Re: WAYYYY OT now -- Re: [OT] Re: Thumbnail links won't open in 1.5

Re: WAYYYY OT now -- Re: [OT] Re: Thumbnail links won't open in 1.5

gwtc-3
Chris Ilias wrote:

> _gwtc_ spoke thusly on 24/01/2006 5:16 PM:
>
>>Chris Ilias wrote:
>>

>>>If you can't move OT discussion to a place where it is on topic,
>>>please take it to mozilla.general. Thanks. :-)
>>
>>With all do respect Chris, but I don't think you have the right to say
>>that any more.  This is not the secnews server.
>

> Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not dictating. I'm just reporting what I was
> told. :-) Just like when you would tell a person on secnews not to snip
> quoted text. I asked Gervase Markham about OT discussion, and
> possibility of an OT newsgroup. He said to take it to mozilla.general,
> but was quick to make a point that OT discussion should go to a place
> where it is on-topic. Now that mozilla.general is up, I verified his
> response over the weekend.
well, thats just a discussion between you and him.  And just who's
this Gervase Markham anyways?

--
Time for a change

Re: WAYYYY OT now -- Re: [OT] Re: Thumbnail links won't open in 1.5

Chris Ilias-2
_gwtc_ spoke thusly on 24/01/2006 7:14 PM:

> Chris Ilias wrote:
>
>> Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not dictating. I'm just reporting what I
>> was told. :-) Just like when you would tell a person on secnews not to
>> snip quoted text. I asked Gervase Markham about OT discussion, and
>> possibility of an OT newsgroup. He said to take it to mozilla.general,
>> but was quick to make a point that OT discussion should go to a place
>> where it is on-topic. Now that mozilla.general is up, I verified his
>> response over the weekend.
> well, thats just a discussion between you and him.  And just who's this
> Gervase Markham anyways?

Gerv is a Mozilla Foundation employee, who, in this particular case, is
the overseer of the Mozilla newsgroups.
For more info, you can check out the "Hacking for Christ" links on
<http://ilias.ca/newsserverinfo.html>. And his blog is at
<http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/gerv/>.
--
Chris Ilias - Mozilla Champion
Mozilla Help <http://mozillahelp.com>

Re: WAYYYY OT now -- Re: [OT] Re: Thumbnail links won't open in 1.5

Jonas Joergensen
Chris Ilias wrote:
> _gwtc_ spoke thusly on 24/01/2006 7:14 PM:
>> And just who's
>> this Gervase Markham anyways?
>
> Gerv is a Mozilla Foundation employee

...not to mention a mozilla.org staff member
<http://www.mozilla.org/about/staff>. Speaking of which, is that
document linked to from anywhere? If an outsider goes to
http://mozilla.org/ for the first time and navigates to the About page,
is there any way they will find that document? Not even the site map
mentions it.

Re: WAYYYY OT now -- Re: [OT] Re: Thumbnail links won't open in 1.5

Gervase Markham
Jonas Joergensen wrote:
> ...not to mention a mozilla.org staff member
> <http://www.mozilla.org/about/staff>. Speaking of which, is that
> document linked to from anywhere? If an outsider goes to
> http://mozilla.org/ for the first time and navigates to the About page,
> is there any way they will find that document? Not even the site map
> mentions it.

Yes, that's a bit of an issue. I've noticed that. Could you file a bug?

Thanks :-)

Gerv

gwtc wrote:
> well, thats just a discussion between you and him.  And just who's this
> Gervase Markham anyways?

Gervase at your service ;-)

This newsgroup is a catch-all; basically if we can't persuade you to
take off-topic discussion to some other hierarchy or group entirely,
then it should go here.

Gerv

Re: WAYYYY OT now -- Re: [OT] Re: Thumbnail links won't open in 1.5

Michael Lefevre
On 2006-01-27, Gervase Markham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Jonas Joergensen wrote:
>> ...not to mention a mozilla.org staff member
>> <http://www.mozilla.org/about/staff>. Speaking of which, is that
>> document linked to from anywhere? If an outsider goes to
>> http://mozilla.org/ for the first time and navigates to the About page,
>> is there any way they will find that document? Not even the site map
>> mentions it.
>
> Yes, that's a bit of an issue. I've noticed that. Could you file a bug?

bug 226321, which is WORKSFORME.

There's a linked bug about who should, or should not be on the list. As
described at
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/mitchell/archives/2005/02/email_addresses_1.html

it's not entirely clear who is and is not on mozilla.org staff (as
compared to Mozilla Corporation staff and Mozilla Foundation staff), so
it all gets tricky...

--
Michael

Gervase Markham wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
>
>>well, thats just a discussion between you and him.  And just who's this
>>Gervase Markham anyways?
>

> Gervase at your service ;-)
>
> This newsgroup is a catch-all; basically if we can't persuade you to
> take off-topic discussion to some other hierarchy or group entirely,
> then it should go here.
>
> Gerv
But it won't.  People won't want to go somewhere else for off-topic
stuff.  They want to stay in the group that they're visiting.  It was
tried on the secnews server.  Everyone was told to take their
off-topic stuff to Jay's off-topic site at UFAQ.  I believe it was a
failure.

--
Time for a change

Re: WAYYYY OT now -- Re: [OT] Re: Thumbnail links won't open in 1.5

Jay Garcia
On 27.01.2006 11:16, gwtc wrote:

> off-topic stuff to Jay's off-topic site at UFAQ.  I believe it was a
> failure.

Failure is too kind a word ... But in the long run I'm sorta glad they
didn't come.

--
Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

gwtc wrote:
> But it won't.  People won't want to go somewhere else for off-topic
> stuff.  They want to stay in the group that they're visiting.

And it would be far more convenient for me to throw my litter on the
pavement rather than taking it home or waiting until I see the next bin.
But it doesn't mean I do that.

Gerv

Re: WAYYYY OT now -- Re: [OT] Re: Thumbnail links won't open in 1.5

Jonas Jørgensen
Michael Lefevre wrote:

>>>...not to mention a mozilla.org staff member
>>><http://www.mozilla.org/about/staff>. Speaking of which, is that
>>>document linked to from anywhere? If an outsider goes to
>>>http://mozilla.org/ for the first time and navigates to the About page,
>>>is there any way they will find that document? Not even the site map
>>>mentions it.
>>
>>Yes, that's a bit of an issue. I've noticed that. Could you file a bug?
>
> bug 226321, which is WORKSFORME.

Okay, so from http://www.mozilla.org/ someone would need to go through
Developers to Hacking to Roles and Responsibilites to mozilla.org Staff.
Gerv, should I still file a bug about getting
<http://www.mozilla.org/about/roles> linked from
<http://www.mozilla.org/about/>? It does seem weird for a page located
under /about to be accessible only through /developer via /hacking.

On 2006-02-02, Jonas Jørgensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>>Yes, that's a bit of an issue. I've noticed that. Could you file a bug?
>>
>> bug 226321, which is WORKSFORME.
>
> Okay, so from http://www.mozilla.org/ someone would need to go through
> Developers to Hacking to Roles and Responsibilites to mozilla.org Staff.
> Gerv, should I still file a bug about getting
> <http://www.mozilla.org/about/roles> linked from
> <http://www.mozilla.org/about/>? It does seem weird for a page located
> under /about to be accessible only through /developer via /hacking.

True. But looking at the text, the stuff on /about doesn't really
naturally link to /roles - roles makes sense in the context of the
developer stuff (and mostly in the context of the situation as it was at
least a couple of years back).  To make sense, the page needs to clarify
the differences and relationships between mozilla.org, Mozilla Corporation
and Mozilla Foundation.  An easier short term solution than rewriting big
chunks of things might be to move the roles page under /developer, where
the rest of the stuff that fits together with it is.

--
Michael