Re: What makes "Drafts" folder "editable"?

Re: What makes "Drafts" folder "editable"?

JT SoCal
Regarding the editing of messages in any of your folders without a means
of identifying the changes.  In the corporate world this could create
considerable difficulty for the legal department in the even of a
lawsuit where a computer with altered messages is to be used as evidence
for either side.  The changes could create liabilities or mask
liabilities that should be there.  They could also create problems for
the party changing the message if an original were to be located on a
server that did not match the one on the local machine.  Changing copies
  to be stored in a private local folder with notes added but the
original portion unchanged would be the safest overall method.

Just a thought.

James

Christopher Jahn wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote in news:1129264899.970120.154020
> @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>

>>I think I confused the question by mentioning two interrelated
>>"features" of Outlook that I find very useful.
>>
>>The first is the notes.  Really they're just little text files that
>>happen to get stored near/with mail.  The addons that Christopher
>>mentioned sort of cover this functionality.  However, I use IMAP for my
>>mailbox, and I do access it from Mozilla Mail, Pine, Webmail, and
>>sometimes Outlook.  So, it would be much more convenient to have
>>something that saves notes in an IMAP
>>mail folder. Granted, Outlook notes are stored in the proprietary .pst
>>file (or on Exchange) so I guess the addon's are fair approximations.
>>
>>The second, is the ability to edit messages that I receive.  I find it
>>very efficient to annotate messages and edit the subject lines of
>>messages before I shove them into a folder for archiving.  Outlook
>>allows this.  However, I can see how one could argue that this is
>>outside the proper boundaries of an email client since you're editing
>>the source messages (i.e. you can literally change an email that
>>someone sends to you).
>>
>>Anyway, my real point is that it should be trivially easy for someone
>>who is familiar with the Tbird database and/or code.  The Drafts folder
>>already behaves almost exactly the way that I want.  I can drag
>>messages from my inbox to my drafts folder and then edit and annotate.
>>If I could arbitrarily flag folders as editable, and also flag them so
>>that any edits get saved back to the original folder, then life would
>>be good.
>>

> Why not simply create subfolders in Drafts?  It accomplishes exactly what
> you need without re-writing the program.

Re: What makes "Drafts" folder "editable"?

Chuck Anderson
James wrote:

>Christopher Jahn wrote:
>

>>[hidden email] wrote in news:1129264899.970120.154020
>>@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>>

>>>I think I confused the question by mentioning two interrelated
>>>"features" of Outlook that I find very useful.
>>>
>>>The first is the notes.  Really they're just little text files that
>>>happen to get stored near/with mail.  The addons that Christopher
>>>mentioned sort of cover this functionality.  However, I use IMAP for my
>>>mailbox, and I do access it from Mozilla Mail, Pine, Webmail, and
>>>sometimes Outlook.  So, it would be much more convenient to have
>>>something that saves notes in an IMAP
>>>mail folder. Granted, Outlook notes are stored in the proprietary .pst
>>>file (or on Exchange) so I guess the addon's are fair approximations.
>>>
>>>The second, is the ability to edit messages that I receive.  I find it
>>>very efficient to annotate messages and edit the subject lines of
>>>messages before I shove them into a folder for archiving.  Outlook
>>>allows this.  However, I can see how one could argue that this is
>>>outside the proper boundaries of an email client since you're editing
>>>the source messages (i.e. you can literally change an email that
>>>someone sends to you).
>>>
>>>Anyway, my real point is that it should be trivially easy for someone
>>>who is familiar with the Tbird database and/or code.  The Drafts folder
>>>already behaves almost exactly the way that I want.  I can drag
>>>messages from my inbox to my drafts folder and then edit and annotate.
>>>If I could arbitrarily flag folders as editable, and also flag them so
>>>that any edits get saved back to the original folder, then life would
>>>be good.
>>>

>>Why not simply create subfolders in Drafts?  It accomplishes exactly what
>>you need without re-writing the program.
>>
>Regarding the editing of messages in any of your folders without a means
>of identifying the changes.  In the corporate world this could create
>considerable difficulty for the legal department in the even of a
>lawsuit where a computer with altered messages is to be used as evidence
>for either side.

Using an email as evidence in court would be flawed, regardless, as it
is simply too easy to alter email files - and to so without leaving any
definite tracks.

>The changes could create liabilities or mask
>liabilities that should be there.  They could also create problems for
>the party changing the message if an original were to be located on a
>server that did not match the one on the local machine.  Changing copies
>  to be stored in a private local folder with notes added but the
>original portion unchanged would be the safest overall method.

The safest overall method would be to not trust someone's email inbox as
a source of proof for anything.

Re: What makes "Drafts" folder "editable"?

JT SoCal
Yet courts do rely on it frequently and seem oblivous to that fact or
possibly do not care about it and use the message as a means to an end.
    Simply best to keep things as clean and simple as possible.  The
best defense would be a consistant, auditable, Inbox history showing the
defendants method of maintaining files.  Consider everything coming and
going as a possible item in a court case.  Total protection is not
possible but habit can be a helpfull defense.

James