Re: WAYYYYY OT -- Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Re: WAYYYYY OT -- Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

The Real Bev
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> Irwin Greenwald wrote:

>> And why did we have to change "manic depressive" to "bipolar"?  The
>> former conveys a good description of the ailment to the layman; the
>> latter tells us little.  "Mentally challenged" is a wide open term;
>> "slow" or "retarded" are pretty specific.
>
> Actually Bipolar is just as accurate. it means more than one pole or
> polar opposites , either way it describes a persons whose mood swings to
> extremely high to extremely low. Their Highs are way to high, and their
> lows are way to low.

The problem with 'bipolar' is that it could apply to things besides
mental illnesses/challenges/problems/states.  The earth, for instance.
Explorers who have explored both North and South poles.  Magnetism.
Unless you know that 'bipolar' means 'manic-depressive' or the longer
official definition, you're really not sure about exactly what is meant.
  I didn't the first time I heard it -- I thought it might be some
subset of manic-depressive or vice versa, but only because I was reading
about manic depression at the time.

Language should clarify, not obfuscate.  Unless it's in a political
speech, of course :-)

May your holiday experience be all that you expect of it!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"We returned the General to El Salvador, or maybe Guatemala,
it's difficult to tell from 10,000 feet."           -- Anon.

Re: WAYYYYY OT -- Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Blinky the Shark
The Real Bev wrote:
> The problem with 'bipolar' is that it could apply to things besides
> mental illnesses/challenges/problems/states.  The earth, for instance.
> Explorers who have explored both North and South poles.

And don't forget about bipolar bears.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
> I had an uncle on my dad's side of the family that was a Mongoloid as
> well and my dad and all his brother s and system called Uncle Raymond
> "Retarded". That is what they were called before the more appropriate
> Mentally handicapped term was coined.

"Retarded" was equally appropriate.  The only difference was the time frame.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Re: WAYYYYY OT -- Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Rinaldi J. Montessi-4
The Real Bev wrote:
----------
> Language should clarify, not obfuscate.

Yes!  But they who control the language control the debate.  Those of us
who prefer "shovel" to "hand operated excavating device" don't stand a
chance when the inflated egos take over the conversation.

And that to me defines political correctness.  Looking for "issues" with
which to take "umbrage" in order to a). elevate themselves above the
masses, and b). impress the dilettantes and sycophants these
personalities surround themselves with.

But I could be wrong.

Rinaldi
--
Pascal, n.:
        A programming language named after a man who would turn over in

Re: WAYYYYY OT -- Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Ron K.
Rinaldi J. Montessi keyboarded, On 12/22/2007 9:48 PM :

> The Real Bev wrote:
> ----------
>
>> Language should clarify, not obfuscate.
>>

> Yes!  But they who control the language control the debate.  Those of us
> who prefer "shovel" to "hand operated excavating device" don't stand a
> chance when the inflated egos take over the conversation.

They are more likely to say "Portable, manually operated, hand held,
excavating device".

--
Ron K.

Ron K. wrote:

> Rinaldi J. Montessi keyboarded, On 12/22/2007 9:48 PM :
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>> ----------
>>
>>> Language should clarify, not obfuscate.
>>>

>> Yes!  But they who control the language control the debate.  Those of us
>> who prefer "shovel" to "hand operated excavating device" don't stand a
>> chance when the inflated egos take over the conversation.
>>

> They are more likely to say "Portable, manually operated, hand held,
> excavating device".

I did flunk the quartermaster correspondence course :-)

Rinaldi

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> The problem with 'bipolar' is that it could apply to things besides
>> mental illnesses/challenges/problems/states.  The earth, for instance.
>> Explorers who have explored both North and South poles.
>
> And don't forget about bipolar bears.

Those bears are monopolar.  If they were bipolar there would be no more
penguins.

Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

> Ron K. wrote:
>> Rinaldi J. Montessi keyboarded, On 12/22/2007 9:48 PM :

>>> Yes!  But they who control the language control the debate.  Those of us
>>> who prefer "shovel" to "hand operated excavating device" don't stand a
>>> chance when the inflated egos take over the conversation.
>>
>> They are more likely to say "Portable, manually operated, hand held,
>> excavating device".

"...hand-held analog excavating device".

> I did flunk the quartermaster correspondence course :-)

Me too, sort of, except it was a proposal to JPL.  It was written at a
college level.  I kind of hoped that that was the target, but I guess I
was wrong.

Re: WAYYYYY OT -- Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Ron K.
Rinaldi J. Montessi keyboarded, On 12/22/2007 11:44 PM :

> Ron K. wrote:
>
>> Rinaldi J. Montessi keyboarded, On 12/22/2007 9:48 PM :
>>
>>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>> ----------

>>> Yes!  But they who control the language control the debate.  Those of us
>>> who prefer "shovel" to "hand operated excavating device" don't stand a
>>> chance when the inflated egos take over the conversation.
>>>

>> They are more likely to say "Portable, manually operated, hand held,
>> excavating device".
>>

> I did flunk the quartermaster correspondence course :-)
>
> Rinaldi

I did OK, only because it was an *open book* final.

--
Ron K.

Re: WAYYYYY OT -- Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

squaredancer
On 23.12.2007 05:52, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  The Real Bev
to generate the following:? :

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>

>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>>> The problem with 'bipolar' is that it could apply to things besides
>>> mental illnesses/challenges/problems/states.  The earth, for instance.
>>> Explorers who have explored both North and South poles.
>>>
>> And don't forget about bipolar bears.
>>

> Those bears are monopolar.  If they were bipolar there would be no more
> penguins.

hmmm, Bev - do polarbears eat penguins? Is that why there are no
penguins in Canada??

Maybe (just maybe) penguins eat polarbears, which would explain the
absence of bipolars!

reg

Re: WAYYYYY OT -- Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

squaredancer
On 23.12.2007 05:29, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Ron K. to
generate the following:? :

> Rinaldi J. Montessi keyboarded, On 12/22/2007 9:48 PM :
>
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>> ----------
>>

>>> Language should clarify, not obfuscate.
>>>

>> Yes!  But they who control the language control the debate.  Those of us
>> who prefer "shovel" to "hand operated excavating device" don't stand a
>> chance when the inflated egos take over the conversation.
>>

> They are more likely to say "Portable, manually operated, hand held,
> excavating device".
>

>> And that to me defines political correctness.  Looking for "issues" with
>> which to take "umbrage" in order to a). elevate themselves above the
>> masses, and b). impress the dilettantes and sycophants these
>> personalities surround themselves with.
>>
>> But I could be wrong.
>>
>> Rinaldi

I *OBJECT* to the word "de*VICE*" - it implicates a form of sexual
abhorration, disguised in an italian verbal form!

reg

Re: WAYYYYY OT -- Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

squaredancer
On 22.12.2007 23:23, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Blinky the
Shark to generate the following:? :

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>
>> I had an uncle on my dad's side of the family that was a Mongoloid as
>> well and my dad and all his brother s and system called Uncle Raymond
>> "Retarded". That is what they were called before the more appropriate
>> Mentally handicapped term was coined.
>>

> "Retarded" was equally appropriate.  The only difference was the time frame.

wonder why no-one thought before to look up "Retard" in an online
dictionary??

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/retard

see the Synonyms for better wording!

reg

Re: WAYYYYY OT -- Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

Jay Garcia
On 22.12.2007 22:52, The Real Bev wrote:

>>> The problem with 'bipolar' is that it could apply to things besides
>>> mental illnesses/challenges/problems/states.  The earth, for instance.
>>> Explorers who have explored both North and South poles.
>>
>> And don't forget about bipolar bears.
>
> Those bears are monopolar.  If they were bipolar there would be no more
> penguins.

But what if they are bi-polar bears ... 8-)

--
Jay Garcia - Netscape Champion
Marketing,Staff and Forums Consultant

Re: WAYYYYY OT -- Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

squaredancer
On 23.12.2007 14:18, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Jay Garcia to
generate the following:? :

> On 22.12.2007 22:52, The Real Bev wrote:

then, they would be required by nature to migrate... then though, they
would get eaten by the ice-sharks...  hmmmm - I wonder if that *is* what
happened to them??
hey, Blinky - what do polarbears taste like??

reg

Re: WAYYYYY OT -- Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

PhillipJones
Blinky the Shark wrote:
> The Real Bev wrote:
>> The problem with 'bipolar' is that it could apply to things besides
>> mental illnesses/challenges/problems/states.  The earth, for instance.
>> Explorers who have explored both North and South poles.
>
> And don't forget about bipolar bears.

That's Coca-Cola Bears

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>> I had an uncle on my dad's side of the family that was a Mongoloid as
>> well and my dad and all his brother s and system called Uncle Raymond
>> "Retarded". That is what they were called before the more appropriate
>> Mentally handicapped term was coined.
>
> "Retarded" was equally appropriate.  The only difference was the time
> frame.

My dad had brother's and *sisters* not systems. Geez I hate when I type
to fast.

squaredancer wrote:

> On 23.12.2007 05:52, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  The Real Bev
> to generate the following:? :
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> And don't forget about bipolar bears.
>>
>> Those bears are monopolar.  If they were bipolar there would be no more
>> penguins.
>
> hmmm, Bev - do polarbears eat penguins? Is that why there are no
> penguins in Canada??

Perhaps, but I think it's just too warm for them.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2483249060048145512HVWrAL?vhost=good-times

squaredancer wrote:

> On 23.12.2007 14:18, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Jay Garcia to
> generate the following:? :

>>> Those bears are monopolar.  If they were bipolar there would be no more
>>> penguins.
>>
>> But what if they are bi-polar bears ... 8-)
>
> then, they would be required by nature to migrate... then though, they
> would get eaten by the ice-sharks...  hmmmm - I wonder if that *is* what
> happened to them??

Ice-sharks were no match for a full-grown bipolar bear, it was the
ice-weasels traveling in packs that did them in.  You've heard of
"nibbled to death by ducks"?  Same thing.  The few who did make it
through encountered formidable opposition.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2483249060048145512HVWrAL?vhost=good-times

> hey, Blinky - what do polarbears taste like??

That's really an insensitive question.  Apologize, worm, and do it NOW.

Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
>>> I had an uncle on my dad's side of the family that was a Mongoloid as
>>> well and my dad and all his brother s and system called Uncle Raymond
>>> "Retarded". That is what they were called before the more appropriate
>>> Mentally handicapped term was coined.
>>
>> "Retarded" was equally appropriate.  The only difference was the time
>> frame.
>
> My dad had brother's and *sisters* not systems. Geez I hate when I type
> to fast.

Me two, but 'systems' is less offensive than 'sinisters'.

Re: WAYYYYY OT -- Re: HTML or Plain Text - no problem for me

squaredancer
On 23.12.2007 19:30, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  The Real Bev
to generate the following:? :

> squaredancer wrote:
>

>> On 23.12.2007 14:18, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Jay Garcia to
>> generate the following:? :

>>> But what if they are bi-polar bears ... 8-)
>>>
>> then, they would be required by nature to migrate... then though, they
>> would get eaten by the ice-sharks...  hmmmm - I wonder if that *is* what
>> happened to them??
>>

> Ice-sharks were no match for a full-grown bipolar bear, it was the
> ice-weasels traveling in packs that did them in.  You've heard of
> "nibbled to death by ducks"?  Same thing.

Ducks' Revenge - video view of Ducks attacking their oppressors

http://www.corebreach.de/Bildchen/Woodpecker.mpe

reg