Re: Theme Migration for Thunderbird 68

dillinger-2
On 7/20/2019 11:25 AM, Onno Ekker wrote:

> On 7/20/2019 6:01 AM, Andrei Hajdukewycz wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Note that although AMO themes don't work in Thunderbird 60, our
>> migrated themes will -- and it is very simple to "fix" an AMO theme so
>> that it can be uploaded to ATN and work in 60. The manifest.json needs
>> to have the 'id' (UUID for the add-on) in the applications object, as
>> noted in the documentation on developers.thunderbird.net
>> <https://developer.thunderbird.net/add-ons/web-extension-themes#use-a-manifest-json-file>.
>> Our validator will not accept themes without a UUID set, so no broken
>> themes can be uploaded. This is necessary because we don't sign
>> add-ons. When AMO signs a theme with no UUID, they generate and set
>> one in the signing data. Thunderbird 60.* does not read signing data
>> correctly. 68+ does, which is why themes downloaded from AMO work on
>> 68 but not on 60.
>>

> I have a question about this, which holds for all extensions having a
> manifest.json.
>
> When you look at the documentation on MDN, you see that the key
> applications is replaced by browser_specific_settings:
>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExtensions/manifest.json/browser_specific_settings
>
> What is the preferred way to specify the id for Thunderbird? The old
> applications key that is not documented on MDN anymore, or the new
> browser_specific_settings, which looks weird since Thunderbird is not a
> browser…
>
> Onno

For those that, like me, wonder what this is about, a link to the
conversation on Google Groups, which also answers Onno's question:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tb-planning/tT7SsFbS1Qc

Re: Theme Migration for Thunderbird 68

WaltS48-9
On 7/20/19 1:46 PM, dillinger wrote:

> On 7/20/2019 11:25 AM, Onno Ekker wrote:
>> On 7/20/2019 6:01 AM, Andrei Hajdukewycz wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Note that although AMO themes don't work in Thunderbird 60, our
>>> migrated themes will -- and it is very simple to "fix" an AMO theme so
>>> that it can be uploaded to ATN and work in 60. The manifest.json needs
>>> to have the 'id' (UUID for the add-on) in the applications object, as
>>> noted in the documentation on developers.thunderbird.net
>>> <https://developer.thunderbird.net/add-ons/web-extension-themes#use-a-manifest-json-file>.
>>>
>>> Our validator will not accept themes without a UUID set, so no broken
>>> themes can be uploaded. This is necessary because we don't sign
>>> add-ons. When AMO signs a theme with no UUID, they generate and set
>>> one in the signing data. Thunderbird 60.* does not read signing data
>>> correctly. 68+ does, which is why themes downloaded from AMO work on
>>> 68 but not on 60.
>>>

>> I have a question about this, which holds for all extensions having a
>> manifest.json.
>>
>> When you look at the documentation on MDN, you see that the key
>> applications is replaced by browser_specific_settings:
>>
>> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExtensions/manifest.json/browser_specific_settings
>>

>> What is the preferred way to specify the id for Thunderbird? The old
>> applications key that is not documented on MDN anymore, or the new
>> browser_specific_settings, which looks weird since Thunderbird is not a
>> browser…
>>
>> Onno
>>

> For those that, like me, wonder what this is about, a link to the
> conversation on Google Groups, which also answers Onno's question:
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tb-planning/tT7SsFbS1Qc

Interesting. There are two archives.

<https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/tb-planning/>

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://www.ghacks.net/2019/07/18/how-to-disable-the-email-signature-in-avast-free-antivirus/