Re: Trying to avoid Outlook -- support for accepting meeting requests

Re: Trying to avoid Outlook -- support for accepting meeting requests

Kevin MacClay-2
Simon Paquet wrote:

> Sorry, but Lightning is not able to accept Outlook meeting requests at
> the moment.
>
> Simon

Has there been any discussion about adding this type of support to
Thunderbird/Lightning?  Has anyone out there already started on this?
Are there any major blockers preventing this development from moving
forward?

I'm interested in becoming involved and contributing in this area.  I
think integration with Outlook meeting requests would make it easier for
people to transition to Thunderbird in an environment where Outlook is
the current heavyweight.  I'm willing to initiate development in this
area.  But I wanted to make sure no one has already started on this and
that the user community agrees there is a need for it.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Kevin MacClay

Re: Trying to avoid Outlook -- support for accepting meeting requests

Rod Whiteley
Kevin MacClay wrote:
> I'm interested in becoming involved and contributing...

Have a look in Bugzilla for the relevant bug report.  If there is none,
create one.  Bug reports often contain technical discussion that might
tell you what you want to know.

If you plan to code this yourself, you can use the bug report to outline
your plans and to submit code.  You can also make direct contact with
other developers to discuss your plans.  It is unusual for this group to
contain technical discussions about how the products are coded, because
Bugzilla provides a better context.

--
Rod Whiteley

Re: Trying to avoid Outlook -- support for accepting meeting requests

Dan Mosedale
Kevin MacClay wrote:

> Simon Paquet wrote:
>
>> Sorry, but Lightning is not able to accept Outlook meeting requests at
>> the moment.
>>
>> Simon
>
> Has there been any discussion about adding this type of support to
> Thunderbird/Lightning?  Has anyone out there already started on this?
> Are there any major blockers preventing this development from moving
> forward?
>
> I'm interested in becoming involved and contributing in this area.  I
> think integration with Outlook meeting requests would make it easier for
> people to transition to Thunderbird in an environment where Outlook is
> the current heavyweight.  I'm willing to initiate development in this
> area.  But I wanted to make sure no one has already started on this and
> that the user community agrees there is a need for it.
>
> What are your thoughts?

I personally wouldn't be averse to this; it seems like good logic to me.
  I'd be interested to hear thoughts from other mozilla calendar hackers.
There isn't really any real support for meeting requests of any sort
just yet; the first thing that we've really got on the books is a plan
to implement iMIP support of some sort for Lightning 0.2.

Dan

Rod Whiteley wrote:
> Kevin MacClay wrote:
>> I'm interested in becoming involved and contributing...
>
> Have a look in Bugzilla for the relevant bug report...

Thanks for the tip.  I checked and bugs 122651 and 59630 are already
tracking this -- bug 59630 with the most recent activity.  I'll follow
up and join in there.

Thanks,
Kevin