Re: Third Party Terms of Service

Gervase Markham
On 07/05/11 23:31, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>   Hypothetical situation: I obtain the Firefox source code and decide to
> make some modifications and redistribute the code (or binaries). Firefox
> as I understand it uses various third party web services by default, for
> instance, to map Wifi data to geographical coordinates, a Google service
> is used. If I change how my modified code interacts with these services
> I would want to ensure my modifications are consistent with the terms of
> service of that web service. What are, exactly, the steps I should take,
> or tell my legal counsel to take, to learn about these terms? I couldn't
> find information on this in either the sources or on Mozilla web sites.

Hi Bjorn,

I've asked Harvey Anderson, Mozilla's counsel, to prepare a statement on
this topic. However, as I'm not his boss, I can't tell you when it will
appear :-)

Gerv

Re: Third Party Terms of Service

Gervase Markham
On 07/05/11 23:31, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>   Hypothetical situation: I obtain the Firefox source code and decide to
> make some modifications and redistribute the code (or binaries). Firefox
> as I understand it uses various third party web services by default, for
> instance, to map Wifi data to geographical coordinates, a Google service
> is used. If I change how my modified code interacts with these services
> I would want to ensure my modifications are consistent with the terms of
> service of that web service. What are, exactly, the steps I should take,
> or tell my legal counsel to take, to learn about these terms? I couldn't
> find information on this in either the sources or on Mozilla web sites.

Harvey Anderson, Mozilla's General Counsel, says:

"Web services are offered under the terms of the service provider
directly to the user (i.e. search and commerce plugins) or they are
licensed to Mozilla and then Mozilla as an entity makes them available
to Firefox users (Geolocation and antiphishing).

The terms for the services offered by Mozilla can be found at
"about:legal" in Firefox. These largely represent terms that the service
providers require that we pass through to users of the builds we offer.
Also, service providers do not necessarily agree to provide their
services to modified Firefox clients under the same terms. For example,
Google is not obligated to provide anti-phishing services to all user
agents based on the Firefox code.  Geolocation is a similar service.
Thus, we would recommend that you contact the service provider directly
to arrange service terms if they're not already publicly available."

I hope that answers your question.

Gerv

Re: Third Party Terms of Service

Reed Loden
On Mon, 30 May 2011 11:13:27 +0100
Gervase Markham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The terms for the services offered by Mozilla can be found at
> "about:legal" in Firefox.

I think you mean "about:rights".

~reed

--
Reed Loden

Re: Third Party Terms of Service

Gen Kanai-2

On 5/30/11 7:57 PM, Reed Loden wrote:
> On Mon, 30 May 2011 11:13:27 +0100
> Gervase Markham <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The terms for the services offered by Mozilla can be found at
>> "about:legal" in Firefox.
> I think you mean "about:rights".
Or even more specifically:

" about:rights#webservices "