referring to
> your (Q's and Chris') conduct in this thread and nothing to do with Dan
> or the screenshots group.

I'm having one of those moments where I look a thread and think, "What
on earth are they arguing about?" Can we back up a bit here: What kind
of information was expected from me?
--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
List-owner: support-firefox, support-thunderbird, test-multimedia
Keeper of the Knowledge Base: <https://support.mozilla.com/kb/>
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where to post image of screenshot?

Jay Garcia
In reply to this post by »Q«
On 21.06.2009 15:23, »Q« wrote:

  --- Original Message ---

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Dennis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> »Q« wrote:
>> > In <news:[hidden email]>,
>> > user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >  
>> >> On 20.06.2009 21:56, »Q« wrote:
>> >>  
>> >>> As you well know, Dan has been the list owner and moderator of the
>> >>> group ever since it was set up. You can find current discussions
>> >>> in mozilla.general with Dan trying to troubleshoot the problem,
>> >>> which he just learned about.  I've set followups to there.  
>> >> It would seem to me that a "moderator", being a step above the
>> >> "user" so to speak, and being part of the management team should
>> >> know or at least have the wherewithall to know and/or inquire and
>> >> report back to the group.
>> >>
>> >> "Not my job" is unacceptable.  
>> >
>> > Are you having some trouble contacting Dan with your questions or
>> > are you just whining for the sake of whining?
>>
>> Hmmm, sounded more to me like he was pointing out the inept way of
>> handling things, the lack of insight, and the lack of ability to
>> complete the job that a "moderator" such as yourselves, Q and Chris,
>> would be expected to know and do.
>
> Thanks to both you and "Xavier" for explaining something of the reasons
> for your whining, though I'm not sure how you arrived at your
> expectations.
>

Answering yours and Chris's questions:

Unfortunately, Xavier is back in Laredo, TX after spending a week as my
guest here in my home and can't defend his comments at the moment, if
they really need defending. The question was brought up concerning the
.screenshots group and it's perceived inattention because of several
posters comments that their screenshots had not been posted and the fact
that Dan is leaving the forums for who knows how long. The questions
were not answered as to why the screenshots didn't get posted and Xavier
noted that since the moderator crew here is part of
management/administration that they should have inquired and posted back
with helpful suggestions and answers rather than acting uninformed
and/or uncaring, etc. Seems like a few others perceived the same thing.
A simple post by one or more moderators could have been "I'll see what I
can come up with". If I was a moderator here that's what I would do -
make an inquiry to Dave Miller and/or Gerv to see what's up with the
.screenshots group. Tagging this as "whining" is quite rude and
unproductive to say the least.

Dan ... It's not your fault so don't go off the deep end with innuendos,
enjoy your sabbatical. :-)

PS: If anyone cares to know "who" Lt. Commander Xavier Ochoa - USN (ret)
is and our close relationship, email me privately for the story, quite
interesting to say the least, especially if you're a 'nam vet.

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where to post image of screenshot?

Jay Garcia
In reply to this post by »Q«
On 21.06.2009 15:23, »Q« wrote:

  --- Original Message ---

> Thanks to both you and "Xavier" for explaining something of the reasons
> for your whining, though I'm not sure how you arrived at your
> expectations.

Forgot to mention, thanks for at least helping Don with his problem.
That's the way it should be, moderator or not.

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where to post image of screenshot?

Chris Ilias-2
In reply to this post by Jay Garcia
On 21/06/09 10:48 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:
<snip unrelated stuff>
> posters comments that their screenshots had not been posted and the fact
> that Dan is leaving the forums for who knows how long. The questions
> were not answered as to why the screenshots didn't get posted and Xavier
> noted that since the moderator crew here is part of
> management/administration that they should have inquired and posted back
> with helpful suggestions and answers rather than acting uninformed

Do you guys think that Q and I are moderators on the support-screenshots
mailing list?

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
List-owner: support-firefox, support-thunderbird, test-multimedia
Keeper of the Knowledge Base: <https://support.mozilla.com/kb/>
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where to post image of screenshot?

Jay Garcia
On 21.06.2009 22:21, Chris Ilias wrote:

  --- Original Message ---

> On 21/06/09 10:48 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:
> <snip unrelated stuff>
>> posters comments that their screenshots had not been posted and the fact
>> that Dan is leaving the forums for who knows how long. The questions
>> were not answered as to why the screenshots didn't get posted and Xavier
>> noted that since the moderator crew here is part of
>> management/administration that they should have inquired and posted back
>> with helpful suggestions and answers rather than acting uninformed
>
> Do you guys think that Q and I are moderators on the support-screenshots
> mailing list?
>

No. Again ... you guys are moderators which is part of the
management/admin team. Again .. being part of the team that oversees the
various forums, you guys have a better inroad to inquire as to the
problems with the .screenshots group. IOW, you have a better handle on
things over and above the users here and know who to ask. Again .. a
simple post to the tune "we'll find out and get back" rather than
posting rude comments re: "whining" and such. Dan is leaving or already
left, who knows. It's up to somebody else to pick up the ball.

Does this make it clear? Is "anyone" going to make an attempt to correct
things that "may" be wrong with the group? Although not a very popular
move to create the .screenshots group, it's the best available under the
circumstances and every effort should be made to make it available to
users needing support and so on.

Q's response to Don was just fine, in lieu of the screenshots group
possibly being broken, by suggesting how to make his screenshot availble
for comment.

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where to post image of screenshot?

Chris Ilias-2
On 22/06/09 12:03 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 21.06.2009 22:21, Chris Ilias wrote:
>
>> Do you guys think that Q and I are moderators on the
>> support-screenshots mailing list?
>
> No. Again ... you guys are moderators which is part of the
> management/admin team. Again .. being part of the team that oversees the
> various forums, you guys have a better inroad to inquire as to the
> problems with the .screenshots group. IOW, you have a better handle on
> things over and above the users here and know who to ask. Again .. a
> simple post to the tune "we'll find out and get back" rather than
> posting rude comments re: "whining" and such. Dan is leaving or already
> left, who knows. It's up to somebody else to pick up the ball.
>
> Does this make it clear?

I'm not sure; so please tell me if this is correct:

If someone is having a problem posting to another newsgroup, which I
have no authority over, I am *expected* to address that issue? Even if
the moderator of said newsgroup has already posted in that thread?

Is that correct? I'm still iffy on what you consider the
"management/admin team", and what you mean by "have a better inroad to
inquire". I suspect that's where the false assumptions are.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
List-owner: support-firefox, support-thunderbird, test-multimedia
Keeper of the Knowledge Base: <https://support.mozilla.com/kb/>
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where to post image of screenshot?

Dennis-77
Chris Ilias wrote:

> On 22/06/09 12:03 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 21.06.2009 22:21, Chris Ilias wrote:
>>
>>> Do you guys think that Q and I are moderators on the
>>> support-screenshots mailing list?
>>
>> No. Again ... you guys are moderators which is part of the
>> management/admin team. Again .. being part of the team that oversees the
>> various forums, you guys have a better inroad to inquire as to the
>> problems with the .screenshots group. IOW, you have a better handle on
>> things over and above the users here and know who to ask. Again .. a
>> simple post to the tune "we'll find out and get back" rather than
>> posting rude comments re: "whining" and such. Dan is leaving or already
>> left, who knows. It's up to somebody else to pick up the ball.
>>
>> Does this make it clear?
>
> I'm not sure; so please tell me if this is correct:
>
> If someone is having a problem posting to another newsgroup, which I
> have no authority over, I am *expected* to address that issue? Even if
> the moderator of said newsgroup has already posted in that thread?
>
> Is that correct? I'm still iffy on what you consider the
> "management/admin team", and what you mean by "have a better inroad to
> inquire". I suspect that's where the false assumptions are.
>

You, Chris, are either playing dumb and/or an actual complete idiot. I
*have* made up my mind.

Dennis
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where to post image of screenshot?

»Q«
In reply to this post by Jay Garcia
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Jay Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The question was brought up concerning the .screenshots group and
> it's perceived inattention because of several posters comments that
> their screenshots had not been posted and the fact that Dan is
> leaving the forums for who knows how long.

No, that's not what happened in this thread.  Don noted that the
screenshots group wasn't working and asked for help with getting
screenshots up somewhere.  In response to that, Chris gave him some
options, with URLs.

"Xavier" just did some vague complaining about this server in general
and suggested Don try some other venue for help, without suggesting
where.

Later, in response to Chris' post about how Don could get screenshots
up somewhere, Terry asked what the problem is with m.s.screenshots.  I
reminded him that Dan's the guy to ask about that and directed him here
to where it was being talked about.

> The questions were not answered as to why the screenshots didn't get
> posted

That question was only asked once, by Terry, and I referred him to Dan
and to this group.  AFAIK, he hasn't followed up.

> and Xavier noted that since the moderator crew here is part of
> management/administration that they should have inquired and posted
> back with helpful suggestions and answers rather than acting
> uninformed and/or uncaring, etc.

Referring a question about m.s.screenshots to Dan is "acting uninformed
and/or uncaring, etc."?

> Seems like a few others perceived the same thing.

It's hard to get an accurate count.

> A simple post by one or more moderators could have been "I'll see
> what I can come up with". If I was a moderator here that's what I
> would do - make an inquiry to Dave Miller and/or Gerv to see what's
> up with the .screenshots group.

Was something preventing you from doing that?  If you feel it's not
your job to do that, recall that "Xavier" finds that excuse
unacceptable.

I thought the best thing was to refer Terry to Dan;  I don't mind if
you disagree with that being the best thing to do, but I certainly
didn't expect to get a whiny lecture about it from "Xavier".

In case "Xavier" actually meant that Chris' single post had been the
problem, let's take a look at it alongside the post from "Xavier",
both in response to Don's original question, which was "Where can I post
a screenshot?"

Chris wrote:

  A lot of people these days are using <http://www.grabup.com/>, which
  will automatically upload your image and put the URL in your
  clipboard.

  You can also try <http://www.screencast.com/>, which also supports
  screencasts.

  Both are free.

"Xavier" wrote:

  The group mozilla.support.screenshots requires a moderator to
  intercept and approve the screenshot before it will be posted. This
  may take days to achieve or longer and there is no place else that
  you can post the screenshot. It's about the best support you can
  count on here unfortunately.

  There are other servers and forums that you may want to try before
  your operating system becomes extinct waiting for an answer here.

> Tagging this as "whining" is quite rude and unproductive to say the
> least.

Once "Xavier" had invented a job for me and started whining that I
wasn't doing it to his satisfaction, there was little chance anything
productive would come of it.  In general, I'd rather not get lectures
from you/"Xavier" about how to answer questions in the support groups,
feel free to e-mail the lectures to me if you'd rather I not mention
the whining in public.

--
»Q«
     Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where to post image of screenshot?

Chris Ilias-2
In reply to this post by Dennis-77
On 22/06/09 1:02 AM, Dennis wrote:

> Chris Ilias wrote:
>> I'm not sure; so please tell me if this is correct:
>>
>> If someone is having a problem posting to another newsgroup, which I
>> have no authority over, I am *expected* to address that issue? Even if
>> the moderator of said newsgroup has already posted in that thread?
>>
>> Is that correct? I'm still iffy on what you consider the
>> "management/admin team", and what you mean by "have a better inroad to
>> inquire". I suspect that's where the false assumptions are.
>
> You, Chris, are either playing dumb and/or an actual complete idiot. I
> *have* made up my mind.

Could we please take the personal insults out of this? Trying to weed
through the insults and opinions is what made this thread hard for me to
understand in the first place.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
List-owner: support-firefox, support-thunderbird, test-multimedia
Keeper of the Knowledge Base: <https://support.mozilla.com/kb/>
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where to post image of screenshot?

squaredancer
On 22.06.2009 07:19, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Chris Ilias to
generate the following:? :

> On 22/06/09 1:02 AM, Dennis wrote:
>  
>> Chris Ilias wrote:
>>    
>>> I'm not sure; so please tell me if this is correct:
>>>
>>> If someone is having a problem posting to another newsgroup, which I
>>> have no authority over, I am *expected* to address that issue? Even if
>>> the moderator of said newsgroup has already posted in that thread?
>>>
>>> Is that correct? I'm still iffy on what you consider the
>>> "management/admin team", and what you mean by "have a better inroad to
>>> inquire". I suspect that's where the false assumptions are.
>>>      
>> You, Chris, are either playing dumb and/or an actual complete idiot. I
>> *have* made up my mind.
>>    
>
> Could we please take the personal insults out of this? Trying to weed
> through the insults and opinions is what made this thread hard for me to
> understand in the first place.
>
>  

understatement of the centuary... Chris Illiass finds something "hard to
understand"

excuse me, while I laugh my ass off!

reg
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where to post image of screenshot?

Jay Garcia
In reply to this post by »Q«
On 22.06.2009 00:04, »Q« wrote:

  --- Original Message ---

> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> Jay Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The question was brought up concerning the .screenshots group and
>> it's perceived inattention because of several posters comments that
>> their screenshots had not been posted and the fact that Dan is
>> leaving the forums for who knows how long.
>
> No, that's not what happened in this thread.  Don noted that the
> screenshots group wasn't working and asked for help with getting
> screenshots up somewhere.  In response to that, Chris gave him some
> options, with URLs.
>
> "Xavier" just did some vague complaining about this server in general
> and suggested Don try some other venue for help, without suggesting
> where.
>
> Later, in response to Chris' post about how Don could get screenshots
> up somewhere, Terry asked what the problem is with m.s.screenshots.  I
> reminded him that Dan's the guy to ask about that and directed him here
> to where it was being talked about.
>
>> The questions were not answered as to why the screenshots didn't get
>> posted
>
> That question was only asked once, by Terry, and I referred him to Dan
> and to this group.  AFAIK, he hasn't followed up.
>
>> and Xavier noted that since the moderator crew here is part of
>> management/administration that they should have inquired and posted
>> back with helpful suggestions and answers rather than acting
>> uninformed and/or uncaring, etc.
>
> Referring a question about m.s.screenshots to Dan is "acting uninformed
> and/or uncaring, etc."?
>
>> Seems like a few others perceived the same thing.
>
> It's hard to get an accurate count.
>
>> A simple post by one or more moderators could have been "I'll see
>> what I can come up with". If I was a moderator here that's what I
>> would do - make an inquiry to Dave Miller and/or Gerv to see what's
>> up with the .screenshots group.
>
> Was something preventing you from doing that?  If you feel it's not
> your job to do that, recall that "Xavier" finds that excuse
> unacceptable.
>
> I thought the best thing was to refer Terry to Dan;  I don't mind if
> you disagree with that being the best thing to do, but I certainly
> didn't expect to get a whiny lecture about it from "Xavier".
>
> In case "Xavier" actually meant that Chris' single post had been the
> problem, let's take a look at it alongside the post from "Xavier",
> both in response to Don's original question, which was "Where can I post
> a screenshot?"
>
> Chris wrote:
>
>   A lot of people these days are using <http://www.grabup.com/>, which
>   will automatically upload your image and put the URL in your
>   clipboard.
>
>   You can also try <http://www.screencast.com/>, which also supports
>   screencasts.
>
>   Both are free.
>
> "Xavier" wrote:
>
>   The group mozilla.support.screenshots requires a moderator to
>   intercept and approve the screenshot before it will be posted. This
>   may take days to achieve or longer and there is no place else that
>   you can post the screenshot. It's about the best support you can
>   count on here unfortunately.
>
>   There are other servers and forums that you may want to try before
>   your operating system becomes extinct waiting for an answer here.
>
>> Tagging this as "whining" is quite rude and unproductive to say the
>> least.
>
> Once "Xavier" had invented a job for me and started whining that I
> wasn't doing it to his satisfaction, there was little chance anything
> productive would come of it.  In general, I'd rather not get lectures
> from you/"Xavier" about how to answer questions in the support groups,
> feel free to e-mail the lectures to me if you'd rather I not mention
> the whining in public.
>

You, Chris and Nir should get together and make sure you know what a
moderator is and that a "moderator" is part of the administration "team"
over this server. As part of the team you (collectively) have a better
venue to make inquiries as to the operation of the server and it's
groups, etc., that's all anyone was trying to convey since Dan announced
his departure and there were no explanations tendered and no offers by
the team to make an attempt to find out. Xavier's comment " ..
unacceptable" was directed only to the moderators, not the general user(s).

I have many moderators on my team at Compuserve and they report back to
me with questions that they themselves are unsure about how to answer a
user regarding the daily operation(s) of the forum(s), etc. Why don't
"I" email Gerv?? Simply because I am not on the team although I have had
a personal relationship with Gerv ever since he was an intern at
Netscape 10 or so years ago. Now THAT would be "whining".

You don't have to " " Xavier, if you want to know who he is, private
email me.

This discussion is over as far as I am concerned as there is nothing
more to do other than wait for a reply as to the problems, if any, with
.screenshots and the subsequent fix.

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where to post image of screenshot?

Jay Garcia
In reply to this post by Chris Ilias-2
On 21.06.2009 23:30, Chris Ilias wrote:

  --- Original Message ---

> On 22/06/09 12:03 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 21.06.2009 22:21, Chris Ilias wrote:
>>
>>> Do you guys think that Q and I are moderators on the
>>> support-screenshots mailing list?
>>
>> No. Again ... you guys are moderators which is part of the
>> management/admin team. Again .. being part of the team that oversees the
>> various forums, you guys have a better inroad to inquire as to the
>> problems with the .screenshots group. IOW, you have a better handle on
>> things over and above the users here and know who to ask. Again .. a
>> simple post to the tune "we'll find out and get back" rather than
>> posting rude comments re: "whining" and such. Dan is leaving or already
>> left, who knows. It's up to somebody else to pick up the ball.
>>
>> Does this make it clear?
>
> I'm not sure; so please tell me if this is correct:
>
> If someone is having a problem posting to another newsgroup, which I
> have no authority over, I am *expected* to address that issue? Even if
> the moderator of said newsgroup has already posted in that thread?
>
> Is that correct? I'm still iffy on what you consider the
> "management/admin team", and what you mean by "have a better inroad to
> inquire". I suspect that's where the false assumptions are.
>

Oh c'mon Chris!! Let me bring this to as basic as I can get. You and the
other moderators are considered part of the administration team that
oversees this server, is this not correct? If not then we need go no
further.

Further ...

And being part of the team you (collectively) have a better venue to
pose technical questions to Gerv/Dave/whomever regarding the operation
of the server and related group(s), not JUST the ones that you moderate.
Since Dan announced his departure, I and others would think that you
would take the reins and find out for the rest of us "users" what the
problem is, if any, and inform us as to a fix, etc. if warranted. The
impression was given that the moderator team didn't care because it
wasn't your job.

It was also quite unfortunate that the discussion(s) were spread out
over more than one thread rather than just taking place in .general
which says something about followups being somewhat confusing.

So, the question is, what is happening with .screenshots, will you
please find out? Thanks

You know .. when this server made it's move from the Netscape server, I
formed the Mozilla Champions after which I received a personal email
from Mitchell Baker (mozilla.org) stating how wonderful an idea to have
a knowledgeable group assembled to work with the staff and support the
users. Boy, was I wrong, we were met with stubborn disdain by the
open-source people accusing us of being "Netscape" Champions and wanting
to be on some sort of golden pedestal treated like gods and such when
all we wanted was to be part of the "team" working WITH the open-source
community as well as Mozilla.org. I even offered to host this server for
FREE ( I have the finances AND all the resources necessary ) but never
received an answer one way or the other. Another obvious mistake was to
have the notion that this server would somewhat carry on in the
tradition of secnews.

You close by saying "I suspect that's where the false assumptions are".
So, you mean that the moderators are NOT part of the server
administration "team" and you have no more clue about operations than
anyone else? If that is so then I guess that all of "us" do, in fact,
have false assumptions.

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where to post image of screenshot?

Moz Champion (Dan)
In reply to this post by user-41
user wrote:

> On 21.06.2009 14:08, »Q« wrote:
>
>> In <news:[hidden email]>,
>> user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On 20.06.2009 21:56, »Q« wrote:
>>>
>>> > As you well know, Dan has been the list owner and moderator of the
>>> > group ever since it was set up. You can find current discussions in
>>> > mozilla.general with Dan trying to troubleshoot the problem, which
>>> > he just learned about.  I've set followups to there.
>>>
>>> It would seem to me that a "moderator", being a step above the "user"
>>> so to speak, and being part of the management team should know or at
>>> least have the wherewithall to know and/or inquire and report back to
>>> the group.
>>>
>>> "Not my job" is unacceptable.
>>
>> Are you having some trouble contacting Dan with your questions or are
>> you just whining for the sake of whining?
>>
>
> It wasn't a question but rather an observation, I wasn't seeking a reply
> from Dan but rather was posting a reply to your entry. Since Dan has
> been posting here in .general I think he'll be most happy to respond as
> well maybe. You must be employed by the COE or something similar,
> typical response.
>
> /xo - headed back to Texas shortly.
>


Reports of my demise (or leaving) are somewhat premature. It is true
that I am currently taking a sabbattical from the help groups, but I
cannot simply 'abandon' mozilla.support.screenshots

I posted that I am seeking an 'assistant' to take over moderation of the
group while I go on sabbatical, and implied that this may lead to a
permanment postion.

Until such time as there is someone else to hand over to I cannot, in
all good faith simply leave.

As expressed here (in thread) that people were having problems posting
to the group was news to me, and I investigated the matter as far as I
was able.

One person (Dennis) posted to the group/list as a test and it was
successful at least as far as it went. Without more testing I fail to
see what can be done with regards to the newsgroup.

If you are (or were) having problems posting to the group, then please,
post about it here (so I see it) and an email to me would not be out of
the question either. Then we can do some testing to see exactly what the
problem is.


Chris, Q and Nir have nothing to do with the group in essence and they
know no more than anyone else here regarding such. They have my email
(and I have theirs) but so does everyone else (my email is shown on
every post I make). So expecting them to know anything more than what
has been posted here doesn't really make any sense.

To reiterate, I will not be leaving (completely) until there is someone
else (or another means) of providing access to mozilla.support.screenshots



_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where to post image of screenshot?

Jay Garcia
On 22.06.2009 08:44, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

  --- Original Message ---

> user wrote:
>> On 21.06.2009 14:08, »Q« wrote:
>>
>>> In <news:[hidden email]>,
>>> user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> On 20.06.2009 21:56, »Q« wrote:
>>>>
>>>> > As you well know, Dan has been the list owner and moderator of the
>>>> > group ever since it was set up. You can find current discussions in
>>>> > mozilla.general with Dan trying to troubleshoot the problem, which
>>>> > he just learned about.  I've set followups to there.
>>>>
>>>> It would seem to me that a "moderator", being a step above the "user"
>>>> so to speak, and being part of the management team should know or at
>>>> least have the wherewithall to know and/or inquire and report back to
>>>> the group.
>>>>
>>>> "Not my job" is unacceptable.
>>>
>>> Are you having some trouble contacting Dan with your questions or are
>>> you just whining for the sake of whining?
>>>
>>
>> It wasn't a question but rather an observation, I wasn't seeking a
>> reply from Dan but rather was posting a reply to your entry. Since Dan
>> has been posting here in .general I think he'll be most happy to
>> respond as well maybe. You must be employed by the COE or something
>> similar, typical response.
>>
>> /xo - headed back to Texas shortly.
>>
>
>
> Reports of my demise (or leaving) are somewhat premature. It is true
> that I am currently taking a sabbattical from the help groups, but I
> cannot simply 'abandon' mozilla.support.screenshots
>
> I posted that I am seeking an 'assistant' to take over moderation of the
> group while I go on sabbatical, and implied that this may lead to a
> permanment postion.
>
> Until such time as there is someone else to hand over to I cannot, in
> all good faith simply leave.
>
> As expressed here (in thread) that people were having problems posting
> to the group was news to me, and I investigated the matter as far as I
> was able.
>
> One person (Dennis) posted to the group/list as a test and it was
> successful at least as far as it went. Without more testing I fail to
> see what can be done with regards to the newsgroup.
>
> If you are (or were) having problems posting to the group, then please,
> post about it here (so I see it) and an email to me would not be out of
> the question either. Then we can do some testing to see exactly what the
> problem is.
>
>
> Chris, Q and Nir have nothing to do with the group in essence and they
> know no more than anyone else here regarding such. They have my email
> (and I have theirs) but so does everyone else (my email is shown on
> every post I make). So expecting them to know anything more than what
> has been posted here doesn't really make any sense.
>
> To reiterate, I will not be leaving (completely) until there is someone
> else (or another means) of providing access to mozilla.support.screenshots
>
>
>

Thanks for the nice and courteous reply. However, the perception is that
since Chris, Q and Nir are moderators they should have a more expanded
knowledge of the inner workings of all the support groups and a better
handle on things regardless of their participation and title. After
reading a recent reply from Chris and Q I gather this to not be the
case. So be it ...

Your efforts are much appreciated as always. Enjoy whatever it is your
plans entail.

I think we can put this to rest now as per your detailed explanation and
I'll pass it along to Xavier.

Cheers

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape/Flock Champion
www.ufaq.org
Netscape - Flock - Firefox - Thunderbird - Seamonkey Support
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
1234 ... 7